Page 33 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2328293031323334353637384383 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by npcmoses139 View Post
    I would like to try out the testing 2 rom, but I downloaded it and I get a .rar file. What do I do with the .rar file?
    Google winrar
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Is the trimmed version just without the progs like winrar, dashwire, etc or is there more missing? If I just want to install my own progs is the trimmed version the way to go?
  3.    #643  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post
    Is the trimmed version just without the progs like winrar, dashwire, etc or is there more missing? If I just want to install my own progs is the trimmed version the way to go?
    The trimmed version is the "stock" Verizon version, stripped of a whole bunch of useless stuff (random HTML files, etc), and with quite a few .EXE's UPX'd.

I recommend starting from the Testing 2 ROM. You can still delete/remove programs you don't want/need, and it does have a bit of room left over for the odd program.

Heck, you could drop Power Point alone and net over 2 megs....
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The trimmed version is the "stock" Verizon version, stripped of a whole bunch of useless stuff (random HTML files, etc), and with quite a few .EXE's UPX'd.

I recommend starting from the Testing 2 ROM. You can still delete/remove programs you don't want/need, and it does have a bit of room left over for the odd program.

Heck, you could drop Power Point alone and net over 2 megs....
    Is there a tutorial on how to use the "kitchen" to remove programs? That's what you have to use right?
  5.    #645  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post
    Is there a tutorial on how to use the "kitchen" to remove programs? That's what you have to use right?
    This thread?

Seriously though, there's lots of GREAT posts in here and the tools/kitchen isn't that hard to use. Play with it a bit, and you can probably figure it out yourself.

And if you (the general "you", not "you" specifically) can't be troubled to read through some posts on here to learn what to do, you certainly have no business trying to cook a ROM. There's very little (if any) documentation on what file does what, so 1000x more research is needed on what do DO with those files than how to add/delete them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Painter_ View Post
    Google winrar
    Thank you Painter.
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    This thread?

Seriously though, there's lots of GREAT posts in here and the tools/kitchen isn't that hard to use. Play with it a bit, and you can probably figure it out yourself.

And if you (the general "you", not "you" specifically) can't be troubled to read through some posts on here to learn what to do, you certainly have no business trying to cook a ROM. There's very little (if any) documentation on what file does what, so 1000x more research is needed on what do DO with those files than how to add/delete them.
    Sorry...I'll have to search a little more...I tried but couldn't find anything specific to removing programs...I read quite a bit of this thread on vacation but didn't plan on cooking a rom so I'll have to go back and look...
    On Hold? ok...
    I also just noticed that my MMS is gone. Should've known that would've happened, though. Installing a Sprint ROM on a Verizon phone, knowing that Sprint doesn't support MMS. Any fix? I'm downloading the Verizon MMS application mentioned in the WM6 Threaded SMS install thread... Hopefully that works.
    [QUOTE=Ebag333;1455648]Very odd. The stripped ROM is especially curious since it's a blend of WM5, WM6.0, and WM6.1.

Which full WM6 did you use?

QUOTE]

wm6testing2 the oddest thing about that one was it saw an unknown card inserted until i installed the drivers. then didnt see any card at all. ah well thats my luck. if theres a way to break it i will..
  11.    #651  
    Quote Originally Posted by fiktion View Post
    I also just noticed that my MMS is gone. Should've known that would've happened, though. Installing a Sprint ROM on a Verizon phone, knowing that Sprint doesn't support MMS. Any fix? I'm downloading the Verizon MMS application mentioned in the WM6 Threaded SMS install thread... Hopefully that works.
    Hmm. WM6 actually has MMS listed under messaging. I haven't tested it (other than verifying you can open a new message) as Sprint doesn't support it.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfone View Post
    wm6testing2 the oddest thing about that one was it saw an unknown card inserted until i installed the drivers. then didnt see any card at all. ah well thats my luck. if theres a way to break it i will..
    Drivers?

Drivers on your PC, or PPC?

If you're getting asked for drivers on your PC, then likely you need to reformat your card. You *DID* format it before flashing....right?
    Hmm. WM6 actually has MMS listed under messaging. I haven't tested it (other than verifying you can open a new message) as Sprint doesn't support it.

Drivers?

Drivers on your PC, or PPC?

If you're getting asked for drivers on your PC, then likely you need to reformat your card. You *DID* format it before flashing....right?
    drivers for WiFi card.
  13.    #653  
    Quote Originally Posted by flipfone View Post
    drivers for WiFi card.
    Oooh, I thought you meant SD card.

Sure your drivers support WM6?
    you know. i really didnt think of that... ill check when i get home and let you know.
    so.. the verizon mms application didn't work. i'm using the take 2, so far no complaints other than the mms. i suppose i will try the wm6 one... im hesitant, though, because i've got a 700w, as i stated. but, it's worth a shot.
    Alright, so WM6v2 is installing on my phone right now... Hopefully this works pretty well, if not, I'll go back to WM5. I can't wait to get my damn 700wx, though, I feel so out of date with the 700w.
  17.    #657  
    Quote Originally Posted by fiktion View Post
    I can't wait to get my damn 700wx, though, I feel so out of date with the 700w.
    And that with the 800w less than 2 weeks away.

I think you're the first that's flashed WM6 on a 700w. Let us know how it works. Definatly try a CPU Scalar, I think it might make the difference between unusable and tolarable.
    It is so totally tolerable.

I can confirm working on a Verizon 700w!

The speed is not bad at all. I'm very impressed. There's not much difference in speed between the WM5v2 and the WM6v2. I'm loving this so far!
    cool thats great! fiktion, glad to hear. in other news my drivers for my WiFi card dont have wm6 listed to ill be a googling till i find something updated. not sure if ill be flashing back again this week as im waiting for a phone interview, and i dont wanna miss it.
    Hey Ebag, suggestion since we seem to be having issues now with different people asking about different versions of the roms...

Should have a naming convention such as...

WM5-Stripped
    WM5Vr1.0RC1 WM5Vr1.0RC2 WM5FinalVr1.0
    WM6-Stripped
    WM6Vr1.RC1

etc...

If we use naming conventions like this on the files it should make life much easier for people trying to figure out what is what...

And could be more in line with what people are used to seeing when using software.

Instead of us having 3-4 messages about a problem and just trying to figure out what rom they are using should consider a better naming convention.

Note.. Atleast I got my laptop up and running now... Still behind though... You would think when using a prepackaged web site setup it would be easy but sometimes having a few choices is a BAD thing... LOL

Do you have all of your rom downloads in an easy to use "package" ?
    I am going to start putting the roms and other utilities up on my web site to have another location to get them from. I can also provide you access to the file area or I can just add them as I can.