Page 2 of 104 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by WMExperts Articles View Post
    Well 2 years into its release and customs ROMs are finally getting the work through for the aging 700wx. Better late than never, eh?
    In all fairness most of that time was waiting for Sprint to release the 1.15 update (released August of last year). So it's really only been 9 months. (Yeah, it's still far too long. )
  2.    #22  
    Updated the kitchen in the 2nd post. Really bumping into the filesize limit, only 9 kb away now, hehe.

Quite a few minor bug fixes and changes. AddFile is supported via batch script now (similar method to DelFile, simply drop the files you want to add in .\Cooking\ToAdd\ and run the batch script).

I've also included in the tools a certificate signing program. You can use this to sign your applications/dll's so that they'll be trusted and won't get those annoying popups asking if you want to run them.

The problem is that the reg key to register that certificate is in HKLM. I haven't been able to successfully flash a ROM with a custom (or even extracted) HKLM, WM doesn't load properly at all. I can do the HKCU, which will be nice for a handful of mods, but we either need a way to flash with a custom HKLM, or figure out a way to trigger an autoinstaller after flash that'd install the special reg keys....
    This is where I know the XDA community is awesome... I was following you until the HKLM issues. I flashed my phone twice with your kitchen... when it boils down to reg keys and that language in hex, I am a retard.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    This is where I know the XDA community is awesome... I was following you until the HKLM issues. I flashed my phone twice with your kitchen... when it boils down to reg keys and that language in hex, I am a retard.
    Just curious, but did you make any changes, or was it pretty much a stock flash? I'd be curious to know what you changed (and what you thought of the kitchen). Also, are you on Sprint or Verizon?

Can someone with a Verizon phone dump their HKLM/HKCU from the registry, and either post it here or send it to me? I'd like to do some diffs and make sure that there's nothing unexpected in one vs the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Just curious, but did you make any changes, or was it pretty much a stock flash? I'd be curious to know what you changed (and what you thought of the kitchen). Also, are you on Sprint or Verizon?

Can someone with a Verizon phone dump their HKLM/HKCU from the registry, and either post it here or send it to me? I'd like to do some diffs and make sure that there's nothing unexpected in one vs the other.
    The Kitchen is VERY simple. Reminds me of the apache kitchen I've used in the past. Def not for the weak of heart but anyone who knows how to manipulate windows files won't have a problem. I did a stock flash just to see if it worked but I didn't dare make any changes due to your warnings as of the last post... Sprint User here. do you think I should do a change? I mean, I didn't get the thing to brick... but I didn't think that was the point. I had a ton of free space, so thats always nice, seemed zippy too. I'd love to put some of my programs in there and have them auto register instead of having to manually put in my serial numbers.
    I had a ton of free space, so thats always nice, seemed zippy too. I'd love to put some of my programs in there and have them auto register instead of having to manually put in my serial numbers.
    I like the idea of the free space = snappy device, but adding programs is the confusing part. What type of programs do you add? I would think it would be difficult to upgrade, or personalize apps in the ROM (I could be wrong though). I am one of those 'weak at hearts' you mentioned, but if I can find a real cheap WX on ebay, I am definetly giving this a shot!!!!
  7.    #27  
    The Kitchen is VERY simple. Reminds me of the apache kitchen I've used in the past. Def not for the weak of heart but anyone who knows how to manipulate windows files won't have a problem.
    Well at this point it's intended to be pretty simple.

And if you think you need to know how to manipulate files/folders with this, you should try doing it all by hand.

I did a stock flash just to see if it worked but I didn't dare make any changes due to your warnings as of the last post... Sprint User here. do you think I should do a change? I mean, I didn't get the thing to brick... but I didn't think that was the point. I had a ton of free space, so thats always nice, seemed zippy too. I'd love to put some of my programs in there and have them auto register instead of having to manually put in my serial numbers.
    To be honest, as long as you follow my steps you probably won't brick your phone. I've been flashing my phone several times a day, every day, and have had no problems that couldn't be fixed by reflashing.

The problems I mentioned in the last few posts were due to me (trying to) use a custom HKLM registry branch (default.hv in the ROM). But all that caused was WM to load funky (and not load completely), a reflash fixed it pretty handily.

In order to have your programs register, you'd need to extract the registry keys they create when registered, and drop them into the registry dump (if they're HKCU keys. If they're HKLM, at the moment you're out of luck).

Auto-registering would be nice, but to me that's not the key point of it. The key point is really two-fold. One, to free up space and hopefully make the device a bit more zippy (which from my completely unscientific test, it does speed it up a bit). The other would be to having programs that you want installed by default on your PPC, so you don't have to reinstall them. Additionally, if a program tends to run slower on your SD Card (but you don't want to take up the room on your PPC), you can drop it into the ROM as a way of essentially extending your storage space.

Anyway, start with the trimmed ROM I posted above, and go from there.

Anymore I don't even dump the ROM and rebuild the dump. Takes too long, and once I know what I want to remove/add it's faster to have it in the \ToAdd\ and \ToRemove\ directories, and add/remove them directly. But for learning, dumping it makes it a lot simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    I like the idea of the free space = snappy device
    Free space does not directly make your device more snappy. What it does do is trim down the \windows\ directory, which means when that dir is parsed by any applications trying to use it, it doesn't take as long. The trimmed ROM I posted above removes approx 4 megs over 330 files. That's a lot of files for a dinky little 312 mhz processor to go through! I can definatly see how having all those files in a core directory would contribute towards slowdowns.

, but adding programs is the confusing part. What type of programs do you add? I would think it would be difficult to upgrade, or personalize apps in the ROM (I could be wrong though).
    The ones you'd put in the ROM are the ones you aren't going to upgrade (or at least not upgrade often).

Like, say, the Java runtime. For me I'd probably put the Microsoft Reader there, I use it a lot and the app hasn't been updated in years (and it's a pretty big application, a perfect example of an app to drop in ROM). Other OEM type applications (such at the HTC streaming video player) would also be a good idea.

For upgrading, you could choose one of two paths. One would be to reflash with a new ROM (not so horrible if you do it once or twice a year). The other would be to simply install the updated version over the ROM version.

I am one of those 'weak at hearts' you mentioned, but if I can find a real cheap WX on ebay, I am definetly giving this a shot!!!!
    Come on, all the cool kids are doing it!
    Be careful where you host your files, palm might come after you like they did with shadowmite
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    very interesting stuff...what would be needed to use this process to upgrade the 700wx to WM6?
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    Be careful where you host your files, palm might come after you like they did with shadowmite
    Good point. So far I don't *THINK* I've released anything that they could come after me for, but if they decide to I can always take down the offending material and teach you all how to do this (which is what the kitchen is there for ).

You know, "light a man a fire, keep him warm for a night--light a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life" type stuff.

Err, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
    very interesting stuff...what would be needed to use this process to upgrade the 700wx to WM6?
    Not sure it's entirely possible, nor would I personally want it.

The 700wx doesn't have near enough memory for it to run smoothly. The Mogul (which is a faster CPU, same amount of memory) runs like a dog with WM6.
  11.    #31  
    Success!

I've managed to add the test certificate to the HKLM branch, without modifying the default.hv file.

It's actually really simple, and the way that the carriers do it. Simply modify the *.provxml file of your choice, and away you go. I chose the mxip_wpc_4.provxml to use.

As an example, to add the test cert (the one that's now included in my kitchen, so you can "certify" any program you want now), add this code to one of the povxml files.

Code:
    	<!-- Our Custom Privileged Test Cert -->

<characteristic type="Privileged Execution Trust Authorities">
    		<characteristic type="8aeb6e720079eb0494ae9be32cb13a9e3687d913">
    			<parm name="EncodedCertificate" value="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" />
    		</characteristic>
    	</characteristic>

<characteristic type="SPC">
    		<characteristic type="8aeb6e720079eb0494ae9be32cb13a9e3687d913">
    			<parm name="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" />
    			<parm name="Role" value="222" />
    		</characteristic>
    	</characteristic>
    Incidentally, the Messaging files included here on the board utilize the test cert. So if you add this cert to the provxml file, you should be able to add the files to the ROM. I'm flashing my phone as I type to test this theory.

Interestingly enough, there's a comment in one of the provxml files (2) that reads:

Code:
    <!-- Microsoft - THESE ARE NOT TEST CERTS -->
    I was sorely tempted to include the test cert in that section.
    Is there any way to disable certs stuff completely?
  13.    #33  
    Is there any way to disable certs stuff completely?
    For installing, yes. For running apps, I don't believe so. And I've looked far and wide for a method to do so....
    For installing, yes. For running apps, I don't believe so. And I've looked far and wide for a method to do so....
    ok.

it would be nice if you can find someone who has upgraded an older wm5 unit into wm6 via unoffical methods. then you can shadow his method. if not then it will be big news if someone is able to do it

If wm5 is not that much different than wm6, it might be doable, (ie: like win95 to win98 to winME.... but if its like making win98 into win2000.. that would not be possible)
  15.    #35  
    ok.

it would be nice if you can find someone who has upgraded an older wm5 unit into wm6 via unoffical methods. then you can shadow his method. if not then it will be big news if someone is able to do it

If wm5 is not that much different than wm6, it might be doable, (ie: like win95 to win98 to winME.... but if its like making win98 into win2000.. that would not be possible)
    Once again, my interest isn't in upgrading to WM6.

The 700wx, as much as I love it, simply doesn't have the resources for running WM6. It'd be like using a 700w, ugh. (Sorry all you poor 700w users. )

If someone can figure out a way, more power to them. Don't forget though that there are quite a few Mogul users (which has same memory, faster processor) that have downgraded to WM5 because WM6 runs horrible on it. Having used one, I can't blame 'em.

At this point I can easily add proggies and even register them if need be to my ROM, so I've achieved really what I was looking for when I started. Anything else from here on out is gravy.
    ...At this point I can easily add proggies and even register them if need be to my ROM, so I've achieved really what I was looking for when I started. Anything else from here on out is gravy.

The gravy I am looking for is WM6's PocketOutlook.
    Once again, my interest isn't in upgrading to WM6.

The 700wx, as much as I love it, simply doesn't have the resources for running WM6. It'd be like using a 700w, ugh. (Sorry all you poor 700w users. )

If someone can figure out a way, more power to them. Don't forget though that there are quite a few Mogul users (which has same memory, faster processor) that have downgraded to WM5 because WM6 runs horrible on it. Having used one, I can't blame 'em.

At this point I can easily add proggies and even register them if need be to my ROM, so I've achieved really what I was looking for when I started. Anything else from here on out is gravy.
    ok, I think th task would be to integrate "some" functions from wm6 to wm5

what about install some AKU upgrade so we would have the latest 3.5? aku?
    I also can't get "REVERSE" dun working with my unit..
    Besides stripping the rom only, is there any working full roms.?
  18.    #38  
    ok, I think th task would be to integrate "some" functions from wm6 to wm5
    That I would love to do. I need a file dump of a 750 though to get it to work really, something I haven't been able to find yet. (I've managed to get the ROM, but can't get them to dump with the different tools I've tried.)

what about install some AKU upgrade so we would have the latest 3.5? aku?
    The trick there once again is finding the files (and matching registry keys). It's a pain, really (ESPECIALLY the reg keys) to try and get it from someone's kitchen, since all the files are jumbled together.

I also can't get "REVERSE" dun working with my unit..
    Reverse DUN? As in your phone using your PC's connection to get to the web from your phone? Not sure I see the point of that.

Besides stripping the rom only, is there any working full roms.?
    I have one, though it's not really...working. I mean it works, just fine, but I've tried integrating the 750's threaded SMS, and it doesn't really function the way it does when it's installed seperately. It appears to me that when installed seperately all you're really doing is using the 750's tmail.exe, basically overlaying the threaded functionality over the existing one (so it's still the 700's actually messaging, just you see it in threaded form if that makes any sense).

With it in the ROM, that functionality is gone, so it doesn't work right. It's also extremely laggy and slow, not sure why, it's not a system resource issue. I suspect it's either the 705's messaging stuff screwing up (IE: looking for a file it's missing over and over again) or some of the registry stuff is goofing it up.

Like I said....really need a full dump of the 750's ROM (or even just the \Windows\ directory....and the registry would be nice...). If I had that I could start porting stuff back. Unfortunatly there's no kitchens out there for the 750, just complete ROM's.
    Like I said....really need a full dump of the 750's ROM (or even just the \Windows\ directory....and the registry would be nice...). If I had that I could start porting stuff back. Unfortunatly there's no kitchens out there for the 750, just complete ROM's.
    Can you ask someone to dump their ROM from a 750 with the grab_it tool I have seen on XDA. That's what I used to dump my 700 ROM.

I would love to just have a stripped ROM, with the threaded SMS, the HTML poutlook, and SDHC compatability.

Has this been confimred to work on a Verizon phone. I know there is speculation that you can flash the ROM using the Sprint tool by removing the firmware.bin file. But is this confirmed working. I would hate to brick my phone.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    Has this been confimred to work on a Verizon phone. I know there is speculation that you can flash the ROM using the Sprint tool by removing the firmware.bin file. But is this confirmed working. I would hate to brick my phone.
    Not yet. Still waiting for a vict....er...volunteer.