Page 16 of 104 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666 ... LastLast
  1.    #301  
    HTML e-mail was a "meh" for me. I saw zero advantages with WM6 and several disadvantages (no palm tweaks, slower, etc).

This is why I'm sticking with WM5.
    ebag, or anyone who can help,

I am still trying to cook my own ROM. I've followed the directions to a "T" on how to remove files.

Run Tear Down ROM, copy files from Dump to ToRemove, run Delete ROM Files, and check in Dump folder to see if they've been deleted, and the files are still there.

I've tried putting files in ToAdd folder, run Add ROM Files and check in Dump folder and the files are not there.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Any other suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
    ebag, or anyone who can help,

I am still trying to cook my own ROM. I've followed the directions to a "T" on how to remove files.

Run Tear Down ROM, copy files from Dump to ToRemove, run Delete ROM Files, and check in Dump folder to see if they've been deleted, and the files are still there.

I've tried putting files in ToAdd folder, run Add ROM Files and check in Dump folder and the files are not there.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Any other suggestions?
    OKay to delete the files run this.

1 run 1-Tear Down ROM.bat <--This will move the .nbo to the Original folder and leave imgfs_data_raw.bin and imgfs_raw_removed.bin in the Cooking folder.
    2 run 4-Dump ROM (Raw).bat <--This will create the Dump folder in the Cooking folder.
    3. copy files you want to remove the the "ToRemove" folder
    4. delete the "dump" folder
    5. run 2-Delete ROM files.bat
    6. run 4-Dump ROM (Raw).bat <--This will recreate the Dump folder in the Cooking folder.

Now see if your files are removed. If they have been then,

7. 6-Finalize ROM.bat <--This will build and put the .nb0 file in your root kitchen directory.
    8. Flash the phone with your new .nbo file

Your issue, is that you are looking back into the original dump folder to see that your files have been removed. You won't see them there because that dump is static. It is from the original imgfs_data file. The changes arenot dynamic and you are deleting them from the imgfs files NOT from the Dump directory. Although, you use the dump directory to find the files to delete. Hope this helps.
    Ok, now it's working.

Obviously I wasn't understanding how that worked.

Thanks Larry
    Last edited by Malachi; 06/11/2008 at 01:04 PM.
  5.    #305  
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    OKay to delete the files run this.
    Thanks ebag.
    Ok, now it's working.

Obviously I wasn't understanding how that worked.

Thanks Larry.
    Fixed it for ya. Glad you got it working.
  7.    #307  
    Fixed it for ya. Glad you got it working.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    1. Place the original (or a trimmed/custom) NapaBoth.nb0 in the \Cooking\ folder.
    2. Run 1 - Tear Down ROM.bat
    3. Run 4 - Dump ROM (Raw).bat
    4. Copy/move/whatever (doesn't matter) pimg.exe from \Cooking\Dump\ to \Cooking\ToDelete\
    5. Make sure that imgfs_raw_data.bin and imgfs_removed_data.bin are in \Cooking\
    6. Run 2 - Delete ROM Files.bat
    7. Verify that you see that pimg.exe was actually deleted. If it wasn't, you did something wrong.
    8. Run 6 - Finalize ROM.bat (you will be skipping add as you're not adding any files from \Cooking\ToAdd\ in this example, and skipping Building the ROM (Raw) because you're not directly changing the dump directory).
    9. Copy NapaBoth.nb0 from your kitchen directory (NOT \Cooking\ or \Cooking\Original\) to your flash card, and flash away.

1 run 1-Tear Down ROM.bat <--This will move the .nbo to the Original folder and leave imgfs_data_raw.bin and imgfs_raw_removed.bin in the Cooking folder.
    2 run 4-Dump ROM (Raw).bat <--This will create the Dump folder in the Cooking folder.
    3. copy files you want to remove the the "ToRemove" folder
    4. delete the "dump" folder
    5. run 2-Delete ROM files.bat
    6. run 4-Dump ROM (Raw).bat <--This will recreate the Dump folder in the Cooking folder.

Now see if your files are removed. If they have been then,

7. 6-Finalize ROM.bat <--This will build and put the .nb0 file in your root kitchen directory.
    8. Flash the phone with your new .nbo file

These posts look suspiciously similar.....

I demand 10% of every penny that Larry makes off his post due to him stealing my post!
    These posts look suspiciously similar.....

I demand 10% of every penny that Larry makes off his post due to him stealing my post!
    hahahahahahaha

As soon I get my penny, you can have your 10%. I didn't look up to see your post, but you are right. Quite similar. I promise I thought through my entire post and wrote it all. I was not paraphrasing you.

Pretty damn funny though.
    Sorry Larry, guess I should check the author of a post before handing out appreciation.
    I was just so excited it worked.

I'm now a happy ROM chef. I just flashed my first personally customized ROM. didn't do much, just removed the Camera, games, & some ringers I didn't need & added some ringers I use. But it's working fine.

What I don't understand is this. I removed several midi files, and they're gone, but still when I drop down the menu for ring tones, say for new email, they still show as options but won't ring if selected. hmph!
    I've read through this thread and searched for an answer but couldn't find one...hopefully I didn't just miss it or search for the wrong thing.

I've followed the fairly simple examples for adding and removing and the files do get removed or added, but they aren't usable.
    For example the RadioWelcome.bmp gets removed and a new one added. A dump confirms that the new file is there. The .nbo file is created and it flashes but the file can not be read or opened.
    I tried to add a mid and mp3 file for ringtones and they show up under the Windows directory but when I try to open them I get this message: The system can not read from the specified device.
    I know the .bmp radio files should be in Windows but I don't know if the .mp3 should be there (or how to put them somewhere else).

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    I will post more information but I am building a site to hopefully help us put all this information in one location...

I have a Wiki, download area, forums and some other stuff...

I am tweaking the "looks" of the site now and when I have some basic stuff up there I will post the site information..

Anyone interested in previewing the site before I post it here that has some knowlege please pm me...

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I have been able to add and remove quite a bit, but is is possible to change the software version number or the carrier tag in the version string? I'd love to encode my name or initials into the version string
  13.    #313  
    Quote Originally Posted by junk0 View Post
    I've followed the fairly simple examples for adding and removing and the files do get removed or added, but they aren't usable.
    So the files you're adding are unreadable on the device, or in Windows?

Sounds to me like you have something seriously wrong. I've never experienced that.

I think you're going to need to provide more details, steps you took exactly. Maybe try posting the files you are trying to add here.

Hmm, it occurs to me...are you just trying to customize some of the files? Be aware that you need to have certain formats setup specifically, for example the radio on/off BMP. If you have it set wrong, it won't work. I recommend getting a decent paint program (GIMP is good) and editing the existing .BMP file, rather than trying to create your own from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by techsign View Post
    I have been able to add and remove quite a bit, but is is possible to change the software version number or the carrier tag in the version string? I'd love to encode my name or initials into the version string
    You can but this would break some stuff most likely. For example the Sudoku I've included in my ROM only works with the Verizon version.

If you still want to change it, look at my version switch mort script (just open with notepad). Note that I tried changing that key via PROVXML, and it kept resetting.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Hmm, it occurs to me...are you just trying to customize some of the files? Be aware that you need to have certain formats setup specifically, for example the radio on/off BMP. If you have it set wrong, it won't work. I recommend getting a decent paint program (GIMP is good) and editing the existing .BMP file, rather than trying to create your own from scratch.
    MSPaint is what I used to modify the radio on/off BMPs and it has worked fine. I used the Delete File then Add File process rather than Dumping and Rebuilding though.

I'm downloading your custom rom now to take a look at the MortScript app, up until now I had been working with modifying the official files.

EDIT: I see, you are changing the version through a registry modification. So I guess that means that no one has (assuming anyone else has been trying) been able to change the version at the flash level?

One thing I find odd is if I flash with the raw SDUpdate the version changes to 1.15 but when I use my cooked one the version remains the same. 1.14 in my untouched phone and 1.15 in the updated one. Strange.

EDIT AGAIN:
    After the SDUpdater reboots the phone it updates the version number. I still cannot figure out how it is doing it though :/
    Where ever the Start>Settings>System>About>Software Version is stored is where the SDUpdater is writing to. Same location must be where the version key is being wrote on reboot. I'll post more once I can change it.
    Last edited by techsign; 06/12/2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Smokey the Bear says "Only editing can prevent double posting"
    HTML e-mail was a "meh" for me. I saw zero advantages with WM6 and several disadvantages (no palm tweaks, slower, etc).

This is why I'm sticking with WM5.

What specific "tweaks" are you referring to? One of the main reasons I like WM6 is the web browser actually works unlike WM5.

The major issues I see with WM6 on the WX is (if you want to call them major):

1. When you make a call you do not see the box showing you who you are connected to and the time of the call. You can get this box if you get on a call and then tap in the in the box on the Today screen saying "Type a name or number".

2. If you lock your phone, you need to click the black function button twice before attempting to enter your numeric password. This was automatically done in WM5.

Otherwise, I am able to use all the expected palm features I was used to.

PS.
    I noticed they still have the annoying green blinking light to let you know you have service. Totally lame and should blink when you have a message, appt or missed a call.
  16.    #316  
    Quote Originally Posted by fleiscpj View Post
    PS.
    I noticed they still have the annoying green blinking light to let you know you have service. Totally lame and should blink when you have a message, appt or missed a call.
    I believe that there's a MortScript out there that does this.
    Continued from above. When adding .bmp and .mp3 the will not open on device.

The .bmp which I tried by themselves are attached.

Steps:
    1) copy .nb0 into Cooking folder
    2)run bat 1 - tear down rom
    2 files Imgfs... created in cooking folder
    3)Run bat 4 to dump rom - dump folder will all files created in Cooking
    special note - near the end of this dump I get a recmod crash message from WinXP twice but process seems to continue fine.
    4)copy the two sprint radiowelcome and radiogoodbye bmp files to Cooking/ToRemove
    5)run bat 2 - completes without errors
    6)Delete Rom and re-run bat4 to dump files... .bmp files are no longer there.
    7)Copy new .bmp files with same name and attributes (color depth, size, etc) to cooking/ToAdd folder.
    8)Run bat 3 - to add - it completes successfully
    9)Delete Rom and re-run bat4 to dump files... new .bmp files are now there and I can open them on my computer.
    10)Delete Dump folder
    11)Run bat 6 - finalize rom - it completes without error.
    12)Copy .nb0 file from root Kitchen folder to SD card and flash treo.

-I've tried skipping steps 3,6,10 (no dumps) Everything run successfully but the files will still not open.
    -I had a space in the path of the kitchen bat files ie - d:\treo files\700wkitchen\... so I removed the space but it hasn't made a difference.
    -I have copied the same files from the SD card after the load to the Windows directory where the ROM already shows them. Once this is done they work fine. So the files don't seem to be a problem... but Windows recognizing their location or that they are valid is a problem. When I do a hard reset they don't work again and I have to copy them from the card again. Something about adding files is broken for me but removing them seems to work.

If you have any ideas please let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  18.    #318  
    Quote Originally Posted by junk0 View Post
    I have copied the same files from the SD card after the load to the Windows directory where the ROM already shows them. Once this is done they work fine. So the files don't seem to be a problem... but Windows recognizing their location or that they are valid is a problem. When I do a hard reset they don't work again and I have to copy them from the card again.
    If you manually copy them into the \Windows\ dir and do a hard reset, of course you're going to have to copy them over again. You just deleted it with the hard reset.

Sounds like you're donig everything right. The only question I have is how you're creating the .BMP's, there may be something in the creation of them that it doesn't like.

I had trouble with BMP's created from scratch. What I did was grab a copy of them original BMP's, open them in GIMP, open the one I wanted, copy that, paste into the original, and save. That's worked for me.

If that's not working for you....hmm...I'm afraid I'm scratching my head as to the problem.
    I find this to be faster than WM5 on my 700w, but then again the 700W just laying there as a backup and did this out of curiosity.
  20.    #320  
    UPDATE

I've now provided a GUI wrapper to my kitchen. This does NOT remove the need to download the current files from 4 Shared. Place the GUI into the root directory of the kitchen, and double click Palm Treo 700w Kitchen.exe to launch.

I've included the source code if anyone cares.

Please reports bugs/problems/suggestions/ideas/jokes/etc to this thread.

You can find the .ZIP in the second post. (Not hotlinking as it may be removed at some point.)