Page 13 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 2070
  1. #241  
    When you put the dummy files in the "todelete" folder you put the module name or do you have to put all the file names in the module as well?

    And for the straight files in the directory that are not modules you just put those names in the "todelete" folder I assume...

    Can you go through the process of what to do with the CAB file for a program you want to install?

    How do you go about extracting the files from the CAB and putting them in place then making the changes to the registry to complete the process?

    Again, I have seen brief mentions or hints but no definitive "This is the way you do this" kind of thing...
  2.    #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by Landon.Epps View Post
    Quick question for anyone what is the point of a module and can you upx an exe in there?
    Don't worry about a module. You cannot edit/modify/create/etc them.

    To UPX one, you'd have to remove the module (delete the file) and then readd it as a normal file (you cannot add it as a module). Theoretically modules will run faster than regular files. In practice I haven't noticed a difference, even when UPXing (which actually slows it down a bit).

    This is how I shrunk the Mobile Office files.



    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    What is the ROM dump?
    Errr, have you not even played with the tools in my kitchen at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    I see directories of files (exe, dll, hv) that have the same names as files in the windows directory...

    Are these in fact files from the windows directory?
    See third post disclaimer 3a.

    (I've always wanted to do that. )


    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    If so how does the ROM create the other directories and put stuff in the directories?
    initflashfiles.dat

    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    I have been "researching" cab files... I haven't gotten anywhere really with them yet but they do seem to look a lot like the "module directories" in the dump folder.
    See disclaimer 3b.

    Seriously though.....get WinCE Cab Manager from OCP Software. This makes playing with CAB's *MUCH* easier.

    Cab's have three parts to them.

    • Adding files
    • Adding shortcuts
    • Adding registry keys


    If you either extract the CAB (via Cab Manager) or install and steal the installed files (ghetto method), you can get the first.

    The second you can create yourself via PROVXML or initflashfiles.dat.

    The third you can either export with Cab Manager, and convert with the REG/RGU to XML converter included with my kitchen, or if the cab has a _setup.xml (open with WinRAR) you can peek inside that file and steal the XML.


    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    And while researching that and looking at the registry stuff I actually ran accross where someone was doing registry edits with .ini files... Do .ini files work with WM? Looked like it would be a good way to add, modify or delete registry keys... Also saw where you could use a .reg file but from the initial information I saw it looked like the .ini process would be a bit smoother way of doing it... You could install .ini files right in the rom and run them once to get stuff done with the registry...
    .ini files aren't used for registry edits, PROVXML files are.


    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    I still have to believe there is a way to edit the roms more fully.. If Sprint was able to create the ROM as an update and made so many changes we should be able to do the same thing....
    Of course Sprint can do more, they have access to the Microsoft tools that are used to build these ROM's from scratch.

    We don't.

    Even still we can:

    • Add files
    • Delete files
    • Move files
    • Add shortcuts
    • Delete (some) shortcuts
    • Move (some) shortcuts
    • Create registry keys
    • Modify registry keys


    The only thing that we can't do is delete registry keys.

    Not sure what else you're looking for.






    /me edits to add the second post

    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    When you put the dummy files in the "todelete" folder you put the module name or do you have to put all the file names in the module as well?
    Just the module/file name.

    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    And for the straight files in the directory that are not modules you just put those names in the "todelete" folder I assume...
    Modules are basically files.

    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Can you go through the process of what to do with the CAB file for a program you want to install?

    How do you go about extracting the files from the CAB and putting them in place then making the changes to the registry to complete the process?

    Again, I have seen brief mentions or hints but no definitive "This is the way you do this" kind of thing...
    CAB's are a step above cooking a ROM. As you seem to have a lot of basic questions on that, I'd start there then move to CAB's.

    That being said, CAB's aren't particularly difficult. I pretty much addressed how to use them above (in answer to another of your questions). There's a LOT of variance between different CAB's, so I can't really go into any more detail without excluding 90% of other CAB's. It's just something you gotta figure out on your own, as it varies from CAB to CAB.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 06/02/2008 at 09:40 AM.
  3. #243  
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rulk
    What is the ROM dump?

    Errr, have you not even played with the tools in my kitchen at all?
    Um, yes.... As I said later.. It looks like a /windows directory... But has directories instead of files where .hv, exe, .dll and other files are concerned. Apparently I wasn't clear... What I meant was can you go through what the things are? Or do you know?


    .ini files aren't used for registry edits, PROVXML files are.
    While looking to "slipstream" winXP I actually ran into someone using .ini files to do a bunch of their modifications.. With them they can be used to edit the registry POST hive creation.

    If you look into slipstreaming winxp they try to trim alot of the excess bloat out of the disk so they can put other software on the disk to install from the initial XP disk and do so unattended... I see ALOT of similarities to what we are doing here...

    By using .ini files they were able to delete, add, modify registry values.. But of course PC's are different so not 100% sure they are compatible...

    As to Utils they have we don't have access to... Someone created the utils out there that are out there some how.. I see there are alot of different programs at Xda developers...
  4. #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Um, yes.... As I said later.. It looks like a /windows directory... But has directories instead of files where .hv, exe, .dll and other files are concerned. Apparently I wasn't clear... What I meant was can you go through what the things are? Or do you know?

    While looking to "slipstream" winXP I actually ran into someone using .ini files to do a bunch of their modifications.. With them they can be used to edit the registry POST hive creation.

    If you look into slipstreaming winxp they try to trim alot of the excess bloat out of the disk so they can put other software on the disk to install from the initial XP disk and do so unattended... I see ALOT of similarities to what we are doing here...

    By using .ini files they were able to delete, add, modify registry values.. But of course PC's are different so not 100% sure they are compatible...

    As to Utils they have we don't have access to... Someone created the utils out there that are out there some how.. I see there are alot of different programs at Xda developers...
    I can tell you it would take ALOT of time to go through what everything in the dump folder is. I don't have that time and I don't think that Ebag does either. I think you can find a lot of information on XDA about all of this stuff. I have not even scratched the surface over there and I have find all kinds of cool ****. The utilities you find on XDA, I believe are programs built by enthusiasts trying to reverse engineer the devices. By reverse engineering, they can try to determine what was initially done and how to customize it. I don't know that any of these files are the ones that Palm, Sprint, VZW, etc, etc use to build the ROM's for our devices.

    I don't know much about streamlining XP, but does XP use hive files to create the registry. I thought that was something for Pocket PCs. Meh, just asking the question.

    Finally, thank you Ebag for the credit as an "expert" ROMer. Although, I do not feel that I am. I am still learning all of this WM stuff. I used to cook the hell out of 650 ROMs, but this is all new to me. I am trying to learn by re-reading this thread and researching over on XDA. I have not even scratched the surface with initflashfiles or provxml. I want to learn and understand the rest first. Thanks for the confidence though.

    Another finally, I have trimmed the WM6 ROM and successfully added SDHC. I like the updates in WM6 and will probably keep that on my device, unless Verizon decides to release a WM6 ROM for our phones. But I am really really happy with the performance of WM6. I have all of my software loaded with the exception of one and while the device is slightly slower, it is still fairly quick. Thanks.
  5. #245  
    Where could I download obtain the WM6 ROM for Sprint? I would like to install and help test if possible. I have work on some ROMs for the 6700 and now the 6800 but the Treo ROM's seem to be a little more difficult to cook.

    Thanks
  6. #246  
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    Another finally, I have trimmed the WM6 ROM and successfully added SDHC. I like the updates in WM6 and will probably keep that on my device, unless Verizon decides to release a WM6 ROM for our phones. But I am really really happy with the performance of WM6. I have all of my software loaded with the exception of one and while the device is slightly slower, it is still fairly quick. Thanks.
    So....would you be willing to share that with the community? Please? Pretty please?
  7. #247  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbrownds View Post
    Where could I download obtain the WM6 ROM for Sprint? I would like to install and help test if possible. I have work on some ROMs for the 6700 and now the 6800 but the Treo ROM's seem to be a little more difficult to cook.

    Thanks
    Don't know

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
    So....would you be willing to share that with the community? Please? Pretty please?
    Sorry. I don't think I am at liberty to do that.
  8. #248  
    Yer killing me Larry. <sniffle sniffle>

    But, I guess I understand.....
  9. #249  
    In for Alltel ROM
  10. #250  
    Quote Originally Posted by PianoProdigy View Post
    In for Alltel ROM
    I don't think you will find an Alltell ROM specifically. Unless they have a SD Card update method. If they don't the best you can do is use the Sprint ROM and then remove and add accordingly from a ROM dump to "make" yourself and Alltell ROM.
  11.    #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Um, yes.... As I said later.. It looks like a /windows directory... But has directories instead of files where .hv, exe, .dll and other files are concerned. Apparently I wasn't clear... What I meant was can you go through what the things are? Or do you know?
    I know what some of them are. Some of them I have no clue. There is no documentation on what does what (at least that I could find).

    .hv are the hive files, which are what creates the registry. As I've said multiple times previously.

    There should only be two, user.hv (which creates HKCU) and default.hv (which creates HKLM).

    The directories are actually what are called "modules". They are essentially simply files that are packaged in a special way. You can delete modules just like you would files, but you cannot add/edit/modify/create modules.


    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    While looking to "slipstream" winXP I actually ran into someone using .ini files to do a bunch of their modifications.. With them they can be used to edit the registry POST hive creation.
    This isn't XP and we aren't slipstreaming. This is an completely different operating system, so don't automatically assume that because something works on XP it will work on WM.


    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    As to Utils they have we don't have access to... Someone created the utils out there that are out there some how.. I see there are alot of different programs at Xda developers...
    Many (most?) of those programs are device/ROM/carrier/something specific. I've tried tons of the different programs out there, what I've compiled into my kitchen are the ones that I've found that work. Some of the ones I've put in my kitchen don't work perfectly (such as the registry teardown/compile ones), but they all work. Nearly all of the other ones I've tried don't.

    Feel free to try out different programs however, and if you find one that works better, let us know.
  12. #252  
    Ok, I am researching a few things at the same time and the whole idea of Slipstreaming XP has alot of the same ideas we are trying here.. Delete as much as you can... Make changes to the registry.. add new stuff you want...

    And yes XP apparently has hives as well from the reading I have done so far...

    I brought up the .ini information because the guy using them pointed to the fact he was using it to do everything basically that we are trying to do here... And it worked better for registry stuff because they ran after the registry was created etc... The reference was more to a fresh install of XP which is very simular to a hard reset on a phone...

    Looking into getting microsofts visual studio but you have to get the professional version to write sw on the phones... I am assuming the normal and even express versions DO work.. Just dont have the additional features the professional version has...

    I know there are a variety of free programs out there and stuff as well. I will be looking into them but the MS package seemed to have alot to give a pretty outstanding head start...
  13. #253  
    there is a WM6 rom for the Treo 700wx.it work well except an intermittent evdo issue.see here:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=397134
  14. #255  
    Ok, so far from looking through xda forums.. I have been able to deduce that the "modules" you are seeing are as I originally suspected.. They are some sort of "cab" type file.. That is why you can NOT modify the files in the dump folder at this time... I haven't compared the single files in the dump directory but I am guessing they are the actual files. Anything that is contained in a directory appears to be compressed in some way.. That would explain why you can't modify anything in the "modules" and get it to work... It would also explain why you can do things with the add/remove files stuff...

    I think I found the utilities you are using and there was some source code to go along with it so I will be looking at it more in depth and see if its the same stuff... I have also been picking up on some other utilities...

    Making this a big priority at this time.. I am also in process of downloading M$'s virtual studio and going to play with that a little bit too...

    Ultimatley I want to have a GUI type program that will show the files as they exist in the rom and let us modify and change them as we want..

    As I work on this you guys continue to see what you can do with the different ROMs, I am guessing when I figure this stuff out and can build a utility for us it should work out pretty well.. Hopefully I can dig out enough information to get it going well...

    If this works I will be setting up a webpage as well.. I paid for some web sites and I am only using one so I can go ahead and host a website dedicated to "cooking roms"...
  15. #256  
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Ok, so far from looking through xda forums.. I have been able to deduce that the "modules" you are seeing are as I originally suspected.. They are some sort of "cab" type file.. That is why you can NOT modify the files in the dump folder at this time... I haven't compared the single files in the dump directory but I am guessing they are the actual files. Anything that is contained in a directory appears to be compressed in some way.. That would explain why you can't modify anything in the "modules" and get it to work... It would also explain why you can do things with the add/remove files stuff...

    I think I found the utilities you are using and there was some source code to go along with it so I will be looking at it more in depth and see if its the same stuff... I have also been picking up on some other utilities...

    Making this a big priority at this time.. I am also in process of downloading M$'s virtual studio and going to play with that a little bit too...

    Ultimatley I want to have a GUI type program that will show the files as they exist in the rom and let us modify and change them as we want..

    As I work on this you guys continue to see what you can do with the different ROMs, I am guessing when I figure this stuff out and can build a utility for us it should work out pretty well.. Hopefully I can dig out enough information to get it going well...

    If this works I will be setting up a webpage as well.. I paid for some web sites and I am only using one so I can go ahead and host a website dedicated to "cooking roms"...
    I am not sure that is entirely accurate. I got SDHC compatibility into my ROM, by removing the sdbus.dll and sdmemory.dll from where they were buried in their respective "directories. I then added the same dll's for SDHC back into the ROM. Now they no longer show up as modules in the dump, but they are there and I can see my SDHC card after a hard reset.
  16.    #257  
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Ok, so far from looking through xda forums.. I have been able to deduce that the "modules" you are seeing are as I originally suspected.. They are some sort of "cab" type file.. That is why you can NOT modify the files in the dump folder at this time... I haven't compared the single files in the dump directory but I am guessing they are the actual files. Anything that is contained in a directory appears to be compressed in some way.. That would explain why you can't modify anything in the "modules" and get it to work... It would also explain why you can do things with the add/remove files stuff...
    I'm a bit confused as to why you're repeating what I've said multiple times previously, and sounding like it's new information.

    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    I am not sure that is entirely accurate. I got SDHC compatibility into my ROM, by removing the sdbus.dll and sdmemory.dll from where they were buried in their respective "directories. I then added the same dll's for SDHC back into the ROM. Now they no longer show up as modules in the dump, but they are there and I can see my SDHC card after a hard reset.
    This is correct. (Though I'm not sure what Rulk said disagree's with this statement.)



    Once again, modules can ONLY be deleted. They cannot be modified or added.

    Not sure I can state it any clearer than that.
  17. #258  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I'm a bit confused as to why you're repeating what I've said multiple times previously, and sounding like it's new information.
    Because it is NOT what you said... You stated you were not sure what a module was in other postings. But you did know you could not mess with them in the dump directory.

    All I was stating is that the modules appear to be very simular to a cab file. It takes the files in the module to make the file as the original name of the "module". That is why it works to use the add/remove directories in your kitchen and you can't directly use the dump directory to change the modules...

    I am guessing at this point this also has something to do with why you can not edit the .hv files fully either. There is some sort of pre/post processing of the .hv files and if they don't look right apparently windows will consider it corrupted and attempt to create its own from scratch.

    Figure out the format and such of the "modules" and you will be able to modify them in the dump directory as they are and not need to use the add/delete file scripts..



    This is correct. (Though I'm not sure what Rulk said disagree's with this statement.)



    Once again, modules can ONLY be deleted. They cannot be modified or added.

    Not sure I can state it any clearer than that.
    Yes at this point this statement is true... But that may change...
    And as for adding them.. I haven't done it myself yet but from what you said earlier you CAN add the file the module is related to by putting a copy of the intended file in the "add" directory... But of course if your just adding a module that is already there thats sort of redundent.. At this time you can NOT mess with the modules in the dump directory at all.. You MUST use the add/delete scripts...

    You seem defensive for whatever reason ebag and you really should not feel such. People just want to know the "what" "why" "how" of the process... If you just say "use this" then they don't understand why you do this or that. Since it is easy to brick your phone if you don't understand whats going on people are more likely to try to understand how it works and why... I am guessing you never have designed something for other people to use and then have to teach them how to use it. Nothing wrong with that but you really shouldn't get defensive when people ask you how or why about something. You keep assuming you have explained all this stuff in some great detail when in fact you briefly mention them at all. You really should go back and try reading what you HAVE said before you say you have already talked about something numerous times.
  18.    #259  
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Because it is NOT what you said... You stated you were not sure what a module was in other postings. But you did know you could not mess with them in the dump directory.
    Way back on the 15th (of last month).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Files you add will not be added as modules (in a folder in the dump). Modules are special, they can't be replaced directly or updated. The best you an do is remove (delete) a module and re-add it as a normal file.

    So yor DLL's will show up in the dump folder, and not in their own folder as a module.

    and more recently on the 2nd (and in a direct reply to one of your posts).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Don't worry about a module. You cannot edit/modify/create/etc them.


    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    All I was stating is that the modules appear to be very simular to a cab file. It takes the files in the module to make the file as the original name of the "module". That is why it works to use the add/remove directories in your kitchen and you can't directly use the dump directory to change the modules...
    Wrong.

    First off, modules are only similar to a CAB in the fact that they're compressed. Other than that, they're totally different.

    Secondly, you can't add directories. Or remove them for that matter. There are no directories. Directories are dynamically generated as part of the flashing process.

    Finally, you can't modify modules in the dump directory because any changes to file size and the program that recompresses it all doesn't know how to handle it. It can't deal with changes, because it has a memory map of how it all should look, and by modifying a module you've screwed it all up.


    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    I am guessing at this point this also has something to do with why you can not edit the .hv files fully either. There is some sort of pre/post processing of the .hv files and if they don't look right apparently windows will consider it corrupted and attempt to create its own from scratch.
    No. It's the way that the teardown/buildup handles the .HV files. The program is the problem. Editing them works, but partway through loading the file it hits a bad chunk of registry and bombs. Thats why editing default.hv (HKLM) will not even let WM boot, while editing user.hv (HKCU) lets it boot but it's all screwed up. HKLM is all pretty much required, HKCU is more "featuers" and "options".

    The program may work better with other phones/manufacturers/carriers/versions/etc, I haven't tested it, and there's no real reason to anyway since you can add/modify registry keys via PROVXML.


    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Figure out the format and such of the "modules" and you will be able to modify them in the dump directory as they are and not need to use the add/delete file scripts..
    The people who have created the programs to tear down and build ROM's have stated that this is neigh impossible without the original tools that were used to build the ROM. Modules are handled specially, and there's no way to reverse engineer that.


    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    And as for adding them.. I haven't done it myself yet but from what you said earlier you CAN add the file the module is related to by putting a copy of the intended file in the "add" directory... But of course if your just adding a module that is already there thats sort of redundent.. At this time you can NOT mess with the modules in the dump directory at all.. You MUST use the add/delete scripts...
    Why would you add a file without deleting the module first? Do you put on a new pair of underwear without taking off the old ones first?

    Additionally, you can delete (remove) modules from the dump directory. Which goes back to what I've said about only being able to delete modules.



    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    You seem defensive for whatever reason ebag and you really should not feel such. People just want to know the "what" "why" "how" of the process... If you just say "use this" then they don't understand why you do this or that. Since it is easy to brick your phone if you don't understand whats going on people are more likely to try to understand how it works and why... I am guessing you never have designed something for other people to use and then have to teach them how to use it. Nothing wrong with that but you really shouldn't get defensive when people ask you how or why about something. You keep assuming you have explained all this stuff in some great detail when in fact you briefly mention them at all.
    Let me put it bluntly, and this is absolutely without any offense intended.

    You don't understand what you're talking about.

    If you have a question, great, post it and I'll do my best to answer. But when I give my answer, don't argue with me and tell me I'm wrong.

    That's not to say I haven't made mistakes, or spoken in error. There are plenty of posts in this thread where I've retracted something I posted earlier. But in the answers I've given to your posts, I'm not wrong.

    I have explained everything in great detail, but my posts assume a certain level of expertise before they really make sense. That's fine, I'm not writing a "guide to flashing for joe-schmoe". I don't want to make flashing sound/seem incredibly easy because A) it's not and B) you can do incredibly amounts of damage if you screw up one step.

    At this point I've had nearly 50 people download my kitchen. 50 have downloaded my initial trimmed rom. Nearly 50 have downloaded my Take 1 and 2 ROM's (between the two). And 50 have downloaded the final ROM I posted.

    While my kitchen might not hold your hand through the process it's easy enough that out of those 200+ downloads I've only had a handful of questions. I've also gotten a handful of responses about how easy it's been. I'm comfortable with that level (requirement) of expertise.


    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    You really should go back and try reading what you HAVE said before you say you have already talked about something numerous times.
    I read every post I make at least once. Nearly always twice. Most posts three, four, or more times. Not because I'm vain, but because I want to be sure that my posts make sense and are clear.

    I also periodically go through the thread and skim over it to make sure that it's all making sense and I haven't missed anything. (I still laugh everytime I see Mal's seal post. )

    Believe me, I'm intimatly familiar with what I've said.
  19. #260  
    I've flashed the WM6? rom in the xda forums successfully.. The ROM version is 5.2.1620 (Build 18125.0.4.2), the on/off screen is verizon wireless. Besides cosmetic changes I am not sure what Microsoft did from 5.0 to 6.0...

    1) Still cannot use my picoblue for reverse dun
    2) still have the full screen/options menu not work problem with opera mobile
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d

Posting Permissions