Page 11 of 104 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Landon.Epps View Post
    I don't think its working too well, ebag did the one you did take a while to boot?
    That sounds very similar to my Verizon WM5 ROM. I think the problem is (as Ebag has stated and I found out first hand), that while you CAN compile it to NapaBoth.nb0 and it will boot, it is just SLOW. There is something going on with the compilation.
    You are probably right, It isn't meant for that format and they probably are a lot of gaps in the file because it has to be the same size. Either that or I took the SD card out on the boot because I didn't want it running the sprint autorun files because I had no idea what they would do to a different ROM that wasn't meant to be run, but I guess they make it bootable .
    You are probably right, It isn't meant for that format and they probably are a lot of gaps in the file because it has to be the same size. Either that or I took the SD card out on the boot because I didn't want it running the sprint autorun files because I had no idea what they would do to a different ROM that wasn't meant to be run, but I guess they make it bootable .
    Did it boot and is it working? Do the WM6 ROM's include the threaded SMS, SDHC, etc, etc?
    I don't know just yet, I am so impatient, so I re-flashed it without removing the SD card and It's booting from that. I'll let you know when it is done, although logically there should be no problems.
    I don't know just yet, I am so impatient, so I re-flashed it without removing the SD card and It's booting from that. I'll let you know when it is done, although logically there should be no problems.
    Anxiously waiting your next post. So this ROM includes threaded SMS and SDHC correct?
    Ebag:

Can you help me again with .hv files. I moved the files into the Cooking directory and the batch files into the root folder. However, not I get an error message that it can not find boot.rgu. Is that something within the .hv file or another tool that I am missing?
    Alright I can help you there move the bat files into the main directory with all the step ones and do it that way. No luck with the flash maybe the 700 doesn't have enough memory to boot it...
    Did you use the Treo 750 05_OS.nb as your starting point or another ROM? I am going to try your ROM tomorrow night. I just got in from the airport and I am not completely thinking clearly and don't want to start flashing a device without enough sleep first. I hope my results are better than yours Landon....
    Yes that is exactly what I did and don't try mine it doesn't work even though logically it should. It just won't get past the bootloader. I have made a WM5 ROM with mobile office on it and will post it tomorrow. Don't use my ROM... unless you know what you are doing
    Yes that is exactly what I did and don't try mine it doesn't work even though logically it should. It just won't get past the bootloader. I have made a WM5 ROM with mobile office on it and will post it tomorrow. Don't use my ROM... unless you know what you are doing
    I am sure most of us would settle with WM5 with the new versions of Outlook and IE installed. I consider that to be the biggest perks of WM6 and the rest you can get with Mobile Office and third party tools.
    My Guess is that the Registry has some settings in it that eat up memory that WM6 expects to be there... If thats the case then simply going through the registry and finding settings for memory usage should do it I would think?

Could you do a Registry dump and check the Wm6 Registry against the WM5 Registry and look for the offending settings?

Also looking forward into getting a handle on how this stuff works...

I have been a bit of a programmer in the past so this stuff should be a piece of cake... Just that I am unfamiliar with the file tree and such currently in use. I didn't worry much about that sort of thing with the programming I did...

Rodney
    Quote Originally Posted by fleiscpj View Post
    I am sure most of us would settle with WM5 with the new versions of Outlook and IE installed. I consider that to be the biggest perks of WM6 and the rest you can get with Mobile Office and third party tools.
    I don't know that there is a difference between the office 6.1 upgrade from microsoft and the office from WM6 (btw - you can d/l the upgrade free, it's just 6+MB on the drive). However, really Outlook would be the one to upgrade - all the features make it pretty nice.

oh, and just to add, Ebag, you are incredible to get this going. I am patiently awating a solution and feel pretty confident you'll be providing it I haven't played with the WM5 roms yet due to lack of time, but the phone is fast enough for me right now to begin with. I would pay for an html email solution at this point - through activesync that is....
    Got a question. First of all, let me freely admit that I am not experienced at cooking ROMs (as if that's not obvious yet from my previous posts). I have never even attempted to do so. But, I do know a little about windows and am fairly technically savy. I have messed around with the Windows registry a little and tweaked a few things.

For reasons my own, I do not want a Treo with a functioning camera. So, rather than physically remove the camera, and thereby reduce my resale value, I went into the registry and searched for "Camera", then took a few of the keys that looked important and deleted them. Now, my Treo "technically" has a camera, but there's no way to use it. If you open "Pictures and Videos" and click on "Camera" nothing happens.

But, the way it stands, every time I do a hard reset I have to again delete the registry keys. So, how difficult would it be for me to use ebagg's kitchen and delete those registry keys in the ROM, and then re-flash it? Is that something a savy computer user could do, or do I need to be a full-fledged nerd?
    I am just a savvy computer user too, it takes about a day to learn, but messing with the registry is not quite so easy. You have to decrypt it and manually edit the .reg files and rebuild it back into the hives.
    sorry for double posting but on the phone you can't edit. I would suggest ebags rom, and witout editing it just use sprite backup. It backs up everything contacts, registry and other databases.
  16.    #216  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
    But, the way it stands, every time I do a hard reset I have to again delete the registry keys. So, how difficult would it be for me to use ebagg's kitchen and delete those registry keys in the ROM, and then re-flash it? Is that something a savy computer user could do, or do I need to be a full-fledged nerd?
    Just cook a ROM and remove the camera program itself.

(don't remember the name off hand, it's not just "camera" but it's fairly obvious.)

/me edits

pimg is one. I seem to recall another.... *shrug*
    Ok so I have some questions...

The ROM is copied to RAM? So the idea is if you strip the ROM you will have more RAM available because there is less ROM to copy to the RAM? As well as faster speed due to less files to go through in RAM ?

So then what does putting programs into the ROM do for you? Just allow you to load the programs up upon a hard reset?

Couldn't you do the same thing then by stripping the ROM and creating a CAB file that contains all the programs you want to run? Then just install THAT cab file?

I haven't messed much with CAB files up to this point. I am now guessing you could take a CAB file and put your registration information in there as well so all you need to do is install the CAB file and its already registered if you include the registry entries with the proper registration codes?

And lastly Can we get a totally Stripped ROM to start from? There are a number of those programs in the "Final" ROM I have other programs I would rather use...

Thanks!

I am playing around with the custom ROM stuff otherwise as I can to try and figure out how it all jives...

Just trying to come up to speed on how this all works together...

Rodney
    The ROM is copied to RAM? So the idea is if you strip the ROM you will have more RAM available because there is less ROM to copy to the RAM? As well as faster speed due to less files to go through in RAM ?
    No - the rom is permanent memory - files in rom may use ram when running, but just being in rom means they are not stored in ram. More or less in rom doesn't change the amount of ram available, but it will allow you to store more programs.

So then what does putting programs into the ROM do for you? Just allow you to load the programs up upon a hard reset?
    They are already loaded after a hard-reset, and you can strip out things you don't want to run. All OS based programs cannot be removed otherwise.

Couldn't you do the same thing then by stripping the ROM and creating a CAB file that contains all the programs you want to run? Then just install THAT cab file?
    See answer 1

I am now guessing you could take a CAB file and put your registration information in there as well so all you need to do is install the CAB file and its already registered if you include the registry entries with the proper registration codes?
    Yep - I have several cabs I've created with reg info for many different things. Mostly stuff that orig. couldn't be put into a kitchen, now all of it since there wasn't a 700 kitchen.

And lastly Can we get a totally Stripped ROM to start from?
    I believe that's what the first one was
    Do not use either of my WM6 ROMs there is some registry error. I will fix it and get it to you guys (maybe).

And Ebag *cough* it did work did work thank you so much
    And Ebag *cough* it did work did work thank you so much
    Yup. Very nice. I have all of my apps reloaded and my phone completely rebuilt. Still quicker than the stock ROM. I am loving it and I will continue testing it for you.