Page 10 of 104 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Landon.Epps View Post
    YES!!!!

I have finally got the OS.nb file to run through imgfs tools
    I now have a full raw dump of all the WM6 ROM.
    Hello WM6 on my treo
    NICE! Now maybe you and Ebag can figure out how to backport SDHC and some other things from WM6 to WM5. Looking forward to it.

Also, I had a question for Ebag. I noticed you removed some of the ringtones and alarm tones. I know that removing all fo the ringtones on my T650 saved some room. I really only use Alarm1 and a custom MP3 ringtone on my phone. Is there any reason I couldn't remove the rest of the tones with the exception of Alarm and the RadioOn/RadioOff? Just curious.
    Ok so basically what I did was:
    CHEEIMG.nbh>>NBHExtract>>OS.nb then prepared the imgfs and dumped it to the file. I added the real verizon logos and re built it to the two .bin files. I merged them and wrote the contents to both OS.nb and the original sprint NapaBoth.nb0. One of them will work I just need to test them.

Is that how you did it ebag or did you do it another way.

I will post my results as soon as I test them.

Having the dump to file is so useful because now I can mess around with the modules and files to see what I can make now

Thanks for all of your help ebag, larryo, and a few others. I couldn't have done it without you.
  3.    #183  
    Is that how you did it ebag or did you do it another way.
    Sorry, I promised not to say.
    Why? Should I tell people or no?
    Not only should you tell, but you should also share your WM6 ROM with the rest of us who are too dumb to understand how y'all are doing this, and too smart to try it ourselves, and yet are drooling over the thought of WM6 on our 700wx.

And if you need a server to host it on, PM me and I'll let you host it on mine.
    Ebag:

Can I get some help on the registry portion. I am trying to use your Disassemble Registry batch file to get the VZW registry branches. I found the default registry branches in your kitchen and am trying to do the same for my VZW ROM. I put the default.hv and users.hv in the Cooking directory and I get an error message that they are missing or are not unicode. I also get an error message that it can not find the boot.rgu file.

For kicks and giggles I tried to disassemble the Sprint registry and got the same errors. Can you provide any insight on how to do this? Thanks in advance.
  7.    #187  
    I obtained my WM6 ROM via...alternate....methods. Quite different from yours.

Feel free to share your method of doing it, but be forewarned that sharing any files is likely to bring people down on your head. This is why I haven't shared my WM6 ROM yet.

Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    Ebag:

Can I get some help on the registry portion. I am trying to use your Disassemble Registry batch file to get the VZW registry branches. I found the default registry branches in your kitchen and am trying to do the same for my VZW ROM. I put the default.hv and users.hv in the Cooking directory and I get an error message that they are missing or are not unicode. I also get an error message that it can not find the boot.rgu file.

For kicks and giggles I tried to disassemble the Sprint registry and got the same errors. Can you provide any insight on how to do this? Thanks in advance.
    I couldn't get it to flash right when I modified the default and/or users .hv files.

The PROVXML files are applied after the default/users files, so theoretically putting any registry changes into the PROVXML file of your choice should apply the changes.

That being said I've noticed some stuff doesn't quite change as I'd expect it to. There's a RGU/REG to XML converter that I've included in my kitchen that I use. I suspect that the converter either doesn't handle some keys (especially complex hex ones) exactly as it should, or something gets lost in the REG -> XML -> REG conversion. (You know, kinda like an electronic game of telephone.)

Anyway, I'm not sure why you're getting errors. Make sure you're using the right batch file, and the default/user files are in the right locations (the batch files need to be in the root directory, NOT in the \Tools\ dir, and the default/user files need to be in the \Cooking\ folder). That tool can be very...picky....if the format isn't *EXACTLY* right it throws a fit. I can't even save the .hv files as Unicode from Textpad, I have to use Notepad (which made editing it a pain). It's a big reason why I switched to the PROVXML method, less chance of seriously breaking something.

As for getting the info from the registry, for me it's easier just to dump it directly from my phone after I flash it. It's not EXACTLY what's in the user/default files, but it's close enough for my purposes.

/me edits

I forgot to answer this earlier. Oops.

Also, I had a question for Ebag. I noticed you removed some of the ringtones and alarm tones. I know that removing all fo the ringtones on my T650 saved some room. I really only use Alarm1 and a custom MP3 ringtone on my phone. Is there any reason I couldn't remove the rest of the tones with the exception of Alarm and the RadioOn/RadioOff? Just curious.
    A lot of them are required by default as something uses them. You can parse the registry to see which are used, I simply removed the ones I knew weren't used, and were larger in size. There are probably a lot more that could be used, but I didn't want to go through the irritation of parsing the registry (and reflashing multiple times to test that I didn't break anything) just to remove 10-15 files and save maybe 50k. I instead focuses my efforts on bigger changes that'd net me more (such as compressing the Office files, holy crap that created a ton of space).

If you want to go through and see which ones are/aren't used, feel free. Just post your results here. I can easily strip the ones you found without having to completely rebuild my last ROM from scratch, so it's not a big deal for me to update it.
    Well if anyone needs it, I can upload the dump of the ROM. I don't want to give anyone the NapaBoth.nb0 yet before I completely test It but the dump to file has all of the files on WM6 so anyone experimenting with it, just ask.

Edit: Yes I figured. I noticed the secrecy when you said Thanks to whoever gave me the ROM you know who you are . And as for keeping it quiet... its a little too late. this isn't illegal is it? I mean I'm just copying a public ROM file onto a device it wasn't meant for.

Im uploading the dump now.

Edit 2: Done http://www.mediafire.com/?btg5u3lefoh

I tried to get the registry files from your post ebag but they failed to unzip, so I got other ones. How do I add those to the ROM? Thanks
    Last edited by Landon.Epps; 05/25/2008 at 03:06 PM.
    Way to go Landon! I will be curious to know how your testing goes and if you can include the Treo add-ins easily to the ROM.
  10.    #190  
    Edit: Yes I figured. I noticed the secrecy when you said Thanks to whoever gave me the ROM you know who you are . And as for keeping it quiet... its a little too late. this isn't illegal is it? I mean I'm just copying a public ROM file onto a device it wasn't meant for.
    Well what you do to your own device is one thing. If you start distributing, then you can get into trouble. But there are TONS of dumps out there, so I wouldn't worry too much.....

It was more of a word of warning than anything else.

I tried to get the registry files from your post ebag but they failed to unzip, so I got other ones. How do I add those to the ROM? Thanks
    Look a couple of posts up, I answered a similar question for larryo108.
    Like I said, I'm going to try it out tonight, I was a bit skeptical at first but after checking with WinMerge and a few Binary editors, I am quite sure this will work. If you want to test it out I have two versions:

This one I wrote to the NapaBoth.nb0
    http://www.mediafire.com/?fftld9mn4ll

And this one I wrote to OS.nb
    http://www.mediafire.com/?lm0h2gmmlyb

Try the first one first and if it dosen't work, try the second one. Just do the flash like normal.

Edit:
    And just to let you know ebag in your kitchen I downloaded, the .bat files are in the tools folder when they were supposed to be in the main folder. That's why I was having trouble with the .reg files.
    Last edited by Landon.Epps; 05/26/2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Posting Links
  12.    #192  
    And just to let you know ebag in your kitchen I downloaded, the .bat files are in the tools folder when they were supposed to be in the main folder. That's why I was having trouble with the .reg files.
    That's actually intentional, most people shouldn't be messing with decompiling the default/user hive files. As even decompiling and recompiling the hive files (zero changes) broke the ROM for the default Sprint ROM, I felt that those shouldn't be sitting there easy to use. For the (rare) times I've used it, it's quick and easy to move it up a level.
    @Landon:

You are on Verizon right? Please let us know when you have succcessfully flashed the WM6 ROM. I may try it at this point. Is it a stripped ROM or just a standard WM6 ROM?

I am very interested in trying this at this point. My current ROM is not working as expected. I guess the delete and replace the raw dump folder has served to slow my device down considerably. i guess I should have listened to Ebag, but I just tried the easy way out.
    @Landon:

You are on Verizon right? Please let us know when you have succcessfully flashed the WM6 ROM. I may try it at this point. Is it a stripped ROM or just a standard WM6 ROM?
    Yes, I am Verizon. The ROM I used is not only standard, but unbranded. It should work on any carrier, but I put up your RadioWelcome and Goodbye for Verizon just because I want it on there when I test it.

My current ROM is not working as expected. I guess the delete and replace the raw dump folder has served to slow my device down considerably. i guess I should have listened to Ebag, but I just tried the easy way out.
    Do you have a WM6 ROM currently? It sounds like you replaced the WM5 dump with the WM6 dump. Am I right? If that is true, mine should not work too exceptionally better. Maybe you and I can work together on stripping it down and working on Registry mods .

I am curious did u take the CHEEIMG.nbh or do it another way?

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That's actually intentional, most people shouldn't be messing with decompiling the default/user hive files. As even decompiling and recompiling the hive files (zero changes) broke the ROM for the default Sprint ROM, I felt that those shouldn't be sitting there easy to use. For the (rare) times I've used it, it's quick and easy to move it up a level.
    I see, thanks for the clarification. I can see how it would be confusing with all the steps and new batch files . I actually made my own Registry Decompiler/Editor because I thought yours was faulty.
    Has anyone tried to flash the wm6 rom? does the radio work?
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I couldn't get it to flash right when I modified the default and/or users .hv files.

The PROVXML files are applied after the default/users files, so theoretically putting any registry changes into the PROVXML file of your choice should apply the changes.

That being said I've noticed some stuff doesn't quite change as I'd expect it to. There's a RGU/REG to XML converter that I've included in my kitchen that I use. I suspect that the converter either doesn't handle some keys (especially complex hex ones) exactly as it should, or something gets lost in the REG -> XML -> REG conversion. (You know, kinda like an electronic game of telephone.)

Anyway, I'm not sure why you're getting errors. Make sure you're using the right batch file, and the default/user files are in the right locations (the batch files need to be in the root directory, NOT in the \Tools\ dir, and the default/user files need to be in the \Cooking\ folder). That tool can be very...picky....if the format isn't *EXACTLY* right it throws a fit. I can't even save the .hv files as Unicode from Textpad, I have to use Notepad (which made editing it a pain). It's a big reason why I switched to the PROVXML method, less chance of seriously breaking something.

As for getting the info from the registry, for me it's easier just to dump it directly from my phone after I flash it. It's not EXACTLY what's in the user/default files, but it's close enough for my purposes.

A lot of them are required by default as something uses them. You can parse the registry to see which are used, I simply removed the ones I knew weren't used, and were larger in size. There are probably a lot more that could be used, but I didn't want to go through the irritation of parsing the registry (and reflashing multiple times to test that I didn't break anything) just to remove 10-15 files and save maybe 50k. I instead focuses my efforts on bigger changes that'd net me more (such as compressing the Office files, holy crap that created a ton of space).

If you want to go through and see which ones are/aren't used, feel free. Just post your results here. I can easily strip the ones you found without having to completely rebuild my last ROM from scratch, so it's not a big deal for me to update it.
    Thanks for all of the info Ebag. I know now, why it was not working for me previously. I just want to get something to where I can compare the VZW to the Sprint registries.

Yes, I am Verizon. The ROM I used is not only standard, but unbranded. It should work on any carrier, but I put up your RadioWelcome and Goodbye for Verizon just because I want it on there when I test it.

Do you have a WM6 ROM currently? It sounds like you replaced the WM5 dump with the WM6 dump. Am I right? If that is true, mine should not work too exceptionally better. Maybe you and I can work together on stripping it down and working on Registry mods .
    Landon. I am not running a WM6 ROM currently. I have a WM5 ROM. What I did was delete the stuff from the Sprint raw dump and replace it with the Verizon WM5 raw dump. I wanted to start with a straight Verizon ROM and not have the Sprint bits, but it didn't work. It is SLOW.

I will try the WM6 unbranded ROM when I hear from you that it worked. Looking forward to it. How did you build your WM6 .nb0 ROM?
  17.    #197  
    Thanks for all of the info Ebag. I know now, why it was not working for me previously. I just want to get something to where I can compare the VZW to the Sprint registries.
    There is a Sprint registry dump in my kitchen. It's RAR'd not ZIP'd, so you will need WinRAR to extract.

Landon. I am not running a WM6 ROM currently. I have a WM5 ROM. What I did was delete the stuff from the Sprint raw dump and replace it with the Verizon WM5 raw dump. I wanted to start with a straight Verizon ROM and not have the Sprint bits, but it didn't work. It is SLOW.
    That doesn't suprise me. I've had problems with compiling from a dump.

I will try the WM6 unbranded ROM when I hear from you that it worked. Looking forward to it. How did you build your WM6 .nb0 ROM?

Larry and Landon:

If you two are interested in testing a WM6 rom shoot me an e-mail or bug me sometime on gTalk/AIM/etc. It's *NOT* been tested very much.
    Alright, this is the working ROM for WM6:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?lm0h2gmmlyb

Ignore my other post. I promised to keep you updated so right now my WM6 ROM is being flashed to my phone The moment I have been waiting for.
    It's a long story...

Basically I took the OS.nb out of the CHEEIMG.nbh and ran it through the ROM kitchen but instead of rebuilding it back into the OS.nb I rebuilt it back into the NapaBoth.nb0. I think it worked but its still booting as of now...
    I don't think its working too well, ebag did the one you did take a while to boot?