1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm newish around here. I've been a member for a while but very rarely post.

I've had my Treo 750 for a year and must admit to still disliking it greatly.

I love the hardware, but I absolutely loathe WM5 (and WM6 is no better).

I want to just get a 680. I miss all my palm apps etc.

How long did it take everyone to adjust to WM? If it's been 12 months should I look to trade with someone (or buy a new 680) or give it more time?
    Do people trade 680's for 750's? I assume the phone is unlocked. I got it through the Telstra network in Australia on a 24 month plan.

Sas
    That's sad. What irks you particularly?

Surur
    my only complaints are lack of program memory and the processoe is underpowered (besides things like wifi/gps/320x320 which I knew weren't part of the deal)...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Just curious, what are you trying to run that's consuming all of your processor AND memory?

Often, low memory can appear as a lagged processor simply due to the processor not having sufficient program memory to work with.

A good example is the Intenet Explorter cache. After browsing some substantial websites, you'll be out of memory due to a full cache and the processor will choke trying to get things done with a sliver of what it really needs. The simple fix, of course, is to delete the IE cache when you're done browsing.

Give us an idea of what you're trying to do and perhaps we can suggest some ways to optimize the experience.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    streaming internet radio with A2DP and web browsing (or doing most anything else) is really slow...that's probably the biggest.. also playing youtube vids through TCPMP is pretty slow too.. have made some of the reg changes which have helped (glyph cache and one other to set the program memory low limit to 3mb I think)..
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  6.    #6  
    I think the main thing that irks me is...WM in general.

My first PDA was a palm and I initially got a Treo 600 but upgraded when Telstra finally decided to get a Treo. I thought I'd transition to WM from Palm...convinced myself it was still a Palm product so I'd be fine. But I really miss the palm OS and all the apps that were available.

I'm soooo tired of trying to find good applications for WM5/6 that fit on the screen or are even compatible with this phone.

My old palm held programs for keeping track of my classes including grades, my work schedule etc with Agendus for palm was so much better! I can't stand Agendus for WM. It's not quite the same as the Palm one.

I tried SPB but yeah...and I miss a couple of the games I used to play (Village Sim). Maybe it's just that I don't think that WM is as versatile or as stable as Palm OS.

I actually love my Treo...I just hate WM5/6 and am considering sacrficing the benefits of a 3g/Next G phone for a plain GSM just so that it's more functional for me.

I was just hoping that I'd missed something somewhere. Like a site full of great applications that actually run well and function as well as Agendus on Palm OS etc, and some good games that actually look good on a 750 and are interesting. Or that maybe there was some hidden perk of WM5/6 that I didn't know about.
    And I wanted to know if everyone who struggled with WM eventually got used to it, or if after a year I should really consider getting a 680 because I've given the 750 a good shot.
    I suspect after 12 months and having given it a good try, it may never be the phone for you. Better luck next time?

Surur
    I haven't had a Palm since the old Palm Vx. At this point I have also had my 750 for about a year.

Before the 750 I had an Audiovox PPC 4100 running WM 2002. It was a big adjustment to go from something that was basically a giant 320x240 touch screen to the tiny 240x240 on the 750.

I'd say it took about a month before I was adjusted, but still wasn't happy. Then I started getting involved in forums like this one, then WM6 came out and my area finally upgraded to 3G.

I can honestly say at this point that it's my favorite phone so far.

Would I like a bigger screen? SURE! More processor and memory? Absolutely!

Would I trade it in for something I can get my hands on in the store right now? I'd have to say a big NO to that one.

I'm sorry to hear your experience has not been what you hoped for. Windows Mobile can definitely do a lot, but it's definitely not all there is.

Perhaps you would be happier with a 680 or even a Centro? I believe you can order the Centro with either OS on it, and you can probably find a decent deal on a 680 on ebay.

Either way, good luck. If you stick with it, feel free to drop in here anytime and ask for help or advice.
    Last edited by fastlerner; 05/05/2008 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by javajunkie80 View Post
    Like a site full of great applications that actually run well and function as well as Agendus on Palm OS etc, and some good games that actually look good on a 750 and are interesting.
    Have you tried Handango? You can select the 750 and then it will show you programs that are compatible with the 750. Beyond that, if you've tried it - then I'd say you should probably go back to Palm. I was waiting for the Centro to come out on GSM, but my 650 had gotten so unstable I had to make the move (didn't want the 680). If it was me, I would get a Centro.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    The thing is that I heard the Treo 680 is a bit laggy even when compared to the 650. I was seriously considering the 680 back then before I got my 750 3 months ago.
    Proud Owner of a Palm Treo 650 Black Tie (:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    javajunkie80, couldn't agree with you more.
    I've had mine for over a year now also.
    Seriously considering the iPhone if it goes 3G and can do AvtiveSync!
    Please keep me/us updated on what you go with next
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I was considering a 750, and was almost convinced, this was a total bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by lefc View Post
    I was considering a 750, and was almost convinced, this was a total bummer.
    Don't get discouraged. We're talking 1 user out of the whole forum.

And we're always here to help. If you can't make it do what you want, just post as there is usually a way to get there and someone has already figured it out.