1.    #1  
    I have two questions about the treo 700wx. The first is this: Is there some way to update it to wm6 or 6.1? And the second question is: Can I use it as a modem without having power vision or a data plan? And if so, could I get on the web with it without having a pc?
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Greetings-If you have a 700WX, you're pretty well stuck w/ WM5. As for using your device as a modem, yes you can do that. It's called tethering and you should be able to find instructions on how to do that in your manual. I would guess and say if you searched for that subject on this, or any other PPC site, you'd find some threads addressing tethering. Now, if you want to access the web with your device, you will need a data plan of some flavor
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -Ernest Hemingway

1) Not yet. But there is some progress in that direction.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=164405

However, having used devices with similar hardware stats to the 700wx with WM6, I would never upgrade my 700wx to WM6. The Mogul has similar stats with a slightly faster processor (400mhz instead of 312mhz) and runs like a dog.

128 mb of memory is pretty much required (at least to me) to run WM6. Now that's not to say we couldn't port some stuff back to WM5....

2) Sure. Just be prepared to pay $0.80 a minute, or whatever they're charging these days.

I have an extremely old vision plan I refuse to upgrade from. $15 a month, and completely unlimited. I often surf the web on it, though it won't replace a PC for me (did replace my laptop though once I paired it with a Redfly ).
  4.    #4  
    So in order to use my phone as a modem or get on the internet on the phone itself, I would have to have the power vision, there's no hack to do it without the plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by mth281 View Post
    So in order to use my phone as a modem or get on the internet on the phone itself, I would have to have the power vision, there's no hack to do it without the plan?
    You can get on the 'net with just the phone, no need for a plan. Just be prepared to pay "casual EVDO rates" (as I think Sprint is calling it these days).....in other words, big $$$.

If you're asking how to "hack" the phone so you can surf the web for free, you'd need access to Sprint's systems, impossible to do on the phone itself.

If you got Sprint, pay for the vision pack and enjoy. Sprint has the cheapest data packs, and it's truely unlimited (as far as I can see, never hit any limits) unlike say Verizon who will shut you off after a set limit (even on the "unlimited" data plans, which they charge an arm and a leg for).
  6.    #6  
    Ok, thanks for the input, i'll consider the data pack for the phone.