View Poll Results: Will the 800w be enough for you?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Can't beat the Treo form factor.

40 50.63%
  • The Diamond and Raphael are tempting tasty treats, I'm waiting!

29 36.71%
  • I can't wait for any of them... I'm off to the store now!

4 5.06%
  • I belong to "iA": iPhoneaholics Anonymous

3 3.80%
  • I use GSM and don't play in your little CDMA games.

3 3.80%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm in a polling mood.

Are you in the same boat as me? Were you looking at the Mogul and the Touch, and thinking that the 800w would finally bring together features like more memory and WiFi that weren't available together? Were you also thinking, 'gosh, I wish there were something beyond 320x240 / 320x320 for me!'? And is the iPhone just not quite the right fit for you? Hey, me too!

So, I've decided to wait longer.

I've decided that I'm going to pass on the 800w and wait for the HTC Raphael or Diamond instead. They're just too tempting and too near to blow my two-year discount now, and if my 650 definitively breaks (it's kinda on probation right now), I'll deal with the insurance replacement in the meantime.

So, what do you really think?
    Who's flying this thing?
    I'm thinking it does not matter... you can wait or not wait... get one or the other.

I might get the mogul or touch if I ever get around to checking them out at my sprint store....

My 700wx is working well so I have no reason to jump to another device... normally my phones would be dead right now but the 700 is holding out fairly well... no complaints so far. It does not look as pretty as those other phones, but it functions on par with them for what I do.

If you play the wait game, there will always be something to wait for....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Here's the thing. I would sacrifice animals (KIDDING) for vga. Though I can't really imagine how it'd work on a device that's designed for a "pocket". And I'm talking about blue jeans, not geek pants with oversized padded pockets with built-in solar chargers and bluetooth music controls. nor the ones with that creepy keyboard built-in. Either my eyesight is going to have to get a lot better, or 640x480 is going be seriously challenging. But I spend a *lot* of time on the PDA - travelling exclusively with it instead of a laptop for about 2 years now. So a big screen would be huge, no pun intended.

Even if Sprint launches the 800w in 2008, Verizon probably won't get it until 2009 at the earliest. Any new HTC devices, which I think aren't even formally announced yet, would probably take another year to materialize on the big V. So my guess is I'd be picking up an 800w next year and a Raphael the following year.
    What is the 800 offering ( besides a bump in memory) that we can't get now? I have both a Mogul and Moto Q9C. I have GPS, Revision A, 2MP camera, 6.1 (will have it before the 800 hits). I cannot buy it if it has nothing to offer. Form factor will not cut it.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    So I was all set to get the 800w this year then all of a sudden this news about the Rapheal on Sprint comes out of no where. Now I'm not sure what to do since I wasn't expecting any new Htc phones this year (not on cdma atleast).

Sooo at this point I know the 800w is closer to releasing than either the Diamond & Rapheal are so there's a high possibility I will end up getting the 800w and then when the Htc phones are out I'll probably check them out too. Although, the specs (mainly Vga) on the Raphael are quite impressive so it will be hard to pass that up once it's out.

One thing I've learned is to just buy whatever's out, at least that way there's no waiting game to play.
    Last edited by untouchablez; 04/25/2008 at 05:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    What is the 800 offering ( besides a bump in memory) that we can't get now? I have both a Mogul and Moto Q9C. I have GPS, Revision A, 2MP camera, 6.1 (will have it before the 800 hits). I cannot buy it if it has nothing to offer. Form factor will not cut it.
    Likewise, the Raphael and Diamond just have 3mp camera (not necessarily better) and VGA.

For myself, had I wanted the Touch or Mogul form factor...I would have bought one already.

So while I'm psyched for others to get these updated devices, I won't be one of them. I honestly don't know what a WM device has to do now to really, really seperate itself from the heard besides some external polish and maybe the mega-pixel war for cameras?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I honestly don't know what a WM device has to do now to really, really seperate itself from the heard besides some external polish and maybe the mega-pixel war for cameras?
    The Omni. There's nothing like it in the WM world (if there was I would have bought it!)

(Ignore Imate junk, I do)

Surur
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    I bit the bullet and got a 6800 when my wifes 700w died and she couldn't find anything she liked. Gave her my 700wx and got the 6800. Other than the camera and the BT improvements I can't stand it. I will be at the VZ store the day the 800 is available.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    I bit the bullet and got a 6800 when my wifes 700w died and she couldn't find anything she liked. Gave her my 700wx and got the 6800. Other than the camera and the BT improvements I can't stand it. I will be at the VZ store the day the 800 is available.
    I too jumped ship to the Mogul... for a while. The only value I found in the experience was that it validated my suspicions. That form factor is just not for me. Now I'm back in the line waiting for the 800w... and waiting... and waiting... zzz zzz zzzz zzzz
    .... still waiting.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    After switching from a 700wx to a Mogul, I can say I'm definitely ready for the Raphael. I'd be completely satisfied with my Mogul if it wasn't for the lack of RAM (128MB should be standard for WM6) and the lack of a ringer switch/volume buttons. Other than that, I'm done waiting for Palm. Yes I do miss the exposed keyboard, but I enjoy all the other functionality Palm has yet to deliver...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Likewise, the Raphael and Diamond just have 3mp camera (not necessarily better) and VGA.

For myself, had I wanted the Touch or Mogul form factor...I would have bought one already.

So while I'm psyched for others to get these updated devices, I won't be one of them. I honestly don't know what a WM device has to do now to really, really seperate itself from the heard besides some external polish and maybe the mega-pixel war for cameras?
    will rapheal be touch based like the diamond?
    I'm picking up an 800w as long as it releases before the HTC updates. I'm currently using a Mogul and had the 6700 before that... I'm tired of the sliders and want buttons on the front. Now that Palm has finally somewhat caught up with features I'm excited for my first Treo!
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    will rapheal be touch based like the diamond?
    No idea but if history is a clue, probably not. But that's a minor point since it can always be added later.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The Omni. There's nothing like it in the WM world (if there was I would have bought it!)

(Ignore Imate junk, I do)

Surur
    True that. I forgot about the Omni...any word on that one? Do you think that is what HTC's upcoming announcement will be about? hmmm...

Omni rumours are very very few and far between. Its not going to be here any time soon (if ever)

On the bright side, some-one just confirmed both the Raphael and Diamond will have accelerometers, which are used to rotate the screen, so thats pretty cool for a WM phone. Also the FM radio in the Diamond will have RDS, which means free traffic congestion updates for the GPS software.

I'm starting to think a Raphael may be a better buy for me than a SEX1, due to the more comprehensive keyboard and other goodies.

Surur
    Omni rumours are very very few and far between. Its not going to be here any time soon (if ever)

On the bright side, some-one just confirmed both the Raphael and Diamond will have accelerometers, which are used to rotate the screen, so thats pretty cool for a WM phone. Also the FM radio in the Diamond will have RDS, which means free traffic congestion updates for the GPS software.

I'm starting to think a Raphael may be a better buy for me than a SEX1, due to the more comprehensive keyboard and other goodies.

Surur
    Yeah, I got those updated specs on those devices and it's pretty amazing, that's for sure. Will throw up a blog post for Mon morning.
    best contraction ever...lol

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    getting a Raphael

Lots of software i want are not for square screens

so moving to htc
  17.    #17  
    @ Mal re: "Likewise, the Raphael and Diamond just have 3mp camera (not necessarily better) and VGA" (sorry, a proper quote isn't possible when using Blazer)
    Well, for those of us who lay on the CDMA mattress, the Diamond family are the best pillows around. Specifically, they bring 128MB and WiFi together in one device, in addition to their other enhancements. The 800w does, too, but I think that the VGA screen pushed me over the edge.
    Well, that and I haven't been impressed with Palm's current reputation for updates or the quality of recent devices. I know they're trying to improve their business, but the fruits of their labor aren't here yet, in my opinion. Oh, it also appears more likely that HTC's devices will be 'supported' by the kind and smart folks that congregate around XDA-Developers.
    Who's flying this thing?
  18.    #18  
    I suppose I'll still consider the 800w, as I've been using the Treo form factor for a while now, but I'm still going to wait until HTC's updates come out so I can pick and choose. Besides, a patch will probably be needed on the 800w (maybe the others, too), so why not wait until they're abailable.
    Who's flying this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    @ Mal re: "Likewise, the Raphael and Diamond just have 3mp camera (not necessarily better) and VGA" (sorry, a proper quote isn't possible when using Blazer)
    Well, for those of us who lay on the CDMA mattress, the Diamond family are the best pillows around. Specifically, they bring 128MB and WiFi together in one device, in addition to their other enhancements. The 800w does, too, but I think that the VGA screen pushed me over the edge.
    Well, that and I haven't been impressed with Palm's current reputation for updates or the quality of recent devices. I know they're trying to improve their business, but the fruits of their labor aren't here yet, in my opinion. Oh, it also appears more likely that HTC's devices will be 'supported' by the kind and smart folks that congregate around XDA-Developers.
    Now that we have the updated specs on those HTC devices I can certainly see the allure they present as that is some cutting edge stuff in there, so I retract my "just vga and 3mp camera" comment above.

I'm still not a fan of the slider but will certainly take a hard look at it when it arrives to see if it's "all that" lol but I sure hope that 900mah battery can carry that burden of awesomeness ;-)

As far as support from Palm--hard to say at this point. Surprisingly, the Centro is quite bug-free (or at least there is nothing universally agreed upon as needing major fixing) and the only reason for an update (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $is$ $for$ $Google$ $Maps$ &$quot$;$My$ $Location$&$quot$; $to$ $be$ $enabled$ ($API$ $is$ $needed$). $It$'$s$ $been$ $my$ $impression$ $that$ $all$ $OEMs$ $and$ $carriers$ $have$ $been$ $more$ $willing$ $to$ $grant$ $and$ $do$ $updates$ $for$ $devices$ ($like$ $the$ $universal$ $6$.$1$ $updates$ $on$ $Sprint$) $so$ $hopefully$ $that$ $will$ $carry$ $over$ $to$ $Palm$ $if$ $they$ $need$ $them$ ($plus$ $the$ $whole$ $beta$ $test$ $project$ $should$ $catch$ most "issues" you would think).

900mah battery? Haha...they better include 2 of them and a charger that will take the extra battery. I don't know how thick the Raphael is, but I'd rather they make it a little thicker and toss a 1500mah or bigger in there. Carrying/charging extra batteries=wack. My Mogul and Treo barely make it through a day, how the hell are these new HTC devices going to last with 900mah batteries? Other than that, everything looks awesome...I definitely want the Raphael.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast