View Poll Results: Will the 800w be enough for you?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Can't beat the Treo form factor.

40 50.63%
  • The Diamond and Raphael are tempting tasty treats, I'm waiting!

29 36.71%
  • I can't wait for any of them... I'm off to the store now!

4 5.06%
  • I belong to "iA": iPhoneaholics Anonymous

3 3.80%
  • I use GSM and don't play in your little CDMA games.

3 3.80%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Maybe a little too good, lol.

McQueen basically says that BGR may be some front for RIM. Regardless, interesting read (he's allowed to speculate as well, only I'm not, lol).
    "Reports" like that are worthless. Nothing but speculation and poor (gasp!) journalism.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by malatesta View Post
    There won't be any mention of CDMA devices this week by HTC.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    Wrong again buddy.
    OK... What do you know about a mention of CDMA devices this week by HTC? Please do share.
    Who's flying this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Your book is wrong.

Secondly, if you can't make the connection between "Two months at best" comment and their loathing for Sprint, than I don't need to have an entire conversation with you regarding this because I am not sure you will even understand it.

If you want to beat Diamond Rumors to a pulp, go ahead. I mean, the device is announced and you know the specs. Two months is a long time to talk about whether it is here or not.

I SAID, GOOD DAY SIR!
    1. dude, I didn't read it in a book. And stop reading wikipedia to get your bad info.

2. engadet mobile reported that both the diamond and the raphael are on the way to Sprint. with the raphael coming first followed by the diamond. engadget mobile is a pretty reliable source.
    (that's to mal and you).
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Malatesta said there would be no mention of CDMA devices from HTC, not Engadget Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Malatesta said there would be no mention of CDMA devices from HTC, not Engadget Mobile.
    Where do you think engadet got it? Motorola?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Dude, you will just not give up. You're wrong. HTC made no announcement about CDMA devices. Engadget is not affiliated with HTC. Also, this is what Engadget says:

The Raphael is currently lined up to be the first out of the gate, hitting the streets in September if everything goes well, with the Diamond following on in November. Surprised that these devices are CDMA-based and Sprint bound? Us too, we admit -- but we'd be shocked if there weren't GSM twins of both of these hotties getting cooked in the lab at the same time.

That's not 60 days, not sure where you read that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Dude, you will just not give up. You're wrong. HTC made no announcement about CDMA devices. Engadget is not affiliated with HTC. Also, this is what Engadget says:

The Raphael is currently lined up to be the first out of the gate, hitting the streets in September if everything goes well, with the Diamond following on in November. Surprised that these devices are CDMA-based and Sprint bound? Us too, we admit -- but we'd be shocked if there weren't GSM twins of both of these hotties getting cooked in the lab at the same time.

That's not 60 days, not sure where you read that.
    Like I said the 60 days was a rumor. BGR put that up. Most people saw that.
    At their press conference HTC was just announcing the Euro phone. Europe of course does not have any CDMA networks since its GSM for all carriers and bands by law.
    For a Euro phone a statement there will be no CDMA euro phone version is now how I interpreted his one liner. Like it literally is a EU wide regulation- no CDMA air interface.

But there are plenty of sources that say that its coming to Sprint first and soon...and some rumors are saying that it will be perhaps in 60 days "at best" (BGR).

my own personal view is it will hit sprint first, and prolly before September but not much.
    p.s. let me just add.. I hope that everything malatesta writes is 100% accurate and/or comes to pass.
    The "source" for everyone about CDMA devices comes from one source: Engadget Mobile from 4/23 i.e. from over 2 weeks ago, as someone snuck them internal Sprint data sheets.

HTC has not commented publically on those 2 devices and they won't since they are under NDA with Sprint--not a shocker.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    1. dude, I didn't read it in a book. And stop reading wikipedia to get your bad info.

2. engadet mobile reported that both the diamond and the raphael are on the way to Sprint. with the raphael coming first followed by the diamond. engadget mobile is a pretty reliable source.
    (that's to mal and you).
    Figure of speech, I feel dumber after reading your posts. Reread your post I quoted.

I know quite a bit about WCDMA, and the information on WIKI is valid. Yet, than again, you already admited you glossed over and confused WCDMA with CDMA earlier, so at least I knew you were infalliable.
  11.    #91  
    Where do you think engadet got it? Motorola?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The "source" for everyone about CDMA devices comes from one source: Engadget Mobile from 4/23 i.e. from over 2 weeks ago, as someone snuck them internal Sprint data sheets.

HTC has not commented publically on those 2 devices and they won't since they are under NDA with Sprint--not a shocker.
    OK then, if we can agree that HTC wasn't going to mention any CDMA devices this week... that any CDMA device info has been coming from Engadget, reportedly as a leak from Sprint... then perhaps we might all be able to see how "Wrong again buddy" might be considered a careless and inflammatory response?
    Who's flying this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    OK then, if we can agree that HTC wasn't going to mention any CDMA devices this week... that any CDMA device info has been coming from Engadget, reportedly as a leak from Sprint... then perhaps we might all be able to see how "Wrong again buddy" might be considered a careless and inflammatory response?
    Why would he admit anything? You obviously can tell he won't realize anything with his personality. It's who he is.
  13.    #93  
    Why would he admit anything? You obviously can tell he won't realize anything with his personality. It's who he is.
    I'd rather not take anyone's personality as obvious. I'll admit that I've been bothered a bit by some of his responses, but I decided to respond as objectively as I could by seeking the truth. Actually, I've seen a couple of posts from gadgetfreaky in support of Malatesta's posts in the past month, and given the series of posts I had seen before that, I was quite surprised.

Regardless, beyond the issue of personality, there have been a few noticeable claims issued by gadgetfreaky of untruths by Malatesta, and such a claim is perfectly fine to make if it can be backed up. If it can't, well, a polite retraction or a statement of doubt would be something courteous to post.

So, in this particular example, if gadgetfreaky in fact knew something about HTC mentioning CDMA devices this week, I'd really like to know about that. If either gadgetfreaky or Malatesta was mistaken, that's OK... it happens to all of us.

I guess the reason why I like these forums is the spirit of help, constructive criticism, and good humor (or perhaps I mean good-natured?) that permeates them. With that in mind, what bothered me about "Wrong again buddy" is that the tone didn't seem to follow that spirit... perhaps "I think you're wrong, and here's why..." would've followed that spirit more closely? It brings up the same point, but it advances the discussion by bringing a new perspective to the table.
    Who's flying this thing?
  14.    #94  
    I'm disappointed that the Touch Diamond has only internal storage. Sure, it's 4GB, and that's 8x more than my Treo 650 has, but that's 1/5th of what my MP3 player can hold, and I'd really like to be able to use my next cell phone as a replacement for my MP3 player. I really didn't expect they'd remove the microSD slot... that was quite a surprise.

Therefore, I'm no longer considering the Touch Diamond as a target device for me, though I may reconsider that in the face of what actually ends up shipping for the Raphael and how the 800w comes out.

Hopefully, the Raphael doesn't have the same change.

Well, off to remove 'Diamond' from my signature.
    Last edited by snowbound; 05/08/2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Changed "subject line" to "signature"
    Who's flying this thing?
    That is pretty disappointing, especially since a lot of people will have a 4gb-8gb microsd just laying around from their previous phone.
    Figure of speech, I feel dumber after reading your posts. Reread your post I quoted.

I know quite a bit about WCDMA, and the information on WIKI is valid. Yet, than again, you already admited you glossed over and confused WCDMA with CDMA earlier, so at least I knew you were infalliable.
    Wow you guys are embarassing yourselves. WCDMA is NOT JAPANESE. It was developed a 3g GSM standard and the patents are nokia and Ericy. not japanese in origin.
    I don't care what you read in Wiki. if you read that its wrong.

here you go for god's sakes. It's a European standard.

http://www.mobiledia.com/glossary/271.html

Wideband CDMA (WCDMA) - A 3G mobile services platform, based on modern, layered network-protocol structure, similar to the protocol structure used in GSM networks. WCDMA has been designed for high-speed data services and more particularly, internet-based packet-data offering up to 2Mbps in stationary or office environments, and up to 384Kbps in wide area or mobile environments. The third generation radio standard that will offer voice, data, motion-video and other multimedia capabilities, and increases data transmission rates in GSM systems by using CDMA instead of TDMA. WCDMA has become the Direct Sequence (DS) mode in the ITU's 3G specification, which includes the 1X Multi-Carrier mode (1X MC) and 3X Multi-Carrier mode (3X MC). 1X MC (formerly known as cdma2000) and 3X MC comprise the 3G upgrade path for carriers already using CDMA (cdmaOne).

p.s. it's not a cooincidence I guessed you got that from wiki. stop reading and reposting that as some kind of valid info or to start a board war. The stuff is 90% wrong on air interfaces? Why? cuz the guys with money in air interfaces don't always post accurate info.
    Last edited by gadgetfreaky; 05/08/2008 at 04:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    I already said I probably made an error glossing over what he wrote. I sort of read it as no CDMA coming to the USA from HTC and I had read 5 minutes after that the rumors on Engadget saying Sprint would have the first versions of the device. So yeah that was a bit "tough" on the guy.

That said, a lot of his earlier posts a while ago on HTC, and some GPS stuff as well as a lot of pro Palm and palm management stuff--was utter and totally bad information and some of which downright misleading.

Also. The palm apologist stuff I can't stand... they have not had a device in 3 years. Nobody should be making excuses for that company.

That said, i will say some of the stuff Malatesta has been writing has gotten a lot better in the last 3 months and a valuable source of info. The spec info etc on the 800 and the HTC --thats all good info and frankly very useful.

As long as 2nd hand rumors are real sources, and/or market as opinions I got no issue.
    What's with the "you guys"? I never cited Wiki or claimed Japanese-developed, so please stop the mis-attribution.

Regardless, it has nothing to do with CDMA-2000, generally & practically speaking, which was the issue at hand re: HTC and announcements.

WCDMA was developed, ironically, to get away fro the stranglehold of Qualcomm (and yes, it's used extensively in Euro and Japan).

I say ironically because Qualcomm has claimed (successfully & controversially) that they own numerous patents for WCDMA and Nokia in fact *pays Qualcomm* between 3-5% for those patents (the same amount they collect for CDMA). But Nokia has to also pay into that collective Euro fund as well--so they get basically double charged. (Of course Nokia is contesting some of this in court).

Anyways, the WCDMA chips used for the Diamond are Qualcomm msm-7201a based, so all of that above is a moot point.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Heh, again, all I said was that WCDMA was a Japanese used protocol. In which it was... I never said it WASN'T used in Europe (which it is, as well as I believe South America and parts of America for 3G stuff), but I knew it still wasn't CDMA... I know WCDMA is a form of GSM sir. Quote me where I don't know that... if you can't do that then you have no point and your screaming to scream.

Where was I wrong? You think I don't know what it is... but I obviously KNEW enough to realize that HTC didn't announce a CDMA (or even mention one) during their press conference.

Snowbound, you are right, I am not adding to the spirit of this forum. I apologize to all. I also agree that the removal of the external storage slot is a FATAL flaw. People love having seperate cards for music, movies and files... myself included. I hope they reconsider for the CDMA version of the Diamond (I can't see why the Rafael wouldn't have one, considering most of the rumors say it won't have the 4GB internal memory).
    Diamond just hit the FCC with documents today.

Interesting.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast