View Poll Results: Will the 800w be enough for you?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Can't beat the Treo form factor.

40 50.63%
  • The Diamond and Raphael are tempting tasty treats, I'm waiting!

29 36.71%
  • I can't wait for any of them... I'm off to the store now!

4 5.06%
  • I belong to "iA": iPhoneaholics Anonymous

3 3.80%
  • I use GSM and don't play in your little CDMA games.

3 3.80%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Snowbound, if you're considering an HTC device, you should definitely try a Palm WinMob device. Though you will find some feature advantages (bluetooth) with the HTC's, the quickest, most intuitive way of working in WinMob is the Palm way. You really can't judge what current Palm devices can do based on your 650. If you want multi-tasking with simultaneous voice and data try a 750 with wm5 or 6.0. Some of the palm special sauce shows it's value when you try something else. For example why does wm make me use function keys to type digits when I'm in a numeric field. Why did it take palm to automatically enable the numeric key functions in the places where I would only type numbers??? My 700wx has been ridiculously stable while continually multi-tasking (including gps navigation.)
    Try a Palm WinMob device and you'll see why so many are awaiting the 800w instead of something else. If they weren't so slow in getting it to market there wouldn't be so many defectors.
    Nevertheless, different strokes for different folks. If HTC works better for you, go for it.
    Treo pusher.

I'm stuck with CDMA (works best for me here in new england), so the only current WM Palm I could consider is the 700wx. Since I've decided that I require WiFi from whatever phone I upgrade to, Palm's got nothing for me before the 800w ships. In fact, my only current option is the Mogul ('cause Verizon's too expensive, and, well, I've never really considered Alltel). I did play around with a functional XV6800 for over an hour at Circuit City, and I was pretty impressed.
    I should admit that my purchase of an HTC (or any other non-Treo800w device) is not a foregone conclusion, but I have decided that I'll wait for the Diamond and/or Raphael to ship before I make my evaluation. At that time, I'll check out all three of them, and then I'll make a purchase. By then, I figure that we'll know a lot more about how good a job Palm did with the Treo 800w (will it be as solid as the Centro has reportedly been?), and I'll be able to weigh the features of each of those devices directly against each other.
    Who's flying this thing?
  2.    #42  
    I should add that if it ends up that the 800w ships after HTC's new models, I might actually end up waiting for the 800w. I guess I had thought that the 800w would certainly ship first, but I probably shouldn't assume that.
    Who's flying this thing?
    I remember the day, time and what the aroma was around me the day my brand spanking new Treo 700wx showed up from the man in brown. It was a solid device for a Windows OS. The year was 2006. So fast forward to 2008 and here I am still waiting for that same feeling from a Palm device again.

I own a Treo, Mogul and Moto Q9C. Out of all 3 the top perform is the Moto. This coming from a person who had Nextel for 4 years. Not a Moto fan. This device quickly reversed that. Simplicity at its finest. Second place is the Mogul. Maybe its just my device but I have zero issues with mine. Memory can be better but simple maintenance takes care of it. Takes about 2-3 minutes a day. Something I can live with. I also have an extended 2400 mah battery for it (26 bucks on ebay). Third place is the Treo. Its a friggin brick. Camera is god awful, stubby antenna is annoying, square screen and some other stuff. Just so you don't think I am here to trash. The Treo like mentioned is a work horse. My beef is the gap. How the hell do you drop the ball this bad? I bought around 4-5 devices since the Treo. Its a shame Palm cannot keep up with the competition. In a market which they've owned years ago, now they barely exist in it.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    You know, if my 650 were always ready to do whatever I ask it at a moment's notice, then I'd be right there with you. Heck, I might be dreaming less of a new phone, as I'd rather just be saving money for a house (gosh, that takes everything, doesn't it?). However, my phone's not as reliable as I'd like for it to be, I've spent too much time trying to make it more reliable, and anything I try to do to make it more reliable seems to mean I have to give up functionality, and the 650 used to its fullest doesn't even deliver all the features I now want. Yes, I am talking about a Palm OS device and can recognize that there's a potential apples-to-oranges there, but I've lost confidence in Palm's products through my ownership of the 650, and through the reviews I've seen of later Palm products. I realize there's a chance that I won't find any more reliability elsewhere, but I figured it comes down to a definition of insanity I've once heard... If you keep doing the same thing and constantly expect something different, that may not be sane. So, it's time for me to try something new... and since the HTC products have even more features that I desire, I'm planning on trying one of them.
    I can't fault you for hating the 650. It does suck.

I would disagree with 1PT about trying to push you into a Palm WinMo device. If you've never used a WinMo device in your day to day life for a significant period of time, I can't convince you to buy a Palm over a HTC device. In fact, i fully advocate you buying the HTC device. You simply can't appreciate the Treo 700wx unless you've used the HTC devices really heavily.

My only advice is o make up your mind. If you wait for the new HTC phones after the 800w comes out, you'll start hearing rumors of a new device coming out, like maybe a new Samsung or something, and you'll say you'll wait for that to see how it compares. By the time that gets out, new HTC devices will be on the roadmap. It's just a bad situation to get yourself in to, like it is for all technology related products .
    Reliability isn't exactly the reason to switch to WM (HTC) anyways.

I liked my HTC Titan better than my 700wx, but I liked my 755p better than my HTC Titan (and it was definitely more reliable). So all you can really do is pick a device that sounds the best for the time and try that one. Of course if you use Sprint and buy directly from Sprint you have the 30 day trial period also.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Can you say Sexy?
    Quote Originally Posted by airibis View Post
    Can you say Sexy?
    I'll say "nice" and "sleek".

But my pet-peeve is using "sexy" for describing technology as that, for myself, crosses that creepy line, lol.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    engadget said HTC will announce Raphael and Diamond next Tuesday. Sounds like they might be out before 800W does? Also, Samsung Instinct is coming out in June, Sprint already has a banner for the phone.

So many choices for this summer... :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by batmon View Post
    engadget said HTC will announce Raphael and Diamond next Tuesday. Sounds like they might be out before 800W does? Also, Samsung Instinct is coming out in June, Sprint already has a banner for the phone.

So many choices for this summer... :-)
    Those will be the GSM versions. I doubt the CDMA versions will come before August.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by batmon View Post
    engadget said HTC will announce Raphael and Diamond next Tuesday. Sounds like they might be out before 800W does?
    Surur's right. The actual Sprint data sheets show a Q3 and Q4 launch for those devices and the 800w will definitely be out sooner than that

There won't be any mention of CDMA devices this week by HTC.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Surur's right. The actual Sprint data sheets show a Q3 and Q4 launch for those devices and the 800w will definitely be out sooner than that

So it looks like the schedule of next gen devices is:

Iphone -May or June
    HTC- Q3 so July-September--maybe a lot later for Sprint. We'll know more about dates when they announce it Tuesday.
    Treo 800. August ---earlier if we are super lucky.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by bearxor View Post
    I can't fault you for hating the 650. It does suck.

I would disagree with 1PT about trying to push you into a Palm WinMo device. If you've never used a WinMo device in your day to day life for a significant period of time, I can't convince you to buy a Palm over a HTC device. In fact, i fully advocate you buying the HTC device. You simply can't appreciate the Treo 700wx unless you've used the HTC devices really heavily.

My only advice is o make up your mind. If you wait for the new HTC phones after the 800w comes out, you'll start hearing rumors of a new device coming out, like maybe a new Samsung or something, and you'll say you'll wait for that to see how it compares. By the time that gets out, new HTC devices will be on the roadmap. It's just a bad situation to get yourself in to, like it is for all technology related products .
    Oh, but I have made up my mind. I don't need to wait any longer after the HTCs and the 800w ship unless all three are absolute flops. I'm guessing the odds are against that (quite frankly and optimistically, look at what both companies appear to have been learning in terms of necessary quality and features?), so I'll buy one of the three. I don't compulsively need the latest and greatest all the time (though I reserve the right to drool over stuff that I realistically won't buy)... it just so happens that I'm willing to jump onto that bleeding edge and am in need of a replacement at the same time. In the meantime, if my 650 keeps acting up, I'll visit Sprint again, and it will likely result in an insurance replacement.

Which reminds me... I think I need to hard-reset again, since that appears to fix whatever happens when I try to load an email program on this stupid thing. Ooops... tangent.
    Who's flying this thing?
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by airibis View Post
    Can you say Sexy?
    No, Mr. Rogers, that's just wrong.

I wonder if the surface treatment on the battery cover is achieved through directional graining or if it really does jut in and out.
    Who's flying this thing?
    I really, really doubt they would release the phone with a jagged back surface...
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    HTC Touch Diamond

Full Specs, Pics & Info- http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=46286

Qualcomm MSM7201A 528 MHz
    ROM: 256 MB
    RAM: 192 MB DDR SDRAM
    Internal storage: 4 GB

Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional

Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR
    Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g

Talk Time:
    Up to 270 minutes for WCDMA
    Up to 330 minutes for GSM

GPS and A-GPS ready
    I read it would be out in the US "within 60 days"....not sure if that's true or not but that should beat the Palm. If they sold the keyboard version, I'd buy it.

HOW LONG MUST I BE STRANDED WITH A PHONE FROM 2005!
    192 MB RAM!! WOW, just WOW!

Surur
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    ok ok maybe sexy was not the word I was going for; it was in the early AM when i posted that if i recall lol

anyways, after seeing the videos on the HTC Diamond today; im sold.

HTC has hooked me, and I have set aside money for the Raphael when it's released.

I know the treo 800w will not have all the bells and whistles and such an amazing ui as the new HTC phones will.

I understand why, the treo is set clean and simple for business users to get the job done.

While I use my treo for my photography business, I would still like some of those ascetic things that HTC offers
    While I like the specs there are some things I dont like...

First off, what is the deal with the headphone jack?
    Interface: HTC ExtUSB™ (mini-USB and audio jack in one;

How about the battery?
    Battery: 900 mAh

LAME, LAME, LAME

If this thing is that powerful and you only have that size of batter and you use the web, or any media for a bit of time, you are probably screwed on the battery. And why would I want to buy an adapter form my headphones? I already had to buy a dang one for the Palm, but now another form?

What is the deal with companies?

Besides that, most of the other specs look great. But once again it wont be in the US for a few months probably, so we dont have to worry anyway.

I also (though the treo specs are becoming old school) like my keypad still. It is a great thing to have, and I dont know if I could stand not having one. Cant say for sure, but I am so used to it, i'd feel lost without it.

I even see people who have the slide keyboard and feel as if it is another step I dont want to do. Slide the phone back and forth just to reveal the keypad

Just my thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Wrong again buddy.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast