View Poll Results: Will the 800w be enough for you?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Can't beat the Treo form factor.

40 50.63%
  • The Diamond and Raphael are tempting tasty treats, I'm waiting!

29 36.71%
  • I can't wait for any of them... I'm off to the store now!

4 5.06%
  • I belong to "iA": iPhoneaholics Anonymous

3 3.80%
  • I use GSM and don't play in your little CDMA games.

3 3.80%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Raphael is supposed to be 17mm, whereas the Kaiser is 18mm. The Kaiser has a 1350 mAh battery. I think since its not significantly thinner, it would have a similar size battery.

The Diamond on the other hand is supposed to be 10.9mm, which is a lot thinner than the Touch at 13.9mm. The Touch has a 1100 mAh battery, so I can well believe a much thinner Diamond would have a much smaller battery.

Surur
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I like the Treo form factor. But I am afraid that Palm doesnt come out with as much flash revision as HTC does often.

Whats your thought?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm still not a fan of the slider but will certainly take a hard look at it when it arrives to see if it's "all that" lol but I sure hope that 900mah battery can carry that burden of awesomeness ;-)
    Yeah... that does seem ridiculously small... maybe it comes with a pocket nuclear reactor and the battery is so that you can lift it to your head and avoid the additional radiation to your head that a reactor might give off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    As far as support from Palm--hard to say at this point. Surprisingly, the Centro is quite bug-free (or at least there is nothing universally agreed upon as needing major fixing) and the only reason for an update (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $is$ $for$ $Google$ $Maps$ &$quot$;$My$ $Location$&$quot$; $to$ $be$ $enabled$ ($API$ $is$ $needed$). $It$'$s$ $been$ $my$ $impression$ $that$ $all$ $OEMs$ $and$ $carriers$ $have$ $been$ $more$ $willing$ $to$ $grant$ $and$ $do$ $updates$ $for$ $devices$ ($like$ $the$ $universal$ $6$.$1$ $updates$ $on$ $Sprint$) $so$ $hopefully$ $that$ $will$ $carry$ $over$ $to$ $Palm$ $if$ $they$ $need$ $them$ ($plus$ $the$ $whole$ $beta$ $test$ $project$ $should$ $catch$ most "issues" you would think).
    I've been vaguely aware of the Centro's success as a quality product, and capriciously chose to not include it in my statements. I must admit, it's a positive note for Palm.
    Who's flying this thing?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I like the Treo form factor. But I am afraid that Palm doesnt come out with as much flash revision as HTC does often.

Whats your thought?
    Same fear here, although it's not just HTC that Palm competes against there... there seems to be quite a lot of support in the community... the XDA-Developers community in particular. I haven't really looked into the depths of support that the WM Treos have gotten from the community, though, so perhaps I'm incorrect in thinking that the HTC products get more support from community patches than Palm WM products.
    Who's flying this thing?
    Well Malatesta posted what appears to me to be a very good scoop on the new HTC devices. I have to say 1) its good information and 2) if this comes out soon enough its very tempting.

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ru...ond_and_r.html

If the battery life is good--a VGA screen would be amazing. I'd go for the Raphael...I heard this was not coming until Q4 but if its coming in the next few months I'd be all over it.
    Let me start off by saying that I have always liked the Plam Treo and have owned several generations. If they still have it, I was one of the first user on this board to post proof and pictures of the Treo 600 w/o Camera as I needed to get one for use in court rooms and such. As an IT consultant, I have also highly recomended them over other phones, and most recently, have recomended the Treo Centro over the IPhone (who wants slow internet even if it does display the pages correctly?) $100 vs. $399 for similar if not better functionality. With these things in mind, I was about to wait for the Treo 800w with all of its glorified specificaitons. At the time, I currently owned the Treo 700wx.

In my deliberations and research to get a new device (as time was running out of the life expetency of my 700wx), I did above and beyond on reading the reviews and forums on everything out there. What I learned was this:

A HUGE factor in any decision is user preference. People's ease and comfort with the day to day use of the device is ONE of the biggest factors; certainly not the only one. So when it came time and I chose the Mogul over waiting for the 800w (lets not forget the great discounts that I was able to get on the phone that had already been out for a year), the main factor was going from something that was one-handed operation to something that would require, at times, two hands. Having now spent over a month with the Mogul, and giving it ample time to gain some comfortability with day to day operations ... the possibilities and realized potential of the device blow the 700wx out of the water. GPS, High Speed EVDO revision A, Landscape mode for browsing the net at high speeds and with Opera Mini (similar browsing experience as IPHONE), built-in WiFI, etc .. etc ...

I believe designs and capabilities that the IPHONE teases us with are the future of multi-communication devices .... most of my business clients have a strong desire to swith to the Iphone with the only hesitations being limitations to Exchange integration and Internet Speeds. With this in mind, the new HTC phones seem to have all the positives of the IPHONE designs with taking all the negative issues and fixing them. Tactile Keyboard with a VGA touch screen? High Speed EVDO-A? 3MP Camera? Built-in GPS? Great Form Factor?

The Treo 800w will be a great phone and will compete against the older form factor of the Blackberrys. It will be the business version of the Centro and will do well. But, much like the blackberries, it represents the best of the old generation in design and technology.

Given that palm is moving away from the Palm software, perhaps it also means the last great horah for Palm. Who needs a Foleo when you can have enjoyable web browsing and e-mail reading and writing on the phone itself. How do I know this is possible? Because, for the first time ever, I enjoy surfing the net on my phone and do so regulary? E-mail with calendar and contact syncronization? Not a problem. Google Maps and searches with GPS integration? Got it. Tactile Keyboard for fast and accurate typing? Have it. Normal looking and feeling Cell Phone? Have that too.

The treo is still a great device and I now have three family members and one friend with Centros. Without hesitation though, they all marvel at my Mogul and recognize it's strengths over their devices. Even my two IT friends with Treo 700s give props to the Mogul. I think HTC is on the right track along with Apple in pushing into new and better design ideas and perspectives and perhaps, unlike Apple, HTC is working to design technology that compliments users' needs instead of forcing form factors on them.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treogables View Post
    ...A HUGE factor in any decision is user preference. People's ease and comfort with the day to day use of the device is ONE of the biggest factors; certainly not the only one. ...

I believe designs and capabilities that the IPHONE teases us with are the future of multi-communication devices ....
    I'm happy for you treogables. Still, one design is not going to please everyone. Whether cars or clothing, laptops or jewelry, shoes or houses, there will be be different strokes for different folks. Having used multiple HTC sliders, that's one form factor that even after a 12month stint, I yet find very awkward to use (compared to my trusty 700wx.) That's how I feel about the Mogul.
    Palm seriously needs to refresh it's offering but there aren't were not as many new capabilities introduced by the iphone. That device however was beautifully designed.
    We know the 800w to be Palm's next offering targeted at the enterprise. The centro has been a hit with it's target audience(younger consumers and first time smartphone users.) Now, what does Palm have planned for the multimedia loving prosumer power user? Does anyone have an idea?
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 04/29/2008 at 06:51 AM.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    People are so hungry for a refresh the key for all these devices is when. Looks like June-July for 3g Iphone. And August for Treo.
    When are these suckers coming out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    900mah battery? Haha...they better include 2 of them and a charger that will take the extra battery. I don't know how thick the Raphael is, but I'd rather they make it a little thicker and toss a 1500mah or bigger in there. Carrying/charging extra batteries=wack. My Mogul and Treo barely make it through a day, how the hell are these new HTC devices going to last with 900mah batteries? Other than that, everything looks awesome...I definitely want the Raphael.
    Maybe they left off a 1 and the battery is really a 1900mah battery.
    Hmm there is a post in engadget that says MAY 6. But its not clear if that is when it is available and if it will be in Europe only first or whether a Us lauch will take place. But yeah if the battery life is good that will be my next phone.
    Following Treogables thoughtful discussion above about design issues and the future, it seems that Palm would be in the best position to kind of forge a new market where there is currently quite a void, and that's for ruggedized smartphones. Huge fleets of field service personnel are coming to need these mobile capabilities, and the options for these folks are non existent. Motorola/symbol MC35/50/70's you say? Check the prices on those things. Ruggedization is the one thing that Palm's 'aging' form factor would lend itself well to, and since there isn't a soul in the universe that has considered this upcoming needy demographic they should be able to do well by offering such a device. The new HTC devices and iphones are cool, but at some point some of these manufacturers will need to realize that not everyone that needs them spends all of their time in a suit on an airplane. But if HTC can figure out how to 'harden' a slider, I"m in!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    Now, what does Palm have planned for the multimedia loving prosumer power user? Does anyone have an idea?
    In terms of WM devices, there are no signs they are entering that market specifically. Palm's roadmap has WM devices pretty much just aimed at enterprise with the Treo line.

However, that "prosumer power user" area will most likely be filled by their successor to Garnet i.e. "Nova" with a range of devices and form factors i.e. not just front qwerty. That OS and those devices will be consumer orientated, focusing on ease of use, messaging and media (at least according to Palm).

Of course the time-frame for such devices is quite a ways off: early 2009.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Since the 800w looks more like the Centro formfactor (which I don't like as much as the Treo 755p), I am quite interested in the HTC Raphael.

It is a ways off though...
    Dear Palm,

Most Companies are in business to make money which means you need a product to sell. Most Companies release products in a timely manner in order to generate revenue and a customer base. This is called a business model that has been around since the inception of buying and selling. So how does Palm fit into this equation? Can a business survive with a 2 year release gap between handsets? The Palm faithful have even left (including myself) the overdated 700 series brick in favor of something more stylish. What are you waiting for? I have read that you do not make many of the handsets you sell. So in between the long hiatus why not let one of these companies release something, anything with the Palm name on it? I really hope you can stay in business. I really don't see how. The 800w does not have anything to offer (other than a memory bump) that we cannot get in current devices. I hope it can make a sandwhich or do something spectacular. Otherwise this may be your last hoorah EVER!
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Maybe they left off a 1 and the battery is really a 1900mah battery.
    Not likely....the dimensions of those devices are too thin to fit a 1900 mah battery in IMO. Take a look at your Treo 650/700 batteries. Those are 1800mah and are about twice the thickness of the Mogul batteries.. Now if the Raphael is going to be thinner than the Mogul, I doubt that they can fit 1900 maH in such a small packge. I'd really love to be proven wrong though.
    The Mogul already has an 1800mAh battery (aftermarket) and it's very thin. If they could make the battery a little taller or wider, 1900mAh would be very easy to achieve.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    The 800w does not have anything to offer (other than a memory bump) that we cannot get in current devices.
    This is where you're wrong. The 800w will (hopefully!) actually work when it's released and not rely on hours of work from hackers before it actually becomes useable. When you want to make a phone call on it, it'll actually make a phone call and without going through a bunch of hoops! When you want to type a text message or email, it'll make it really easy to do since the keyboard will be right there and easily accessible without having to wait for the screen to rotate. When I wear the 800w on my hip in my holster and go in to a meeting, I'll be able to silence it very easily so i don't get disturbed in my meeting without even turning the device on OR pulling it out of it's holster even.

I know you say you've become disillusioned and left the Palm camp. I agree with you the 700 form factor is quite a bit long in the tooth. But it's the best damned Windows Mobile phone I've ever used and I go waaaaay back to the Toshiba 2032SP.

For every person such as yourself that might have left, there is one to replace you. One that feels that the damn thing should work the way it's supposed to out of the box. That I shouldn't have to spend hours and hours customizing and flashing roms just so that I can attempt to use the damn thing for everyday usage.

My last phone I used for an extended period of time was the PPC-6600. Not a week went by that I wasn't tinkering with it. Hard resetting it. Flashing it to try and like the damn thing. At the time I thought I loved it. Now I realize I was struggling. I haven't soft reset the 700wx in months and I haven't hard reset it since getting the damn thing... In November 2006. I used to change out my phones every time a new model came out. From the 2032Sp to the G1000 to the 6600, and these were all great leaps ahead at the time between each device. However, the fact that I have kept the 700wx for over a year and a half now, and probably going to encroach on two years before it's all said and done, is a testament to just how GOOD this device is and how there's not another WinMo device on the maket (at least in NA on CDMA) that can even come close to comparing to it.

The thing that irritates me the most with Palm-haters is that they just don't understand the market Palm is targeting. Palm is not targeting XDA-Dev users. They're not targeting the users that think their e-***** grows 2" every time they whip their phone out, slide open a keyboard and start geeking out about how much better their phone is than iphone.

I may not look as cool as my co-worker, who recently purchased his first WM phone, a Verizon 6800 but he's been constantly complaining about how slow it is, how it misses phone calls, turns on in his pocket and dies every night because he forgot to turn the WiFi switch off again.

While I may not look as cool or feel as elite as he does now that I use a Treo, at least my phone is always there for me, always ready to do whatever I ask it at a moments notice, and that's to do anything I ask it to do whenever I tell it to without having to spend hours preparing it to do what I might or might not tell it to do at some unspecified point in the future.

And I wouldn't trade that for anything right now.
    Last edited by bearxor; 04/29/2008 at 10:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Oooo! I just had xv6700 and mogul flashbacks...pause...

Now, I reach thoughtfully toward my 700wx and wonder how I became so eager to replace her. I had been looking at younger faces; having grown weary of her reliable and predictable sameness.

Sigh... My dear, the end is not yet. But, we know however, it is near. Your screen will be left dim and the 800w will be in hand. Then shall it be said, "parting is such sweet sorrow."

Okay, see what happens when you work really late and check treocentral one last time before going to bed. Somebody remind me not to post anymore after midnight.

Bearxor, I hear ya loud and clear.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by bearxor View Post
    While I may not look as cool or feel as elite as he does now that I use a Treo, at least my phone is always there for me, always ready to do whatever I ask it at a moments notice, and that's to do anything I ask it to do whenever I tell it to without having to spend hours preparing it to do what I might or might not tell it to do at some unspecified point in the future.

And I wouldn't trade that for anything right now.
    You know, if my 650 were always ready to do whatever I ask it at a moment's notice, then I'd be right there with you. Heck, I might be dreaming less of a new phone, as I'd rather just be saving money for a house (gosh, that takes everything, doesn't it?). However, my phone's not as reliable as I'd like for it to be, I've spent too much time trying to make it more reliable, and anything I try to do to make it more reliable seems to mean I have to give up functionality, and the 650 used to its fullest doesn't even deliver all the features I now want. Yes, I am talking about a Palm OS device and can recognize that there's a potential apples-to-oranges there, but I've lost confidence in Palm's products through my ownership of the 650, and through the reviews I've seen of later Palm products. I realize there's a chance that I won't find any more reliability elsewhere, but I figured it comes down to a definition of insanity I've once heard... If you keep doing the same thing and constantly expect something different, that may not be sane. So, it's time for me to try something new... and since the HTC products have even more features that I desire, I'm planning on trying one of them.
    Who's flying this thing?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Snowbound, if you're considering an HTC device, you should definitely try a Palm WinMob device. Though you will find some feature advantages (bluetooth) with the HTC's, the quickest, most intuitive way of working in WinMob is the Palm way. You really can't judge what current Palm devices can do based on your 650. If you want multi-tasking with simultaneous voice and data try a 750 with wm5 or 6.0. Some of the palm special sauce shows it's value when you try something else. For example why does wm make me use function keys to type digits when I'm in a numeric field. Why did it take palm to automatically enable the numeric key functions in the places where I would only type numbers??? My 700wx has been ridiculously stable while continually multi-tasking (including gps navigation.)
    Try a Palm WinMob device and you'll see why so many are awaiting the 800w instead of something else. If they weren't so slow in getting it to market there wouldn't be so many defectors.
    Nevertheless, different strokes for different folks. If HTC works better for you, go for it.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast