1.    #1  
    Well I've done it again. Back in 2007, I went out and got a Samsung i760 to replace my Treo 700wx. (I was with Verizon until 1/1/2008.) I was with the 760 for all of 48 hours before going back to the Treo. I determined once and for all that I hated slider keyboards.

Well with the imate Ultimate 8502 now out, I decided things were different. After all, the 8502 is a candybar QWERTY like the Treo. However, it has double the RAM and ROM, GPS, Wi-fi, and the whole works. Plus it has a scroll wheel, and a 240x320 2.6 inch screen. And it has all of that with still being 14 grams light and 7 mm thinner than the 750! It has today screen "smart dial lookup" just like the Treo also.

How could it not be the perfect device?

Guess what? It's not Not for me anyway. After a week, I'm going back to the Treo 750. In short, I hated it. Reasons:

- I hate that *&%$##*& joystick. It sucks compared to the d-pad for one handed use.

- Center of gravity is too top heavy, so it just didn't feel good to hold and use one-handed. 8502 is too tall and thin. Even though it is 10% lighter, it doesn't "feel" lighter when using with one hand.

- imate made it impossible to customize certain things the way I want them. For example, there are more hardware button than the Treo, yet only one button is customizable! Are you kidding?

- Boxy and plastic feel vs. Treo 750 curvy and soft touch paint. Treo just feels like an extension of my hand.

Anyway, the online dealer allowed me send it back with no restocking fee. Now I will be happy with the 750 and forget about all the reasons I want a new phone (low RAM, ROM, no wifi, no GSP, 1.3 MP camera, etc..) for a month or so.

Then I'll try the HP 914c, which should fit the hand better and has the tried and true d-pad. If that fails, I guess I'll have to wait until Palm gets the
    800 line to GSM hopefully in 2008, but I'm not holding my breath. Even then, I'd have to hope Palm doesn't screw up their perfect form factor when adding features!

Bottom line is that the 750 is the best WM professional device EVER made in terms of using with one hand. For me, that still trumps better specs, more features, etc...
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    I am in the same boat but liking it better.

I came from the Treo 750v (best feel of a smartphone in my hand).

The first couple of days I was freaking out and considering the return.

It has grown on me. Just the number of programs installed on the device vs. the card, wow.

The joy stick takes some getting used to. I still prefer the dpad but I can hold out with the joy stick until I get the Treo 850 (not 800) or the HP 910.

I agree the hardware buttons should be available to customize out of the gate. I installed the AE Button thingy program.

GPS is great and WIFI is great (don't use it much). Better to have and not need often then need and not have.

imate.com great online services for load and configure.

HCSD not ready, not good with all of the device out that do support it.

Just my thoughts.

Regards
    graylion
    Where did you get the 8502 from ? I don't see any dealers selling the stuff in the US. Did you have a chance to try Blackberry Connect on it ?

Thanks,
    HC
    I was also reading some posts on expansys saying that i-mate will come out w/ some SW update pretty soon for the 9502 and I presume for 8502 as well. If you need Blackberry connect you can get it from sems.org. I can hardly wait to get my hands on one of these ....

Thanks,
    HC
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hchickers View Post
    Where did you get the 8502 from ? I don't see any dealers selling the stuff in the US. Did you have a chance to try Blackberry Connect on it ?

Thanks,
    HC
    You can buy the imate 8502 or 9502 from certain UK websites and have them shipped to the US.

www.devicewire.com
    www.clove.co.uk

Even after shipping, they are cheaper than here. For example, at Clove I paid 318 pounds = $630 + $75 for 2 -day delivery = $705. Remember you have to look at the price WITHOUT the VAT tax added.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Got it . Thanks. I guess that we are not paying VAT because the devices are sent to the US instead of being used in UK. Is any of these accepting returns in case I don't like the device ? Also did you try Blackberry connect on it ?

Thanks,
    HC
    I think the Samsung i780 is a better option than the i760 or imate 8502. Im seriously considering this phone.

Specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i780-2124.php

Video:
    Proud Owner of a Palm Treo 650 Black Tie (:
    ---------------------------------------------------

Thanks,
    HC
    I purchased it from Clove (very fast shipping - 3 days from UK to Florida).

Not sure about blackberry connect. I use SherWeb hosted exchange server and activeSync with no problems.

Regards
    graylion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyfer33 View Post
    I think the Samsung i780 is a better option than the i760 or imate 8502. Im seriously considering this phone.

Specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i780-2124.php

Video:
    Not very useful for Florida, missing one band.

Regards
    graylion
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post
    Not very useful for Florida, missing one band.

Regards
    Correct. I would have considered the 780, but it does not have the North American 3G band. A shame really.

Did not try Blackberry Connect on the 8502.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  11.    #11  
    Got it . Thanks. I guess that we are not paying VAT because the devices are sent to the US instead of being used in UK. Is any of these accepting returns in case I don't like the device ? Also did you try Blackberry connect on it ?

Thanks,
    HC
    Did not try Blackberry Connect.

Yes, when you order and ship to the USA, the price is updated to exclude the VAT tax.

I ordered from Clove and their written policy is that you can return within 7 days of receipt for any reason by contacting them and getting a "returns number". There may be a restocking fee of up to 25% if software is opened or the deivce is damaged. You must pay the return shipping (not trivial - about $80 back to UK including insurance).

Anyway, I did that and Clove has honored their policy no questions asked.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net