Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I know there are Skype clients for WM, and there are WiFi cards available for the 700wx. So I'm assuming there's a number of you out there who have used/are using both. My question is, how well does Skype work on the 700wx with WiFi?

I recently left my Treo for an HTC Touch, but I will be traveling internationally in the near future and I'm thinking about buying a WiFi card for my trusty Treo and using it for Skype calls.

If the answer is, "well it technically works but it's completely miserable to use" then I'm going to skip it. But if it actually works reasonably well then this might be a good solution. I appreciate any feedback, thnx!
    I use it when I go out of the country and I think it works great. There is a little delay, but its not bad. The Skype client completely dominates your phone. It runs really slow when you are using it. I will be going to Europe for 5 weeks and plan to use it then.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeb View Post
    I use it when I go out of the country and I think it works great. There is a little delay, but its not bad. The Skype client completely dominates your phone. It runs really slow when you are using it. I will be going to Europe for 5 weeks and plan to use it then.
    Thanks! Yeah, I was guessing that it probably sucks all the CPU it can, but I wouldn't be doing anything else on the Treo at the same time anyway so as long as it works I don't care if I can't do much multitasking.

Another question: can you use a standard wired headset when using Skype? Or for that matter, can you use a bluetooth headset? Also, what WiFi card are you using? (guess that was 3 questions) Thanks again,
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I was thinking about this when I was out of the country last week. My hotel in Mexico provided free WiFi. Since I have a WiFi card on my Treo 700WX, I was able to retrieve my email and surf the internet (with Opera of course!). Anyway, if I used Skype in Mexico to call the US via the free hotel WiFi, I would only be charged Skype charges and would not be chared a roaming charges? Also, I have an unlimited plan so when I am back in the US, I could use Skype.
    It's interesting to hear that Skype kinda works via wifi on a 700wx. It doesn't really work at all on a 750.

I have the Spectec miniSD 802.11 b/g card and the latest driver from the Spectec site. It works great for websurfing, but can only sorta connect on Skype, have a choppy connection for a few seconds and the pfitz! Funny thing is that when I use Skype via the AT&T HSDPA connection it works flawlessly, so I know Skype isn't the problem.

It must be that Spectec did a better job on the SD card driver than they did on the miniSD?

Grumble, Grumble....
    I use the Spectec SDW-821 because its the ultra low power consumption model. You have to use the wired headset. Bluetooth won't work. It might work if it supported A2DP, but I'm not sure. If you don't have the wired headset plugged in, it comes out the loudspeaker. I think it is a small price to pay considering how much cheaper it is to use Skype. I also want to mention that I am not using it heavily when I am out of the country. I just use it to call my girlfriend and family. Also, I plan to use a service to send me my voicemails through email while I am there.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Great, thanks for the replies. So it sounds like the Treo has enough CPU to handle it, and with the Spectec card it should have enough bandwidth too. Cool...
    I am thinking about getting Skype my question is can I use Skype Via my wireless connection (PDA net) Via my 700wx to my laptop? Or it can only connect via broadband internet connection. If so can somebody with a Treo 700P use their wireless connection to Skype.
    You should be able to use skype on your computer if you are connected through pdanet.
    From my experience, using skype with a Treo 700wx and a spectec wifi card is not really usable. Often times, the Treo will get super bogged down to the point where it's nearly locked up. The call quality is just horrible. It may be caused by a combination of the poor latency/speed from the wifi and the slow CPU of the 700wx.

If you go to another country and try to use Skype, they will know you are no longer in the US, and will charge you accordingly. It's still cheap, but don't assume that if you're out of the country and calling a US number that skype will think you're making a US to US call.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Agree with denik. I've tried loading skype on the 4GB card as well as on the unit itself. It is definately a memory hog while running. I found it unstable at best when running from the card. It would lock up about 25% of the time.
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
    I disagree. yea the phone is not useable when you are using skype, but I am not typically using the phone while I am talking. I have been using it daily for 3 weeks while backpacking in europe, and the call quality is no different than when I use a computer. I find that if I use xcpuscalar, it gets rid of the lag when using skype. it is much better than carrying a laptop or having to pay for internet cafes all the time. I would recommend it to anyone who has no other option for making calls, but I wouldn't use it as my primary method of communication.