1.    #1  
    Never mind syncing, my laptop at work won't even recognize my Treo 700w, so syncing is out of the question. What gives?? I've had this thing for years and synced every morning for the most part without any trouble. All of a sudden, NOTHING, no connection. It's not my USB ports, we've checked that they work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Activesync, and deleted the mobile device, but now I can't get the Activesync new partnership set-up wizard to open because my computer doesn't even see my device is plugged into it. Spent 3 hours on the phone with Palm yesterday, with no luck. Followed all the steps from AS's troubleshooting guide If ActiveSync Does Not Detect a USB Connection to a Windows Mobile Powered Device, and also If ActiveSync Cannot Receive Data Through Port 990. No change. Got the whole USB Switch thing happening ("the device will now connect using RNDIS USB"). No difference. I'm dead in the water. Please help. If I can't sync it with my laptop, this device is nothing but an expensive paper weight to me.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Have you recently installed a new firewall? I've got zonealrm and even though I've told it to allow active sync it wouldn't connect with Treo- so I temporarily disable it prior to syncing and turn it back on afterwards-
    Try cleaning the contact points on your Treo and sync cable. Given their age, I suspect the points on the cable might be wearing out a bit.
  4.    #4  
    MarkY, I tried connecting with 2 different cradles and another cable. It's not connecting with any of them. I just used a compressed gas duster on the connection points at the bottom of the device and the connection points on the cable, plugged back in, and held very tight. My Activesync green symbol started turning, but it was the same outcome as all the rest: Connecting, and then Not Connected, No Partnerships. That's as far as I ever get.

marksr, I will have to check on the firewall. The problem is that this is a work computer, not a personal computer. I work for a very large global firm, and they constantly put all manner of stuff on our computers for protection, but I have been syncing to this computer for years now and, no matter what is on it, connecting and syncing have never been a problem. This past Tuesday, all of a sudden, I just stopped connecting.

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I'm sorry for your trouble. Have you tried a hard reset of the Treo?
  6.    #6  
    Not yet. I really don't want to do that because, when I deleted the mobile device (at Palm's suggestion) and uninstalled and reinstalled Activesync on my computer, my Treo file folder disappeared from my desktop. All my files are still on my device, and if I hard re-set, I'll lose them. So that is really really a last-ditch move on my part.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I'm assuming that you don't have any backup program installed on the Treo. If that's true, you might want to consider doing an OTA trial download of Spb Backup. You could then backup the Treo and restore after the hard reset. I have done it successfully in the past.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks. I think if all else fails (and it seems to be failing), I will have to go that route. I've never done a backup before -- can you tell me if it's possible just to back up files? My contacts and calendar are all on my desktop, it's just the files that I would need to back up.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Yes, with Spb Backup (which is the only program I've used for backing up my Treo,although I'm not affiliated with them in any way) you can select the files to be backed up to your SD card, and you can also choose the files to be restored. It's a straightforward and easy process. If you need any assistance, just let me know.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks. It sure looks like a hard reset WHICH I HATE DOING is my only recourse. I took my cable home and tried to connect/sync to my home desktop, and got the exact same Not Connected, No Partnerships result, so at least I know it is the device, it's not my work laptop, it's not cos of some firewall. it's the Treo. I'll pick up an SD card this weekend and attempt the backup. If I get into trouble, I just might take you up on your offer for more assistance. Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    No problem. I'm no expert, but will be happy to offer whatever assistance I can. If you need help and I'm not online, just send me an email. Best of luck.
  12.    #12  
    Update: tech support friend at work helped me connect and sync via infrared, but because it is so slow, he strongly recommended a hard reset so I could resume syncing with the cable.

After hard reset, and uninstalling and reinstalling ActiveSync, and deleting and adding the mobile device, now Treo connects via cable, which is a good sign, that's what it couldn't do all last week, but I'm still unable to sync!! And, of course, now my device is empty. Wiped out.

Have spent about 8 hours since last week trying to get this thing working again. Very very frustrated.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Do you have hosted Exchange? I currently use http://themessagecenter.com, but I believe that these instructions are fairly general for most Treo's (I have a 650):

1. Press the Home button (located just below the screen on the left side).
    2. Select and open VersaMail. You may be prompted to do initial setup. If so, click Continue.
    3. Press the Menu button (located just below the screen on the right side).
    4. Select Accounts.
    5. From the Accounts menu, select Account Setup.
    6. Do one of the following:

* Select the existing account (probably named VersaMail) and click Edit, or
    * Click New if there is no existing account to create another account.

7. In the Account Name field, enter a name for the account. This can be any name you like.
    8. From the Mail Service drop-down menu, select Exchange ActiveSync.
    9. Click Next.
    10. Enter your user name (your full email address).
    11. If you are not prompted to enter the password, click on the Password field on the display.
    12. In the New Password field, enter your password. Caution: The characters will be visible on the screen. Click OK to close the New Password field.
    13. Click Next.
    14. Enter your e-mail address. You may have to highlight and delete some characters that appear there automatically. Substitute your own user name for username.
    15. In the Mail Server field, enter your exchange mail server address. Click Next.
    16. Click Done.
    17. If the application does not automatically exit from Account Setup, click OK to exit. You have now completed the configuration process. You may see a brief completion message. Your new mailbox displays.
    18. Click Sync to synchronize your e-mail and calendar. If you have a lot of mail, this process could take some time.
    19. If you are prompted about whether to connect to the Internet, click Yes.
    20. The messages from your mailbox display on your screen.
    21. You can now click New to send a new message or click Display if you want to change the appearance of the screen.

Hopefully this helps...
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rascalfishy View Post
    After hard reset, and uninstalling and reinstalling ActiveSync, and deleting and adding the mobile device, now Treo connects via cable, which is a good sign, that's what it couldn't do all last week, but I'm still unable to sync!! And, of course, now my device is empty. Wiped out.
    Just a thought...when you connected after the hard reset and added the mobile device, did ActiveSync open on your PC? If so, did it ask whether you wanted to combine the info on your Treo or overwrite it? If it didn't, maybe the ActiveSync program itself is corrupted. I'd try a fresh download/install to test it.

When you say your device is "wiped out," do you mean that your info is gone (which is to be expected, of course) or is it not functioning at all?
    My company laptop has a trend micro firewall running as a service. If it's running, I get the same kind of behavior....spinning green activsync, and no connect.

If you go to my computer, and manage processes, look for something you might be able to kill, and or disable automatic start. Mine was called OfficeScan NT personal firewall.

Good luck.