Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sat down next to this guy on a flight I took today. I was using my touch, he asked how I like it. I looked at his, what I thought was a centro, and asked how he like his, and he told me it was an 800w he was beta testing.

Overall, I was not crazy about it. Form factor was nice, but the plastic outershell was a let down. Also was using an 1100 mah battery which he said was terrible. It was the much confirmed 256/128, wifi and wm 6.1. Its nice, dont get me wrong, but its so late to market that it really didnt have the "wow" factor I was hoping for.
    I dont think I want the 800w. Im just going to stick with my 700wx I just got about a mont ago. Im usually super geeked about new phones but here lately they have all been a disappointment, but I like mine. Maybe in 2 years there will be something worth looking at again. I am phone burnt out.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    can you find a pic online that looks similar to the device you saw and link to or post it?
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    can you find a pic online that looks similar to the device you saw and link to or post it?
    The device looks EXACTLY like the ones you have seen online. for instance, the one at the Bill Gates speach. the color is a solid burgundy with a little sparkle to it. typical VZW ugly stick treatment. The keyboard also seemed a little smallish, not centro smallish, but smallish non the less.
    How was the screen? Did the gps work? Was it fast?
    I believe Palm will not give the "Actual" product to tester. The objective of beta testing is the software compatiability not the outlook and battery life. Like the Centro, the earlier version looked ulgy but the actual product looks a lot better, IMO.
    anyone know what processor the 800w is running?
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    How was the screen? Did the gps work? Was it fast?
    The screen was fine. Nothing fantastic. Couldnt find GPS on it, dont know if this has been confirmed or not. Yes, it was very quick through the menu's.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    I believe Palm will not give the "Actual" product to tester. The objective of beta testing is the software compatiability not the outlook and battery life. Like the Centro, the earlier version looked ulgy but the actual product looks a lot better, IMO.
    The guy worked for Verizon. It was the 800W, no doubt.
    Damn 1100 mAh battery? That sounds pretty discouraging. Maybe on a regular flip that's okay but I don't think any pda device should have anything less than atleast 1500 mAh. I REALLY hope they beef up the battery a little before release.
    Last edited by untouchablez; 04/23/2008 at 11:04 PM.
    1100mah sounds exceptionally low, especially since we know the 800w is larger than the Centro which has an 1150mah battery.

Time will tell.

As far as GPS, has Verizon even unlocked their xv6800 yet for that feature?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    How thin or thick was the 800w, say, compared to your touch? Also, how heavy did it feel compared to the touch? And i'm glad you said that the keyboard was a little larger than the centro kb - such a small kb would be a deal breaker for me.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    How thin or thick was the 800w, say, compared to your touch? Also, how heavy did it feel compared to the touch? And i'm glad you said that the keyboard was a little larger than the centro kb - such a small kb would be a deal breaker for me.
    It was about as thick as my touch which as the seidio 2000 mah battery and larger back cover.
    No difference in resolution with the 320 x 320 screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post

Overall, I was not crazy about it. Form factor was nice, but the plastic outershell was a let down. Also was using an 1100 mah battery which he said was terrible. It was the much confirmed 256/128, wifi and wm 6.1. Its nice, dont get me wrong, but its so late to market that it really didnt have the "wow" factor I was hoping for.
    That is my concern, by the time Palm plans to release their 800w- HTC will have their updated models ready for launch in the fall which is supposed to have VGA screens.
    They really need to make the 800w a hit but rumored specs so far seem too blah.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob View Post
    That is my concern, by the time Palm plans to release their 800w- HTC will have their updated models ready for launch in the fall which is supposed to have VGA screens.
    They really need to make the 800w a hit but rumored specs so far seem too blah.
    Perhaps, but assuming the typical "Treo form factor", what else in way of technology* can be added?

Now that more info on Wimax has come out, I don't think it'll be useful on a pda. QChat would be nice, but that's more or less a software addition from Sprint (which I hope gets added).

Of course there are things I can't think of but even those new HTC devices are really just "sleeker" looking devices with VGA screens which is not exactly earth shattering technology (though very welcomed). Even "Menneisyys" considers HTC's recent lineup "boring, unimaginative and far from multimedia- and gaming-friendly" which is a very different interpretation from users here in the States.

I am curious about the "plastic shell" observation. It would make sense since the goal is a slimmer/lighter device, the more solid traditional feel of Treos would have to go for lighter composites. But it begs the question is it just lighter but stronger composite or not put together well? The Centro is also light plastic but extremely strong (as my friend and I tried to rip one apart, I can vouch).

You find the same arguments with digital cams where one model was more "metal" and the updated model is lighter, stronger plastic. You get the same "it feels cheaper" comments.

*Here I mean technology that is or will be out in the next 6-12 months and is able to be mass produced e.g. while OLED is very neat, from what I've read there can't do blue, mass produce the screens in large enough quantity and size and "they're just not ready yet".
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/24/2008 at 04:54 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Perhaps, but assuming the typical "Treo form factor", what else in way of technology* can be added?

Now that more info on Wimax has come out, I don't think it'll be useful on a pda. QChat would be nice, but that's more or less a software addition from Sprint (which I hope gets added).

Of course there are things I can't think of but even those new HTC devices are really just "sleeker" looking devices with VGA screens which is not exactly earth shattering technology (though very welcomed). Even "Menneisyys" considers HTC's recent lineup "boring, unimaginative and far from multimedia- and gaming-friendly" which is a very different interpretation from users here in the States.

I am curious about the "plastic shell" observation. It would make sense since the goal is a slimmer/lighter device, the more solid traditional feel of Treos would have to go for lighter composites. But it begs the question is it just lighter but stronger composite or not put together well? The Centro is also light plastic but extremely strong (as my friend and I tried to rip one apart, I can vouch).

You find the same arguments with digital cams where one model was more "metal" and the updated model is lighter, stronger plastic. You get the same "it feels cheaper" comments.

*Here I mean technology that is or will be out in the next 6-12 months and is able to be mass produced e.g. while OLED is very neat, from what I've read there can't do blue, mass produce the screens in large enough quantity and size and "they're just not ready yet".

The build quality seems very solid, I didnt mean to insinuate it wasnt. But the soft touch paint that many pda's are getting is just so much nicer than a hard, shiny plastic. The buttons seemed firm, there was no creeking in the housing. Overall it was solid. but with that plastic it just looked cheap. this was a beta, so it could be that the production models will have a nicer casing.

to the other question regarding the 320x320. I am using a 320x240 and I really didnt notice that much of a difference.
    OH,...most importantly, did the dude say when VZW would be releasing it.... o:
    Quote Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
    It's not an 1100mAh battery folks
    Didn't think so. Thanks.
    What size is it?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast