Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anybody have any ideas? here is part of the post from engadet mobile. looks like a credible rumor. How does Palm/sprint usually decide beta testers. I have one idea I am researching--maybe there are other thoughts on how to get in to testing.

Word on the street (or via super-secret emails) is that Palm is about to begin beta testing on a fancy new device. Apparently, an email went out to select individuals calling for Sprint customers who will use Bluetooth devices and have access to WiFi. The email further requests that potential testers be "seasoned business professionals" who "commute and spend a ton of time working on email and on the phone." From the sounds of things, the company is gearing up to road test its heavily rumored, WiFi-equipped Treo 800w, a Windows Mobile device likely sporting 6.1. If you don't know what we're talking about, it's that mildly dated looking device from Gates' CES keynote that we've also seen in leaks recently. Nice going on the new spec and inclusion of WiFi (at long last) -- now how about some new form factors?
    Beta testing for Palm is handled by a 3rd party company.

You sign up and fill in your demographics, equipment (phones & computers), OS's etc.

When a beta opportunity comes up, candidates are selected randomly via their demographics/profile and are then offered a spot in the tester group. Feedback is handled via a message board system and of course testers are under NDA. Testing is usually 3-4 weeks.

At this point, unless you know someone at Palm to go to bat for you (Sprint is not involved), there is no shot at getting in on the 800w testing, though you can always sign up for future chances.

Edit: Actually, enrollment itself is closed as well, so signing up for future testing is currently not possible either.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/22/2008 at 01:52 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    yup I can confirm what Malatesta said. Selection is complete and I'm pissed I didn't find out sooner I could have had 800w to play with.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    ...and the circle is complete..
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Correct. Phones are arriving tomorrow...............
    So I know it's not currently available for the future, but how do you sign up with the third party for future consideration?
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    After this program starts the site will be opened back up.
    yeah, but what's the site's address................
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
    Correct. phones arrive at my office tomorrow.....

just kiddin.
    http://feedback.palm.com

I wish I was kidding .... NOT..... Wait what were we talking about?
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Well, where is it and how you get to be selected?

I bet it will be running on Sprint network right?

I bet somebody will get drunk and leak us some info.
    I will not get....I mean....No one will get drunk tomorrow and leak any info
    As much as I would love to see a leaked pic I doubt it will happen due to NDA's... this might be a tight ship being run here.

Sigh... I so want the 800w (hell I'd love to get into this BETA). More so, I hope they know whats good for them and realize this 6800 successor from HTC (imagine the Touch + Mogul banging) might be the nail in the coffin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    More so, I hope they know whats good for them and realize this 6800 successor from HTC (imagine the Touch + Mogul banging) might be the nail in the coffin.
    Ya, the HTC Raphael is looking quite tempting. TouchFlo interface, slider keyboard, Wifi, GPS, Rev A, 3MP camera, VGA screen, and due in September on Sprint, Palm needs to get the 800w out the door sooner rather than later.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    Ya, the HTC Raphael is looking quite tempting. TouchFlo interface, slider keyboard, Wifi, GPS, Rev A, 3MP camera, VGA screen, and due in September on Sprint, Palm needs to get the 800w out the door sooner rather than later.
    Exactly... that is a device only thought of in dreams. ESPECIALLY for CDMA... which usually gets the crap end of the stick when it comes to devices. I mean, the first VGA device for a Sprint WM phone... slick.
    Here's the thing with Sprint: their upcoming WM devices complement each other, not really compete (and the 800w will be out before them).

So if you like sliders, then you have Raphel; front qwerty the 800; no kb but sleek you have Diamond. I think that's a fantastic offering. For myself, while the specs on the Raphel are a "dream" it's still a slider, so no-go on that.

But I do look dorward to playing with them.

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    The VGA screen looks pretty interesting-- I wonder how they got battery life up with a screen like that. I didn't like the Mogul precisely becaus of bad battery life and a cruddy processer. It's pointless to put a nice screen on there if you have to charge it every 3 hours.

September is a long time away though for them to get chipsets that will handle it.
    P.S. I am pretty sure I figured out how to get my mitts on one....fingers crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Here's the thing with Sprint: their upcoming WM devices complement each other, not really compete (and the 800w will be out before them).

So if you like sliders, then you have Raphel; front qwerty the 800; no kb but sleek you have Diamond. I think that's a fantastic offering. For myself, while the specs on the Raphel are a "dream" it's still a slider, so no-go on that.

But I do look dorward to playing with them.
    Disagree with you on that Mal.

Since there are a limited number of WM devices on Sprint (due to the lack of SIM cards), I feel that when there are 3 devices that have WM they are competing just as much as unlocked devices on GSM do. I am not talking from a POWER user perspective, because I love a front facing keyboard myself... however, a regular consumer who wants to move to a SP device sees it as competition not completeness.
    I see what you mean, I just meant it from a consumer perspective as in you have 3 solid choices for WM.

Fact is, if you prefer sliders then the 800 or Touch is not an option anyways, so from Sprint's perspective they have all the major categories covered for the consumer.

Now, had HTC had a "tero killer" coming on Sprint as well...then you'd have real competition between the devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I see what you mean, I just meant it from a consumer perspective as in you have 3 solid choices for WM.

Fact is, if you prefer sliders then the 800 or Touch is not an option anyways, so from Sprint's perspective they have all the major categories covered for the consumer.

Now, had HTC had a "tero killer" coming on Sprint as well...then you'd have real competition between the devices.
    That I can agree with.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast