Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by hufn View Post
    From WM6 what I'd really like is the html email
    Me, too... me, too!!
    Actually one of the things that really interest me are the new office files.

Especially the new pxle.exe file. 359kb instead of over 2 megs!
    I believe our AKU is a Palm Specialty, I think putting in anything else (other than say the 750's AKU, we would lose the special blend). I knew removing files from ROM doesn't give us more Program space (I've used the Apache kitchen before), I just wanted bloatware gone to possibly speed things up... that is what I was looking for in terms of removal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I believe our AKU is a Palm Specialty, I think putting in anything else (other than say the 750's AKU, we would lose the special blend). I knew removing files from ROM doesn't give us more Program space (I've used the Apache kitchen before), I just wanted bloatware gone to possibly speed things up... that is what I was looking for in terms of removal.
    Sounds like a great combination of benefits to me!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hufn View Post
    From WM6 what I'd really like is the html email
    YES YES YES. me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Well, having removed the bloatware, the only benefit I can see is that you don't see it in your program files.

So far I've been able to strip out a lot of files. The problem comes when trying to add them in, the phone always bricks when using roms with added files. Need to try and figure out why...

Can anyone point me to the 750 rom files?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Well, having removed the bloatware, the only benefit I can see is that you don't see it in your program files.

So far I've been able to strip out a lot of files. The problem comes when trying to add them in, the phone always bricks when using roms with added files. Need to try and figure out why...

Can anyone point me to the 750 rom files?
    Sure... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=1032520

they are in parts I believe.
    Is it that modifying the \windows directory is NOT the same an an extended rom?

Also I think the AKU version is 3.5 and not 3.3, but how to patch it is very secret by the people at xda developers, they seems to be making donation money off those updates instead.

There is a month ago thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...highlight=cdma that talks about gSM rom on a CDMA phone?... but I have not cooked roms before, even on 700p/755p. hope it helps
    Last edited by kocoman; 05/02/2008 at 02:42 PM.
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Well, here's where I'm at.

I've flashed my phone probably a couple dozen times. Never a problem with it. (Or at least not once I figured out how to do it... )

Anyway, the problem I'm running into is adding the files. I can strip files easy enough, and use that ROM. Add in a file....pfffft! Image breaks and either won't load WM at all or won't boot past the WM flash screen.

I can upload a somewhat stripped rom, nothing super fancy just basically the bloatware gone. It'll work, and you can flash to your hearts content (insert standard disclaimers here, not responsible for your broken phone, blah blah blah).

Anyone interested in giving it a shot?
    i noticed that my thread at ppcgeeks was being discussed here; thought I'd join this site and see how the response was going...

for those of you who are interested, here is a hint:

look into editing initflashfiles.dat and the *.hv files (do your research to find the editing tools that work best for you, notepad won't cut it). this will allow you to put things in folders and start menu (at first boot after the flash) and will allow for the registry entries needed for threaded sms and other apps that have been mentioned. if you have questions about editing these files, search xda-developers.

it is better to add or remove files from the raw imgfs data if you do not dump the contents using viewimgfs (just use addfile, etc); this helps prevent errors and 'breaking' of the rom.

you might want to post custom roms in a new thread to help build momentum for those who are interested.
    Last edited by waffles_was_taken; 05/03/2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added info about adding files
    I am willing to give it a shot on my end... Let's start posting these ROMS as waffles mentioned.
    Is omitting "firmware.bin" really enough to allow this to work properly on Verizon?
    Quote Originally Posted by waffles_was_taken View Post
    for those of you who are interested, here is a hint:

look into editing initflashfiles.dat and the *.hv files (do your research to find the editing tools that work best for you, notepad won't cut it). this will allow you to put things in folders and start menu (at first boot after the flash) and will allow for the registry entries needed for threaded sms and other apps that have been mentioned. if you have questions about editing these files, search xda-developers.
    Well I see the *.hv files, but no initflashfiles.dat anywhere.

There is a nearly 600 meg .dsm file however.... (034e7cf6-8a37-40ad-85bd-6851b921866a.dsm)

Quote Originally Posted by waffles_was_taken View Post
    it is better to add or remove files from the raw imgfs data if you do not dump the contents using viewimgfs (just use addfile, etc); this helps prevent errors and 'breaking' of the rom.
    Addfile is kinda buggy. Sometimes it act like it added a file, but doesn't actually. Other times I'll add it, and it adds it twice (if you use delfile after adding you see it get removed 2-3 times). Not sure if its a problem with the program, or with the way the rom is.

viewimgfs throws errors on two files on one of the systems I use. Doesn't on the other. Not sure why, so haven't trusted it.

I can add files (seemingly) just fine, either through dumping the rom and modifying it directly or via addfiles. But any time I add a file, it bricks the phone.

Removing files works just fine though.

I'll post a new thread with a 'clean' rom in it for those who want to play with it in a bit.
    Found this while digging around, figured someone else might find it useful.

Found at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=375525

Instead of EMEditor, you can use any text editor. Except Word. Every time you use Word to edit a simple file, another kitten dies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    this is how to edit default.hv user.hv
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 go to your dump folder and find default.hv user.hv

2 once found drag default.hv user.hv to your tool folder put in default.hv user.hv editer

3 click Disassemble.bat it will make 2 files hkcu.reg hklm.reg

4 open EmEditor and drag hklm.reg and save as UTF-16LE

5 drag hkcu.reg and save as UTF-16LE

6 close EmEditor

7 now drag hklm.reg to Notepad2.exe and edit as you like

8 now drag hkcu.reg to Notepad2.exe and edit as you like

10 click Reassemble.bat

11 if you get a error there is something wrong with hklm.reg or hkcu.reg find the error and fix it

12 once complete youll find default.hv user.hv in the dump folder in your rom tools

13 drag default.hv user.hv back to C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Dump
    You need rgucomp to disassemble the default.hv and user.hv files.

You can get it at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...5&d=1133312834

The commands are:

To disassemble:
    rgucomp.exe -o default.hv -nologo > hklm.txt
    rgucomp.exe -o user.hv -nologo > hkcu.txt

You can also find it in a tool package at: http://buzzdev.net/file.php?26,file=118 (http://buzzdev.net/read.php?26,27196,27296)

There's a dissassemble.bat and reassemble.bat, you can see how it works there.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 05/03/2008 at 04:59 PM.
    ebag, thanks for this release, i've been using it now for 2 days on my verizon service, no problems yet at all.

props
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Well, just wanted to let you know that I've ported WM6.1 to the Treo 700wx. Build 20273. So stay posted for updates.
    Last edited by lennysh; 08/16/2008 at 11:29 PM.
    If I have helped you in any way, and you wish to Donate, you can click here!

Chat Rooms:
    PPCGeeks: Java or IRC Client
    XDA-Devs: Java or IRC Client
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123