Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Kocoman, have you done any research on debricking? How'd you get setup for the USB debricking on the 700p?

I'd be curious to talk to you about that. You can find my contact info in my profile. I have access to AIM, e-mail, or GTalk at work (ebagola [at] gmail <dot> com)
    No progress there for me (since I did not receive any donated palm), but there is another

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=160427

It might give partial answer..
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    I may have just debricked my phone.

1. Formatted SD card to Fat32.
    2. Download and drop the Sprint 700wx SD Updater 1.15 update onto the card (keeping the same directory structure).
    3. Take battery out.
    4. Hold up on the volume.
    5. Put battery in.
    6. Phone asks if you want to update the rom.
    7. Hit the up arrow.
    8. Cross fingers.

The rom update is going now. I'll give feedback as to if it works. If it does...then it means you can pretty much do an update and should be able to revert to "stock" without too much issue. (Insert standard disclaimers here)

Incidentally holding the side button (below volume control) seems to show something odd. Not sure what it means (some sort of rom/bootloader version number?).

Assuming this works we're still limited to editing the /windows/ directory, but we should be able to replace somewhere between 3 and 6 megs worth of files.

/me edits

Success!

Now that I know I can get back to a "safe" point at any time, I'll play around more with different roms tommorrow. Out of the /windows/ directory (remember with this method we can only add/remove files directly in the /windows directory) does anyone have any files in particular they'd like to be removed?
    Last edited by Ebag333; 05/01/2008 at 03:23 AM.
    What is interesting is that you might have a method to remove the bloatware... like On Demand, Sprint Store, etc. Wonder if we can directly place the Threaded Text Msging files into this? Also, what other WM6 goodies can be placed into the windows directory? I think that might require some reading on XDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    What is interesting is that you might have a method to remove the bloatware... like On Demand, Sprint Store, etc. Wonder if we can directly place the Threaded Text Msging files into this? Also, what other WM6 goodies can be placed into the windows directory? I think that might require some reading on XDA.
    What could be very cool is a bare-bone ROM for both Sprint and VZW to be made, and then we can either add apps ourselves, or just to have the phone trimmed down on all the extras!!! (Basically, a starting point for us too chicken (yes I went there) to risk deleting the wrong files, of just not up to the challenge of the programming part!!)
    There's lots of stuff I'd like on my rom, WM6 threaded is just one of those.

Unfortuantly because we can only change the /windows/ directory, and not any other dirs or subdirs we're limited to (from what I can see) about a max of 6 megs that we can remove. That number isn't hard and fast, it could be higher, it could be lower. Maybe someone should start a thread..."if you had 6 megs to use on the ROM, what would you add?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    There's lots of stuff I'd like on my rom, WM6 threaded is just one of those.

Unfortuantly because we can only change the /windows/ directory, and not any other dirs or subdirs we're limited to (from what I can see) about a max of 6 megs that we can remove. That number isn't hard and fast, it could be higher, it could be lower. Maybe someone should start a thread..."if you had 6 megs to use on the ROM, what would you add?"
    Well....we could do that here, and maybe a combination will strike a programers' fancy and we will get it!!! I would be happy with the 6 meg trimmed ROM!! I could use just a bit more elbow room on my device, and I don't risk trying in on my own!!! Plus, anything you add, if there is an update/grade down the line, I think you would be stuck!!!

But.......If I had 6 meg, I would add A_C's trilogy (from XDA) and MobileShell!! (if that goes over 6, just A_C's stuff LOL)
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    But.......If I had 6 meg, I would add A_C's trilogy (from XDA) and MobileShell!! (if that goes over 6, just A_C's stuff LOL)
    Linkies?

I've got my rom trimmed by about 2,899 KB (working).
    Last edited by Ebag333; 05/01/2008 at 01:38 PM.
    Hmm, dunno why you'd want those as part of a rom.

Anyway, I'll come up with a bare-bones ROM, and you can add those if you wish, but I personally don't care for 'em.

So far just over 4 megs of stripped files. I've also started downloading some WM6 roms to take a look and see what we can port over. Obviously we (probably) won't want to port everything over, but there are some nice features (such as the threaded SMS).
    Agreed Ebag, those look like non-rom proggies that serve no purpose for the masses. I think a core strip down with Threaded-Text Messaging is most beneficial. Maybe, some of the sound and graphic files from WM6, but even then, those aren't exactly necessary.
    Well...I am not sure how much of an impact they would have in a ROM (now you see why I am not attempting this LOL), I was just thinking of my favorite apps at the time. I use PocketCM for SMS, and I really don't know what WM6 offers. The biggest lure of a custom ROM would be the extra memory!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Well...I am not sure how much of an impact they would have in a ROM (now you see why I am not attempting this LOL), I was just thinking of my favorite apps at the time. I use PocketCM for SMS, and I really don't know what WM6 offers. The biggest lure of a custom ROM would be the extra memory!!!
    The PALM threaded text messaging is pretty much the one that can be placed in ROM (which is where the files were removed from on the 750v). At anyrate, custom roms are nice, but I think removing the Sprint crap is important...

Download Agent
    Get Good
    Get On Demand
    Pocket MSN is crap too
    Software Store

Are just the few you can see within the Programs menu that should be removed (and their associated files).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    The PALM threaded text messaging is pretty much the one that can be placed in ROM (which is where the files were removed from on the 750v). At anyrate, custom roms are nice, but I think removing the Sprint crap is important...

Download Agent
    Get Good
    Get On Demand
    Pocket MSN is crap too
    Software Store

Are just the few you can see within the Programs menu that should be removed (and their associated files).
    OK....makes sense, but how would the new Sprint ROM compare to my current VZW ROM memory-wise?
    Not sure how this would work, was there a Verizon SD card updater? I think that is what is important here... having a method to flash the device.
    There is no VZW SD updater that I know of. I am going by the OP in the PPCGeeks site:

"note that this works on verizon or sprint (or any other carrier)"

"insert the SD into the 700wx. now...depending on the original carrier of your device, you may get an error saying that this device is not supported for this update, do not worry about this error, just click ok and browse to the storage card, open the folder '2577' and then to 'scenarios' run 'ROMUpdate_HR2' then select 'Test ROM Update' from here, the phone will check the SD card and then start to copy the rom to the device (it will say download bl & os and will have a progress bar) it takes about 10 minutes to write, then the phone will reboot and had reset."

According to this, it should work for VZW using the Sprint ROM (tweaked a bit of course).
    As I don't have a Verizon phone, I have no idea how it'd work.

I think you guys don't quite understand the way a ROM works though (or at least there is some confusion). If you strip down a ROM, and don't fill it back up, you don't get any more memory out of the deal.

So there's no point in having a "stripped" ROM that you haven't replaced with other programs, except that people could then build their own by adding files.

Hmm...I found some .rgu files which appear to be registery files. Wonder if I can tap into those to include some reg edits by default....
    OK....I didn't know that Ebag333, thank you. I guess I would have to learn what good ROM apps are then, and see what happens. I am still very interested in learning, and seeing what happens here!!
    I hope someone can get xda-developers to open up a 700wx section... it is very confusing where to post. (here or ppcgeeks)

WM6 is too difficult I think. why don't you guys first write up a tutorial with pictures for

1) debricking
    2) updating to latest WM5 AUK 3.3?

unless WM6 is just 'visually' different like xp vs vista
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    I hope someone can get xda-developers to open up a 700wx section... it is very confusing where to post. (here or ppcgeeks)
    I'm going to keep posting here myself. I personally don't care for PPCGeeks colors/layout.

Also, xda-dev's don't really do much with CDMA.

Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    2) updating to latest WM5 AUK 3.3?
    Point me to where those files are located, and I can probably do it.
    From WM6 what I'd really like is the html email
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast