Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    As the Treo 500 was designed to work with Windows Mobile 6.0, what are the chances of getting an upgrade to 6.1? For what I read, WM Standard (non-touchscreen) edition benefits most from the incremental upgrade anyhow.

I've not seem much information on hacking and ROM swapping with the 500, probably because it's not available in the US.
    I don't think Microsoft and the various manufacturers and network operators are planning to roll out 6.1 devices until later this year. Software updates, I remember reading, would probably come a bit later. If Palm's policy towards the 750 is anything to go by I'm sure we will see an update for the 500. I wouldn't wait for it though as it looks like its gonna be a while. As for hacking you are completely right, there is next to nothing on the modaco and xda-developers boards for the 500.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I would really be looking forward for a 6.1 upgrade. However somehow I don't think that Palm will go through the trouble for what it their low-end-treo. The 500 is their stepchild. Not a lot of community support either.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I think you need to look to Asus for an update as they designed and manufactured that device.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    I think you need to look to Asus for an update as they designed and manufactured that device.
    I don't think there is an asus-analoge phone. The M530W seems similar it has wifi though and a look under the back cover shows that the layout internally is different from the 500

So I don't think the asus roms are going to work on the 500.

Maybe somebody knows something different?
    Going on precedent, I still think Palm are the people to look at for an update. Considering how they dealt with the 750. I would assume it would be a similar situation for the 500. On a broader scale no manufacturer appears to be in any rush to release 6.1 updates. Instead they all appear to be readying new devices. Even HTC, the daddy of WinMo devices, isn't releasing anything for their products. I wouldn't hold my breath. By the time anything gets released no-one will be fussed and it will be received as nothing more than what it is, a simple point-update.
    Please make a ROM of windows 6.1 that's compatible with the 500.

Or if anyone knows if there's a ROM out there for the Motorola Q or something that would also work for the 500 please share

thanks!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hmm.. i search the net about palm 500v, but hardly see anything about it... not even in xdadeveloper forum.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    The Treo 500 is a European GSM device, and is hardly seen in the US. Also, it seems tricky to hack, hence the lack of information.
    There's a WM 6.1 ROM out for the HTC Dash. So can anyone who's in the know out there make this compatible for the 500?

I want 6.1!
    I know the thread is over a year old but checkout this thread at xda-developers.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=544721&page=9

I upgraded my device over a week ago and it runs just BEEAAAUUUTIFULLL
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user