1.    #1  
    I got a treo 750 on Rogers with a data plan.

I've been noticing that the battery dies quickly within a day so i turned off 3G by going into Settings->Phone->Services-> Band Selection and changing the network type to GSM.

This should only affect my speed if i used the unit to surf the internet correct?

I noticed my exchange emails and gmail items still come through.

And since the phone had it on for the last couple of days, would it have been using data if i was not surfing?

Also i notice when i go into my wireless manager it shows my Bluetooth as on and the Telephone as Internet? Should it say that or just on?

Thanks for any help.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The battery should not drain so quickly. Do you have the email application set to check frequently?

The data network type will affect only data use, not phone use. But this includes email, so yes, you are using data.

Do you use Bluetooth? If not, turn it off. I don't know what you mean by "Telephone as Internet".
    One day is about all you're going to get from the stock 1200mah battery if you're running 3G with moderate data and voice usage. I put mine on the charger every night.

If you leave it forced to GPRS both data and voice should still work fine, you just won't get high speed access.

As holmes4 said, if you're getting email, you're using data.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlerner View Post
    One day is about all you're going to get from the stock 1200mah battery if you're running 3G with moderate data and voice usage. I put mine on the charger every night.

If you leave it forced to GPRS both data and voice should still work fine, you just won't get high speed access.

As holmes4 said, if you're getting email, you're using data.
    Yep. I have my network and band selection set to "auto" which means that I'm on "3G' about 90 percent of the time. I get about 50 to 70 email a day (except Sat and Sun) via my company's Exchange server, recieve about 15 text msgs a day and I talk on my phone for about an hour each day using my bluetooth headset. I have to recharge the battery every night before I go to bed but I am using the stock 1200mah battery.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  5.    #5  
    My gmail is set to every 30 min , and my other one is connected to a exchange server.

As for the telephone , when i go into Wireless Manager Bluetooth and Phone are listed.

I use a bluetooth headset once and a while so it's set to on, and below that where it shows Phone , unlike the blue tooth where it says on , it says internet.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    The battery should not drain so quickly. Do you have the email application set to check frequently?

The data network type will affect only data use, not phone use. But this includes email, so yes, you are using data.

Do you use Bluetooth? If not, turn it off. I don't know what you mean by "Telephone as Internet".
  6. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slimmswitch View Post
    As for the telephone , when i go into Wireless Manager Bluetooth and Phone are listed.

I use a bluetooth headset once and a while so it's set to on, and below that where it shows Phone , unlike the blue tooth where it says on , it says internet.
    Mine says AT&T when it is connected to data and ON when it is not connected, so I presuming your showing Internet is normal.
    Here's some more food for thought...

You're gmail acct may actually be using more power than the exchange acct. Think about it. Set to check every 30 minutes means it's going to power up the radio for a data connection 48 times a day, in addition to the Exchange syncs. (I have mine set to check yahoo every 2 hours.)

Since exchange only talks when a new email arrives, or when it needs to refresh the link or sync, it could potentially be using less juice, depending on your email load.

If you're REALLY concerned about power usage, and don't absolutely need your exchange email in realtime, you can play with the schedule settings in Activesync. You can set behavior for peak and non-peak times to check mail as items arrive or at preset intervals. You can also adjust what constitutes a "peak time". The default is Mon-Fri from 8am-6pm.

I don't sweat it as my email slows down dramatically on off-peak times anyway, but for some it may not.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    voice quality is noticeably better on UMTS/HSDPA then on EDGE.. and no speaker buzz
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."