Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The only other device I covet besides the 800w is the HP Ipaq 910. It was announced with pictures in Sept. '07, and it still has not been released.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but could the OS be holding both of these devices up?
    Could be... your guess is just about as good as any other armchair analyst on this forum.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Sprint and MS bith announced which devices will be upgraded to WM 6.1 and which devices will launch with WM 6.1 at CTIA 2 weeks ago.

The Sprint Treo 800w *will* launch with WM 6.1 so yes, part of the hold up for Palm was putting that on (listen to this week's podcast on wmexperts for a discussion).

HP's problems have to do with suppliers (their OEMs) and production delays.

-mal

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Sprint and MS bith announced which devices will be upgraded to WM 6.1 and which devices will launch with WM 6.1 at CTIA 2 weeks ago.

The Sprint Treo 800w *will* launch with WM 6.1 so yes, part of the hold up for Palm was putting that on (listen to this week's podcast on wmexperts for a discussion).

HP's problems have to do with suppliers (their OEMs) and production delays.

-mal
    What's that based on exactly? I seriously doubt Palm is holding back the 800 cuz for 2 years cuz they really wanna get 6.1 out.
    The holdup for palm started with the firing of their WIFI team and ends with keeping a bad CEO in place. Period. Got nothing to do with Sprint/VZ or Microsoft.

You must mean something else as that suggestion/theory or whatever is a none starter
    Last edited by gadgetfreaky; 04/14/2008 at 12:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    What's that based on exactly? I seriously doubt Palm is holding back the 800 cuz for 2 years cuz they really wanna get 6.1 out.
    The holdup for palm started with the firing of their WIFI team and ends with keeping a bad CEO in place. Period. Got nothing to do with Sprint/VZ or Microsoft.

You must mean something else as that suggestion/theory or whatever is a none starter
    I didn't mean to suggest that they held it up for 2 years to put wm 6.1 on (that doesn't make sense)--rather it has been additionally delayed due to them adding WM 6.1 which is a wise decision since if they want a competitive device for enterprise, that verison of the OS is needed.

But it definitely has 6.1 on it--so presumably that took extra development time (at BGR, they had a WM 6.1 Moto Q9 back in early December--which tells you something about how long 6.1 has been in the works for).

From Microsoft regarding Wm 6.1 updates and new devices:
    Partners from around the globe are committed to updating or expanding their portfolios to Windows Mobile 6.1 beginning in the second quarter of 2008, demonstrating the strong industry demand for software that delivers one phone for all aspects of a personís life.

The following new phones and updates were announced today:

Sprint: A new Palm Treo and updates for the Mogul by HTC, Touch by HTC, MOTO Q 9c, Samsung ACE
    (press release)
    A wave of Windows Mobile 6.1 phones and operator networks supporting Mobile Device Manager is expected to begin in the second quarter of 2008 from Alltel Wireless, ASUS, AT&T, HP, HTC Corp., i-mate, Intermec Inc., Motorola, O2, Orange, Palm Inc., Pantech, Samsung, Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications, Sprint, Tata Teleservices Ltd., TELUS, Toshiba and Verizon Wireless.
    From Sprint:
    In addition, all of Sprint's new Windows Mobile smartphones launching in the second half of 2008 will offer Windows Mobile 6.1 software including a new Palm Treo launching later this year. Additional details will be announced upon commercial availability.
    The OP asked:
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but could the OS be holding both of these devices up?
    At least for Palm, the answer is yes: WM 6.1 has added a delay to the release date. Palm could have presumably released the device much earlier with WM 6.0 but for whatever reason went for 6.1. Without judging that decision on their part, that is the current situation.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/14/2008 at 01:43 PM.

At least for Palm, the answer is yes: WM 6.1 has added a delay to the release date. Palm could have presumably released the device much earlier with WM 6.0 but for whatever reason went for 6.1. Without judging that decision on their part, that is the current situation.
    To be fair (in a way), it's possible that there may be other issues which delay the Treo 800W, such that any delays due to WM 6.1 aren't in the critical path. I've no idea (gosh, no one tells me anything! ), but it's a possibility you're welcome to consider.

Of course, no one's shipped WM 6.1, so go ahead and form your own conclusions about the likelihoods of these possibilities.

Ah, my armchair's comfy, and my paper shredder makes a really good ottoman. On second thought... don't try that at home, kids.
    Who's flying this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    To be fair (in a way), it's possible that there may be other issues which delay the Treo 800W, such that any delays due to WM 6.1 aren't in the critical path. I've no idea (gosh, no one tells me anything! ), but it's a possibility you're welcome to consider.

Of course, no one's shipped WM 6.1, so go ahead and form your own conclusions about the likelihoods of these possibilities.

Ah, my armchair's comfy, and my paper shredder makes a really good ottoman. On second thought... don't try that at home, kids.
    Right, it will be interesting to see in relation to other companies how fast Palm gets the 800w out with 6.1--but by the sounds of it (July?) it at least sounds on target.

There is no current information that any WM 6.1 device or upgrade is imminent from any company; in fact Sprint has been the only carrier to say mention time-frames like "the summer of 2008" and "second half of 2008" for WM 6.1.

From some feedback I have received (via Vyruz Reaper), Sprint had Palm add some type of software to the device which did cause instability issues. I don't know the nature of that software (MMS? Sprint Store?) but that is one other "additional" speed bump for this device.

Right, it will be interesting to see in relation to other companies how fast Palm gets the 800w out with 6.1--but by the sounds of it (July?) it at least sounds on target.

There is no current information that any WM 6.1 device or upgrade is imminent from any company; in fact Sprint has been the only carrier to say mention time-frames like "the summer of 2008" and "second half of 2008" for WM 6.1.

From some feedback I have received (via Vyruz Reaper), Sprint had Palm add some type of software to the device which did cause instability issues. I don't know the nature of that software (MMS? Sprint Store?) but that is one other "additional" speed bump for this device.
    This is just another case of you posting ideas that have no basis in reality and positing them as inside info.
    This is just another case of you posting ideas that have no basis in reality and positing them as inside info.
    1. So ignore it
    2. And take it up with Vyruz Reaper

Moving on...

OK, then, Document this:

I'm not saying that those things aren't true, but I bet you can't actually document how either of those things are the factors that have made the Treo 800w launch so long after the last generation of WM Treos.

Please prove it to me. You don't need to prove it to Mal or anyone else as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. Sorry Mal, I know you'd probably rather ignore this. I just gotta know.
    Who's flying this thing?
    OK, then, Document this:

I'm not saying that those things aren't true, but I bet you can't actually document how either of those things are the factors that have made the Treo 800w launch so long after the last generation of WM Treos.

Please prove it to me. You don't need to prove it to Mal or anyone else as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. Sorry Mal, I know you'd probably rather ignore this. I just gotta know.
    Nope, fine with me and it's a good point.

I was wondering the same thing as the "Palm fired their wifi team" meme was never fully fleshed out (Was it one or many? Was that the Garnet, Foleo or WM wifi team--surely they are not the same?)

And the whole story has never been vetted/confirmed by Palm or anyone, just dun dun dun..."industry sources"
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/14/2008 at 03:19 PM.

12.    #12  
    I did mean ADDITIONAL DELAYS, sorry I wasn't clear.

I don't think the device has been on hold for two years waiting for 6.1.
    1. So ignore it
    2. And take it up with Vyruz Reaper

Moving on...
    yeah, but hey, my source also told me its gonna launch with 6.0 so who knows???
    Side/note/track question... the lack of leaked photos or in the wild shots?

Do we think this is due to EP being in control of the ship and having a firmer grip of security and designs (as well as beta testing) OR is this because they are so far from that portion of the process that there is a lack of those tidbits?

I hope for the former but fear its the latter... SILLY SEASON indeed.

And I don't want the argument that the announcement of the 800w will kill sales of the 700wx. It's a two year old device, that business argument does NOT hold up at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Side/note/track question... the lack of leaked photos or in the wild shots?

Do we think this is due to EP being in control of the ship and having a firmer grip of security and designs (as well as beta testing) OR is this because they are so far from that portion of the process that there is a lack of those tidbits?

I hope for the former but fear its the latter... SILLY SEASON indeed.

And I don't want the argument that the announcement of the 800w will kill sales of the 700wx. It's a two year old device, that business argument does NOT hold up at this point.
    I think it's tight security.

There have been plenty of reports from people who have seen "tester" versions on both carriers and I'm confident that it is in testing--Colligan only weeks ago said summer/late summer for them to refresh their WM Treo line (meaning both GSM and CDMA). I think it takes on average about 3 months for carrier testing.

Also, there is this: as soon as someone here or elsewhere posts "real" information they get..ahem...silenced quickly.

That "leaked" Sprint map with the 800w? That whole thread at SU was deleted and PIC got a letter from Sprint to remove). A few posters here either stopped posting or altered their posts after getting snagged. BGR pulled down the Vodafone/Druker stuff as well.

I won't go into details, but Dieter knows some funny stories about what Palm will do to track down leakers and confront them (even I've had Palm call me regarding leaked images and origins).*

Lets just say if they get your home address...expect a personal visit. And I'm not referring to Merlyn3D either

* I should mention that TC or WMExperts does not assist in tracking down people for Palm or anyone
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/15/2008 at 02:12 PM.

I think it's tight security.

There have been plenty of reports from people who have seen "tester" versions on both carriers and I'm confident that it is in testing--Colligan only weeks ago said summer/late summer for them to refresh their WM Treo line (meaning both GSM and CDMA). I think it takes on average about 3 months for carrier testing.

Also, there is this: as soon as someone here or elsewhere posts "real" information they get..ahem...silenced quickly.

That "leaked" Sprint map with the 800w? That whole thread at SU was deleted and PIC got a letter from Sprint to remove). A few posters here either stopped posting or altered their posts after getting snagged. BGR pulled down the Vodafone/Druker stuff as well.

I won't go into details, but Dieter knows some funny stories about what Palm will do to track down leakers and confront them (even I've had Palm call me regarding leaked images and origins).

Lets just say if they get your home address...expect a visit. And I'm not referring to Merlyn3D either
    Damn! i remember Merlyn3D!! hahah, he lived in the bay, i actually got to meet him in san jose. Damn u just brought up some memories...

Yeah, if you guys notice, EVERY 800w thread has been deleted on SU, and no one can post a new thread on it. If someone is going to great efforts to silence somthing like this, there is something cooking
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    If someone is going to great efforts to silence somthing like this, there is something cooking
    Soylent Green?
    Who's flying this thing?
    Damn! i remember Merlyn3D!! hahah, he lived in the bay, i actually got to meet him in san jose. Damn u just brought up some memories...
    It was very exciting times! I dunno if you remember the IRC chat room that Shadowmite hosted--they were trying to dump the rom and first shots (even with the tester # branded) were given out...ahh..that was fun.

I think Merlyn is still a bit bitter as he never was reimbursed by Palm after being very cooperative with them on the matter.

Yeah, if you guys notice, EVERY 800w thread has been deleted on SU, and no one can post a new thread on it. If someone is going to great efforts to silence somthing like this, there is something cooking
    Part of it is this: if a website shares a copyrighted name e.g. "Palm" "Sprint" "Treo", those companies have more sway over leaked copyrighted content & info ;-) Sometimes they flex that muscle, other times they don't.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/15/2008 at 02:23 PM.

Soylent Green?
    is brought to you by Soylent red and Soylent yellow, high energy vegetable concentrates, and new, delicious, Soylent green. The miracle food of high-energy plankton gathered from the oceans of the world.
    Wasn't the premise of the movie Soylent Green . . . . . . . that those special and highly desired green food disks in a future time were processed at a plant that was using. . . . . .hmmm. .. . . .human remains?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast