Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I really think M$ deserves some of the blame here. If they would stop updating their damn OS every 6 months maybe we could get some phones released on time. Think about it...how often would Dell be able to offer updated hardware if a major update to Vista came out every 6 months. And we're not talking Service Packs, we're talking major updates.

That being said, it would have been much better just to release this phone with WM6 and update it later. That way the hardware isn't obsolete. Yes I know it's a royal PITA and expensive to update phones already in the workforce for both the carrier, manufacturer, and customer IT depts but it's not like they won't have to update WM6.1 with bug fixes and such. Just release the phone dammit!
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblerooski View Post
    I really think M$ deserves some of the blame here. If they would stop updating their damn OS every 6 months maybe we could get some phones released on time.
    Assuming you aren't being sarcastic, I don't think Microsoft deserves blame here, at least not in the context you described it above. I'm all for Microsoft updating WM as often as they feel they need to. Palm and Sprint are free to choose whether or not they want to wait for the updated OS or not, I don't think Microsoft is forcing them to include 6.1

I
    Think about it...how often would Dell be able to offer updated hardware if a major update to Vista came out every 6 months. And we're not talking Service Packs, we're talking major updates.
    Without switching to a different OS, how much more major of a Vista update can you get than a Service Pack? I don't recall Dell having any issues offering updated hardware when the release of Vista was looming. I see the point you are trying to make though but I think you are overlooking the real problem. The issue is not with how often updates are issued, its how those updates are delivered. If the carriers and/or hardware manufacturers would utilize the Windows Update feature found in WM6 (though that's probably easier said than done), then they wouldn't have to be so concerned with shipping the latest OS version onto the device because they could simply update it with Windows Update. But because updates are issued as they are through ROM updates that require extensive time and testing, shipping the device with the latest OS becomes more of an issue. Microsoft and their updates are not the problem here. Palm and Sprint were free to release the device with WM6 but they made a decision to wait for 6.1, that's not Microsoft's fault. MS is just supporting their OS by regularly updating it.
    Last edited by Marty1781; 04/21/2008 at 02:07 AM.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    I really think M$ deserves some of the blame here. If they would stop updating their damn OS every 6 months maybe we could get some phones released on time. Think about it...how often would Dell be able to offer updated hardware if a major update to Vista came out every 6 months. And we're not talking Service Packs, we're talking major updates.

wow...i really hope you were drunk or high when you came up with that.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    No no...hear me out. I understand that M$ is free to update their OS as often as they want but something is going on. Think about it...why would device manufacturers (Palm & HTC, most notably) push a device through only to hold it up at the last minute for a major OS update, retesting, etc. It's almost as if the manufacturers have no clue as to MS's development schedule. This resulted in phones like the i760 and Mogul being pushed back just to accommodate WM6 thus resulting in mediocre WM6 phones that would have been great WM5 phones. I mean, it's not like MS is drastically exceeding it's schedule so why would the manufacturer's be saddled with outdated hardware?

Is WM6.1 so much better than WM6 that we would all wait an additional 6 mos to 1 year and put up with outdated hardware just to get it? I'd rather have the hardware on time and a slightly outdated OS than the other way around. This is just sad and pathetic. The bottom line is yes, MS can do what it wants but the manufacturer's are screwing the pooch here. The coordination is abominable.

By the way...Naveen...do you drive a silver Accord V6 with personalized plates? Just curious...
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    No no...hear me out. I understand that M$ is free to update their OS as often as they want but something is going on. Think about it...why would device manufacturers (Palm & HTC, most notably) push a device through only to hold it up at the last minute for a major OS update, retesting, etc. It's almost as if the manufacturers have no clue as to MS's development schedule. This resulted in phones like the i760 and Mogul being pushed back just to accommodate WM6 thus resulting in mediocre WM6 phones that would have been great WM5 phones. I mean, it's not like MS is drastically exceeding it's schedule so why would the manufacturer's be saddled with outdated hardware?

Is WM6.1 so much better than WM6 that we would all wait an additional 6 mos to 1 year and put up with outdated hardware just to get it? I'd rather have the hardware on time and a slightly outdated OS than the other way around. This is just sad and pathetic. The bottom line is yes, MS can do what it wants but the manufacturer's are screwing the pooch here. The coordination is abominable.

By the way...Naveen...do you drive a silver Accord V6 with personalized plates? Just curious...

Just about every launch I've seen since the late 80s have been like that... no matter if computers or windows cell phones. Apple does a great job, I hear people say. Well, they own both the hardware and the software... kinda hard to get it wrong. lol

But I think there will always be a delay of hardware when launching new products... you don't snap your fingers and new hardware is shipped from china. Could you count how many companies involved in the launch of a new smartphone??? All small and large companies???

I do get your point though, it seems there would be some further testing before launching products... like those crappy computers they were shipping with vista last year... remember, 512 mb ram? I remember... 64 mb shared graphics... it was terrible. The entire process should be smoother.

Anyway, MS does need to get more involved. Although, in MS's defense, I know that resellers do what they want, for the most part.

But MS coming out with new releases every 6 months to a year is a good thing. With MS though, they can't win. There is never an optimal time to release an update/upgrade... someone will complain. But the 6.1 update was a needed update from what I can tell. I'm glad they pulled the trigger instead of waiting.
    Last edited by theog; 04/21/2008 at 10:00 PM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Although the MS 6.1 update is what seems to be the gating item here, I'm sure there were other issues that came up along the development path that pushed the date out. This probably pushed it out some, but I would be suprised if they decided to wait 6 months just for 6.1. Hopefully Palm/Sprint decided not to rush this to market and thoroughly tested it so it will be a solid, stable device when it is released.

Also, putting out an update for a phone is a much bigger deal than putting out an update to a computer because of the limited amount of memory on the phone. You can just put out service packs for computers because they have 80 gig hardrives. The memory on our phones is valuable real estate so it requires a rom update which is much more likely to make it a paperweight if somebody screws it up. There is a lot more risk to having people update their own phones, than waiting a few months and shipping it with the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    funny, there are many devices coming out in the next couple of months that will have 6.1 running on them. odd, maybe those companies are using a different version of wm os than the one which was issued to palm. also, the os, even if it is a beta version, is running pretty stable. i wonder how a person who does not even work for a large company can get 6.1 to run stable but palm in your eyes is still working out the kinks.

you said that i am supposedly in the minority in my opinion, and this is one of the few sites you surf, how many people share your opinion and how many share my opinion??? are you working for palm? being paid by them? or are you blind to the fact palm keeps on handing us products that are inferior to the competition. i just dont believe how you talk in these strange riddles about palm when the facts are out there that palm is getting weaker by the day. you did not comment on the growing market share of htc, apple, eten, and others that came after palm and are now dancing around palm.
    your statement that i go to clubs and talk about my roms is completely stupid! where did that come from? i think you were talking about yourself. lastly, if the centro is selling so well, why did palm lose money last quarter? a record amount if i remember correctly.
    Malesta telling you that you are in the minority is ridiculous. Palm is getting weaker by the day and they have lost leadership in a category they actually created. It's sad to see.

The false rumors and bad information posted by Malatesta or however you spell it --really do damage this site. I get most of my information now from elsewhere as the posts are really just pointless to even try and respond to. It just drags you into a baseless argument with a person taking a completely baseless opinion that is not based on reality. It's tiresome and greatly devalues what used to be a decent discussion board.

Saying that 6.1 is causing even a further delay in the 800 is also ridiculous. How many times have people launched a device with an older version of WM then upgraded it a few months later. You think Palm is going to blow their quarter and delay the device even further when they could just do what others have done many times before? Of course not. It's silly to even debate unless you have some quirk of 6.1 which makes it so that prior devices can't be upgraded to it. Which of course is not true.

As for you wondering if he is some sort of plant from some company- Palm MS or someone else. I tried thinking of that angle many months ago. I don't think he is a schill (spelling?) I just think he is someone who likes to debate inane positions. He does have a big MS bent and a pro palm and Sprint bias though so it is possible.

BTW there is nothign wrong with running theories by people. But crazy theories, made up sources or just plain weird statements and portraying them as fact do nobody any good and don't further anyone's understanding of what's happening with Palm/Treo or anything else.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    There are a lot of factors blocking the 800w from arriving as soon as most of us want it. It's probably being made in China which is having all sorts of problems right now, the dollar dip has probably brought the cost up and also increased the cost of shipping. add in Microsoft's delay, Sprint's requirements. My guess is they got in a small sample to play with and that's why they're beta testing. Somepoint this summer the cargo ship will arrive from China with enough to actually distribute, assuming the factory hasn't started making another company's phone. Palm probably doesn't even have an exact arrival date yet.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123