1.    #1  
    I paired treo with my vista running laptop with builtin bluetooth. When I try to send a file to my treo, I get a message on laptop screen saying the remote device did not respond, so file transfer failed. I dont know what exactly I am not doing right. I also tried to pair up my treo with laptop under PAN network, and laptop did not recognize treo as PAN enabled device.. Doesnt treo 750 have PAN bluetooth profile on it???
    So all that happens is this--- I try to do remote transfer, and when I choose treo and enter passkey on laptop, I get a message on treo asking a device is trying to connect. If I say no, it cancels the whole process right there and if I click yes, then it asks me passkey, takes me to a screen giving ActiveSync option, which I deselect and click finish. then it adds my laptop as one paired device in the list, but again file transfer never even start and I get the message of device not responding on laptop screen....
    Any ideas??
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    The Treo doesn't transfer files over BT like your regular phone. Under XP, everything is done with ActiveSync. Under Vista, you'll have to use WMDC. Either should let you browse the files on your device, and transfer back and forth to your PC.

So, to do this with BT, you have to set your device to use ActiveSync over BT.

On the PC side, go into your BT settings and make sure that there is a COM port added and enabled as a BT serial service. Make note of the number assigned (like COM4, etc).

I'm not a Vista user, so I can't tell you the exact steps for WMDC, but it can't be that different from ActiveSync. Basically, you need to go there and enable ActiveSync connections from the COM port BT uses.

Then on your device, pair up with your PC over BT. When you set up that pairing, be sure to select "Activesync" as one of the services you can access with this relationship.

That should be it for setup. To start the sync over BT, open ActiveSync on your device and hit Menu>Connect_via_Bluetooth. It should connect and sync which will then allow you to use WMDC or ActiveSync on the PC side to browse and transfer files.

As for BT PAN, yes the Treo supports this, but not for what you thought. It's for Internet Sharing. Basically, you open Internet Sharing on your phone and set it to use BT for connection. Then on your PC you tell it to connect to a BT PAN. Voila! This allows you to use your Treo's data connection to surf the web from your PC.

Alternately, in Internet Sharing you can select USB while plugged into your PC. The PC will automatically see the Treo as a USB network device and your online in a flash. This has the advantage of keeping the Treo charged via USB while you surf since 3G is a power hog.

Hope this helps.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    Can you advise me where can I find the Internet Sharing? I am using Treo 750 WM6 Asia Pacific Rom (2.27) Thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlerner View Post
    The Treo doesn't transfer files over BT like your regular phone. Under XP, everything is done with ActiveSync. Under Vista, you'll have to use WMDC. Either should let you browse the files on your device, and transfer back and forth to your PC.

So, to do this with BT, you have to set your device to use ActiveSync over BT.
    Thanks fastlerner for explaining in detail.
    One more question, i already use BT ActiveSync on treo to sync with my XP ruiing desktop. can i keep two paired up devices in treo for purpose of activesync??? else how should i make BT activesync work with 2 different pc..orrr its not possible???
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I don't use BT sync, but you can pair the Treo with many different PCs and it should work.

I too was frustrated with the inability to "send files by Bluetooth" the way I did with my 650. I'm sure it's possible, somehow, but I've given up on it for now.
    GFONG, you must be on WM6. Look in Start>Programs>Internet Sharing.

prabhg, you can set a relationship with up to 2 PCs. However, you can connect with as many as you like. When connecting to a PC you don't want a permanent relationship with, just click "cancel" when activesync prompts to set up the relationship on the PC. You'll still be able to click on the "explore" button and drag and drop to and from your phone.

holmes4, so do this on the 750, you have to "beam" the files. I know, it seems like that should be for infrared. But "beam" covers all file sending including bluetooth. Select to beam the file and it will autodiscover devices in range, both IR and BT. Click the one you want and send away. (Make sure the other device is discoverable.)

To receive, make sure you've checked "receive all incoming beams" in the beaming options, and that your BT is on and you're discoverable.

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I typically want to transfer files to the 750. If I do a Send to..Bluetooth on the PC, it tells me that there's no corresponding service on the device.
    BT file transfer between devices (phone to phone) is done with beaming.

BT file transfer between device and PC is accomplished with ActiveSync. You can set up BT activesync for file transfer only. When you connect and activesync pops up on the PC asking to set up a relationship, just click cancel. Then you can use the ActiveSync file browser to drag & drop to and from your device with no relationship needed.

Straight up BT file transfer without activesync (like you would do with most plain phones) does not fly. I don't think the Treo supports the file transfer service used in this scenario. Remember, even with BT activesync, it's connecting to a BT com port, not a BT file transfer service.

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I was able to BT files from Windows to my 650. The 750 doesn't support the file transfer service, as you note. Seems odd. In my case, using ActiveSync for this is usually ok, but sometimes I want to send a file where I have not set up ActiveSync (keep in mind that ActiveSync limits the number of PCs you can set up a relationship with.)
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    I was able to BT files from Windows to my 650. The 750 doesn't support the file transfer service, as you note. Seems odd. In my case, using ActiveSync for this is usually ok, but sometimes I want to send a file where I have not set up ActiveSync (keep in mind that ActiveSync limits the number of PCs you can set up a relationship with.)
    That's what I was talking about. When you connect to a new PC the first time, Activesync pops up on the PC and prompts you to set up a relationship. Just click "Cancel" and you can continue to use Activesync WITHOUT a relationship. No "sync" happens, but you can still use the "explore" button in Activesync to copy files back and forth.

I have mulitple PCs at home and work that I connect to in this way for file transfer, but I only sync with 2.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Thanks guy with pipe! You look all learned and stuff, and it seems the pipe is well deserved.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Hm.. my treo (WM6) is fully capable to recieve files from laptop under XP via bluetooth (Send to.., Bluesoleil stack) when option "Recieve all incoming beams" in connections settings is active. To make this procees more flexible I use Smart File Acceptor freeware application, active sync is not needed in both cases.