1.    #1  
    I am in a quandry because I am trying to decide whether to return my Centro and wait for the 800w (I also have a 700wx) or keep it and be happy with its small size form factor. Is anyone else in this boat? If so, what are your thoughts?

Also, I hear so many people sing the praises of this Palm OS (It seems very speedy to me), Can anyone hear discuss advantages to the WM OS?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    ditto actually , but I've got the htc touch, which is amazing

a hard keyboard would be nice, but having a screen hat is not a square is pretty sweet

think I'll just keep it though-I'm totally over that mindset of 'oh man, I need to get the biggest and baddest' even if it's opportune and timely-next upgrade I'll get will probably be winmo 7 I reckon
    The Palm OS is very "lightweight" compared to WM. It needs less power and memory to work. This advantage can give better battery life, but that advantage goes away if you use the radio a lot (phone calls and internet connectivity).

The Palm OS only allows "cooperative" multi-tasking, which actually can be a good thing as WM can end up slowing to a crawl with many apps running if you are not careful about closing (not minimizing) apps you do not need to be open. Most Palm apps "suspend" themselves (freeing up resources) when you open another app, so you go back to exactly where you were. Most Windows app either continue to run in the background (not freeing up resources) or close, (if you make them).

The Palm OS has more available free software, though WM5 has plenty, too.

WM6.1 will be ready for the corporate enterprise - that is, it will support the enterprise in a similar manner to Blackberry as far as security goes. This is a very biog deal, for me at least.

I am a long-time Palm user, but I use WM now because it was what was available at the time from my company. WM6.1 intrigues me, though, due to the possibility that my company might actually support it for push e-mail.

Oh, and also Palm is well known for its ease of use - it's very intuitive. It's so much a part of Palm that they even re-designed WM somewhat for easier, more intuitive use.
    Last edited by westronic; 04/06/2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: More info
    westronic has the right mindset here...

To dreddy, are you using this for business or pleasure? The WM Treo line is primarly geared for enterprise and so is more suited for such.

Granted, no one prevents "regular" users from picking one up, but Palm's intent is to sell it mostly for companies. OTOH, if you think you may need or frequently use GPS or Wifi, then an 800w is preferable for obvious reasons.

Having said that and using the Centro and 700wx I'm of course getting the 800w when it comes out Seriously, with Sprint's Ensemble billing you can ESN swap your phones online now, so owning two and switching is quite doable.

For me, each device will have it's pros and cons and at least I can say that the Centro is certainly a nice smarpthone.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Seriously, with Sprint's Ensemble billing you can ESN swap your phones online now, so owning two and switching is quite doable.

BOING!!! I was not aware you could do this...

How convienient is this operation? For example, back a few months I lost my 755 at a ball game and ever since I've wanted to get a small flip phone for my pocket instead of the Treo sidepouch which is easily loosable once I've had a few refreshments. Is it a feasable operation to swap the esn on saturaday morning and back to the Treo on Sunday or when ever I want to ditch the Treo for a flip in the pocket? Do they charge an ESN swap fee??? Or will they send me a "Dear John" letter if I do it too often??? I'll have to check this out....
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    BOING!!! I was not aware you could do this...

How convienient is this operation? For example, back a few months I lost my 755 at a ball game and ever since I've wanted to get a small flip phone for my pocket instead of the Treo sidepouch which is easily loosable once I've had a few refreshments. Is it a feasable operation to swap the esn on saturaday morning and back to the Treo on Sunday or when ever I want to ditch the Treo for a flip in the pocket? Do they charge an ESN swap fee??? Or will they send me a "Dear John" letter if I do it too often??? I'll have to check this out....
    If you are under Ensemble billing, it should be under your preferences (though some report of it 'disappearing' for some reason).

Then the deal is if the phone has been previously activated = no charge. And yeah, you should be able to switch as much as you want, no charges and no limits.

I tried it once--it's virtually instant. You just have to print up the instructions and the temp MSL code to do the change.

ps See how paranoid everyone here is about screen scratches? This is why on the Centro they opted for a non-flush screen device ;-)
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/04/2008 at 04:17 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    i wanted to switch my wife to my old treo 700wx and they told us that it would not be a problem but that it would cause our "update rebate" to restart for another 2 years...NOT worth the trouble in my opinion.
    Cool info! But, yea pastortroy, I'm wondering about the gotchas...I'll dig deeper and see what scoop I can get with my Srint insider friend...
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Did you know how tiny those keyboard are on the Centro? I have to ****** with my fingernails.
    I had the Centro for less than a week before i went back to my 700wx. The Centro was nice, but it was the keyboard and the Blazer app. that killes it for me. I'm waiting on the 800w, but if it dosen't live up to the hype, I may jump over to a BB Curve.

We'll see what happens...
    I had to ditch my 700wx for a Blackberry...
    You waited this long, may as well keep waiting. The 800w is probably what i'm looking for the day to day device. The Centro i'm using is great though. But it's time to dive into the palm wm world as that's the future for me i think.

If the 800w never came out though, i'd basically have to reconsider a lot of things. WM wouldn't be real tolerable to me on a different device. Iphone 2.0 would still be a device that isn't great to do business on. I'd probably hold on to the centro and wait some more.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Can BB or Iphone do remote desktop to your home PC? I need this feature and only WM phone can.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Can BB or Iphone do remote desktop to your home PC? I need this feature and only WM phone can.
    Chong67, there have been windows remote desktop clients available on the Palm OS for years. It's not just a WM thing.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .