Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1.    #1  
    Can someone say why anyone would want an 800w with this new device on the horizon?

    (Without mentioning maybe price and keyboard)?


    Didn't think so.....
  2. #2  
    Well, how about the fact that the Instinct is not a business device...it's a toy. This is the same reason I never considered the iPhone. If it doesn't support Exchange Activesync I'm not interested...and I'm not the only one.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

    Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
  3. #3  
    Is the OS WM or what? What third party apps can I use? I agree it seems like a consumer device and a obvious iPhone knock off (without EAS which also kills it for my pocket). I'll withhold judgement until it and the 800w are on the street, but the 800w seems to be more of a productivity oriented phone...

    It is the kinda of phone I'd love to have in the stable for the weekends if it was easy enough to switch around phones on Sprint like with a SIM card or something. Thataway I wouldn't have to pay for additional lines and have different phone numbers.

    Till then the 800w seems to be the better phone for me.
  4. #4  
    1. well keyboard is one.. And why would I not mention it?
    Keyboard is important..

    2. the Instinct is NOT a smart device.. it is a phone with a touch interface. Therfore no love is coming from me.. (though I am happy to see it as consumers will like it.)

    3. as has already been posted many people need a business class device, not a phone or toy.
  5. #5  
    1. Does it have one handed operation like the Treo? That's something I'd like to know.

    2. Nice battery life/3g speed/browser

    3. What about the user interface...apple is an expert on UIs but I am skeptical Samsung can make one as nice. No keyboard is a big deal if you dont have a good UI.

    4. Interoperability--it may actually work better with other programs on my pc/mac but I am not certain

    Bah--you can't leave out the keyboard. but you are right I'll give it serious consideration.

    Plus -its out. We don't really know what the Treo 800 looks like.
  6. #6  
    Why Treo:

    - Wifi
    - Keyboard
    - Software

    That 3rd point is one of the most important reasons why people buy smartphones.

    I rather enjoy running Skype, Slingbox, my GPS software, games, RSS feeds, etc. all of which makes the "Intinct" just another phone.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Why Treo:

    - Wifi
    - Keyboard
    - Software

    That 3rd point is one of the most important reasons why people buy smartphones.

    I rather enjoy running Skype, Slingbox, my GPS software, games, RSS feeds, etc. all of which makes the "Intinct" just another phone.
    Wifi is pointlless on Sprint. Anyone who has had Wifi knows it's really not that big of a deal for most users (some people who live in rural areas may differ). But it's really not something that's a factor like people thought it would be and sure isn't worth a big battery drain.

    And there is Microsfoft Software on the Palm--that's not a plus I think in a lot of people's book since Microsoft software tends to be very poorly designed. Who knows Samsung may pull out something simpler and nicer.
  8. #8  
    You are kidding right?????!!!!!.
    That's like saying I wondering if I should get a Chevy Tahoe or a Mercedes G55.
    Ahem, there is not comparison.

    Not that its a bad device, its just not in the same league.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    Wifi is pointlless on Sprint. Anyone who has had Wifi knows it's really not that big of a deal for most users (some people who live in rural areas may differ). But it's really not something that's a factor like people thought it would be and sure isn't worth a big battery drain.

    And there is Microsfoft Software on the Palm--that's not a plus I think in a lot of people's book since Microsoft software tends to be very poorly designed. Who knows Samsung may pull out something simpler and nicer.
    I have to disagree with this. I have Sprint and I'll freely admit that I don't use wifi as much as I thought I would but that doesn't mean I don't find wifi an important feature. I've been to several places/hotels that don't have EVDO but do have wifi and it definitely comes in handy. Its simply a nice backup option to have. And sure, wifi is a big battery drain but that's not a reason not to include it in the device, you can just turn it off and use it only when you need it.

    I'm also going to make an educated guess here and say that the OS Samsung is placing on that phone is not an open one, thus the possibility of 3rd party applications is non-existant. Sure, its possible the OS will be so great it won't need 3rd party apps but I highly doubt that. The great thing about Windows Mobile is that it isn't closed off to developers, so they can write programs for it, programs which ultimately extend the functionality of the OS and the device. Even Apple has seen the light - the need for third party apps. I'm sorry but as a power user, no way will I ever consider a closed OS type of device and that is the reason why, in my mind, the Samsung Instinct isn't even in the same class as the Treo 800w (or any current WM device) because you can't extend its capabilities with 3rd party software.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    I have to disagree with this. I have Sprint and I'll freely admit that I don't use wifi as much as I thought I would but that doesn't mean I don't find wifi an important feature. I've been to several places/hotels that don't have EVDO but do have wifi and it definitely comes in handy. Its simply a nice backup option to have. And sure, wifi is a big battery drain but that's not a reason not to include it in the device, you can just turn it off and use it only when you need it.

    I'm also going to make an educated guess here and say that the OS Samsung is placing on that phone is not an open one, thus the possibility of 3rd party applications is non-existant. Sure, its possible the OS will be so great it won't need 3rd party apps but I highly doubt that. The great thing about Windows Mobile is that it isn't closed off to developers, so they can write programs for it, programs which ultimately extend the functionality of the OS and the device. Even Apple has seen the light - the need for third party apps. I'm sorry but as a power user, no way will I ever consider a closed OS type of device and that is the reason why, in my mind, the Samsung Instinct isn't even in the same class as the Treo 800w (or any current WM device) because you can't extend its capabilities with 3rd party software.
    I've never had a problem getting data on sprint unless im in a rural area.

    Wi-Fi a nice to have feature-- but it really isn't one that make me want one device over another. I think the reason Palm got off track on the 800 is because of Wifi-they fired the whole wifi team...it really wasn't worth it. they should have just launched a treo 800 without the wifi and they would have been able to hold on to mindshare in the space.

    If the samsung device was out now, I'd buy it-wifi would be a 10% factor at most---come July if there is no sign of the Treo 800 still I'd go with the Samsung. and ill pretty much take any software over msft since their software tends to be problematic.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    I've never had a problem getting data on sprint unless im in a rural area.

    Wi-Fi a nice to have feature-- but it really isn't one that make me want one device over another. I think the reason Palm got off track on the 800 is because of Wifi-they fired the whole wifi team...it really wasn't worth it. they should have just launched a treo 800 without the wifi and they would have been able to hold on to mindshare in the space.

    If the samsung device was out now, I'd buy it-wifi would be a 10% factor at most---come July if there is no sign of the Treo 800 still I'd go with the Samsung. and ill pretty much take any software over msft since their software tends to be problematic.
    Most of the time, I also have no trouble getting EVDO on Sprint but like I mentioned in my previous post, the times that there is no EVDO signal,wifi is a nice backup to have. Just because you may not use a feature that often doesn't mean its not important.

    I can definitely understand your point why you think wifi is not that important, especially in your case. However, I think you need to realize that just because you don't have a use for wifi, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other people out there who do have a use for it. Wifi is quickly becoming a standard feature on most WM professional devices and trust me, if there wasn't a significant demand out there for such a feature as wifi, handset manufacturers wouldn't be spending the extra money to put it in.

    As far MS software goes, I'm not going to get into a debate with you about whether its problematic or not because I really don't care. It is what it is. My simple point is that the WM OS allows for the addition of third party software that extends the capabilities and customization of the device (regardless if its buggy or not). Just like I would never buy a computer where I couldn't install other programs, I will never buy a phone that limits me to only the applications that are preinstalled on it. Maybe you don't need to install programs on your phone and so the Samsung may be just the device for you and likely others. That's great! For many people, however, we need that capability (among other WM features) and thus why a device like the Samsung is simply not an option.

    Finally, I don't doubt that wifi and the WM OS aren't important you. My main issue with your original post, however, was that at least to me, you make it sound like these features, based on your experience, are basciaclly pointless for most users. I am simply trying to point out that for a significant portion of people out there, that is simply not the case and I've tried to illustrate some of the reasons why. If I have misinterpreted your post, I apologize.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
  12. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #12  
    If it doesnt have Window Mobile on it, forget it.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    Most of the time, I also have no trouble getting EVDO on Sprint but like I mentioned in my previous post, the times that there is no EVDO signal,wifi is a nice backup to have. Just because you may not use a feature that often doesn't mean its not important.

    I can definitely understand your point why you think wifi is not that important, especially in your case. However, I think you need to realize that just because you don't have a use for wifi, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other people out there who do have a use for it. Wifi is quickly becoming a standard feature on most WM professional devices and trust me, if there wasn't a significant demand out there for such a feature as wifi, handset manufacturers wouldn't be spending the extra money to put it in.

    As far MS software goes, I'm not going to get into a debate with you about whether its problematic or not because I really don't care. It is what it is. My simple point is that the WM OS allows for the addition of third party software that extends the capabilities and customization of the device (regardless if its buggy or not). Just like I would never buy a computer where I couldn't install other programs, I will never buy a phone that limits me to only the applications that are preinstalled on it. Maybe you don't need to install programs on your phone and so the Samsung may be just the device for you and likely others. That's great! For many people, however, we need that capability (among other WM features) and thus why a device like the Samsung is simply not an option.

    Finally, I don't doubt that wifi and the WM OS aren't important you. My main issue with your original post, however, was that at least to me, you make it sound like these features, based on your experience, are basciaclly pointless for most users. I am simply trying to point out that for a significant portion of people out there, that is simply not the case and I've tried to illustrate some of the reasons why. If I have misinterpreted your post, I apologize.
    no that's not my point--
    it's more I thought also that wifi would be important to me when i bought my mogul its really not as relevant for sprint users who have cheap data packages and if there is wifi somewhere there is probably sprint coverage. is it important to some people--sure --but most Sprint users who have actually tried it out and seen how duplicative it is--no.

    on OS I didn't say it wasn't important, I just don't like it personally. and generally most microsoft software I view very negatively. i'd rather have apple or even old palm os on it then ms. other than msft excel I don't really like anything that msft does.
    Last edited by gadgetfreaky; 04/02/2008 at 09:40 PM.
  14. #14  
    As far as 3rd party apps It said that since the phone was Java based it should beable to run 3rd party apps that are java based.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    no that's not my point--
    it's more I thought also that wifi would be important to me when i bought my mogul its really not as relevant for sprint users who have cheap data packages and if there is wifi somewhere there is probably sprint coverage. is it important to some people--sure --but most Sprint users who have actually tried it out and seen how duplicative it is--no.
    Well I really don't know how you can make such generalized statements about such a large group of Sprint users and base it primarily on just your own experience. You've made it perfectly clear that you don't really care if wifi is present or not and that's fine. But just try to realize that your views on wifi and WM don't necesarily represent most Sprint smartphone users. Unless you've done some sort of survey of a large numeber of Sprint users, drawing the kind of conclusions you have about a large group of people just isn't logical. Again, if there wasn't a significant consumer demand for such a feature, I doubt the carriers would include the feature on their handsets - a feature which, btw, has the potential to hurt the carrier's revenue no less. They aren't going to include something like that if there isn't consumer demand and since wifi is there, there must be a large portion of customers who want wifi on their phones (and that's regardless of how often they use it or not). Sorry but I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree here.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfos22 View Post
    As far as 3rd party apps It said that since the phone was Java based it should beable to run 3rd party apps that are java based.
    Maybe it will be able to run java-based apps but other than Opera Mini, I really don't know of that many other compelling java apps. Being able to run them is one thing, getting software developers on board to write them is another. I highly doubt the Instinct is going to stimulate software developers to write apps the way WM or the iPhone has and if there are no apps, what difference does it make if the phone can run them or not. Unless the Instinct is going to be able to do things like work with the Slingbox, let me install my GPS software of choice, watch ripped DVDs, sync with an Exchange server, and customize the interface just to my liking with third party apps, I am going to have a tough time believing the Instinct is even in the same league as any current WM device. The Instinct looks like a solid phone but I think its silly to even try to compare it to any current WM device, its not even close in terms of what one of them can do versus the other.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
  17. #17  
    MARTY1781. You are right you really can not compare the Instinct to a Treo they are in different leagues for sure. I'm a Treo owner and love it. I hope that Sprint will include things like: slingbox, sync, GPS choice, etc;etc; with the Instinct just to make Palm step it's game up. Cause as far as we know the 800w is still up in the air as to what it will come with.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    Well I really don't know how you can make such generalized statements about such a large group of Sprint users and base it primarily on just your own experience. You've made it perfectly clear that you don't really care if wifi is present or not and that's fine. But just try to realize that your views on wifi and WM don't necesarily represent most Sprint smartphone users. Unless you've done some sort of survey of a large numeber of Sprint users, drawing the kind of conclusions you have about a large group of people just isn't logical. Again, if there wasn't a significant consumer demand for such a feature, I doubt the carriers would include the feature on their handsets - a feature which, btw, has the potential to hurt the carrier's revenue no less. They aren't going to include something like that if there isn't consumer demand and since wifi is there, there must be a large portion of customers who want wifi on their phones (and that's regardless of how often they use it or not). Sorry but I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree here.
    I think we just disagree. You don't always need a survey --sometimes you can go based on common sense or just by using it. I think it was an easy mistake for Palm to make --as I thought Wifi was importantly originally. But guess what, when I tried it on Sprint I realized it was really not useful given that if there was WiFI there pretty much was 3g there anyway. It's different on other networks that don't have 3g as ubiquitious. I also think your statement is wrong that you always need to survey users to find out what's right...I think they in practice some things become very obvious. Again, i thought it was going to be very important to me, i was very surprised to find out I was wrong....a survey isn't really needed --just common sense in some cases, especially this one. For people who stay within Sprint's footprint for 99% of their usage which really most of Sprint users--its not an issue.

    If you wanted to make a larger argument that not all carriers are like Sprint therefore Palm should have kept on with Wifi given their 3g layouts are totally different than that's a different argument. Altho at this point people are rolling out 3g so fast and they don't have WiFi now yet anyway.

    But yes we are going to have to disagree and if you ever see a formal survery let us know.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post
    Can someone say why anyone would want an 800w with this new device on the horizon?

    (Without mentioning maybe price and keyboard)?


    Didn't think so.....
    Well I can think of one reason. you have to subscribe to their everything plan at 100 bucks a month to get this phone.
    A lot of people are not going to want to do that. The whole point of sticking with Sprint is its so much cheaper then the others...Looks like Sprint is trying to copy the Iphone without the Mac OS which makes it so good.
  20. #20  
    I agree with gadgetfreaky, I think Wifi is nice but not a deal breaker for me. If you live an an urban area with good EVDO coverage you would probably not need wifi.

    Now, if you're a student or employee that is spends a majority of your time on a school or corporate campus with extensive wifi coverage than I think it may be useful. Even so, if you have EVDO the speed gain of wifi is not worth the battery drain IMO.

    That being said I'd still rather have it than not. But I would not sacrifice a svelter form factor to gain wifi.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

    Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions