Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I am a newbie to the smartphone world and have owned my Sprint Treo 700wx for almost a month. Does anyone recommend a certain brand for memory cards? Also, what is the largest size (gb's) that will work for my phone?
    I have been through a few cards, and any will work, but if you stick with the bigger named (SD, Poloroid...) you should have better longevity. (or you can save $ and shop ebay, keeping a copy of your card data on your PC for when/if you need to replace it)

I think the largest card it supports out of the box is 4 GB.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thank you for the tips!
    No prob, thats what were here for!!!
    I bought a 4GB card at Wal Mart that indicated it was an SDHD and it would not work, so you might avoid anything in that format.
    Not a problem....just install the CAB in this attachment, and all will be good for SDHD cards:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thanks again! I went back and got a 4GB SDHC card after I saw that CAB in the last post.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I have a quick follow up question. I installed the sdhc.CAB and the card seems to be working fine, but WMP keeps randomly popping up and trying to search the card for files. Is it normal for it to want to search that often and if not, how do I disable that?
    I have heard of this happening before, but not on my device (except for when I first insert the card). I would check to make sure you don't have anything running in the background? (WM does not truly close apps, so it is easy to do)

One question about the card....Is it a true SD card, or a nini or micro SD? Sometimes a mini or micro in the full SD converter will cause that message to pop up.

What happens if you let it scan? Does it ask again after a while, or not untill you do a reset or remove the card again?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    This is a total newbie question, but how do I check what's running in the background? I usually hit the "x" on every app, but I am not sure how to check for this.

It is a true SD card. Its a San Disk 4GB SDHC Card. Not a mini or micro.

When I let it scan it does the scan and then adds the music files to the WMP library. As an example: Last night I put the UI Tweaker that you posted on the "Change Colors" discussion on my card. (AWESOME file btw) After I put my card back in, WMP wanted to scan for new files. so I clicked "yes" and it did the scan. I went to bed with the phone on the charge. Then, when I got up this morning WMP had popped up and I was at the scan for files option again. That was the 2nd morning in a row that I woke up to that.
    hit the "number function?" key and OK key at the same time to see the running programs list. you can kill the processes from there too.
    "number function" key being the one you hit to use numbers. I can't remember its' proper name.
    Quote Originally Posted by adbnist View Post
    hit the "number function?" key and OK key at the same time to see the running programs list. you can kill the processes from there too.
    "number function" key being the one you hit to use numbers. I can't remember its' proper name.
    I don't know the name of it either (ALT maybe?) it is the blackened button in the lower left corner. That will show running apps like adbnist mentioned.

Glad you like the UI Tweaker....I almost forgot that one LOL!!!!

I am running out of ideas on this issue though.....good luck!!
    i see this works on the 700wx will this also work on the 700w
    Anything that works on the WX should work on the W....the only difference, and the only thing that would get in the way of a lot of running apps is the memory issue (W has half the memory of the WX). I had a W at first, and all I had on it transfered to the WX flawlessly!!!!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Ahhhh... Thanks again for all the helpful tips. I stopped all programs running in the background and looks like it worked.

[Change of Topic:] Now, I know that there are a zillion software "must haves" posts listed on here, but are there anymore neat utilities like the UI Tweaker that are out there that are possibly forgotten or often overlooked?
    WOW!!!! Now THAT is quite the open-ended question!!! There are more apps out there than you could ever even THINK about using LOL!!!!

Seriously though....what are you looking to do? I am sure you must have a couple ideas or goals in your app searching. How much (if any) are you looking to spend? I am sure we can hook you up with almost any type of app, and most apps have a freeware version hidden somewhere!!!!

So....fire away!!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    HA! Yeah, that was pretty open ended. The funny thing is that sometimes I don't even think about what I really need until I see it! But, here is what I can think of off hand...

I still need a backup and I hear that Sprite or SPB is the way to go. Any other good alternatives?

SPB Mobile Shell looks pretty neat, but I am not sure if I am yet advanced enough to handle it. It would be neat to find an app that lets me crawl before I walk with that!

Are there any good freeware weather programs?

Also, when the 800 comes out will I have to start all over with adding apps and all? Because, I will definitely be getting one!
    LOL....Don't worry....been there, done that!!!!

SPB and Sprite are the two biggest backups at this point, I have heard Resco has a beta out. Sprite is free from Palm, you can get it here:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...kup/index.html

SPB Shell is actually pretty easy to use, just install and go really!!! There are a few apps out there that can so SOME of what Shell can do, but some are either pretty advanced by comparison (Ultimate Launch), or pretty limited by comparison!!

For free weather, I use WeatherPanel...it is one the best out there!!!! Go here and check out the app and skins. (P.S. if you haven't checked out PPCGeeks before.....it is an amazing place to go to!!!!):

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

When the 800 comes out (I am holding out for it as well) I think starting out would be a good thing. The 800 will be WM6 (or more by then LOL) and a lot of apps for WM5 will be outdated by then, or you may hurt the OS with a WM5 backup file.

Hope I helped some!!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Thanks again for all of that and especially the introduction to PPC Geeks. I definitely joined with the same handle and it's amazing how much stuff they have there.

One more question... Every now and then my clock just goes crazy and it becomes three hours fast. I usually soft reset about three or four times and it comes back. Any ideas on what is causing this?

Also, so is there a reliable release date for the 800?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberito View Post
    Thanks again for all of that and especially the introduction to PPC Geeks. I definitely joined with the same handle and it's amazing how much stuff they have there.

One more question... Every now and then my clock just goes crazy and it becomes three hours fast. I usually soft reset about three or four times and it comes back. Any ideas on what is causing this?

Also, so is there a reliable release date for the 800?
    The clock issue may be due to a couple things....the first thing I would check (sorry if this sounds obvious) is to check the PC you sync with and make sure it has the correct time set. I would also check the time zone your W/WX is set to and make sure that is correct as well as the time you set.

A reliable release date for 800??? LOL......this IS Palm we are talking about....I wouldn't believe a release date untill you see it on the shelves, they are famous for pushing back release dates!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast