Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  

Thanks to Vyruz Reaper via SprintUsers.com, we have what appears to be the release chart for upcoming Sprint devices and lo and behold, the Treo 800w is smack on there for a July release (crosses fingers).

Could we at least get a new mock-up already? Yeesh..

Well, looks like our dreams of WM 6.1 have been shattered (sheds tear) but all the other rumored features are still there:

- EvDO Rev A
    - WiFi
    - Autonomous GPS
    - Camera & non-camera versions

So get hop in our contest and get the EXACT date right and you may just win one ;-)

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ru...on_sprint.html
    Our Sprint reps told us June is the launch date for the Treo 800w and that it will have WM 6.1. Maybe June is the business launch month and July is the consumer launch, that's the normal Sprint M.O., launch a new device to business users one month and the next month launch it to the general public.
    Quote Originally Posted by occums_razor View Post
    Our Sprint reps told us June is the launch date for the Treo 800w and that it will have WM 6.1. Maybe June is the business launch month and July is the consumer launch, that's the normal Sprint M.O., launch a new device to business users one month and the next month launch it to the general public.
    It must have been moved up then if that were to be true. I am pretty sure they said on the earnings call it wouldn't be in the 2nd quarter.
    Quote Originally Posted by occums_razor View Post
    Interesting info especially about the June/July tiered launch, which sounds normal for Sprint.

Also glad to hear about 6.1, which makes sense as Colligan said:
    We are also increasing our Windows Mobile efforts targeted at the enterprise. We expect to refresh our Windows Mobile product line before the end of the summer, with exciting new products which will be targeted at business customers. And as Microsoft delivers its latest Exchange-based device management solutions, you will see the combination of our efforts reach a new pitch.
    I will say that we will of course support Microsoft’s latest offerings from an operating system standpoint, which would in theory then support their back-end services in relation to device management, security, and so forth that they are extending right now.
    = MSCMDM 2008 + WM 6.1 (to enable)

Previously, MS & Palm publicly have said their Treo 750 will get a 6.1 upgrade. It would seem odd for them not to launch the 800w without 6.1, especially since financially they have so much riding on the WM mix to boost their margins. Colligan also said :
    And I am working hard with Microsoft right now to make sure that we’re -- as these products come out, we’re ready to aggressively come to market with them and market them effectively to really make an impact on the business.
    Andy Brown :
    When we introduce new Treos this summer...
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/28/2008 at 11:23 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I like the Rev A part. I had the Pantech PX-500 for a while when I was traveling a LOT, and I was blown away as to where I got coverage. Small towns like Baker, California, got an EVDO signal. Rev. 0 I think, although I don't remember the speed test I did there if it was Rev. A.

At any rate, what about GSM/3G/WCDMA?? Are we getting it on AT&T anytime soon, or does Sprint have an exclusive for a while, like Verizon did for 6 months with the Treo 700w a while back?

If not, then will there be a European and/or Asian and/or GSM unlocked version(s) around that time??

Thanks!
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    I like the Rev A part. I had the Pantech PX-500 for a while when I was traveling a LOT, and I was blown away as to where I got coverage. Small towns like Baker, California, got an EVDO signal. Rev. 0 I think, although I don't remember the speed test I did there if it was Rev. A.

At any rate, what about GSM/3G/WCDMA?? Are we getting it on AT&T anytime soon, or does Sprint have an exclusive for a while, like Verizon did for 6 months with the Treo 700w a while back?

If not, then will there be a European and/or Asian and/or GSM unlocked version(s) around that time??

Thanks!
    July 2008/Any Brown's quote above:
    When we introduce new Treos this summer...
    And note from the leaked Vodaphone report, Palm is clearly listed as saying WM 6.1 for July.

No doubt in my mind right now: 800w will have WM 6.1 and you'll have a quadband GSM variant shortly thereafter. AT&T? No idea and no prediction.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WMExperts Articles View Post

Thanks to Vyruz Reaper via SprintUsers.com, we have what appears to be the release chart for upcoming Sprint devices and lo and behold, the Treo 800w is smack on there for a July release (crosses fingers).
    I'd been considering buying a Verizon Touch when its released end of April, but the more I think about it, might as well just hang in there, as I'm not desperate for a Smartphone, and get an 800w when released by Verizon which ought to be 3 months after Sprint gets it. How come Sprint always gets these great phones first??? Verizon does not want to pay the extra moolah to be first? (I guess.....besides, 3 months is only a tiny little blip on the scale of evolution on earth...! ). Having an autonomous GPS as in the 800w will be worthwhile, I think. With the Touch I'd have to get a GPS puck. And with the 800w I wouldn't have to worry about which virtual (soft) keyboard to buy....Touchpal vs. Tengo vs. whatever.
    Roger
    "Autonomous GPS"? Is that a new term?
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    "Autonomous GPS"? Is that a new term?
    It means it does what it wants and if you ask it for directions maybe it'll give you them.

Autonomous GPS here is meant to differentiate between a standalone solution vs. server-assisted aGPS.

So this wont' rely on the network for the GPS signal, it can handle it on it's own i.e. straight satellite based.

The Moto Q9c on Sprint is like this but we should be able to tweak the registry to enable the assistance servers to get the best of both worlds.

Read here for more info.

Cool. Thanks
    BTW, Palm Info Center had to pull the pic b/c Sprint complained.

Also, if you click the my link for "Sprintusers", you'll notice the thread has been deleted ;-)

Guess it's real, lol.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Just when I was about ready to give in and get a Mogul

CLICK HERE

Can I have one?
    Matty
    Is it just me or, why cant Palm come up with something new, I was sure hoping for a much nicer, flasher, newer look that pic (I know its hard to tell from one picture) looks a lot like a 700wx -antenna with a couple of new buttons. YAWN
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    July 2008/Any Brown's quote above:

And note from the leaked Vodaphone report, Palm is clearly listed as saying WM 6.1 for July.

No doubt in my mind right now: 800w will have WM 6.1 and you'll have a quadband GSM variant shortly thereafter. AT&T? No idea and no prediction.
    AWESOME!!! Thanks. My brother and my entire family is on Vodafone, and they are eligible for an upgrade, so I'll use all three of their accounts and get three of them. lol...They don't care, and they like the phones they have.

Does Vodafone lock its phones, by the way, and if so, do they give out the unlock code. They've been Vodafone customers since before it was called Vodafone.

Thanks again!
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Big D5 View Post
    Is it just me or, why cant Palm come up with something new, I was sure hoping for a much nicer, flasher, newer look that pic (I know its hard to tell from one picture) looks a lot like a 700wx -antenna with a couple of new buttons. YAWN
    Hey Big D5 , I sort of understand what you are saying, yet we have to remember that this is a very old "mock up" and in no way can convey what the 800w will actually look like in final form (colors, material, subtle design changes, etc.). It's not an attempt to sell customers on the device, merely a place holder. In fact Palm would much rather you have never seen it as now we are all pre-judging before the actual reveal--it'd be like you judging my prettiness on my avatar ;-)

It is a "square-qwerty" which when you compare to other devices of similar design, really don't differ that much.

The hardware seems solid enough as well for an business device (not a pro-sumer though, which is a different market).

So I guess I would put back the question: While still maintaining the classic "Treo" properties (whatever those are), how would you improve on the design?

For myself, I'm hesitant to judge the design of the device till I at least see live shots and preferably handle it (Centro was ripped for "ugliness", but nearly universally praised once it was released)

But hey, Palm now has TWO former Apple employees both in charge of "product design"...if that doesn't inspire hope, than I don't know what will!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Does Vodafone lock its phones, by the way, and if so, do they give out the unlock code. They've been Vodafone customers since before it was called Vodafone.

Thanks again!
    No idea, but IIRC, unlocking by 3rd party companies is very common and easily accessible, so I would not be too concerned.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/29/2008 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D5 View Post
    It's not just you. If you think about it, they created this category and now are not even a major player in it anymore. The CEO has no experience launching ne products--he's just not comfortable with it.

I think eventually they will get squeezed from both directions from Rimm on the businss side and Apple on the consumer side unless they get a new CEO in there to really shake things up. I hope they do.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    There have been no leaks from Verizon about the 800w, but I'm thinking Verizon might just get the 800w the same time as Sprint. Only argument against that is that very often Sprint gets a 3-month headstart on phones. Whatever. 3 months is just a little blip in the evolutionary scale anyhow..!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoger View Post
    ...3 months is just a little blip in the evolutionary scale anyhow..!!
    I disagree. If you consider the evolutionary cycle is generally 12-18 mos then 3 mos. represents a significant difference. Lately VZW is falling closer to 6-12 mos behind which is almost an entire generation. AT&T will likely get the BB 9000 1-2 mos after VZW gets the Curve! That is just sad.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblerooski View Post
    I disagree. If you consider the evolutionary cycle is generally 12-18 mos then 3 mos. represents a significant difference. Lately VZW is falling closer to 6-12 mos behind which is almost an entire generation. AT&T will likely get the BB 9000 1-2 mos after VZW gets the Curve! That is just sad.
    Well isn't it getting moot at this point. For example can't you just take that dang Sprint Treo and just bring it over to Verizon and have them activate it?
    It's supposed to be moving to an open network ya?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast