Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    We might have to wait until *freaking August* for the Treo 800w to land, but when it does we won't be stuck using that annoying “Athena” connector. Although we knew that Palm was ditching their horrible connector for something else, we'd been hearing various reports on what the bottom connector would be on the Treo 800w -- USB, HTC's wacky mini-USB + Audio, or something that was “like USB but wasn't.”

    Well, we can put that little argument to rest now. Signs point to Palm using micro-USB. What signs? Well, micro-USB is to be the new mobile standard as per the Open Mobile Terminal Platform. Why else? Check this, try a little search for 3291ww and see what pops up: the “Palm 3291ww Vehicle Charger Micro USB.” Could be a mistake or a coincidence, but if so, it's an awfully widespread one. We're going out on a limb and calling this one: Micro USB.

    The fact that accessories for the Treo 800w seem to be out there for purchase many months ahead of the scheduled release of the device itself is perhaps a bit disheartening, though. Dare we suggest that this implies that we're looking at a *delayed* device?

    Goodbye Athena, you were a horrible connector, but at least you were consistent (on Treos) for a few years. Hello Micro USB.

    (p.s. yes, we're completely and totally obsessed, but at least this rumor has more substance to it than a sighting on a Bank's website.)

    Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ru...micro_usb.html
  2. #2  
    oooo....nice one Mr. Bohn...or should I say, Detective Bohn? lol

    I prefer miniUSB but micro ain't bad...at least it's USB "something"
  3. #3  
    I thought of that, the 500v. But as you say, it's miniUSB, not micro.
  4. #4  
    anything is better than the junk we have now for a connection. but if the BB curve comes to VZW first, im outta the treo for sure. first one wins (or loses depending on how ya look at it...lol)
  5. #5  
    I called that way back at the end of January...
    Seriously guys... Every answer about the new Treo is in our forum already...


    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...71#post1404571
    howiecam
    Member

    Join Date: Oct 2004
    Posts: 103

    Default
    I think this is the connector that will be on the next device:
    http://www.molex.com/product/microusb.html

    Although I am referenced in the 4th paragraph, this does seem logical..
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...ile-connector/
  6. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #6  
    I have never seen a Micro USB. I hope its a Mini USB.

    Otherwise I have to buy more cables.
  7. #7  
    You'll have to buy more cables... See the link I posted above for a pic of the connector.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by howiecam View Post
    I called that way back at the end of January...
    Seriously guys... Every answer about the new Treo is in our forum already...


    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...71#post1404571
    sry howie, we can't catch every post on here, we try though

    all i remember was this line from that PIC article:
    The user reports that the 800w employs a new proprietary Palm sync/charge port standard.
    For some reason I had that in my head and then the "no headphone jack" story combined to spawn the HTC thing.

    still, Dieter's find was nice as you can literally buy a micro-USB cable made by Palm today...which is interesting evidence.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    still, Dieter's find was nice as you can literally buy a micro-USB cable made by Palm today...which is interesting evidence.
    Palm makes a micro-USB cable for what? Mini-USB, yes... can't see why they'd make a micro-USB cable yet. Well, one that they'd make available to buy ahead of the launch of a device that uses micro-USB.

    Maybe I looked at the wrong part of their store (very brief look, I'll admit)?
    Who's flying this thing?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    Palm makes a micro-USB cable for what? Mini-USB, yes... can't see why they'd make a micro-USB cable yet. Well, one that they'd make available to buy ahead of the launch of a device that uses micro-USB.

    Maybe I looked at the wrong part of their store (very brief look, I'll admit)?
    The argument goes like this:
    • microUSB is now the default standard for mobile devices
    • Palm publically was not known to have signed on with that
    • Palm branded micro-USB car chargers are listed for sale now, but not in stock

    So basically the idea is that yeah, some of Palm's accessories for the 800w, which unsurprisingly uses microUSB , are on now listed ahead of the actual release.

    Since no current Palm device uses micro and these items are out there, it looks like the 800w was indeed pushed back at the last minute for "reason X".

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The argument goes like this:
    • microUSB is now the default standard for mobile devices
    • Palm publically was not known to have signed on with that
    • Palm branded micro-USB car chargers are listed for sale now, but not in stock
    So basically the idea is that yeah, some of Palm's accessories for the 800w, which unsurprisingly uses microUSB , are on now listed ahead of the actual release.

    Since no current Palm device uses micro and these items are out there, it looks like the 800w was indeed pushed back at the last minute for "reason X".
    Ah... I see. I had only looked at Palm's own store briefly.
    Who's flying this thing?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    all i remember was this line from that PIC article:

    For some reason I had that in my head and then the "no headphone jack" story combined to spawn the HTC thing.

    still, Dieter's find was nice as you can literally buy a micro-USB cable made by Palm today...which is interesting evidence.
    Yeah, at the time I thought it was proprietary as I had not seen that connector before, it wasn't until PIC that I knew about the microUSB, which is exactly what I saw.

    Absolutely Dieter found some great confirmation, nice find.

Posting Permissions