Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Does anyone know the difference between these versions? I recently switched from the AT&T branded to the unbranded 2.23 and I like it a lot. However, I'm experiencing some isolated (and repeatable) connection issues with the isp.cingular access point and to a much lesser extent, random connection hickups with the wap.cingular access point. I have a workaround for the wap option (radio on/off or soft reset) but would obviously prefer no issues. I'm wondering if the 2.27 ROW release would solve the problem.

By the way, the link I used to get to the 2.27 ROW release is:

http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.pal..._SDUpdater.zip

One oddity -- the file size for both the 2.23 and the 2.27 ROMs is exactly the same. I don't know if that is a coincidence or if it indicates the ROMs are identical.

Thanks for all the help in advance.
    Hi,
    I was experiencing connection problems with 2.23 too . My problem was when I enter a building (basement) and if there was no signal, treo had difficulty fo reconnect and get the signal back even if I leave the building and stay in a place where the signal is strong. It kept searching and searching.
    So I then went back to 2.25 ATT ROM. Then I found out about the 2.27 RWE. I just installed it today and will give test it out for a while. I will let you know if the problem is still there or not. But to be honest, I have'nt noticed any difference in terms of the installed applications etc. But the firmware (radio I believe) is different. (It was 1.54.00.00 on 2.23 ROM and it is 1.54.01.00 on the 2.27 ROM.
    Here's the scoop, quoted from the Palm site:

Please note the following update change for customers who have purchased a Treo™ 750 with Windows MobileŽ 6 or have updated their Treo 750 before 23rd January 2008.

An issue has been discovered in a rare circumstance on Treo 750 smartphones using Windows Mobile 6 that can occur if the smartphone is switched OFF and the PIN SIM lock is ON. In this scenario, users who attempt an emergency call may not be heard by the operator and may be disconnected. Once the emergency operator disconnects, the user can re-dial the emergency call number again and speak to the operator. This issue does not occur if the smartphone is ON, or the PIN SIM lock is disabled (the default configuration when Palm ships the product). This revised update includes a fix for the above scenario. Palm recommends that you always ensure the Radio is ON before attempting to make any calls.

This affects version 2.23 and below. So if you think you may have to call 911 while the phone is off AND your pin simlock is on, then you may want to consider it, or you'll have to redial.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Thanks THEARIF and FASTLERNER. I do not believe I will ever be in the freak situation where the 911 problem arises (my phone is almost always on and I do not use a pin lock). But I too have experienced THEARIF's signal reconnection problem with the 2.23 ROM, but not the 2.25 ROM. I think it's unlikely that Palm regressed as they released new ROMs so I would expect the signal to reconnect properly with the 2.27 ROM. For that reason alone I'll flash my phone this weekend.
    Hi folks!,

fastlerner: One question my friend. I see TREO750-2.23-CNG in your posts signature. I have TREO750-1.16-CNG and unbranded device and trying with the update indicates in the first post, I get "this update doesn´t work with this device" or something like that. Finally, my question is What do you do to install THIS update in your phone?, can you please tell me?.

Thank you in advance!!
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    GROJAS:
    The link I put in the original post gets you the SD Update for the 2.27 ROM. You must use the bootlegger method with that version. That entails formatting a miniSD card to FAT32 and copying only the cheeimg.ngh file to it. You then insert the card, make sure you are connected to AC power and press the reset button while holding down the lower button on the left side (more accurately the left edge of the TREO). The ROM is loaded at this point and you just wait for all the items to check off as complete on the display. Once complaetion is indicated you may have to manually perform a hard reset. I suggest doing the hard reset twice.

That's it, the update should be done. Now for a few disclaimers. First, there are far more detailed instructions elsewhere on this site, I gave you the quick and dirty description. Second, almost everyone struggles with finding that lower left button the first time they do this -- it is the one under the the two volume buttons. Third, the bootlegger method works perfectly fine but it will not set the ROM version correctly. It does set the firmware version correctly. This means you will still see your pre-update ROM version even though it is now the 2.27 unbranded ROM. And fourth, I strongly recommend creating a full backup of your data and system files before updating. You won't want to restore that file (unless the update fails and you must go back to your eorioginal ROM).

In my case, I originally installed WM6 using the Desktop Update method and the official AT&T ROM. That method correctly sets the ROM version show I showed it as 2.25-ATT. From there I flashed to the unbranded 2.23 ROM (thanks to links I got from FASTLERNER) and now the 2.27 ROM (the link in my original post). In both cases I used the SD Update method and as a result, my ROM versoin still shows th eTREO as 2.25-ATT. And as a bonus, my backup software let me do a custom restore so I got back my PIM data, my documents folder and emails exactly as they were before I flashed to the 2.27 ROM.

An important caution on backups -- do not restore any system or program files from a backup as that will defeat the update. Also, you stated the ROM was 1.16-ATT on your TREO so that means you are still on WM5. Therefore, you should only try and restore the PIM data.

Good luck. So far, the 2.27 ROM seems to have fixed the isolated connection issues I had with the 2.23 ROM.
    Hey Grojas,
    I think the easiest way to install the 2.27 or 2.23 unbranded rom is to use the actual upgrade installer (Official palm installer) and not the SD method, because with this method you can actually get the rom version updated on your device as well.
    My phone was originally Cingular branded. But now in the about window, it
    says TREO750-2.27-RWE. The way to achieve this is to download the desktop updater. You can get the ROM from XDA-DEVELOPERS forum. Here

From there on follow the instructions below. (from the same thread on xda-developers forum)

Step 1: Find where it extracts it in the TEMP folder.
    This should be in C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Temp for window XP anyways.This is usually the last folder created in temp when you run the updater.

Step 2: Change the payloads.xml file to reflect your software version and extension. and right when it starts flashing. FOR EXAMPLE READ BELOW

VERSION: 1.16 (if you have 2.25ATT) change it to 2.25 and then change the top part from RWE to ATT) then right when you hit continue and it restarts the phone in bootloader mode. change the ATT tag back to RWE and then from then on you can flash RWE from then on. and you will have an unbranded flash

Let me know if this works for you.
    Now where the credit is due. I got these instructions from xda-developers forum by the user post ( qniknam8125)
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    The link to XDA-Developers that THEARIF provided has links to the Desktop and SD versions. In both cases they go back to an official Palm website so you should have no concerns about these downloads. These links are to the English version and there are other languages available (I don't have those links handy but a google search will find them).

I agree with THEARIF that the desktop method is easier and it is nice that the ROM version displays properly. However, some people have had issues with that method (probably compatibility issues related to their particular PCs) and in those cases, the SD method is likely to be the only reliable method to perform the upgrade.

I am happy with the 2.27 ROM. I think it fixed some issues present in the 2.23 version (more than just the 911 fix) and has the benefit of a correct implementation of Internet Connection Sharing. The AT&T bloatware is gone and as a result, there is more free memory and I think it runs faster.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    I need to add that both the 2.23 and the 2.27 versions correctly implement Internet Connection Sharing. It is the official AT&T release (2.25 version) that put hooks into Internet Connection Sharing that would allow AT&T to limit its usage to specific data plans.

Credit for the AT&T information regarding Internet Connection Sharing goes to FASTLERNER.
    Hi folks!!,

jwebb56 and thearif: Thank you very much for your explanation about "The dirty method for upgrade from miniSD" it was very important to me because I checked my procedure and my procedure is good, its the same. I understand very well why my ROM version is the same after upgrade and I´m going to test the "thearif method" and post my results.

Thank you again guys!!!!
    Hi, can I use this rom for my gsm unlocked phone? Thanks!
    As long as it's a Treo750 it should work.

Hi folks!!,

The "thearif method" works!!!!!. Follow this method Its very easy upgrade to any ROM. In fact, now I´ve the 2.27 spanish ROM in my Treo because a these "dirty method"

Thank you again!!!!
    Hi Grojas,
    It is great to hear that it worked.

Although it is very flattering that you call it the "thearif method", I, in no way, contributed to the method to install the upgrades. I've just found it on forums and basically spreading the word.

thearif
    Yup. The unbranded ROM circulating around is basically a copy of all the extracted files in the "temp" directory, with a modified payloads.xml file.

Keep spreadin' the love!

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Fastlerner, are you still on the unbranded 2.23 ROM? If so, what's keeping you from moving to the unbranded 2.27 ROM?
    It's the same thing except for the radio firmware fix. Since I don't use pinlock, don't make calls with the phone turned off, and don't anticipate having to call 911 WHILE pinlock is on AND phone is off, I didn't see much point. In the EXTREMELY unlikely event that this crazy rare scenario presented itself, I guess I would just have to redial.

If I wasn't already on the unbranded ROM, I'd pick 2.27 over 2.23. Give me a bug fix or feature enhancement that actually applies to the way I use my device and I'll upgrade in a heartbeat. It just seemed like much ado about nothing.

Once I start hearing consistently good things about 6.1, and the upgrade procedure is clear, I'll probably make that jump.

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    One oddity I see on both versions of the unbranded ROM with AT&T service is that when you use isp.cingular access point, Internet Explorer will not connect. IE only connects if you use the wap.cingular access point. I'm thinking IE is set up to use a proxy. There was a hack to set the proxy on and off back in the WM5 days and of course the official ROM has a program to do that.

It's not a serious issue to me because I use Opera as my browser. It is affecting my search shortcut and it may be the cause of a couple wierd connection problems in specific programs.

My question is, can I use that old hack on WM6 without corrupting anything?
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Fastlerner, Unless Palm comes out with a WM6.1 release, I think I'll pass on that update. I just do not trust third party ROM cookers. And I seriously doubt if Palm or AT&T are going to make any more investments in the 750.

Now if they come out with a new high end phone with significant benefits, that might entice me.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Got my answer from another thread -- the old hacks do work for WM6 and they solved my isolated connection issues. The link to the thread (post #26 icludes the cab files) is:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=157005&page=2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast