Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    You know, now that Apple has entered the market, what is there really left for Palm to innovate in the smart phone segment. Once the treo 800 is out, what is the cool technology they can intergrate in. It will have GPS, Wifi, hopeully more battery and good battery life. What next? I think once these technologies are integrated in, it will all be battles around power, memory, form factor speed, and maybe interface. Perhaps some OS battles but what else can be done here?
    Are you saying that it's 'game over' just 'cause Apple has entered the market? I figure that Hooligan* and company might be more interested in competing on margins, cost-effectiveness, etc, but if they (or any other company) choose to get ambitious, we could see more interesting products. I mean, who thought that sliders would get any more interesting before the Xperia1 was unveiled?

Heck... maybe someone will come up with a flexible phone... one that could survive being placed in a pocket better than a rigid phone. Or maybe they'll put in a TV output or a picoprojector so you can share presentations or photos with others. Or, perhaps they'll concentrate on the PIM apps and make them more smoothly and intuitively integrate with multiple calendars.

A little imagination, and a bunch of money, and hopefully we don't end up with something as poorly received as a Foleo.

* I just couldn't resist the urge to call him Hooligan... it popped into my head and, well, I usually frown at name-calling and that sort of thing (but I'm all for constructive criticism), but I was just too amused. Come on... doesn't "Hooligan and Co." sound like it should be some company's name anyway? Ah, well... I offer my admittedly half-hearted apologies to any offended.

[disclaimer: I spent half the time on this post on the above footnote.]

[disclaimer to the disclaimer: I've apparently given up on sounding serious.]
    Who's flying this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    Are you saying that it's 'game over' just 'cause Apple has entered the market? I figure that Hooligan* and company might be more interested in competing on margins, cost-effectiveness, etc, but if they (or any other company) choose to get ambitious, we could see more interesting products. I mean, who thought that sliders would get any more interesting before the Xperia1 was unveiled?

Heck... maybe someone will come up with a flexible phone... one that could survive being placed in a pocket better than a rigid phone. Or maybe they'll put in a TV output or a picoprojector so you can share presentations or photos with others. Or, perhaps they'll concentrate on the PIM apps and make them more smoothly and intuitively integrate with multiple calendars.

A little imagination, and a bunch of money, and hopefully we don't end up with something as poorly received as a Foleo.

* I just couldn't resist the urge to call him Hooligan... it popped into my head and, well, I usually frown at name-calling and that sort of thing (but I'm all for constructive criticism), but I was just too amused. Come on... doesn't "Hooligan and Co." sound like it should be some company's name anyway? Ah, well... I offer my admittedly half-hearted apologies to any offended.

[disclaimer: I spent half the time on this post on the above footnote.]

[disclaimer to the disclaimer: I've apparently given up on sounding serious.]
    Well I'm sort of saying that yeah--mostly because there were about 3-4 major things that needed doing in the cell phone market and Apple broke a lot of that apart with the Iphone. Is there more stuff? yeah. But once GPS, improved screens, higher battery life etc are all out, then the segment is sort of out of really exiting things that I desperately crave. It'll be incremental improvements in things like connectivity, power, applications, memory, etc...some cross platform products that are part phone/PC etc.. That's my guess at least.
    Well I'm sort of saying that yeah--mostly because there were about 3-4 major things that needed doing in the cell phone market and Apple broke a lot of that apart with the Iphone. Is there more stuff? yeah. But once GPS, improved screens, higher battery life etc are all out, then the segment is sort of out of really exiting things that I desperately crave. It'll be incremental improvements in things like connectivity, power, applications, memory, etc...some cross platform products that are part phone/PC etc.. That's my guess at least.
    I think we will see two kinds of improvements (other than things like battery life, and such) into the future:

Form factor (one can only guess, but there will be changes as time goes on).

Integration. Integration with, well, everything! Making the phone ever more capable as a mini-PC (or mini-MAC, if you like). Eventually, we may actually see a device that runs an OS sufficiently robust that all normal browser plug-ins (FLASH, etc., etc.) all function normally on the mobile device. There is a long way to go yet in this space.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Remember the story Ronald Reagan used, about the Director of the Patent Office writing to suggest that we could save money by closing the Patent Office because everything that could be invented - had been...........

This letter was written in the late 1800's..............
    Quote Originally Posted by 180to650 View Post
    Remember the story Ronald Reagan used, about the Director of the Patent Office writing to suggest that we could save money by closing the Patent Office because everything that could be invented - had been...........

This letter was written in the late 1800's..............
    I had not run across that. Nice story. I just have been looking for these innovations for a long time and I myself can't imagine what I will need other than GPS, big screens, VGA etc and GPS in the next couple years.

and i think once this latest crop gets out there, most of the innovations for this space seem incremental. One thing I have been tyring to figure out after reading about all the new devices slated for the summer, specifically the iphone 3g, the blackberry 9000 etc is why is battery power still such an issue. Specifically, how do we have a treo 700/755 with 3g on CDMA carriers but its so hard for apple and blackberry to get battery life up for their devices.
    Don't forget the vast difference in processor speed (624 vs 412) & creen size between the iPhone & a Treo. The iphone's baterry life, even w/o 3g is quite impressive.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Sorry, meant "screen size." stupid "s" button sticks. Gee I wish I had a new Treo to upgrade...
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    ...I myself can't imagine what I will need other than GPS, big screens, VGA etc and GPS in the next couple years.

and i think once this latest crop gets out there, most of the innovations for this space seem incremental.
    I recall thinking very similar thoughts many years ago when I had a Nokia 8290 on Cingular. That phone had <drumroll> an IR port and I subscribed to a per-minute data package that allowed me to put the phone on the table next to my 8-lb. laptop and get on the Internet at some ludicrously slow speed (9600 baud?). I thought, "this little phone is all I will ever need for total connectivity" (leave the Cingular reception / total connectivity jokes aside for a moment). Fast forward to my Treo 700wx with Exchange 2007 integration and it's pretty hard to imagine how I could have thought I was "set" many years ago. I haven't carried a laptop anywhere in about 2 years.
    Well, lookee here... Engadget Mobile, who has turned their background (and the main site's background) magenta in what looks like an attempt to thumb their nose at TMobile, reports that Microsoft has announced Windows Mobile 6.1 officially, beginning this quarter.

Possibly more interesting... the list of carriers' devices, which includes:

Sprint: A new Palm Treo and updates for the Mogul by HTC, Touch by HTC, MOTO Q 9c, Samsung ACE
    Who's flying this thing?
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    Well, lookee here... Engadget Mobile, who has turned their background (and the main site's background) magenta in what looks like an attempt to thumb their nose at TMobile, reports that Microsoft has announced Windows Mobile 6.1 officially, beginning this quarter.

Possibly more interesting... the list of carriers' devices, which includes:

Sprint: A new Palm Treo and updates for the Mogul by HTC, Touch by HTC, MOTO Q 9c, Samsung ACE
    Yea I noticed that too interesting.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Nice catch guys on the 6.1/Treo thing...trying to get dieter to confirm.

gearlog has the same, with a larger quote:
    Sprint "also plans to launch a Palm Treo with Windows Mobile 6.1 software later this year."

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Nice catch guys on the 6.1/Treo thing...trying to get dieter to confirm.

gearlog has the same, with a larger quote:

Mal... check MS press release (near the bottom)
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...-01WM61PR.mspx
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    Mal... check MS press release (near the bottom)
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...-01WM61PR.mspx
    Ah! Great

Well, it's official as that is an announcement of "new phones" and ones getting the upgrade.

Treo 800w = WM 6.1

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Ah! Great

Well, it's official as that is an announcement of "new phones" and ones getting the upgrade.

Treo 800w = WM 6.1
    I don't use this word very often as I find it stupid, but WOOOOT!
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Official press release regarding WM 6.1 from Sprint also mentions a new Treo. Just more of the same stuff that's been reported by Engadget, I thought it was interesting that Sprint specifically mentioned a new Palm device as nothing has been officially announced yet. I'm actually surprised they even acknowledged it lol.

In addition, all of Sprint's new Windows Mobile smartphones launching in the second half of 2008 will offer Windows Mobile 6.1 software, including a new Palm Treo launching later this year. Additional details will be announced upon commercial availability.
    http://newsreleases.sprint.com/phoen...415&highlight=
    I was at a Verizon Corporate store today and they didn't have the 700wx in stock. The employee noted that they were not going to be getting more. One could only think that they are ridding their stock of 700wx to make room for a new model?

Any new word out there regarding Verizon's 800w?
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentaz View Post
    I was at a Verizon Corporate store today and they didn't have the 700wx in stock. The employee noted that they were not going to be getting more. One could only think that they are ridding their stock of 700wx to make room for a new model?

Any new word out there regarding Verizon's 800w?
    They will be getting more in... or dumping palm altogether.

bottom line is that the treo 800w (or whatever it will be called) will not be available until at least Aug '08, no matter what anyone says.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Well if Mossberg is correct....and the new 3g Iphone is coming out in less than 60 days I gotta figure out if I'm bolting from sprint after a decade with them and a good bulk of that with Treos. What to do what to do.
    Well if Mossberg is correct....and the new 3g Iphone is coming out in less than 60 days I gotta figure out if I'm bolting from sprint after a decade with them and a good bulk of that with Treos. What to do what to do.
    I can't leave sprint due to sero... they have me bent over a barrel... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I love Sprint with my SERO. Save me tons of money! ATT suck!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast