Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 139
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    I do, and I'm the one who counts to me. Seriously, though... once you get a bit of distance outside of Boston GSM is much less available compared to CDMA where I need it. That, and while I really did love PalmOS, well... let's just say I didn't feel loved.

    Even Perry seems tempted.
    Follow the happy avatar and watch as the dark side appears to take over...

    Hey... what's that pink thing in the sky?
    lol
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Mal;
    In a nutshell and in your humble opinion, why did we not see a 320x320 WM6 755w sometime in '07?
    Honestly, I have noooo idea. Not even a possible rumor on that one.

    If I had to guess, it would be this:

    Old Palm (pre-Elevation) may have had such a device in the works; New Palm (post-Elevation/restructuring) such a device was nixed by the new team, much like the Foleo and what other "side projects" they had going and which were alluded to in the WSJ article w/Rubenstein.

    Such a move would be plausible to make Palm focus on two core areas:
    • Nova
    • Total revamp of their WM line (wifi, gps, thinner)

    Centro was kept on just b/c it was probably way too late in the development phase (For the record: Palm was ahead of schedule on that release), but even Rubenstein changed the design a bit. A Treo 755w would have been received as "more of the same" from Palm.

    But...I don't think they planned on it taking this long!
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I think that a CDMA 755w would've been a natural follow-up to the rapidly aging 700w/wx. Palm did all of the heavy-lifting, formfactor & innards-wise, for the 700p/w/wx/755p, so you'd think a 755w would've been a no-brainer and a nice WM6 stopgap device until the 800w arrived sometime in '08.
    Yup, totally agree which is why I find it dumbfounding as well. But, if you look at the "original" slated release dates for the 800w (August 2007 on Verizon; Q4 for Sprint) at the point, they were just updating the 750 to WM6 and a 800w would have over-lapped the "755w" by a 2-3 months--too close for a release.

    But, like I said I don't think the 800w was supposed to take this long so now it seems in hindsight that a "755w" would have had a nice 10-12 month run.

    That's why I'm real curious as to what happened with the 800w.

    [Warning: Mal theory alert for those too sensitive]

    My gut tells me this: Redesign + Problems (maybe) + WM 6.1 (Read: "Windows Mobile 6.1 to Arrive April 1st?"

    Palm is aiming the WM Treo line straight at Enterprise and 6.1 has some essential features for such a group. Much like HTC and the Mogul, Palm may have received the "gold" version of WM 6.1 very recently (Sony and Moto already have; Moto had betas since at least Dec 2007...) and had it as an option for the carriers: lets us do WM 6.1 now or "ROM update" later. ROM updating a fleet of 800ws is no joy for IT departments.

    Sprint and Verizon could have done a WM5 Mogul (in fact, see it here with WM5 for Verizon) and had it out 6 months earlier, but they held out for WM6 for somewhat obvious reasons.

    Normally after MS announces a new version of the OS, there's at least a 2-3 month lag between the announcement and a device is actually released with it. So April--> May, June, July, (August) = "late summer".

    That's the only reason I can think of why we so much about the 800w late last year, people testing it, release dates being discussed and then...it was pulled/almost no more info. It's virtually the same pattern as the Mogul.

    Now if the 800w comes out and only has 6.0, I'll eat crow and be very disappointed But if it does have WM 6.1, then you can be 100% certain that was at the very least part of the reason for the delay.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/26/2008 at 02:28 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3. #83  


    well someone over on the sprintusers forums posted this... take it for what its worth
  4. #84  
    Doesn't bring any new information to the table. It's just a poorly put together slide.

    --James
  5. #85  
    Well its a slide that kinda shows how sparse things are for Sprint PDA wise, an area when 1) they used to be the leader and 2) when they were the leader they their company was not hemorrhaging cash. Not a coincidence imo.
    If the 3giphone w/ gps is coming out in june (my guess is we'll know for sure at CTIA) then that's a good alternative for the large majority of treo users who value internet browsing and simple but well executed apps. I am pretty sure I will unless the Treo is out before then and/or visible in the supply channel somewhere. I hate to leave Sprint's cheap prices--- even when I was an employee at a wireless carrier in 96-99 I used Sprint...but man they got no good phones these days. More broadly it appears GSM will win the tech war given the utter lack of phone porn coming out for CDMA.
  6. #86  
    Story is up!
    http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ru...on_sprint.html

    The slide is from 2/18 so is technically not current, but word is there has not been an "updated" slide either.

    Also, since this pre-dates any official acknowledgment* of WM 6.1, there is still a chance it might be on there.

    Confirm/refute anyone?

    * Officially, only the BJII and Treo 750 have been publicly named for WM 6.1, although info on Xperia leaked that it would have 6.1 for it's rumored October release as well as BGR's Moto Q9h with 6.1 as well.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    More broadly it appears GSM will win the tech war given the utter lack of phone porn coming out for CDMA.
    I've got no problem with that as long as coverage for GSM catches up to coverage for CDMA in my area. Until then, I'd say that there's probably a significant part of the New England market (based on the few people I know, but that includes taking into account where they try to use their service) that'll lean towards CDMA... whatever weight that has.
    Who's flying this thing?
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    I've got no problem with that as long as coverage for GSM catches up to coverage for CDMA in my area. Until then, I'd say that there's probably a significant part of the New England market (based on the few people I know, but that includes taking into account where they try to use their service) that'll lean towards CDMA... whatever weight that has.
    I'll kinda go with that, from NYC, to Long Island, Albany, all of CT, Boston and Massachusetts, CDMA is pretty great up here.

    And hey, for $1,500 you can get the HTC Shift on Sprint

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    And hey, for $1,500 you can get the HTC Shift on Sprint
    I'll get the what for $1500? Oh... that's an 'i', not an 'a'.

    Can't be too careful with news from NY these days.
    Who's flying this thing?
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    I'll get the what for $1500? Oh... that's an 'i', not an 'a'.

    Can't be too careful with news from NY these days.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    I've got no problem with that as long as coverage for GSM catches up to coverage for CDMA in my area. Until then, I'd say that there's probably a significant part of the New England market (based on the few people I know, but that includes taking into account where they try to use their service) that'll lean towards CDMA... whatever weight that has.

    ATT should have the best coverage (GSM) because its an older network wth more cell sites on average using GSM..then prolly Verizon altho its a patchwork...then Sprint.......with tmobile the worst.

    tmobile is only the worst cuz its the newest..designed essentially from scratch since the late 90s. the rest are mostly legacy.

    so surprised your area has spotty att coverage.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    ATT should have the best coverage (GSM) because its an older network wth more cell sites on average using GSM..then prolly Verizon altho its a patchwork...then Sprint.......with tmobile the worst.

    tmobile is only the worst cuz its the newest..designed essentially from scratch since the late 90s. the rest are mostly legacy.

    so surprised your area has spotty att coverage.
    At the risk of continuing off-topic for this thread...

    If I stayed close to Boston, it probably wouldn't matter so much. But I've got a long commute away from Boston, I've got friends all over the area, and that's where AT&T falls on its face. I even used to think that if it would reach the highways consistently it would be OK, but then I talked with a colleague who jumped over to AT&T and travels around the same area a lot. He had found that he loses service on the major highways around here.

    I was so very much tempted to jump over to AT&T prior to talking to him. I hadn't heard of AT&T having coverage that matched Verizon's around here, but his experience with his whole family's phones was finally enough detail for me to decide not to even bother trying AT&T.

    Verizon always gave me perfect coverage around here, but I found them to be too expensive (not that AT&T's service is any cheaper, but their phones are and recently I wanted a Tilt), so when I upgraded to a Treo 650 I moved to Sprint. Until this past month, I had thought that Sprint's coverage wasn't quite as good as Verizon's, but then I grabbed my old Sprint Treo 600 (I had 'Verionized' it before, then never got around to selling it) and re-activated it, only to find that the coverage is just fine, but my 650 isn't.

    I don't know many people on T-Mobile around here... and from what I've heard from the people that have used it, I can understand why.

    Verizon, and its predecessor (when I joined) Bell Atlantic Mobile, has been well-known in this area amongst people I know who really needed to be in touch on the road as providing the best coverage.

    But I really do wish GSM coverage was widespread in New England. The greater availability of interesting phones, the common technology with Europe (not that I travel much, but wouldn't it be nice?) and many other parts of the world (yes, I know some countries are primarily CDMA), and the ability to specify a call transfer when the phone itself can't be reached are all my reasons for wishing for greater GSM coverage. I'm really hoping that LTE brings about these kinds of changes, but we'll see how it all goes.
    Who's flying this thing?
  13. #93  
    yeah I guess I should revise my thinking--
    Wherever the carrier had LEC properties it's gonna have the best coverage. So VZ would be best in the east coast given they had all that time to build their network. ATT would be best in the west coast and the south cuz that's where all its Lec properties are.


    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    At the risk of continuing off-topic for this thread...

    If I stayed close to Boston, it probably wouldn't matter so much. But I've got a long commute away from Boston, I've got friends all over the area, and that's where AT&T falls on its face. I even used to think that if it would reach the highways consistently it would be OK, but then I talked with a colleague who jumped over to AT&T and travels around the same area a lot. He had found that he loses service on the major highways around here.

    I was so very much tempted to jump over to AT&T prior to talking to him. I hadn't heard of AT&T having coverage that matched Verizon's around here, but his experience with his whole family's phones was finally enough detail for me to decide not to even bother trying AT&T.

    Verizon always gave me perfect coverage around here, but I found them to be too expensive (not that AT&T's service is any cheaper, but their phones are and recently I wanted a Tilt), so when I upgraded to a Treo 650 I moved to Sprint. Until this past month, I had thought that Sprint's coverage wasn't quite as good as Verizon's, but then I grabbed my old Sprint Treo 600 (I had 'Verionized' it before, then never got around to selling it) and re-activated it, only to find that the coverage is just fine, but my 650 isn't.

    I don't know many people on T-Mobile around here... and from what I've heard from the people that have used it, I can understand why.

    Verizon, and its predecessor (when I joined) Bell Atlantic Mobile, has been well-known in this area amongst people I know who really needed to be in touch on the road as providing the best coverage.

    But I really do wish GSM coverage was widespread in New England. The greater availability of interesting phones, the common technology with Europe (not that I travel much, but wouldn't it be nice?) and many other parts of the world (yes, I know some countries are primarily CDMA), and the ability to specify a call transfer when the phone itself can't be reached are all my reasons for wishing for greater GSM coverage. I'm really hoping that LTE brings about these kinds of changes, but we'll see how it all goes.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    hahha just saw that you recognized me! hahah thats awesome...

    Im gonna dig a littler deeper into the 800w mystery, ill report more next week when i find out some more info
  15. #95  
    Vyruz Reaper, oh I'll be anxiously awaiting for that :-)

    just be careful. ..not worth risking you're job for (and I can alaways be contacted via PM)

    -mal

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Vyruz Reaper, oh I'll be anxiously awaiting for that :-)

    just be careful. ..not worth risking you're job for (and I can alaways be contacted via PM)

    -mal
    Malatesta,

    Can you give us a link to check our dates that we indicate the launch date we think it will be?(say for myself; how do we easily find our last post for our estimated date of launch?

    2nd, off topic, do you think that Apple will release a treo like iphone to compete with Palm and Android. (I guess android will carry several different designs)
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Malatesta,

    Can you give us a link to check our dates that we indicate the launch date we think it will be?(say for myself; how do we easily find our last post for our estimated date of launch?
    lol, no idea on that one, but whatever was your last post in the thread is the one that counts. So if you were to go and post the "correct" date right now and not add any more guesses/posts, that's what would win (assuming no one got it before you).
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    2nd, off topic, do you think that Apple will release a treo like iphone to compete with Palm and Android. (I guess android will carry several different designs)
    It's hard enough cracking Palm's secret circle--Apple is way beyond my capabilities for guessing.

    But seeing as they have had such a success with the current iteration, it would seem silly for them not to consider other options for designs--though adding a keyboard would undercut their earlier arguments for removing it in the first place, so...no front-qwerty, imo.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...so...no front-qwerty, imo.
    I agree. I think we will gradually move away from hardware keyboards (although sliders will become thinner first) as other methods of input become available. Thin, foldable/rollup/?holgraphic? screens will proliferate. There is even mobile software being developed to read lips via the onboard camera and convert to text. Keyboards waste a lot of space that could be devoted to the precious screen (or add thickness in sliders).
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

    Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
  19. DrRoger's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblerooski View Post
    I agree. I think we will gradually move away from hardware keyboards (although sliders will become thinner first) as other methods of input become available........
    And the lack of a hardware keyboard is what leads to a lot of innovation in keyboards, like the Tengo. See tengo.net, winner of pocket pc magazine's award for soft keyboards. They have videos of people doing 75 words a minute. Though with all that repeated tapping, the owner better well have a good screen protector. I've had a Tungsten T3 for some years now, which I use constantly at work. It becomes second nature to push in the spring loaded stylus (which pops it out) when I open the thing. Often I'll use pens which have a stylus at the other end instead. Or a toothpick I just happened to be using....(just kidding!) Touchpal is a good first, but I anticipate more and more finger-tip touch keyboards which won't need a stylus.
    Roger
  20. #100  
    You know, now that Apple has entered the market, what is there really left for Palm to innovate in the smart phone segment. Once the treo 800 is out, what is the cool technology they can intergrate in. It will have GPS, Wifi, hopeully more battery and good battery life. What next? I think once these technologies are integrated in, it will all be battles around power, memory, form factor speed, and maybe interface. Perhaps some OS battles but what else can be done here?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions