Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I would not be surprised if we don't see the 800w until Q4. The chances of Palm "wowing" anyone is pretty slim.
    I would not be surprised if we do not see the 800w until Q4. As for Colligan, he couldn't run a lemonade stand. Do you realize the iPhone has had more updates in 8 months than than the Palm OS has had in the past 6 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStatus View Post
    I'm wanting to see what it's going to look like.. if it's anything similar to the Centro, i'll have to take a pass... I've been debating if I should switch over to the BB Curve when it hits Sprint next month, but I don't like their trackball. I love WM and the touch screen on my 700wx.

Hopefully they have done some design changes that are different from the Centro. Hopefully it will have the flat screen like the Motorola Q9c and I hope a little better designed phone than the one that appeared on Gates screen on his presentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Just let HTC design everything and rebag it a Treo.
    true that!!! palm sucks! here's to hoping that the 800w can compete with my 8525---what happened ed??????? to you and palm
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Glad it's obvious to you because there are no facts on the ground as of today about the delay.

Some Sprint employees, independent of each other on another forum, stated that a few months ago the 800w was listed in Sprint's database and that Sprint's marketing team was looking for a good time for a release date/how to market the device.

Then poof. The 800w info was pulled and all went silent.

Why that is we don't know. It's either
    • The device was close to certification but was pulled
    • The device is being reworked: new feature, new tech, or newer OS

Until the device comes out though, no one knows the reason e.g. is this Palm's choice, Palm's screw up, or carrier change in the order....

There are plenty of reviews and threads in the 700wx forum on this issue and all my BT headset reviews mention experience on the 700wx.
    My simple point was that Palm has been unable to fix it's devices, wheather palm os or windows mobile. The 700P I had was the worst phone I have ever owned and the Hitachhi G1000 was pretty bad.. The 700P crashed all the time (no I did not have it loaded with 3rd party apps.) The Bluetooth did not work reliably with any of the four headsets I tried and when they finally posted a maintenance update, that crashed plus didnot fix any thing on my phone. My 700WX has been much better stability wise (no flakier than any other WM phone) but the Bluetooth is almost as bad as the 700P. I have looked at the numerous reviews of BT headsets, but I can't find one that has a majority ruling that it works well. I have found that with the numorous headsets I have tried that some donot work right a way but a few worked ok for up to a week or so before giving problems.
    When they show me the 700WX can be fixed, I will be more excited about the 800w, and believe me I would like one for the better screen and wifi compared to the 700Wx I have been using for a year.

Sorry for the rant, but I am about to go back to a dumb phone teathered to a HP Ipaq210 with a readable 4" VGA screen.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    My simple point was that Palm has been unable to fix it's devices, wheather palm os or windows mobile. The 700P I had was the worst phone I have ever owned and the Hitachhi G1000 was pretty bad.. The 700P crashed all the time (no I did not have it loaded with 3rd party apps.) The Bluetooth did not work reliably with any of the four headsets I tried and when they finally posted a maintenance update, that crashed plus didnot fix any thing on my phone. My 700WX has been much better stability wise (no flakier than any other WM phone) but the Bluetooth is almost as bad as the 700P. I have looked at the numerous reviews of BT headsets, but I can't find one that has a majority ruling that it works well. I have found that with the numorous headsets I have tried that some donot work right a way but a few worked ok for up to a week or so before giving problems.
    When they show me the 700WX can be fixed, I will be more excited about the 800w, and believe me I would like one for the better screen and wifi compared to the 700Wx I have been using for a year.

Sorry for the rant, but I am about to go back to a dumb phone teathered to a HP Ipaq210 with a readable 4" VGA screen.
    Absolutely agree 100%. Blaming this on Sprint is just ridiculous especially when all the carriers are opening up their networks--even Verizon. I can see a 1-2 month delay because of testing say for a Verizon, but Sprint has no record of holding devices up that long. And now most carriers are letting any device on their network even if it isn't purchased for that specific network thus tested for it.

So conspiracy theories blaming bad management and execution, ultimately the responsibility of Palm's CEO on anyone other than Palm is misplaced and logically unsound. Malesta's conspiracy theories have been going for what seems like a year now and it just simply has nothing to do with Sprint, or Verizon or reality. It's a Palm issue period.

The CEO is not the kind of guy that is comfortable launching new products--he is a better Finance or stay the course guy rather than someone who has any experience launching new products or putting out new devices. Palm needs someone, male or female, from HTC or some other organization that has a track record of putting out new products.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67
    Just let HTC design everything and rebag it a Treo.
    Yikes, I don't know about that. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I think HTC's "design prowess" is highly overrated - especially when it comes to software. (some of their hardware designs are decent) The difference in performance, stability, and usability between my old 6700 and Treo 700wx was astonishing. For UI responsiveness the 700wx/750 is still quicker than most (all?) current WM6 devices. (despite having less ram and a slower proc)

Palm does a great job of smoothing out the roughness in WM, but I don't think HTC really gets it yet.
    Absolutely agree 100%. Blaming this on Sprint is just ridiculous especially when all the carriers are opening up their networks--even Verizon. I can see a 1-2 month delay because of testing say for a Verizon, but Sprint has no record of holding devices up that long.
    The most recent I can think of is...

HTC 6800/Mogul

There are pictures of branded Verizon versions i.e. it was in testing in Dec 2006 (here are some "real" shots from Feb 2007)--it finally launched nearly 12 months later.

Ironically, Verizon had the 800w listed for an "August 2007" launch. Now it's looking like another 12 months--same story, different device.

Sprint said (in their Buzz forums) that they held up the release of their own 6800 to put WM6 on it (guess they forgot it needed more mem though, eh?). Both carriers repeatedly missed and moved up launch windows for that device. They also royally screwed up BT, had not enough memory, did not have Rev A or GPS enabled (GPS is still wonky, btw).
    4) Why was the Mogul not provided with more memory?

The amount of standard memory on the Mogul was consistent with standard memory allocations for devices at the time it was developed. However, the development timeline was extended when the OS was changed from Windows Mobile 5.0 to Windows Mobile 6 and during that time memory standards increased. We understand the demand for additional memory and have started to increase the amount of RAM in newer devices. The Touch by HTC was recently launched and includes 128MB RAM and 256MB ROM.
    So you are very incorrect with the above statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    How about the Nokia N96?

Palm IS behind, and if devices keep coming out now with specs like that above, or close, Palm wont be selling many 800w or what ever it will be called.

My whole beef with Palm, is that they claim they'll have something that will amaze us, but I doubt it will. The N96 for the most part amazes me.

We know it wont be anywhere near something like the above, but it better not be garbage.

Oh yeah, the N96 only weighs like .3g more than the AT&T Centro.
    Here's your issue: You're comparing a N96 to a Treo

Different class of devices, you'll always be dissapointed with Palm. The N96 is a consumer-media fun akin to the iPhone.

Palm WM Treos, have been and always will be for Enterprise, corporations and comapnies running Exchange.

It is not for "prosumers" which is what the N96 is marketed towards. Technically speaking, if you are not a "business person" you should not really be looking towards the Treo 800w.

Should Palm release a "prosumer" device? Sure, but that's a different argument than trying to make the Treo 800w something it's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post
    Again, this isn't a rant.. or an ad... but just my opinion. If you want to ask me anything about the Touch feel free to do so or PM.
    I can summarize you're entire post:

A new WM device is better than an old one.

That'll almost always be the case with technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post
    At least the Centro is around to keep those basic people happy.
    Entertain me for a second. Beside mutlitasking (a somewhat over-rated feature, imo), what exactly does the HTC Touch do that the Palm Centro does not?

Pretend I never used either platform (but prepare for my counter as I'm very proficient in both).
    My simple point was that Palm has been unable to fix it's devices, wheather palm os or windows mobile.
    Sorry to hear you are dissapointed. I enjoy my 700wx (though it is old) and it works well with

And my new Samsung (review coming soon).

I have no problem admitting BT is lacking on the 700wx, but for me it works quite well. It appears they cannot "do" anymore if it's a hardware limitation.

FWIW, the Centro's BT works very well and Palm fixed a lot on that device (compared to the 700p, 755p) so you're above statement is no longer correct, imo, but it was certainly "too little, too late" for many. No argument there.

Also, note what Sprint/HTC say about the Mogul and BT:
    5) Are all Bluetooth Headsets compatible with the Mogul?

No, Bluetooth headsets are not universally compatible with all handsets. Therefore, issues a user may encounter with a Bluetooth headset may not be attributable to the handset.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/24/2008 at 04:35 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The most recent I can think of is...

HTC 6800/Mogul

There are pictures of branded Verizon versions i.e. it was in testing in Dec 2006 (here are some "real" shots from Feb 2007)--it finally launched nearly 12 months later.

Sprint said (in their Buzz forums) that they held up the release of their own 6800 to put WM6 on it (guess they forgot it needed more mem though, eh?). Both carriers repeatedly missed and moved up launch windows for that device. They also royally screwed up BT, had not enough memory, did not have Rev A or GPS enabled (GPS is still wonky, btw).

So you are very incorrect with the above statement.

Here's your issue: You're comparing a N96 to a Treo

Different class of devices, you'll always be dissapointed with Palm. The N96 is a consumer-media fun akin to the iPhone.

Palm WM Treos, have been and always will be for Enterprise, corporations and comapnies running Exchange.

It is not for "prosumers" which is what the N96 is marketed towards. Technically speaking, if you are not a "business person" you should not really be looking towards the Treo 800w.

Should Palm release a "prosumer" device? Sure, but that's a different argument than trying to make the Treo 800w something it's not.

I can summarize you're entire post:

A new WM device is better than an old one.

That'll almost always be the case with technology.

Entertain me for a second. Beside mutlitasking (a somewhat over-rated feature, imo), what exactly does the HTC Touch do that the Palm Centro does not?

Pretend I never used either platform (but prepare for my counter as I'm very proficient in both).

Sorry to hear you are dissapointed. I enjoy my 700wx (though it is old) and it works well with

And my new Samsung (review coming soon).

I have no problem admitting BT is lacking on the 700wx, but for me it works quite well. It appears they cannot "do" anymore if it's a hardware limitation.

FWIW, the Centro's BT works very well and Palm fixed a lot on that device (compared to the 700p, 755p) so you're above statement is no longer correct, imo, but it was certainly "too little, too late" for many. No argument there.
    Thanks, good points.
    I use my Treo for all the same things I use my laptop for, therefore the multitasking is a big issue for me. The 5 months I used the 700P were a real pain.

Lets just hope they get it right at launch and that they launch it sooner than latter.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Thanks, good points.
    I use my Treo for all the same things I use my laptop for, therefore the multitasking is a big issue for me. The 5 months I used the 700P were a real pain.

Lets just hope they get it right at launch and that they launch it sooner than latter.
    thx and np.

When you need multi-tasking, you definitely need it and WM is fantastic for that function (I love Slingbox, a2dp while doing RSS and email checks during commericals myself ).

Options are great.

Oh boy, Here Malatesta goes again with the conspiracy theories and downright making stuff up about it being the carriers fault--

Even if HTC 6800 was delayed a few months it didn't stop HTC from launching corresponding models on other carriers well before Sprint. Same as nothing stopping Palm from launching either with any other carrier in existence.

So it stands to reason, your big theory then is ALL the carriers on the entire planet must be conspiring to stop Palm with unreasonable holdups. I am sure Palm has had the Treo 800 ready for this past year, but its just caught up in testing while Rimm, Apple and nokia launch product after product? Palm must get an extra year of testing then while Apple that entered the market with ZERO experiene in cell phones just sailed right through AT&T.

Maybe they just don't like Palm? Maybe they have interpersonal conflicts with all the business developement teams at ever single carrer? Maybe it has to do with the Sunni /Shia conflict in Iraq? This would be remotely plausible if Palm was even a factor in the mobile PDA handset business, a segment it created b but now is in non factor status under Ed.

Or maybe Occam's Razor applies here. Maybe a reasonable sane, non wanna be excuse of a board troll might come to a simpler conclusion? When you remove all of Molesters conspiracy theories and ideas totally lacking any grasp on reality, the simplest answer is correct. Palm has bad management and is incompetent and its their fault not every carrier in the planet holding back the Treo 800.

Palm does not have the leadership in place to launch new products nor the experience base any longer in the company to lead and launch new products which is why we've seen no innovation from the company in years.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 03/24/2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: edited out the name calling
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    Oh boy, Here Malatesta goes again... ...Molesters conspiracy theories and ideas...
    Why are you resorting to name-calling?
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 03/24/2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: edited out the name calling
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    Oh boy, Here Malatesta goes again... ...Malatesta conspiracy theories and ideas...QUOTE]

I have repeatedly said his ideas were ill founded, naive, based on nutty conspiracy theories that were just plain dumb-- not that he himself was.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 03/24/2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: edited out the name calling
    Please question the theory but don't resort to name calling.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    If HTC make a phone that doesnt have the slider keyboard and look like the Treo, then what will happen to Palm?

It seem like HTC come out with their phone quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    If HTC make a phone that doesnt have the slider keyboard and look like the Treo, then what will happen to Palm?

It seem like HTC come out with their phone quicker.
    i think that palm has some agreement with htc not to design a palm like device because htc manufactures the palm devices for palm. i believe that is the only reason palm is alive still.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Hopefully they have done some design changes that are different from the Centro. Hopefully it will have the flat screen like the Motorola Q9c and I hope a little better designed phone than the one that appeared on Gates screen on his presentation.
    I hope that it DOESN'T have a flat screen like the Q9c or the Touch. Too many accidental presses when on the phone. Unless they can build in a PalmOS-like dialer with the option to disable the touchscreen while on a call, keep the screen recessed.
    ...Different class of devices, you'll always be dissapointed with Palm. The N96 is a consumer-media fun akin to the iPhone.

I definitely agree with your last two statements, but not necessarily with the first. I think the iPhone is really starting to bridge the gap. It certainly isn't as capable a business device as even the 700w, but that is almost exclusively due to lack of available software. With the release of the SDK I think you will see this gap close rapidly.

In terms of Hardware the iPhone exceeds almost every device available today, even those considered "enterprise" devices. It's two main drawbacks from an enterprise standpoint, IMO, are lack of hardware keyboard and non user-replaceable battery. The latter is certainly easy enough to remedy. The former...not so much, but not a deal breaker for everyone.

In fact, I think the iPhone's biggest drawback is AT&T!

In any case, Palm or whomever keeps pushing the release of this phone back is killing it. It will have bugs, no matter what. There has to be another reason. Judging by past experience there is no way this thing hits the street before Q4...IF we're lucky.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Ok, let me restate that PALM in general and not just the WM version.

I am a business person, and in fact run a small business. Exchange is NOT important to me, and I dont use WM.

My concern is with the new Palm OS if that happens before the Linux system, or what ever Palm claims to release.

Personally, maybe the N96 is NOT a so called business device, but if it can do what Agendus can on the palm, and have POP3 (which it does) that's all I need. I guess Adobe reader, or a way to read PDF files.

Besides that, everything else is just frosting on the cake.

I personally think I could get by just fine as a business owner with an N96

Right now I get such a good deal with Sprint, that I stick with it, and phones they carry.

All I can say is that though I dont need everything the N96 has, my point to my post was how FAR BEHIND Palm will be. Regardless of Enterprise or not.

Look at what is going to be released soon, and look what is not even close to being released. N96 close. Palm whatever...... Not close. The problem is, if Palm doesn't step up their game, people WILL be buying things like the N96 and they will get the job done and then some.
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblerooski View Post
    I definitely agree with your last two statements, but not necessarily with the first. I think the iPhone is really starting to bridge the gap.

In any case, Palm or whomever keeps pushing the release of this phone back is killing it. It will have bugs, no matter what. There has to be another reason. Judging by past experience there is no way this thing hits the street before Q4...IF we're lucky.
    This is certainly true and always welcomed (MS wouldn't have licensed Exchange to Apple if they had thought otherwise ) but I was more or less referring to how Palm views the 800w and marketing of it = Enterprise.
    "...will be the most competitive enterprise solution in the marketplace."
    Combined with Palm expects companies not indivduals to buythe 800w tells you they are really aiming at for revenue. This is very different than iPhone, N96, etc. which sort of "throw a bone" towards enterprise, but I highly doubt you'll see companies rolling out en masse those devices to their employees, lol.

It'll be certainly interesting to see if/when it comes out if it has anything that was worth waiting for e.g. QChat, WM 6.1 (or higher), etc. If it has just WM 6.0 and nothing really "wow" then I think we can certainly attribute any delays to Palm. OTOTH, if it has say...the oft-rumored "WM 6.5" which is some hybrid of WM6 and WM7, then we know it was for "other" reasons and was purposefully delayed, much like the HTC 6800 was delayed for 6-12 months on Sprint and Verizon, respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I hope that it DOESN'T have a flat screen like the Q9c or the Touch. Too many accidental presses when on the phone. Unless they can build in a PalmOS-like dialer with the option to disable the touchscreen while on a call, keep the screen recessed.
    I heard from a very reliable source that Palm has toyed with "flush screens" as recently as the Centro and had working tester versions.

Evidently, their testers did not like the idea as they were constantly worried about scratching the screen. OTOH, "Drucker" was listed to have a flush screen whereas early mockups of the 800w did not--makes me think a re-design may be in the works.

Like I said, if it comes out and has
    • a recessed screen
    • no Qchat
    • no WM6.1+
    • no new "underlying technology" e.g. chipset, etc

Then I definitely think we can get the angry mob together...lol.

If it does have something like WM6.5 or QChat and that caused the delay, then we all have to rationalize whether we think that was a good move or not...

I dunno, was the HTC 6800 delay of 6-12 months worth it for WM6 (and the following 8 month delay for GPS/RevA)? Pretty personal choice I suppose (especially with those "downgraders" at ppcgeeks who put WM5 back on )
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    Look at what is going to be released soon, and look what is not even close to being released. N96 close. Palm whatever...... Not close. The problem is, if Palm doesn't step up their game, people WILL be buying things like the N96 and they will get the job done and then some.
    No argument there. But Palm knows that 2008 is not their time to compete with Nokia and those prosumer devices--that's just the reality of the situation. At least they are still saying Nova is "on track". If they make it to 2009 and have a new OS--that's when you'll see those devices, suposedly.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/24/2008 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I can't believe I recall this, but gadgetfreaky has called Mal this before:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=14

Perhaps it's merely a cute nickname between friends.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast