Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 139
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
    Dumb kids.

    Anyhow just because your frustrated Palm wont pump out a shiny treo fast enough for you doesnt mean the CEO is incompetent.

    Actually he sounded like he is executing his plan and they are well on their way back to profitablility...

    Some people have no hope.
    No they are right on the money!! Palm needs a wow factor breakthrough device NOW. Other companies are way ahead of them!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2. #22  
    In 3Q we should have the successor to the Tilt, Mogul, Touch, and new WM Standard devices. That doesn't even include new Android devices. The rumors would lead you to believe that the 800w is comparable in specs to the Tilt, which would be a winner TODAY but likely a disappointment in September.

    If they end up releasing this anywhere close to the Xperia they should really forget a GSM version or price it at a deep discount to the Sony product.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    If A CEO has to repeat over and over on a conference call his company "has a future"...and "I'm confident we have a bright future"....they pretty much don't. Palm's best bet is to get some profressional management in there and try and turn it around.
    They did and have... you can only turn a large ship but so fast. edit: I think you are talking an entire new team... sorry did not read your post correctly first time... I agree... 100%. I was thinking the recent management hires...

    Yes, they do have a future... if google, MS and access go under... today.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  4. #24  
    Listening to the full call, I don't think that the Colligan bashing is warranted. Sure, Palm's in a tight spot, but they *knew* this would be a tight spot, they *planned* for it by inking the deal with elevation. Palm made a conscious choice to stop putting out the same old stuff and go back to formula. Going back to formula takes a long time.

    ...all of that said, I do think that August is at least 3 months later than what it ought to be.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Listening to the full call, I don't think that the Colligan bashing is warranted. Sure, Palm's in a tight spot, but they *knew* this would be a tight spot, they *planned* for it by inking the deal with elevation. Palm made a conscious choice to stop putting out the same old stuff and go back to formula. Going back to formula takes a long time.

    ...all of that said, I do think that August is at least 3 months later than what it ought to be.
    I'm not sure what gives you so much confidence it will be August or with the stock at 4.50 after that horrible earnings call they can even last without getting rolled into some other entity.

    Oh and it's not bashing Colligan--its recognizing this guy has a fatal flaw. Palm, just like Apple and Rimm is about all about executing and getting out new and innovative products.

    Colligan does not have a track record of putting out any new phones. All the new products and ideas came from Hawkins etc. The Centro is really not a step forward--while it does sell well on Sprint--its not the kind of new products that will save Palm. They need to replace him with someone who has done so--either bring back the old guard like Jeff Hawkins or someone from HTC who has lapped Palm in terms of putting out 2-3 generations of WM phones while Palm worked super hard on the Foleo.

    Remember when Apple was just about to come out with the Iphone and Colligan publically scoffed at them saying "It takes multiple years to get this right--all this excitement is misplaced"

    And how did that work out? This guy fundamentally is not a guy who will bring out and execute new products. We've got Androidm next gen HTC, next gen Iphone (Iphone was developed and now close to lapping Palm a generation on its next iteration this june if not sooner)

    People in the lower ranks lose their jobs all the time, Colligan has not been shy about firing entire teams to "clean house". But at this point given he's tried everything, it's time to look at getting a guy who has experience and is comfortable launching new products. AFter all isn't that what Palm was good at before? Isn't that what we've been wanting from them for years?

    It's not bashing, it's common sense.

    The guy does not even have to have been a CEO as far as I am concerned to get the top spot at Palm --there are senior guys who have a lot of experience designing and launching new products who might be able to save Palm.
    Last edited by gadgetfreaky; 03/21/2008 at 08:34 AM.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    I'm not sure what gives you so much confidence it will be August or with the stock at 4.50 after that horrible earnings call they can even last without getting rolled into some other entity.

    Oh and it's not bashing Colligan--its recognizing this guy has a fatal flaw. Palm, just like Apple and Rimm is about all about executing and getting out new and innovative products.

    Colligan does not have a track record of putting out any new phones. All the new products and ideas came from Hawkins etc. The Centro is really not a step forward--while it does sell well on Sprint--its not the kind of new products that will save Palm. They need to replace him with someone who has done so--either bring back the old guard like Jeff Hawkins or someone from HTC who has lapped Palm in terms of putting out 2-3 generations of WM phones while Palm worked super hard on the Foleo.

    Remember when Apple was just about to come out with the Iphone and Colligan publically scoffed at them saying "It takes multiple years to get this right--all this excitement is misplaced"

    And how did that work out? This guy fundamentally is not a guy who will bring out and execute new products. We've got Androidm next gen HTC, next gen Iphone (Iphone was developed and now close to lapping Palm a generation on its next iteration this june if not sooner)

    People in the lower ranks lose their jobs all the time, Colligan has not been shy about firing entire teams to "clean house". But at this point given he's tried everything, it's time to look at getting a guy who has experience and is comfortable launching new products. AFter all isn't that what Palm was good at before? Isn't that what we've been wanting from them for years?

    It's not bashing, it's common sense.

    The guy does not even have to have been a CEO as far as I am concerned to get the top spot at Palm --there are senior guys who have a lot of experience designing and launching new products who might be able to save Palm.
    Good post... 100% on point....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7. #27  
    I think you all need to step back. There's NOTHING out there that is a wow form factor (over the Centro) or even a breakthrough phone with must have features possibly other than the browser.

    The CEO was correct about Apple. At this point, we're still waiting for "updates" to get basic standard functions that already exist in Treo or Centros. Apple doesn't nearly have it right. Yet, we do see them in progress, what they do have right is pretty impressive eye candy, and Apple is very very smart about marketing. Anything they do these days is golden for them and they got fans writing glorious blogs the next morning. Palm can't compete with that and they shouldn't try. Best to let it die down on its own and concentrate on what they do best.

    Palm is still suffering from actions taken years ago. Not developing a better OS, the focus on the failed Foleo, problems supporting the 700p etc.

    They know they can't rip out another 700w with windows 6 plastered on it. The Centro is still a good sign that palm can be innovative given what they had at the time to work with. It's a very nice little phone.

    I've no doubt they know they need to wow people with the 800w (and get a foothold back into the BB market) and that their OS and their next much awaited palm (non-qwerty) device needs to be able to compete with the iphone and allow for all the features we've been seeing or hearing from others.
  8. #28  
    I'm sorry but Palm is done. Their fate was sealed as soon as they decided to develop the Foleo. Who green lights something that out of sync? Anyone who buys one of their products is taking a risk and is making a mistake.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

    Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
  9. #29  
    I got a Centro. How risky was that? lol

    For many, the treo is the only thing worth having WM on.

    Give em time before announcing the death sentence.
  10. #30  
    seems obvious to me Palm doesn't know how to fix what is broken on the 800w since they still haven't fixed the broken 700wx.

    I would like to have one of my expensive phones once just work right from the start.I can hang on a little longer if they get it right the first time.

    The unreliable bluetooth on my 700wx is horrible. I need to find a bt headset that works with it and am unwilling to spend big money on one until proven to work.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    seems obvious to me Palm doesn't know how to fix what is broken on the 800w since they still haven't fixed the broken 700wx.
    Glad it's obvious to you because there are no facts on the ground as of today about the delay.

    Some Sprint employees, independent of each other on another forum, stated that a few months ago the 800w was listed in Sprint's database and that Sprint's marketing team was looking for a good time for a release date/how to market the device.

    Then poof. The 800w info was pulled and all went silent.

    Why that is we don't know. It's either
    • The device was close to certification but was pulled
    • The device is being reworked: new feature, new tech, or newer OS

    Until the device comes out though, no one knows the reason e.g. is this Palm's choice, Palm's screw up, or carrier change in the order....
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    The unreliable bluetooth on my 700wx is horrible. I need to find a bt headset that works with it and am unwilling to spend big money on one until proven to work.
    There are plenty of reviews and threads in the 700wx forum on this issue and all my BT headset reviews mention experience on the 700wx.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #32  
    Just let HTC design everything and rebag it a Treo.
  13. mikecc's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #33  
    But I still have some faith that treo 800w will turn the company around. And the current treo users are stubborn enough to keep the company going for a while.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
  14. #34  
    In this Betanews article Colligan states

    It will be Q1 of fiscal 2009 -- between June and August -- when the company is due to bring out its next line of Windows Mobile-based Treos. That introduction, Colligan told analysts, will help stabilize margins mostly because it will be businesses that invest in the product, not general consumers.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    I'm not sure what gives you so much confidence it will be August or with the stock at 4.50 after that horrible earnings call they can even last without getting rolled into some other entity.

    Oh and it's not bashing Colligan--its recognizing this guy has a fatal flaw. Palm, just like Apple and Rimm is about all about executing and getting out new and innovative products.

    Colligan does not have a track record of putting out any new phones. All the new products and ideas came from Hawkins etc. The Centro is really not a step forward--while it does sell well on Sprint--its not the kind of new products that will save Palm. They need to replace him with someone who has done so--either bring back the old guard like Jeff Hawkins or someone from HTC who has lapped Palm in terms of putting out 2-3 generations of WM phones while Palm worked super hard on the Foleo.

    Remember when Apple was just about to come out with the Iphone and Colligan publically scoffed at them saying "It takes multiple years to get this right--all this excitement is misplaced"

    And how did that work out? This guy fundamentally is not a guy who will bring out and execute new products. We've got Androidm next gen HTC, next gen Iphone (Iphone was developed and now close to lapping Palm a generation on its next iteration this june if not sooner)

    People in the lower ranks lose their jobs all the time, Colligan has not been shy about firing entire teams to "clean house". But at this point given he's tried everything, it's time to look at getting a guy who has experience and is comfortable launching new products. AFter all isn't that what Palm was good at before? Isn't that what we've been wanting from them for years?

    It's not bashing, it's common sense.

    The guy does not even have to have been a CEO as far as I am concerned to get the top spot at Palm --there are senior guys who have a lot of experience designing and launching new products who might be able to save Palm.

    I agree with your statements about Ed, but I am not so sure about Jeff H. He kept us on the edge for for 3 years on his mystery device we could not live without, dumped a whole lot of R&D for basically nothing. Yes he and Donna gave us the Treo but here we stand in line waiting. Many of the "Treo Faithful" are using or at least looking at other devices. Dieter is disappointed as well for this long delay. Perry is looking at a Windows Treo. This would not have happened if Palm would have focused on the Treo 900 which they could have delivered last year when Apple released the Iphone. Just my thoughts (fire away)
  16. #36  
    I TRIED waiting for a Treo 800w. I do like to be an early adoopter and grab the gadgets right away, and I would have had no trouble sticking with the 700wx, but the cronic issues with it were becoming so bad, it was impossible to use. These include

    - PIM database getting completely wiped out randomly for no reason (happens every few months)
    - Not enough memory for even a month of company emails
    - None of the Mobile 6 features
    - BAD Bluetooth which would hardly pair with my car, and never gave battery and signal indicators
    - A BUZZ on bluetooth,, which others I know with the same phone have

    I figured I would try the HTC touch after going back and forth between that and the Q9C for a bit.

    Granted, the touch does have some small issues (the psrint music store doesnt work with hi capacity microsd cards - not the TOUCHs fault- there is an issue with attatchments on the memory card) they will be cleaned up with a revision coming SECOND QUARTER which INCLUDES activating the GPS features.

    Having no hard keyboard DOES want to make you throw it out the window when you go from a Treo.. But in a few days, it is second hat, and the predictive onscreen keyboard lets you do things with much less presses.

    As far as the other features... DOUBLE the memory... A Big huge screen... Sprint TV... No weird database issues... Perfect and solid Bluetooth pairing... The toughfloo interface is more than just a fun skin app... You can scroll throuugh everything in any app with your fingers easily.

    It is SO light and small, that when I pick up the 700wx now it feels like something from 1989.

    The battery life with the Seido extended battery is great. It has little other features like taking simple tone ringtones and making them polyphonic.

    I can go on and on.

    I have had a Treo since the 300. I bought it after coming here and readying all about it. I loved it back then. What a great device. From there to the 600, 650, 700wx.

    I am not one to "bash" on a company. But for god sakes. I like the Treo devices and features and form factor. This company has not put out a Winmobile for CDMA for 2 YEARS which in tech is like 10 years in the real world.

    These other people like HTC put out innovative phones.

    Yes, I miss the keyboard. Maybe a few other things. But the pros sue outweigh the cons.

    Again, this isn't a rant.. or an ad... but just my opinion. If you want to ask me anything about the touch feel free to do so or PM.

    I was going to sell it once the 800w came out, which I thought mught be in May or so... Now it is July... August or who knows. By that time, I will surely be used to The Touch, and whoever said it better come out "fixed".. well no way.... nothing does especially from palm.

    How often do you see the most popular restuarant in town go from hours or weights to out of business... Or the same with a new club... or even a company like Poloroid who changed the way peopel take pictures years ago.

    Palm, even though it was many incarnations agio, was the first and ONLY truly integrated perfect form factor smartphone. I had one while everyone else was juggling around a PDA (like a Wizard) a cell phone and then later a Blackberry too. They had the lock on this and the lock on innovation.

    Now it has become a joke. At least the Centro is around to keep those basic people happy.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post
    I TRIED waiting for a Treo 800w. I do like to be an early adoopter and grab the gadgets right away, and I would have had no trouble sticking with the 700wx, but the cronic issues with it were becoming so bad, it was impossible to use. These include

    - PIM database getting completely wiped out randomly for no reason (happens every few months)
    - Not enough memory for even a month of company emails
    - None of the Mobile 6 features
    - BAD Bluetooth which would hardly pair with my car, and never gave battery and signal indicators
    - A BUZZ on bluetooth,, which others I know with the same phone have

    I figured I would try the HTC touch after going back and forth between that and the Q9C for a bit.

    Granted, the touch does have some small issues (the psrint music store doesnt work with hi capacity microsd cards - not the TOUCHs fault- there is an issue with attatchments on the memory card) they will be cleaned up with a revision coming SECOND QUARTER which INCLUDES activating the GPS features.

    Having no hard keyboard DOES want to make you throw it out the window when you go from a Treo.. But in a few days, it is second hat, and the predictive onscreen keyboard lets you do things with much less presses.

    As far as the other features... DOUBLE the memory... A Big huge screen... Sprint TV... No weird database issues... Perfect and solid Bluetooth pairing... The toughfloo interface is more than just a fun skin app... You can scroll throuugh everything in any app with your fingers easily.

    It is SO light and small, that when I pick up the 700wx now it feels like something from 1989.

    The battery life with the Seido extended battery is great. It has little other features like taking simple tone ringtones and making them polyphonic.

    I can go on and on.

    I have had a Treo since the 300. I bought it after coming here and readying all about it. I loved it back then. What a great device. From there to the 600, 650, 700wx.

    I am not one to "bash" on a company. But for god sakes. I like the Treo devices and features and form factor. This company has not put out a Winmobile for CDMA for 2 YEARS which in tech is like 10 years in the real world.

    These other people like HTC put out innovative phones.

    Yes, I miss the keyboard. Maybe a few other things. But the pros sue outweigh the cons.

    Again, this isn't a rant.. or an ad... but just my opinion. If you want to ask me anything about the touch feel free to do so or PM.

    I was going to sell it once the 800w came out, which I thought mught be in May or so... Now it is July... August or who knows. By that time, I will surely be used to The Touch, and whoever said it better come out "fixed".. well no way.... nothing does especially from palm.

    How often do you see the most popular restuarant in town go from hours or weights to out of business... Or the same with a new club... or even a company like Poloroid who changed the way peopel take pictures years ago.

    Palm, even though it was many incarnations agio, was the first and ONLY truly integrated perfect form factor smartphone. I had one while everyone else was juggling around a PDA (like a Wizard) a cell phone and then later a Blackberry too. They had the lock on this and the lock on innovation.

    Now it has become a joke. At least the Centro is around to keep those basic people happy.

    I got the touch for my son and he loves it. did 4000 texts last month, I could not do that without the keyboard (even with a keyboard) I am on the Q9C and will use that until the 800 is released. Left Palm last June with the BB 8830 and just got the Q last month. Palm always disappoints it's faithful.
  18. #38  
    I'm wanting to see what it's going to look like.. if it's anything similar to the Centro, i'll have to take a pass... I've been debating if I should switch over to the BB Curve when it hits Sprint next month, but I don't like their trackball. I love WM and the touch screen on my 700wx.
    I had to ditch my 700wx for a Blackberry...
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStatus View Post
    I'm wanting to see what it's going to look like.. if it's anything similar to the Centro, i'll have to take a pass... I've been debating if I should switch over to the BB Curve when it hits Sprint next month, but I don't like their trackball. I love WM and the touch screen on my 700wx.
    With what you like and don't like, your in a tight spot eh?
    at&t iPhone3G
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think you all need to step back. There's NOTHING out there that is a wow form factor (over the Centro) or even a breakthrough phone with must have features possibly other than the browser.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you here. The problem with this is that there ARE, and will be very very soon, if not already. Palm states how they will come out with this cool 800w, and guess what? They will already be 6 months behind the competition. By the time it is out and going, it will be old news.

    Take for instance the LG-LH2300 Touch Web phone in Korea.

    the LH2300 features a new "Hello UI" riding atop 800 x 480 pixels spread across a 3-inch touchscreen LCD. LG didn't stop with the web though as the LH2300 also packs T-DMB mobile TV, Bluetooth 2.0, microSD memory, and a jog wheel for easy page scrolling. Its 3 megapixel camera sports face recognition and anti-shake tech.

    I'd say that's pretty cool.

    How about the Nokia N96? I know we dont have it in the US, but look at its specs...

    * 16GB internal flash memory, plus microSD memory card slot (hot swappable) for expandability and flexibility
    * Approximate dynamic memory capacity indication with 16GB storage:
    o Video: 40 hours**
    o Music: 12,000 tracks***
    * 128MB RAM, 256MB system memory (operating system plus dynamic user data area)

    Display and User Interface

    * 2.8" QVGA (240 x 320 pixels) LCD TFT display with up to 16 million colors
    * User Interface: S60 3rd edition, feature pack 2
    * Active standby screen, Multimedia menu

    Data Transfer*

    * WCDMA HSDPA 900/2100 MHz with simultaneous voice and packet data (PS max speed DL/UL= 3.6Mbps/384kbps, CS max speed 64kbps)
    * Dual Transfer Mode (DTM) support for simultaneous voice and packet data connection in GSM/EDGE networks. Simple class A, multi slot class 11, max speed DL/UL: 177.6/118.4kbps
    * EGPRS class B, multi slot class 32, max speed DL/UL= 296/177.6kbps
    * GPRS class B, multi slot class 32, max speed DL/UL= 107/64.2kbps

    Video Codecs and Formats

    * MPEG-4 Part 2 (H.263/SP), up to VGA 30 fps, hardware-accelerated codec, scaled to max QVGA on device screen, or max SDTV on TV-out
    * MPEG-4 Part 10 (H.264/AVC), up to VGA 30 fps, hardware-accelerated codec, scaled to max QVGA on device screen, or SDTV on TV-out
    * Windows Media Video (WMV9), up to CIF/QVGA 30 fps, hardware-accelerated codec, scaled to max QVGA on device screen, or SDTV on TV-out
    * RealVideo QCIF at 30 fps
    * Flash video support in browser
    * DRM support: OMA DRM 1, OMA DRM 2, WM DRM

    Live TV

    * Broadcast Television (DVB-H) capable
    o DVB-H based mobile TV with internal antenna
    o DVB-H Class C, 470-750 MHz

    Browser-based video access

    * Support for download, streaming and progressive download
    * Support for Flash video
    Radio*

    * Stereo FM radio (87.5-108MHz, 76-90MHz) with support for RDS, Visual RadioT and use of FM radio in offline mode
    * Nokia Internet Radio

    Support for RDS? Now that's cool.

    Main camera

    * Up to 5 megapixel (2592 x 1944 pixels)
    * Carl Zeiss Optics: Tessar™ lens
    * Auto-focus, auto-exposure
    * F-number/aperture: F2.8
    * Focal length: 5.2 mm
    * Focus range 10 cm to infinity
    * Dual-LED camera flash, video light, recording indicator, auto-focus assist light

    Secondary camera

    * VGA (640 x 480 pixels) sensor

    I'd say those camera specs are pretty awesome. Carl Zeiss!!....What do we have on our Palm? NOT THAT.

    Maps and Navigation

    * Built-in GPS receiver, with support for assisted GPS (A-GPS)*
    * Nokia Maps application
    * Free downloadable maps of over 150 countries, millions of locations, location details and satellite imagery**
    * Upgrades available for purchase: Multimedia city guides and Navigation services: Drive - voice guided car navigation, or Walk - pedestrian-optimized turn-by turn guidance

    * A-GPS is a network dependant feature that requires a data plan. Additional charges may apply.

    ** Downloading satellite images may involve the transmission of large amounts of data through your service provider's network. Contact your service provider for information about data transmission charges.

    E-mail and Messaging

    * Easy-to-use email client with attachment support for images, videos, music and documents
    * Support for SMTP, IMAP4, POP3, MMS, SMS. Unified SMS/MMS editor
    * Compatible with Nokia Wireless Keyboard SU-8W (sold separately)

    Browsing and Internet

    * Nokia Web Browser with Mini Map, visual history, HTML and JavaScript support, Flash Lite 3.0 and Flash video support
    * RSS reader

    Connectivity

    * WLAN - IEEE802.11 g/b with UPnP support
    * Hi-Speed USB 2.0 with Micro USB type B interface
    * 3.5mm stereo headset plug , TV-out support (PAL/NTSC)
    * Bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP stereo audio and Enhanced Data Rates (EDR)
    * Nokia Nseries PC Suite connectivity with USB and Bluetooth wireless technology


    So with that said... I'd probably buy that thing.

    The point being, is that look what things already have, or are close to having. What do you think some phones will have in the next 6 months?

    Palm HAS to step it up. I used to say how I would be fine if it had 4GB of memory built in, a 2MP camera, Wifi, and a few other goodies. But with something like the specs of the N96, I dont think buying the Palm will be worth it down the road.

    Palm IS behind, and if devices keep coming out now with specs like that above, or close, Palm wont be selling many 800w or what ever it will be called.

    My whole beef with Palm, is that they claim they'll have something that will amaze us, but I doubt it will. The N96 for the most part amazes me.

    We know it wont be anywhere near something like the above, but it better not be garbage.

    Oh yeah, the N96 only weighs like .3g more than the AT&T Centro.
    Last edited by quickstang; 03/23/2008 at 07:51 PM.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions