1.    #1  
    Longtime lurker, very rare poster... but it's been a while since I've been this frustrated with my 700wx.

Trying to update my firmware from 1.14 to 1.15 via the Desktop Sync method. I'm using ActiveSync 4.5 on my PC. Palm indicates in the documentation on their website to have AS connected during the +/- 30 minute update process but NOT to have it actively syncing during the process. Well Microsoft seemingly disabled the "Scheduling" (greyed-out) function in plain ole AS. Supposedly you can use scheduling to tell AS not to sync during the update process if you're using Exchange. Well I'm not using Exchange, so AS tries to sync at about the 3:00 mark of the Update process and kills it everytime ("Update Failed").

I've got everything sync'ed fine and backed up using SPB Backup but I'm scared $h*^less to try the alternative SC Card Update method for fear of screwing something-up and not being able to restore my settings, phone logs, 3rd Party apps, etc. (Don't really know the effectiveness of these backup programs to restore after a ROM upgrade).

Has anyone successfully completed the 1.15 Update using plain ole ActiveSync on a desktop PC and if so... how the heck did you do it?
    I did mine through the SD card. I had no problems. If you do an AS (ActiveSync), it copies the cab files to your device, then the cab file executes on your device. I would feel safer performing the update via an SD card, since you can run the process while charging.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I did mine through the SD card. I had no problems. If you do an AS (ActiveSync), it copies the cab files to your device, then the cab file executes on your device. I would feel safer performing the update via an SD card, since you can run the process while charging.
    Eddie... little confused here so let me ask a few ???'s.

With doing it from the SD card, did you have to do a hard reset first? Palm says in the instructions on their website that you have to do a HR before beginning the SD card update. That hard reset is what scares me!

If you did the hard reset, then successfully completed the update via SD card, how did you get all your settings, third party apps, third party databases, etc. back on your phone?

I agree that the SD card update is probably the way to go. I just want to feel confident about getting everything back on after completing the update. I know ActiveSync won't put all that stuff back. I backup regularly using SPB Backup but I've never had to use it to restore anything. Do you know if SPB would work to put everything back?

Any insights you can provide are much appreciated

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    you could also go into AS on your wx and under options set it to sync nothing. then you would connect, but there would not be a sync. thats how I did it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by njmoleman View Post
    you could also go into AS on your wx and under options set it to sync nothing. then you would connect, but there would not be a sync. thats how I did it.
    njmoleman... let me make certain I'm understanding you correctly.

You were able to successfully complete the 1.15 Update by setting ActiveSync on your 700wx (NOT the desktop PC) to sync to nothing, right? By setting it to "sync nothing" I'm assuming you went in and un-did all the checkboxes under e-mail, pim data (can't remember them all right now). Is that correct? And I'm assuming part of the key is to do this on the handheld as opposed to the desktop, right?