1.    #1  
    My Treo 750 att w/ wm6 has a program named REMOTE DESKTOP MOBILE.

I have spent 3 days with tech support from att, sony, palm, earthlink and D Link routers but cannot get a remote connection activated. I have also been on many forums....but no luck.

Can you help me with this connection issue?

Here's the details.

Palm Treo 750 att branded & unlocked with HSDPA and os is WM6
    Earthlink DSL modem ZyXel model P660R-ELINK Dynamic IP
    Sony Vaio laptop model VGN-SZ770N Vista Business edition
    NO ROUTER NO WIRLESS NETWORK

I would like to use the Remote Desktop Mobile app that came with WM6 to remotely control my home based Sony Vaio Laptop running Vista Business.

This is what I have tried so far:

I have removed router and connected laptop directly to modem and cmd ipconfig to get my Dynamic IP address 192.168.x.xx

I have setup an additional user name and password on the laptop (Vista Business)

Also I went to control panel> system> remote settings to
    Allow remote assistance to this laptop and
    I have enabled the option to : Allow connections from computers running any versions of Remote Desktop and

I clicked on Select Users and added myself as an allowed user.

I also clicked on the general tap to verify the FULL NAME of the laptop

Also I allowed the exception Remote Desktop in windows firewall.

I also tried unsuccessfully to connect when I disabled both widows and Norton firewalls.

To summarize... I have the laptop setup for remote desktop connections allowed.

The firewalls are disabled.

I have the IP address of the laptop 192.168.x.xx (from ipconfig)

I have the exact correct spelling of the user name and password I use to log on to the laptop with.

It is my understanding that when I launch Remote Desktop Mobile on the treo I am to fill in the 3 boxes like this:

computer 192.168.x.xx
    user name my full computer name (found on the computer name tab
    on remote settings window
    password The password I use to log on as a user on the Vista laptop

But no connection. Please advise.

Also I tried going to www.whatismyipaddress.com
    and I get a different ip address 216.17x.xx.xxx
    than when I cmd>ipconfig ip address 192.168.x.xx

so I tried the ip 216.17x.xx.xxx but also no connection

Please help if you can...

thanks Robert
    192.168 is a local only IP address. This means you a behind a router somewhere down the line. You will need to forward a port on that router.
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeb View Post
    192.168 is a local only IP address. This means you a behind a router somewhere down the line. You will need to forward a port on that router.
    How do we do that on a linksy's router?
    Since every firewall/router is different, you'll need to check your docs.

Or take a look over here: http://www.portforward.com/ They offer help on port forwarding for most common routers.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
  6.    #6  
    I did call D LINK and set up port fowaring but still could not get palm to remote desctop connection.

Then...

In an effort to trouble shoot I specificaly removed the router so I could hook laptop drectly to modem. But stll no conection.

How do I find out my public ( external) IP address , I went to whatismyipaddress.com and I tried that IP address but still wodent work.

I must be doing something simple but wrong..

thanks in advance if you can help me.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    under run type cmd

when you get the black box opened type "ipconfig" without quote marks I think this will give you the ip address you need
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    This can be difficult to configure with some dsl ISPs. You may have to configure the port forwarding in the modem. Or pay for a static IP address. That is what I did.
    Here is how I have this setup.

DSL with dynamic addressing on the internet side, LAN address 192.168.0.1

On the PC/Laptop make sure you can connect locally to verify Remote Desktop is running and no firewall issue on the PC.

Then go get a DynamicDNS host name through no-ip.com or similar. They have a client that runs on the PC and updates your address. So you end up with something like example.myvnc.com.

On the the DSL modem/router where I added a port forward for port 3389 to the PC's IP address (Which I have set statically 192.168.0.2)

From the Treo you can just use the address of example.myvnc.com and connect. I have been doing this for years.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

10.    #10  
    Thanks to Jamesgangut for the post. I finaly got Remote Desktop to work. One problem was my modem was unbridged and was also acting as a router. I bridged the modem and set connection to PPoE instead of DCHP and forwarded port 3389 and then followed the post from Jamesgangut and presto it worked.

Thnaks again to all.
    That's exactly what I was about to say.

Most folks don't realize that their DSL modem is actually a router. Bridging it and letting your normal router perform the login with PPOE is the only way to go.

Many file sharing (like torrent) and other applications just don't work well (if at all) when stacked behind 2 firewall/routers back to back.

wondering how you like Remote now that it is working. I would also like to access my desktop PC, but I have a 680 running Palm, so I can't seem to find any programs to support that. I would consider switching to a WM device, when I got mine I was told that Palm is a bit more stable. Thanks
  13.    #13  
    I love it! I travel alot and frequently acess my laptop now with remote desktop. The HSDPA connection is a must or it would be way to slow. It takes some getting used to as the screen is so small on the Treo 750, but a number of well placed ICONS on the desktop of the remote computer is realy helpful.

Go for it !!!

Robert
    ok so how can i connect without plugging it in>? i got it to work ONLY plugged in though under port: 8939 on UDP and TCP.. what am i doing wrong? pleeeaszxe
    Quote Originally Posted by quick34 View Post
    ok so how can i connect without plugging it in>? i got it to work ONLY plugged in though under port: 8939 on UDP and TCP.. what am i doing wrong? pleeeaszxe
    Not enough details to even envision what you're talking about. How can you connect without plugging what in? And plugging it in where?

Are you trying to connect to a PC on your home network? Are you using a wireless card in your Treo? If not, how is your home network configured? etc, etc, etc....

sorry,
    well basically ive been using remote desktop on sync only when i have it plugged into the USB cable. ANd it works perfectly. I have internet on my treo 750 and cant connect to my PC @ home, i have forward 3389 to TCP and UDP. Yes my PC im trying to conenct is on a home network. ive configured my zwire to forward #3389 already. when i have the usb plugged into my pc to my phone it type in IP (not the 192.168.X.XXX) but the other one. what am i doing wrong?
    First off, have you attempted to remote desktop in from outside your home network using a regular PC? This would at least narrow down if it's a treo issue or just a networking issue. (i'm betting network)

I'm assuming you're using either a DSL or cable modem. In most cases these devices are actually routers. You'll need to log into this modem/router and put it in "bridged" mode. Then log into your home firewall/router and set up the internet connection as PPPoE and give it your DSL/cable login credentials. This will make your firewall router the actuall device that faces the internet (as well as improve latency in general as there is no more router behind a router).

Some ISPs may block port 3389. You may try using a port foward with a different port. Such as forwarding 13389 from the outside to 3389 on the PC you want to control. Then when connecting from the outside, use the new port 13389.

Again, I would test this all with a PC from the outside before I started hammering away on the Treo.

..ok thanks! i tried connecting to my pc from another outside the network and failed. so ill try and do my best doing what u said when i get home. thanks again! hopfully i can get this up and running as soon as possible, ill give u an update later!