Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. hkklife's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    #21  
    @ chong67:
    From the looks of it (smile keyboard, IR, Palm-style hard buttons) the 800w looks to be an "in-house" Palm design. It's got many more of the traditional Palm design cues than, say, the Treo 500. Though I do recall reading somewhere last year that future Palm WinMob designs would be outsourced to various ODMs so who knows at this point?


    As to the fullsize SD vs. microSD argument----more capacity at a lower cost and (secondarily) at a faster speed is always better IMO. I have a 160gb iPod Classic (which I detest but that's another story entirely) that I bought purely for storage capacity. By the time microSD is at 16gb, fullsize will be at 32gb. Besides, my complaints about micro vs. fullsize is secondary to Palm refusing to "certify" any card capacity larger than 4GB for any of their devices. Even though their WinMob products don't have 4GB volume issues, Palm lags behind the rest of the industry in making their devices media-friendly (no 3.5mm stereo headphone ports, no onboard storage, no official support for large cards). A shame, as Palm was actually quite the trendsetter back in '00/'01, being one of the first device manufacturers to jump on the SD/MMC bandwagon (as wel as Bluetooth) and giving SD/MMC a very strong showing, such as offering full SDIO support for vaporware add-ons (not Palm's fault) back when SD/MMC was little more "just another CF competitor".

    Regarding the conspiracy theories....despite Ed Colligan's mantra of "delighting the customer", I haven't seen Palm do anything in YEARS (no, the free copy of Sudoku to Verizon 700p owners doesn't count) to do much in the way of throwing a bone to their loyal users, much less doing anything that I'd deem "delightful".
    My belief in Palm being up to no good was confirmed when they disabled BT DUN functionality in the final two high-end Palm OS PDAs (LifeDrive & TX) and stopped updating the PhoneLInk software for GSM handsets in a pitiful attempt to stimulate Treo sales. By prematurely snuffing the life out of the PDA market and cutting off any kind of BT/WAN tethering for CDMA (and modern GSM) handsets, Palm essentially forced legacy handheld users wanting a new Garnet-based device to upgrade to a higher-margin Treo + data plan. Of course, while that strategy has likely worked for a fair number of users (I grudgingly went to a 700p & a 755p from a TX, valuing the simplicity & elegance of the Palm PIM apps and years' worth of registered apps I have invested in), it probably caused an untold number of users to just jump ship to Apple, RIM, WinMob etc. That said, I'm still sticking with my 755p, at least through the summer...


    @Overbyc1: I don't carry a USB thumbdrive to & from work, and just use my SDHC card for transporting files back & forth in addition to storing photos & high-bitrate mp3s/FLAC/MPEG files. Also, mini & microSD cards are especially prone to damage/breakage/loss. I'd MUCH rather have a single large card with EVERYTHING on it than a handful of smaller capacity cards.
    Last edited by hkklife; 05/20/2008 at 09:49 AM.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    hey now....while the HTC Diamond & Raphael looks awesome that will be the first HTC product imo that is truly cool. Prior to that HTC has just been make em cheap and fast r. us.

    America has the Iphone man...you cant say we don't know how to innovate.
    My HTC Universal was never cheap,and while it never had iPhone cool,it was a pretty amazing device, especially for 2005. In fact,HTC designed the original Compaq Ipaq,from which all cool WM devices descend.

    Surur
  3. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #23  
    HTC made Dell Axim x51v too
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    As to the fullsize SD vs. microSD argument----more capacity at a lower cost and (secondarily) at a faster speed is always better IMO. I have a 160gb iPod Classic (which I detest but that's another story entirely) that I bought purely for storage capacity. By the time microSD is at 16gb, fullsize will be at 32gb.
    It's not always about being on the bleeding edge dude. You have to ask, "How many people are going to use this?" before you add any function/feature to a device.

    Sure you might want to drop $200+ on a 32GB SD card and plop it into your Treo, but the majority of us are fine at 4 and 8GB. Keep in mind that the Treo is meant to be a business device. Most businessmen (and even non-businessmen) aren't going to buy the HTC over the Palm only because the HTC supports 32GB SD cards and the Palm only supports 16GB MicroSD cards.

    Simply put, it's not a huge selling point for most and it would not be worth the other sacrifices Palm would have to make.

    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Besides, my complaints about micro vs. fullsize is secondary to Palm refusing to "certify" any card capacity larger than 4GB for any of their devices. Even though their WinMob products don't have 4GB volume issues, Palm lags behind the rest of the industry in making their devices media-friendly (no 3.5mm stereo headphone ports, no onboard storage, no official support for large cards). A shame, as Palm was actually quite the trendsetter back in '00/'01, being one of the first device manufacturers to jump on the SD/MMC bandwagon (as wel as Bluetooth) and giving SD/MMC a very strong showing, such as offering full SDIO support for vaporware add-ons (not Palm's fault) back when SD/MMC was little more "just another CF competitor".
    Once again, the Treo is meant to be a business device, not an Ipod replacement. How many other PDA phones released in the last 2 years have an onboard 3.5mm headphone port? Did these phones sell like hotcakes because of their headphone ports? Did they sell more than the Treo?

    How much onboard storage does one need? And remember, you have to ask, who's going to use this? If I can drop a 4 or 8GB SD card in my Treo, why bother having a large onboard storage? Just give me enough to install the few programs I can't install on my storage card (128MB is more than enough for most IMO).

    As for the large storage card issue, I guess that can be important to some, but once again, it's not a selling point for most people. Joe Blow doesn't know the difference between a 4GB SD card and a 4GB SDHC card.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    My HTC Universal was never cheap,and while it never had iPhone cool,it was a pretty amazing device, especially for 2005. In fact,HTC designed the original Compaq Ipaq,from which all cool WM devices descend.

    Surur
    i always found htc devices kinda hard to use. i had the original ipaq and a few iterations after it came out. i never used them. battery life low, usefulness low. just seemed crappy. now i also assumed that these were outside designs and in early days htc just copied the stuff -sounds like thats not right


    however. i did have the mogul and i really hated it and that was relatively recent. so yeah --just not a htc fan. i am a heavy duty gadget buyer - i buy most everything. and in my entire life it was the only think i returned. poj.
    Apple with their effort blows em away imo. and until the diamond i have not seen them come out with anything really cool.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    HTC made Dell Axim x51v too
    yeah and that did well
  7. #27  
    HTC makes some amazing devices. In US you just did not have access to their full range.

    Previously they did not do much to enhance the OS, but that has obviously been changing over the years. WM devices however never had low usefulness. They are and were what you made of them.

    Surur
  8. #28  
    They are and were what you made of them.>>>

    And the masses won't do it. They want it made ready for them out of the box kinda like the iphone and to an extent the Centro.

    Heck, the Centro has plenty of features that rival or exceed other phones, but poor advertising means noone knows about em. Apple understands marketing to the masses. Every cool feature (the few they have) they highlight in one of their nauseous commercials or videos on their website.

    And you walk into a Sprint store, that won't help either. The salesmen often don't know any better either or steer you towards something else.

    In today's age, we're all concerned with how something looks. To me, it's a device. I'm concerned with what it does...and not with trying to gather a crowd around me to go "ooohhh" when i use that device. Obviously, that's not true with everyone. One looks at an iphone and think its a marvel of a phone in looks and form. I look at it and see a big flat thin clunky device that needs too much swiping with two hands and definitely wasn't made to talk on. (good music player though and love the screen & browser..i've always said that).

    Cool to me, means features. And not the kind you have to be a programmer to tweak.
  9. #29  
    I'm waiting for the GPS revolution the iPhone II will bring. Thousands of column inches will be written about how Apple has brought location-based services to the masses, how revolutionary it is to have GPS on a phone, how simple it is (just tap the icon!) and how we should all abandon our Tomtom and Garmin software, because Apple has finally got it right.

    :sigh:

    Surur
  10. TazUk's Avatar
    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #30  
    Yep
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions