Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Everyone will probably say I am making this up.. I don't have many posts, etc.

My friend is software engineer for pda software company. Tonight he showed me the treo 800w that will be released on Verizon b4 christmas... if it is not delayed as many verizon releases lately.

It Does have builtin wifi, looks a lot like centro, Does have a ringer switch, has neither athena or miniusb, but a NEW proprietary connector.
    I hope that they change the connector to mini usb for the release, the connector was about the same size.

It was blue, lighter than the 750 and not mettalic or rubberized.

One thing I liked was the time bounced around the screen when the backlight was off so those of you that don't wear a watch can glance at the time.

I didn't type on it, but the keyboard was smaller yet didn't look Too small to have trouble typing.

No I have no pictures, But I did want to share my quick impressions.

Now I just hope that a GSM version comes out soon after.
    Good lord, they made the keyboard smaller?!?!

Anyway, thanks for info. New news is good news. Gives people something to obsess over.

Any word from your friend on whether or not it has a GPS receiver built-in? Early rumors said it would.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by howiecam View Post
    Everyone will probably say I am making this up.. I don't have many posts, etc.

My friend is software engineer for pda software company. Tonight he showed me the treo 800w that will be released on Verizon b4 christmas... if it is not delayed as many verizon releases lately.

It Does have builtin wifi, looks a lot like centro, Does have a ringer switch, has neither athena or miniusb, but a NEW proprietary connector.
    I hope that they change the connector to mini usb for the release, the connector was about the same size.

It was blue, lighter than the 750 and not mettalic or rubberized.

One thing I liked was the time bounced around the screen when the backlight was off so those of you that don't wear a watch can glance at the time.

I didn't type on it, but the keyboard was smaller yet didn't look Too small to have trouble typing.

No I have no pictures, But I did want to share my quick impressions.

Now I just hope that a GSM version comes out soon after.

Do you think that it looks like the just released 500 from Vodafone; it is a little bigger than the Centro. Just saw another post in this forum that Access
    or Alps device may hit in the 1st half of 08. If they do Palm will be in deep deep trouble!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    sounds exciting!
    Treo 600-->Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w --> HTC Touch Diamond --> HTC Touch Pro 2 --> HTC EVO
  5.    #5  
    Yes, it was about the size of the 500, judging from the pictures I have seen on the web. It might be the same body, but with a ringer switch where the power button is on the 500.

I didn't ask about the GPS, I doubt it as it is a small phone compared with 680/750 and has wifi. I will ask him today.
    Cool Howiecam, thanks. Looking forward to the info you get.
    Hmmmm sounds interesting. I hope your not trying to pull a fast one on us bro because some of us have been anxiously waiting for some type of news on an 800w lol.

Is the screen similar to the 700 series or more landscape like the 500? If it's possible could you please check the maH of the battery too? Thanks in advance bro I appreciate it.
    Last edited by untouchablez; 09/30/2007 at 12:03 PM.
    I'm actually hoping for landscape 320x240, I want my video full screen. There, I said it!

*ducks*
    Like all CDMA phones this will only have aGPS in it--so that is your GPS.

Same problem as before though: Sprint/Verizon either don't have the APIs or won't release them, so you won't be able to access the GPS w/ 3rd party programs, just like all current WM devices on Verizon/Sprint.

Interesting post howiecam.

Any details about the OS/today screen/changes we might see? The bouncing clock sounds very cool, lol.

From what howie described, I think it's quite accurate. Hopefully some leaked shots will be coming soon...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    Good lord, they made the keyboard smaller?!?!
    It would make sense that Palm would be using the same, or simular, form factor as the Centro for their next WM device. Remember, the Centro started out with Treo branding before Palm branded it a Centro. Perhaps Palm is going to put out a Centro based on WM. The device we are talking about may not even be the real Treo 800W.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    What's the screen's resolution?
    This is touch screen right? Did you ask what other colors it comes in? Now the for the key question, does this device have threaded SMS like the 750?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Like all CDMA phones this will only have aGPS in it--so that is your GPS.

Same problem as before though: Sprint/Verizon either don't have the APIs or won't release them, so you won't be able to access the GPS w/ 3rd party programs, just like all current WM devices on Verizon/Sprint.
    You might be right Malatesta, but I wouldn't jump too fast to say that. The RIM 8830 does have an actual SiRF III GPS chip in it, not simply aGPS. As for the APIs, I agree, it's simply greed on Verizon's part. But Sprint does make the GPS unit "available" on their version of the 8830 and I expect that Verizon will as well once their customized navigator solution is available.

CDMA handsets are far behind GSM units in making GPS available (TyTN II comes to mind immediately), but there's always hope.

Fingers crossed.
    Good info.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    You might be right Malatesta, but I wouldn't jump too fast to say that. The RIM 8830 does have an actual SiRF III GPS chip in it, not simply aGPS. As for the APIs, I agree, it's simply greed on Verizon's part. But Sprint does make the GPS unit "available" on their version of the 8830 and I expect that Verizon will as well once their customized navigator solution is available.

CDMA handsets are far behind GSM units in making GPS available (TyTN II comes to mind immediately), but there's always hope.

Fingers crossed.
    Yeah, that's exactly it: BB = GPS; 67/6800 = Wifi

That looks to be changing a bit with this device, but it's one of those things: if the 800w has GPS, then every WM device on Sprint/Verizon will have GPS since they all have aGPS on them (and I bet the 800w has the msm7500 chipset, like the 6800/Touch).

What we may get is this: TeleNav for $2.99 day/$10 month

That
    I think is possible as it will benefit the carriers. But I would not hope for a AT&T/HTC Tilt approach with open GPS.

Anyways, going by the last spec sheet for the 800w, there is no mention of GPS as a feature--though there is Wifi.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...7/Treo800w.jpg
    Last edited by Malatesta; 10/01/2007 at 01:41 PM.

16.    #16  
    Like Maletesta said, it does have GPS like all CDMA phones. My friend said he saw a setting for making location private for only emergency calls.

He did not know if it is available to 3rd party software.

the pic linked above looks like it is stretched horizontally. the screen looked square to me, probably 320x320, however I did not look too much at it. it is skinnier than my 680, that photo looks wide like a BB.
  17.    #17  
    Q,
    I know my friend referred to it as the 800, and I think I remembered seeing the Treo name on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by howiecam View Post
    Like Maletesta said, it does have GPS like all CDMA phones. My friend said he saw a setting for making location private for only emergency calls.

He did not know if it is available to 3rd party software.

the pic linked above looks like it is stretched horizontally. the screen looked square to me, probably 320x320, however I did not look too much at it. it is skinnier than my 680, that photo looks wide like a BB.
    Thanks for doing research on this device that we want Palm to release information on for all of us. I am a Treo user (past) I have the BB 8830 which on Sprint does uses the GPS to enable use of programs that provide navigation. Does this unit look like the Centro or the Palm 500? Hopefully your friend will allow you to snap a picture of this unit (then photoshop it to a different color if necessary). I guess the Palm 500V is a little wider than the Centro. I probably will try the 800w when it comes out and try to live with the unit until a Linux Treo comes out either with Palm's OS II or a mfg that comes out with an "Alps Treo" with keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Does this unit look like the Centro or the Palm 500? Hopefully your friend will allow you to snap a picture of this unit (then photoshop it to a different color if necessary). I guess the Palm 500V is a little wider than the Centro.
    Total speculation on my part which maybe Howie an confirm/deny:

The 800 will basically look like the 500 but with a 320x320 screen. Look at the 500 series and you can see how you have that "space" between the screen and main keys...perfect for adding that extra 80 pixels, imo.

Of course there will be some other cosmetic differences, including the supposed ringer switch swapped for a power button (makes sense).

This would keep production costs down as basically they'd overlap on parts...

Treo 500
    http://www.brighthand.com/assets/6648.jpg

FWIW, my VZW guy said a "totally different looking device" was coming next, when I asked him about the upcoming 755 on VZW. The first line in the opening post always makes one wonder, but it sure makes sense.

Also, that excited quote about watching 240x320 videos in full screen (smaller too?) instead of with empty areas on a 320x320 cracks me up. Uhhh, yes Palm, please take away some of my screen real estate, so that all apps get crammed even tighter than we're already dealing with ... that way at least it's "full screen" video. Wooohoo.
    Patrick Horne
Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast