Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    to clarify, the rep thought that it was a 750 because it was a windows based device with an internal antenna.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    750 is Windows based and no antenna, but this is GSM not a phone that Verizon would carry unless Palm changed the radio to CDMA for Verizon. I would think that they would give it a new number too. Not much of a step forward.

I would double check with your VZW rep for a clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    Mal:

Do you have any updated info on this? It seems that lately I've been hearing more about VZW releasing this phone before the end of this year (yeah right!) than I have about Sprint releasing it Q1 2008 (especially with the pending release of the Centro on Sprint).
    We have a member at ppcgeeks who claims he's a tester for Sprint. He says he has the 800w. The description he gave was similar to Howiecam's OP, including the bit about Wifi. I personally can't vouch for his authenticity though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Phonenews.com ran a story with Sprint's lineup a couple weeks back, slating the 800w for a Q1 release. That was a the last official/non-official news on it but it was fairly recent (I'd link to the story, but that site seems to be wonky today).

The other was the older spec sheet which stated a Q4 release, which has obviously been bumped up to Q1 2008 --> 800w

So I feel confident in saying Sprint is definitely getting this. Now as to a Verizon "exclusive", if it's a 90-day (possible) then they'd have to launch pretty soon, like Nov at the latest. But I'm skeptical of them getting it out the door so quickly, just because the HTC 6800 and HTC 5800 are still MIA. (I also highly, highly doubt this is "just a CDMA 750w"). If they h ave an exclusive, can they hold up the Sprint release till they get it out? I have no idea.

Update: As of today, the 800w is not "imminent" on Verizon as there is no mention of it. --> Verizon upcoming phone list

Like everyone else is saying, I expect to hear more of these stories and eventually leaked pics in the coming weeks and probably some FCC news too.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 10/03/2007 at 04:31 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4.    #44  
    After looking at pics of the centro and 500 on an actual computer (not my 680).. I would say the 800w looks more like the centro than the 500.

If vzw has a 90 day exclusive.. they could release up till xmas and sprint could still release in q1 2008 (march 31). Just a thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by howiecam View Post
    After looking at pics of the centro and 500 on an actual computer (not my 680).. I would say the 800w looks more like the centro than the 500.
    Interesting.

Here's why: the Centro is actually designed by Palm--completely:
    Palm not only did the industrial design, but actually did the electrical hardware design as well. Palm felt it was important to have full control over the complete hardware and software design process so that they could achieve exactly what they wanted. Some of their other phones have used an ODM for design, but not this one.
    Whereas the 500 is made by ASUS (the ODM referred to above).

So, at the very least if this is accurate then the 800w will not be just another knockoff device, stamped by Palm. Of course, this doesn't guarantee it will be great either, lol.

Howie, you did see it running WM though, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by howiecam View Post

If vzw has a 90 day exclusive.. they could release up till xmas and sprint could still release in q1 2008 (march 31). Just a thought...
    Howie - you have a pm from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Update: As of today, the 800w is not "imminent" on Verizon as there is no mention of it. --> [
    I'd be surprised Verizon would announce the 800w is coming in a couple of months while they're still trying to sell 700wx.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I'd be surprised Verizon would announce the 800w is coming in a couple of months while they're still trying to sell 700wx.

ET
    True, but what Boy Genius posted wasn't an announcement but a leaked roadmap/internal doc.

Can the insiders confirm the memory card type and the amount of user available RAM and ROM? I realize the latter two may not have been finalized for a beta device.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Can the insiders confirm the memory card type and the amount of user available RAM and ROM? I realize the latter two may not have been finalized for a beta device.
    Those would most likely be finalized if in a carrier testing phase. I'd look at the Treo 500 as your benchmark and run from there. As a Treo, it would have to at least be as good as that, if not a good bit better (would be nice to see them pull a Tungsten C and just throw in an obscene amount of RAM though).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    256/128 would be sweet!!!! Probably not very realistic.

With the 800W being the new flag ship device(??) you would think that everything would have to be upgraded from the Centro and the 500 if you are expecting your customer to pay $600.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Howie - you have a pm from me.
    Septimus, No! Don't shoot the messenger now. He's doing reeeeel good.
    Patrick Horne
    I just had a meeting with my Sprint Solutions Engineer and was sadly informed that the 800w has been delayed until February of next year. He also said that it could be pushed beyond that.

The HTC Touch has taken the 800w's spot for the November Q4 rollout. The Motorola Q9 along with the Touch will be released Nov 23rd as of right now.

However, I do have good news! My corporation is going to get the opportunity to participate in the beta for the Treo 800w. I will keep you updated and get some screenshots of the device once we get one.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinehart View Post
    I just had a meeting with my Sprint Solutions Engineer and was sadly informed that the 800w has been delayed until February of next year. He also said that it could be pushed beyond that.

The HTC Touch has taken the 800w's spot for the November Q4 rollout. The Motorola Q9 along with the Touch will be released Nov 23rd as of right now.

However, I do have good news! My corporation is going to get the opportunity to participate in the beta for the Treo 800w. I will keep you updated and get some screenshots of the device once we get one.
    Good info. Feb doesn't sound too bad I guess. It bodes well for having RevA out of the gates, unlike the Touch/6800. Sooner is better but, speaking for myself, I can wait a wee bit longer.

That also puts it at about the same life-span/replacement as the 6700/6800 device, which sounds normal for Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Good info. Feb doesn't sound too bad I guess. It bodes well for having RevA out of the gates, unlike the Touch/6800. Sooner is better but, speaking for myself, I can wait a wee bit longer.

That also puts it at about the same life-span/replacement as the 6700/6800 device, which sounds normal for Sprint.

However, I'm not sure what I was most dissapointed in, the 800w delay or no WM6 ROM update for the 700wx.

Quote Originally Posted by jrinehart View Post
    or no WM6 ROM update for the 700wx.
    Was this ever on the cards?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Was this ever on the cards?

Surur
    Yup. I do recall at one point it being in testing, but not sure if that was Sprint or VZW.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Yup. I do recall at one point it being in testing, but not sure if that was Sprint or VZW.
    Actually, it was unsubstantiated rumor e.g. "A Verizon/Palm/Sprint tech told me..." but no actual screen shots or hard evidence to demonstrate this was even being considered was ever released, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

Either way, jrinehart's point was probably just "it was never even offered", to which I'd say that a lot of people who have run WM6 are not overwhelmed with the differences, mostly because a lot of the changes were internal.

If the so called 800w is schedule to release at the end of the year, it should be undergoing the testing by the (Verizon) tech right now. Which means we should see the leaked picture of the phone by now.
    Unless we must sign some secrecy NDA, hopefully I will have some pics for you guys late November of the Sprint version of the 800w. I've never been involved in a "hardware" beta so I'm not sure what's involved.

But, if at all possible I will give full details with pics asap.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast