Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    If this is True Palm needs to be in ICU, how come Motorola is able to pack so much in a small package (Motorola Q9C) It doesn't have wifi or touchscreen but it is a strong phone. We have the android on the horizon, with the 900 treo to follow. My son's Muti Touch does fairly well but no keyboard; apple announced their flag ship 6 months before delivery why can't Palm do the same? If the Iphone were to be on Sprint and with a real keyboard I would switch. apple has made mention of a flip Iphone. Of course Palm is doing well with the Centro but that is not a "Flagship" product.
    if this is true--we are going to know soon since there earnings call is tomorrow i believe. If there are big technical problems with the 800 that impact the rollout then some smart Wall Street Analyst is going to ask it.

Maybe if some Wall Street Analyst doesn't ask...one of you will get on the call and ask. Just use some small firm name and get on the call
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    Wow....talk about silly and emotional rollercoasters.....I sure was stoked the other day and hopeful for the future....now I'm certainly depressed....enough already. Palm/VZW/Sprint....just spill the beans and release it.....arrrghhhhhhh
    I too had great hopes that this would finally be the one that would last for a while. But alas, who knows?

I have a small ray of hope in that these guys are serious crackberry addicts (aren't all corp IT guys??) and he even tried to steer me away form ANYTHING made by HTC. Well, boys and girls, if I were a mindless dolt, a crackberry would be fine. But it has to be the least hackable OS out there and where's the fun in that?

Crossed fingers.

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    If this is True Palm needs to be in ICU, how come Motorola is able to pack so much in a small package (Motorola Q9C) It doesn't have wifi or touchscreen but it is a strong phone. We have the android on the horizon, with the 900 treo to follow. My son's Muti Touch does fairly well but no keyboard; apple announced their flag ship 6 months before delivery why can't Palm do the same? If the Iphone were to be on Sprint and with a real keyboard I would switch. apple has made mention of a flip Iphone. Of course Palm is doing well with the Centro but that is not a "Flagship" product.
    1. The Q9c blows chunks.
    2. Motorola's cell division is hurting so badly that it's being sold off.

I sure hope that the 800w is NOTHING like the Q9c.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    1. The Q9c blows chunks.
    2. Motorola's cell division is hurting so badly that it's being sold off.

I sure hope that the 800w is NOTHING like the Q9c.
    Q9C is just as stable as my 755p

Why the dislike for the Q (I know the 1st Q sucked) But this Q9C of mine is loaded with a bunch of prorams does fairly well, I went from the 755p to the BB8830 and now to the Q9C. I will try the windows treo 800 and also the Android if it comes in a Treo like factor. Of course will try the Palm 900 treo. I just read on one of the forums that Dell hired one of Motorola's outgoing executives.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider View Post
    I am generally a sane man...
    That run has ended. I am begging to be thrown into the PPR before I hurt myself. Visions of 800w's dance in my head... All else has become secondary.

Call 1-800-800 CRZY for help!!!!
    You can't compare Apple's pre-announcement to Palm's situation.

Apple had nothing to lose- they didn't have a smartphone in the market at that time. That's also why Palm announced the Foleo well before it was actually available. They had nothing to lose and stopped potential customers from pursuing other options in the interim.

If Palm lays an egg with the 800w, and the options for a GOOD KB-enabled Sprint WM device with enough RAM remain slim, I might seriously look at Android. This is ridiculous. CDMA Tilt anyone? As much as I HATED the 6700 form factor, I think I know a little more about WM now and may be able to compensate for not having an always exposed keyboard.

I need the extra storage on WM. The wx is a fine device, but I've reached a point now where I can't even consider 3rd party apps anymore. The built-in storage on my wx is nearly maxed out, and we all know that running apps off the card is not the most stable way to use WM. Most commercial apps are several megs and I haven't been able to experiment and load up the wx like I used to do with the p. The p also handled SD cards better.

Please, Palm, get us the 800w and make it a winner.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    The 800w will have the same memory configuration as the current HTC Touch by Sprint. 256MB Rom and 128MB Ram.

--James
    If the 800w/850 has GPS, wifi, 320x320, WM6.1, 128mb RAM, 256mb ROM, and a 400mhz+ processor, I probably won't be looking for a new device anytime soon after that. My Blackjack II is holding up fine, I miss WM Pro but the blackjack suits my needs with the GPS and extra memory.
    Any new word on the 800W? Just bought a Verizon 8830 BB off some guy for $50. I happened to walk in a VZ store to visit a rep I know and check out the 6900 and the BB's. She told me some guy just walked out wanting to sell his 8830 because he just got a new BB at work.

So that saves me a bit while I hope and wait for VZW to release the 800W or even make available the "6900 Dual" with the pull-down keyboard. Saw that at HTC's site. Same with the HTC Shift with Vista Business. I know it's big at 8" x 5", but it looks like a nice unit.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Everybody seems to be talking about the Treo 800. What about the Raphael? shouldnt that blow the 800 away. I'm looking forward to both.

Also curious.

Why hasnt the tilt been more successful? Doesnt seem very popular.
    You do realize this is the Treo 800w board...
    Quote Originally Posted by rhauer View Post
    Everybody seems to be talking about the Treo 800. What about the Raphael? shouldnt that blow the 800 away. I'm looking forward to both.

Also curious.

Why hasnt the tilt been more successful? Doesnt seem very popular.
    The sliders and front-facing keyboards are very different devices.

About the Tilt not being popular, think on this: HTC sold 3 million Touch, Touch Cruise and Touch Duals. They sold more than 11 million devices. That means their sliders (Wing, Mongul and Tilt) and a few other models sold the other 8 million. I think the Tilt has been very successful indeed, as one can see by the vibrancy of the user community on XDA-developers.com

Surur
    Tilt is one of the highest rated devices on CNET for example also. Better than the Mogul imo, just useless to me since it's AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The sliders and front-facing keyboards are very different devices.

About the Tilt not being popular, think on this: HTC sold 3 million Touch, Touch Cruise and Touch Duals. They sold more than 11 million devices. That means their sliders (Wing, Mongul and Tilt) and a few other models sold the other 8 million. I think the Tilt has been very successful indeed, as one can see by the vibrancy of the user community on XDA-developers.com

Surur
    I think 11 million devices including the ODM and OEM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    I think 11 million devices including the ODM and OEM.
    HTC's ODM business has really reduced, to less than 30% of their devices. In many cases the ODM devices remain recognizably HTC, e.g. the Tilt or the MDA IV.

Surur
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Sorry. I'm an *****. I didn't realize it was an 800 forum. I should have because this is what my company is getting me. Personally, after leaving 100yrs with Palm and going to the WM side with a Tilt. I am reallY!!! interested to see the HTC Raphael before I sign on for the 800. Better screen will drive my decision.
    Seems that anything is better then a Palm OS phone. Even Palm doesn't want to release anything but a WM phone. WS is downgrading Palm and not even the news of the NEW 800w can change WS Sell tag on Palm. the 4 horsemen is headed towards Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmoguy View Post
    Seems that anything is better then a Palm OS phone. Even Palm doesn't want to release anything but a WM phone. WS is downgrading Palm and not even the news of the NEW 800w can change WS Sell tag on Palm. the 4 horsemen is headed towards Palm.
    I was wondering about some analysts downgrading palm to "sell." That's utter stupidity if you ask me. Here's why:

Palm has been trolling in the $5 - $6 Range since January 2007. So if you didn't sell before then, you've taken your hit. If you bought AFTER then, why on earth would you sell now? There's HUGE events in the pipeline, and the chance of actually turning a nice (albeit (and I hope not) short-term) profit seem pretty good to me. The smartphone market is expected to grow exponentially, and this appears to be a solid MS-Exchange friendly device. In other words, there's plenty of room for Palm to continue to exist.

I think the chances of Palm optimizing WinMo to make it fast and clean on the 800/850 are good. At it's best, it will be accepted with open arms and the stock will blow up. I think at *worst* we'll see a modest blip around launch, followed by a return to the 5-6's, and a bigger rise with the release of Nova.

In summary: The Horsemen thing seems a little premature to me. Where it'll get interesting is @ launch time. Then I think will be the time for some intestinal fortitude.

Full disclosure: 1)I'm not a WS analyst. 2) I bought Palm Inc. stock myself with this rationale.

Riz
    Last edited by RizP; 05/24/2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: grammar!
    Quote Originally Posted by RizP View Post
    Full disclosure: 1)I'm not a WS analyst. 2) I bought Palm Inc. stock myself with this rationale.
    Riz
    Good luck with that! (As my 15-year-old niece would say.)

My goodness, I hope you are not serious... (As I would say.)

What are you smoking? Crack? (As Warren Buffet would say.)

We all need at least one turd in our portfolio. (As Alan Greenspan would say.)

and a bigger rise with the release of Nova.
    Palm has to hit nova out the park... unfortunately, it may not matter IF google can produce Android to simply replace palm and nova. I think people forget about google. If google hits it big and releases a ton of devices with a great OS, I don't know if palm will have any breathing room.... and google will basically kill palm in one swipe.

Palm can't live on selling only WM devices... not the way they are currently managed. Between google and HTC, it is a rocky road for palm. If google stumbles (which there is more than a good chance they will) palm can knock it out the gate with nova. Unfortunately, we won't know that until no earlier than April 2009.

Google has a lot of work to do with their os, devices, and service providers... lots of work...

We won't even mention if someone produces a "treo look-a-like" that is released on all service providers... and is a great device with much better specs than palm's devices... and cheaper.

Palm is on thin ice.... and it is 34 degrees, with more sun expected tomorrow.
    Last edited by theog; 05/25/2008 at 01:38 AM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Heh. I'm a Buffet fan.

Anyway, Palm has a long way to go before their really in trouble. They've got solid brand name recognition, and they've got a great device. Of course they can screw that up just as easy as any other company, but as long as they regularly produce devices like the Centro (which, I might remind you, was hugely popular despite the ancient OS) they will continue to do well.

I don't think Palm's stock is going to explode, but as the market continues to grow Palm has the opportunity to do well. Even with Android if Palm continues with a steady release of solid well-liked devices, they will do well. That's a big IF at this point, but Palm has a pretty solid launching pad with the Centro, if they choose to take advantage of it.

Of course they could just as easily do a faceplant into the dirt.