Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122 LastLast
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I feel a silly season on the horizon
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    So who is in the PPR this time?
    I've got at least a foot in the door. Depends on whether I panic and go for a Mogul. I recently dropped back from my 650 to my old 600 (which surprised me by working perfectly after being off for two years in 'battery disconnect' mode) to figure out if the signal problem I was having was due to the phone or Sprint. Now that I know it's the phone, I carry both the 650 and 600 'cause I have some apps on the 650 that I can't live without, and I don't like dropped calls.

At the very least, I really ought to wait until June 20.

Patience is a Treo 800w.
    Who's flying this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    I feel a silly season on the horizon
    I think I'm beyond silly season. Ludicrous season?
    Who's flying this thing?
    From the 700p PPR . . . . . . . . fast forward 2 years. . . . . . . 800w . . . . . . . GPS, WiFi and Styletap? . . . . . . . dragging along my 10 year PalmOS 3rd party library of apps . . . . .

I won't be waiting another 12 months for my 900p!

I'm definitely in the PPR.

Funny thing is this, I have had the opportunity to play with the XV6800 for an extended period (benefit of my job) and there is so much that I like about it. In fact, I would get it right now except for two things.... I find that I really, really like the keyboard on the front (Treo phones). I'm surprised at how much I miss it. Wow. Also, the lack of sufficient RAM is a PITA.

Now the 800w should address both of these issues. But one thing bugs me here. People have been able to hack the XV6800 to get to the GPS. My money is on the belief that when Verizon finally releases the patch to the XV6800 that Sprint has already received, that they will NOT enable GPS for the users. They'll lock it up like they did on the 8830 and the 8130. That pisses me off.

Including GPS is a big feature to me. So I can always get GPS on the XV6800 because people hack that phone like crazy because of all the leaked ROM images. But the 800W is likely to be like the 700WX. There's hardly any hacking of that ROM in comparison.

So hack away with the XV6800 and get everything except the front-facing keyboard and deal with the lower memory, or wait for the 800W and likely resolve the first two issues but miss out on the GPS.

Only time will tell...... hence.... PPR.

Tell, then, I'm hanging with my 700P.... still...
    Last edited by SteveNYC; 03/17/2008 at 09:06 PM.
    What is PPR?

I want the treo form factor with GPS. If it doesn't come, I'll be going to ATT and looking at the Sony Xperia or trying to import some other gsm phone.
    During the 6 month long 'Silly Season', while we waited for some official word from Palm on the release of a 700p . . . . . several of us were committed to the Pink Padded Room (PPR) on the forum.

Several threads of great length testify to the depths of that Silly Season.

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    I'm definitely in the PPR.

Funny thing is this, I have had the opportunity to play with the XV6800 for an extended period (benefit of my job) and there is so much that I like about it. In fact, I would get it right now except for two things.... I find that I really, really like the keyboard on the front (Treo phones). I'm surprised at how much I miss it. Wow. Also, the lack of sufficient RAM is a PITA.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    Tell, then, I'm hanging with my 700P.... still...
    I'm right there with you... though on Sprint with my 650 (well, my 600 at the moment... my 650 was dropping calls).
    I also played with an XV6800 at a VZW kiosk in Circuit City, and I found I really liked it (though I like the button arrangement on the Mogul more), but the lack of sufficient RAM is definitely a concern. The keyboard... well, I think I'll be OK. I even like how challenging it is to power on the device since the power button is fairly recessed.
    Who's flying this thing?
    From the 700p PPR . . . . . . . . fast forward 2 years. . . . . . . 800w . . . . . . . GPS, WiFi and Styletap? . . . . . . . dragging along my 10 year PalmOS 3rd party library of apps . . . . .

I won't be waiting another 12 months for my 900p!

But Perry what about our Android phones, do we go thru 2-3 phones this year?

I left the BB 8830 last month (for the very able Motorola Q9C) and I will go to the 800w with style tap and will try the Android when released in Treo like factor (next year I will try the 900w when released and ebay the phones that do not meet my expectations. Is June 20 a real date now (that is a long way from last Sep when we thought we might get the 800w.

ANY CHANCE THIS PHONE WILL ALSO SUPPORT WIMAX?????
    During the 6 month long 'Silly Season', while we waited for some official word from Palm on the release of a 700p . . . . . several of us were committed to the Pink Padded Room (PPR) on the forum.

Cheers, Perry
    I am generally a sane man...
    That run has ended. I am begging to be thrown into the PPR before I hurt myself. Visions of 800w's dance in my head... All else has become secondary.

Cheers, Perry
    Indeed... it was kinda like the Pepto-Bismol version of The Boston Molasses Disaster, only without any deaths that I know of. I avidly watched from the sidelines.

Might I also add, that Perry rode that wave like no other.
    Who's flying this thing?
    Silly season for the 800w has been relatively mild. Hope to see more excitement as the release approaches.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    For me, it's hard to get too silly about the 800w...I guess I'm too much of a realist. I bought the 700w when it first came out and then the 700wx was supposed to be right around the corner....too bad Sprint got it, then it took several more months before VZW got it....
    and we've been talking about the 800w for OVER A YEAR.

This is ridiculous. By the time it gets here it will be such an antiquated device....

I'm just frustrated it has taken this long and Palm still hasn't gotten their head out of their rear.
    And thus the term 'Siily Season' . . . . . . . . the interminable wait for the obvious . . . . . . . . with the fervent almost lost hope for some 'WOW' factor . . . . . . . .
    Ah....Ok. Then I am silly. Thanks.
    <Rant On> I'm curious about the market pressure differences in Europe and Asia. I understand Europe with all GSM and unlocked phones - the pressure on carriers and handset builders must be tremendous to innovate and release or die. Japan, must be similar with their version of CDMA.

Do US carriers just think we are all cows lazily grazing in the handset pasture content to get locked, discounted handsets from them whenever they decide to release them? Then when the do manage to crap-out a new handset - Oh, God - the horror. They have terrible performance, terrible stability, shortage of RAM, crappy battery life. The 6800 from VZW is a doggy with it's stock ROM. This IS a great country for many things. Sadly cell handsets and services aren't one of them.

<Rant Off>

RMD
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    Indeed... it was kinda like the Pepto-Bismol version of The Boston Molasses Disaster, only without any deaths that I know of. I avidly watched from the sidelines.

Might I also add, that Perry rode that wave like no other.

Thanks, that was an interesting 6 months. . . . . . . . well, while we are on the topic . . . . any, to remain utterly confidential, sources want to email me and spill the goods on the coming 800w specs and release date? I will only say that they came to me in a PPR dream. . . . . . . just as I did then.
    Well, I just got some bad news. I talked to our corporate Telecom guy about the VZW Treo 800. He said - "Never". He's under nda and wouldn't spill his guts, but said "serious performance issues".

I hope it ain't so, but until it sees the light of day, we will not truly know.

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor View Post
    Well, I just got some bad news. I talked to our corporate Telecom guy about the VZW Treo 800. He said - "Never". He's under nda and wouldn't spill his guts, but said "serious performance issues".

I hope it ain't so, but until it sees the light of day, we will not truly know.

Bob Duckworth
    Wow....talk about silly and emotional rollercoasters.....I sure was stoked the other day and hopeful for the future....now I'm certainly depressed....enough already. Palm/VZW/Sprint....just spill the beans and release it.....arrrghhhhhhh
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor View Post

I hope it ain't so, but until s t sees the light of day, we will not truly know.

Bob Duckworth
    If this is True Palm needs to be in ICU, how come Motorola is able to pack so much in a small package (Motorola Q9C) It doesn't have wifi or touchscreen but it is a strong phone. We have the android on the horizon, with the 900 treo to follow. My son's Muti Touch does fairly well but no keyboard; apple announced their flag ship 6 months before delivery why can't Palm do the same? If the Iphone were to be on Sprint and with a real keyboard I would switch. apple has made mention of a flip Iphone. Of course Palm is doing well with the Centro but that is not a "Flagship" product.