Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 422
  1.    #321  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    Once again you and the article you quoted in Wiki are incorrect. It's not an international standard its a european one. I don't need to reread what you quoted. Why don't you reread it since it says it in your own post.

    If it troubles your brain so much I'll go into Wikipedia and remove the word International standard and replace it with the word European so it's accurate.
    You can edit whatever you want on Wikipedia, I don't really care and my brain is not troubled in the least, thank you for your concern.

    I never disagreed that the standard was developed in Europe, of course it was.

    However it is not just used in Europe, it is used world wide, same standard.
    According to the GSM Association (gsmworld.com)
    GSM (Global System for Mobile communications) is the technology that underpins most of the world's mobile phone networks. The GSM platform is a hugely successful wireless technology and an unprecedented story of global achievement and cooperation. GSM has become the world's fastest growing communications technology of all time and the leading global mobile standard, spanning 214 countries.

    Global System for Mobile communications certainly sounds like bigger than just Europe to me.. 214 countries sounds like worldwide to me too.
    As far back as 1992 is when it grew from Europe, when "Telstra Australia becomes the first non-European operator to sign the GSM Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)" (gsmworld.com)

    I won't nitpick with you anymore, I agree it was developed in Europe for Europe telecommunications..

    gsmworld.com has it's history correct and states that in 1982 "Groupe Speciale Mobile (GSM) is formed by the Confederation of European Posts and Telecommunications (CEPT) to design a pan-European mobile technology"

    Of course you have chosen a discrepancy which does not address my original point of contention which was that the TDMA standard (D-AMPS) used in the US by the old AT&T and others is in no way an American "flavor" of GSM.

    That point is true, and was my only point.
  2. #322  
    Again TDMA and GSM are in fact cousins. Especially compared to CMDA.
    I even went to Wiki for you again--Here.

    Comparison with other multiple-access schemes.
    In radio systems, TDMA is usually used alongside Frequency-division multiple access (FDMA) and Frequency division duplex (FDD); the combination is referred to as FDMA/TDMA/FDD. This is the case in both GSM and IS-136 for example. Exceptions to this include the DECT and PHS micro-cellular systems, UMTS-TDD UMTS variant, and China's TD-SCDMA, which use Time Division duplexing, where different time slots are allocated for the base station and handsets on the same frequency.

    The only difference is GSM uses one extra method of dividing up the channels. CDMA and GSM and TDMA (IS-95) and IS-661 are totally different and would not be characterized as cousin technologies.

    Next time you write something on the forums I would suggest you do some research as you are wasting eveyone's time with misinformation including sadly your own.

    Quote Originally Posted by howiecam View Post
    You can edit whatever you want on Wikipedia, I don't really care and my brain is not troubled in the least, thank you for your concern.

    I never disagreed that the standard was developed in Europe, of course it was.

    However it is not just used in Europe, it is used world wide, same standard.
    According to the GSM Association (gsmworld.com)
    GSM (Global System for Mobile communications) is the technology that underpins most of the world's mobile phone networks. The GSM platform is a hugely successful wireless technology and an unprecedented story of global achievement and cooperation. GSM has become the world's fastest growing communications technology of all time and the leading global mobile standard, spanning 214 countries.

    Global System for Mobile communications certainly sounds like bigger than just Europe to me.. 214 countries sounds like worldwide to me too.
    As far back as 1992 is when it grew from Europe, when "Telstra Australia becomes the first non-European operator to sign the GSM Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)" (gsmworld.com)

    I won't nitpick with you anymore, I agree it was developed in Europe for Europe telecommunications..

    gsmworld.com has it's history correct and states that in 1982 "Groupe Speciale Mobile (GSM) is formed by the Confederation of European Posts and Telecommunications (CEPT) to design a pan-European mobile technology"

    Of course you have chosen a discrepancy which does not address my original point of contention which was that the TDMA standard (D-AMPS) used in the US by the old AT&T and others is in no way an American "flavor" of GSM.

    That point is true, and was my only point.
  3.    #323  
    wow.. if only blazer formatted wikipedia correctly I could've read that article and avoided you ignoring the main content of my posts and instead getting off on a EU vs. the world tangent.
  4.    #324  
    BTW, don't know which company which is now T-mobile you worked for, but thank you for choosing GSM as the standard.

    GSM is the reason I chose Powertel back in 1998 for my first phone and have always been impressed by the level of customer care provided.

    Now us T-mobile customers just need that 3g upgrade to happen quickly! Well, that and cutting edge phones.. (with unlocked phones, that is not as important of course)
  5. #325  
    What the hell does all this have to do with future Treos? Are we all pretty sure their won't be any? At least anytime soon and then nothing really new.
  6. #326  
    That pretty much captures it, mobilebiz. lol.
  7. #327  
    Wow and here I thought maybe all these new posts would have something to do with the 800w...
  8. #328  
    Hey Guys!..

    I know its great to have an audience for the most boring, off-topic debate around town, but seriously, take your bull**** to private messages and leave the people who were exctied to read about the 800w out of it.

    Happy Holidays!
  9. airibis's Avatar
    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    #329  
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterXtreme View Post
    Hey Guys!..

    I know its great to have an audience for the most boring, off-topic debate around town, but seriously, take your bull**** to private messages and leave the people who were exctied to read about the 800w out of it.

    Happy Holidays!
    I applaud this post
  10. #330  
    Quote Originally Posted by howiecam View Post
    wow.. if only blazer formatted wikipedia correctly I could've read that article and avoided you ignoring the main content of my posts and instead getting off on a EU vs. the world tangent.
    You know, blazer formats wikipedia just fine in fast mode. Just click the little lightning bolt and switch!
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  11. #331  
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterXtreme View Post
    Hey Guys!..

    I know its great to have an audience for the most boring, off-topic debate around town, but seriously, take your bull**** to private messages and leave the people who were exctied to read about the 800w out of it.

    Happy Holidays!


    BTW, I find it helps to add certain posters to my Ignore list who have a reputation for going OT and who don't contribute anything to TC. Makes browsing forums much easier...

    And now back to the Treo 800w Rumors....!

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12. #332  
    Without GPS I won't be getting the next Treo. Its a feature that is just too convenient not to have (coming from my AT&T Tilt).
  13. #333  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post


    BTW, I find it helps to add certain posters to my Ignore list who have a reputation for going OT and who don't contribute anything to TC. Makes browsing forums much easier...

    And now back to the Treo 800w Rumors....!
    Mal,

    I am not so sure about the form factor that was floating around, does it look like it could be centro thin? Even if it were, what does that say for battery life? We know power users need that 3300 mah from seido...

    -Darth
  14. #334  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Without GPS I won't be getting the next Treo. Its a feature that is just too convenient not to have (coming from my AT&T Tilt).
    Well, the Moto Q q9c has GPS now on Sprint and the Mogul and Touch are getting ROM updates to enable theirs. I think there is a good chance to that it will have GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Mal,

    I am not so sure about the form factor that was floating around, does it look like it could be centro thin? Even if it were, what does that say for battery life? We know power users need that 3300 mah from seido...

    -Darth
    The "thin as a Centro" was reported I believe form someone in this thread who has information on it. It wouldn't surprise me as the Centro is not the thinnest device but it's also hardly thick, imo.

    Battery life is tough to judge because the technology has changed so much. So even with a smaller battery, you should be able to get better battery life than the current configuration on the 700 series. I can say the Centro's measly battery (1150mah) feels to get the same life out of my 700wx's 2400mah battery. So I wouldn't worry too much about that at this point.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  15. #335  
    Mal doesn't battery life also relate to what OS running? I would assume that Palm would be less resource heavy and such leading to using less battery that WM? So wouldn't a fair comparison be the Centro vs the 700P or 700wx vs the 500?
  16. #336  
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Mal doesn't battery life also relate to what OS running? I would assume that Palm would be less resource heavy and such leading to using less battery that WM? So wouldn't a fair comparison be the Centro vs the 700P or 700wx vs the 500?
    I suppose, though if you look at the talk-times for the 700p (4.5 hrs) versus the 700wx (5 hrs) it actually goes in the opposite direction of what you may predict.

    It'll come down to hardware and ways of optimizing power usage. I'm hoping (though not expecting) for such things as an ambient light sensor, like the Moto Q9 series, which can make a difference, as well as processor, RAM, etc. Basically the newer, the better.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  17. #337  
    Hmm I guess I made the wrong inference.
  18. #338  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    <snip...> Basically the newer, the better.
    At the risk of being put on Mal's Ignore list , I have a little anecdote about this axiom...

    About 10 years ago my friend got pulled over while borrowing my car (which was an early 80's Mustang with a couple of dents from previous owners) by a police officer who took the speedometer reading of his car while catching up to my friend and said my friend was speeding. My friend, who had seen the police officer first, was definitely not speeding, and explained that to the officer. The officer said "are you telling me that the brand new speedometer in my brand new car is wrong?"

    "There's a difference between new and good, officer."

    My friend tells me that when the cop was back in his car he could've sworn he heard laughter coming over the radio.
    Who's flying this thing?
  19. #339  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

    Battery life is tough to judge because the technology has changed so much. So even with a smaller battery, you should be able to get better battery life than the current configuration on the 700 series. I can say the Centro's measly battery (1150mah) feels to get the same life out of my 700wx's 2400mah battery. So I wouldn't worry too much about that at this point.
    The most important factor is the silicon not this other stuff. Getting a 3g radio on a power efficient piece of silicon is the hardest part and most important determinant of battery life. Size of battery helps of course but there is only so much that an be done there. And the features in the OS help as well also but you need a good silicon design most of all. That's why Apple is taking a while on a 3g Iphone.
  20. #340  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    At the risk of being put on Mal's Ignore list , I have a little anecdote about this axiom...

    "There's a difference between new and good, officer."

    My friend tells me that when the cop was back in his car he could've sworn he heard laughter coming over the radio.
    lol

    True, true. But to clarify, I was really referring to the chipsets that Qualcomm put out, as well as all the "radio management" chips involved. At this point, we just don't know the guts so it's hard to predict.

    It's fairly easy to assume that with
    • more RAM
    • higher screen resolution
    • RevA radio
    • Wifi
    • faster processor
    • etc.

    You'll use more battery. Now, between chipset improvements and OS tweaking for power management, which vary from OEM to OEM, it will all effect how much power to you get. I haven't been following chipset and processor news, so I don't even know the realm of possibilities here either.

    Just have to wait and find out

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter

Posting Permissions