Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 422
  1. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #221  
    I waited and waited for a Treo with antenna less and it never came. I must have WM6, but 755w is only available for ATT and I dont like their plans at all.

    So I got the Sprint Mogul. I like it.

    Along with the SERO, unlimited data and text for $30, I am so happy.
  2. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #222  
    Just saw this over at PDA247 http://www.clieuk.co.uk/forum/showth...threadid=14327

    They are discussing how it seems to have design similarities with Palm's latest offerings as well as the old Tungsten C.

    Thoughts?
    Last edited by nlowhor; 11/15/2007 at 02:35 PM. Reason: mistyped word
  3. #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Just saw this over at PDA247 http://www.clieuk.co.uk/forum/showth...threadid=14327

    They are discussing how it seems to have design similarities with Palm's latest offerings as well as the old Tungsten C.

    Thoughts?
    It's been discussed and I don't think it's a Palm device or the 800w.

    For one, it's a 320x240 screen and is runs WM Standard, not Pro. No way is the 800w Standard and we already know it'll be 320x320.

    It's also already launched on Telus as the HTC S640. So that speculation is a few months behind already...
    Last edited by Malatesta; 11/15/2007 at 03:01 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #224  
    Well bummer. Just starving for a picture or something here.
  5. jas o's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    #225  
    This is off the memory subject some but Birghthand just posted a story that Verizon just got FCC approval for the HTC Iris. This is no big deal, but one of the listed features that its claims to have is WIFI. Is it me or does the IRIS look an awfully lot like the new Palm form factor???

    Anyway back to subject. Maybe there is some hope for all the people who really feel that WIFI is must have.

    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13496

    PS has anyone been getting thread e-mail notifications lately? I haven't received any for about a week. Don't know if it is me or the system.
    Last edited by Jas O; 11/15/2007 at 03:01 PM.
  6. #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yup, that would be awesome. Apply the Dell model to feature/smartphones.

    This is what I think: it'll probably will happen, but not for another couple of years.
    I think it will be a lot longer than that. Dell and Gateway barely made it work and that market is quite a bit larger than the pda market.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
  7. #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    This is off the memory subject some but Birghthand just posted a story that Verizon just got FCC approval for the HTC Iris. This is no big deal, but one of the listed features that its claims to have is WIFI. Is it me or does the IRIS look an awfully lot like the new Palm form factor???

    Anyway back to subject. Maybe there is some hope for all the people who really feel that WIFI is must have.

    http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13496

    PS has anyone been getting thread e-mail notifications lately? I haven't received any for about a week. Don't know if it is me or the system.
    It does look Palm-ish and the Iris looks real nice (better than the Q, imo)

    But someone needs to correct Ed, he says that this Verizon Iris
    ...uses the same general design as another Verizon model, the Motorola Q9m, but offers features not in that smartphone, like Windows Mobile Professional and Wi-Fi.
    That's false, it's WM Standard.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It would be, but I'm also thinking, dare I say, unnecessary?

    Think, with Palm's tweaks to the OS, you'd probably have nearly 200mb of usable RAM.

    It sounds good on paper, but if I remember correctly, RAM uses power to maintain info that's stored in it. The more RAM, the more juice. Besides saving money for OEMs, it's also a way to maintain better battery management. (Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong on this).

    I would think 128mb of RAM, which would probably still give you near 80mb of available (once again factoring in Palm's OS tweaks), would be sufficient. Plus the usual model for memory today on WM devices is 256/128 (ROM/RAM).
    Mal,

    Unless I wrote it down wrong from my conversation, I understood 256/256 (ROM/RAM). I've been known to be wrong before.

    As far as who decides the build of the phone, technically are decided by Palm. Sprint asks for a feature and Palm says yes or no. Conversely, Palm included true GPS in the 800w (or so I'm told) but Sprint is looking like they will only enable aGPS. It would seem that it goes both ways.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul


    Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
  9. #229  
    Jrinehart, thanks for all the info you've been giving us. Do you think the screen will stay at 2.6" like previous treos or will they shrink it like the centro?
  10. #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinehart View Post
    Mal,

    Unless I wrote it down wrong from my conversation, I understood 256/256 (ROM/RAM). I've been known to be wrong before.

    As far as who decides the build of the phone, technically are decided by Palm. Sprint asks for a feature and Palm says yes or no. Conversely, Palm included true GPS in the 800w (or so I'm told) but Sprint is looking like they will only enable aGPS. It would seem that it goes both ways.
    Fantastic and I appreciate your time and clarification.

    Then I'll take it as true: 256/256 mb. That is quite fascinating and certainly a first. At least they'll avoid repeating their 700w problem and the current screwup by HTC on the Mogul.

    About the GPS/aGPS: also valuable information. I would love to be a fly on the wall during these meetings

    I have some news about Sprint, aGPS and WM devices that will be posted on WMExperts front page tomorrow. What you say makes sense from what I think will happen in Q1 2008 on Sprint. Bummer though, would have been nice to just have a SirfIII chip in there.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11. #231  
    What is sprint's problem with enabling wifi and gps on their devices!!!!???

    They would make unquestionably more money by allowing these capabilities as more customers want them now.

    Their stance on this is just staggeringly counterintuitive, in my opinion.
  12. #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    What is sprint's problem with enabling wifi and gps on their devices!!!!???

    They would make unquestionably more money by allowing these capabilities as more customers want them now.

    Their stance on this is just staggeringly counterintuitive, in my opinion.
    Its just greed plain and simple. They want your subcription to data plans and navigation systems. They feel the added customers from allowing these features is far less revenue than forcing their existing customer base to pay extra (and sadly enough they are probably right). This is their last ditch effort to extort money out of their customers before Google Android opens everything up and forces them to stop nickel and diming.
  13. #233  
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    What is sprint's problem with enabling wifi and gps on their devices!!!!???

    They would make unquestionably more money by allowing these capabilities as more customers want them now.

    Their stance on this is just staggeringly counterintuitive, in my opinion.
    Carriers are not in this to make you happy, they want to make money. Enabling GPS is enabling a *free* service to which you can go away from the carrier to purchase maps and programs to work along with it. Its a loss for them, so why should they support it.

    jrinehart, thanks for your insights as well.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  14. #234  
    I posted a piece on this (aGPS/GPS) today on WMExperts:

    "Sprint to Finally Switch On gpsOne for its Windows Mobile Stable?"

    My feeling: we'll be able to use some 3rd party apps like Google Maps and hopefully even Windows Live Search with it, after all Sprint + Microsoft entered into a partnership for that service awhile back. Actually, being WM, nothing stays locked down for long.

    So I think that might be why the 800w will be aGPS (plus I think to keep the device cost down, even though many of us would be willing to pay for a SirfIII chipset). In the past, that was equivalent of saying "no gps" but I think in 2008 it will finally translated into a meaningful feature.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 11/16/2007 at 09:25 AM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Just saw this over at PDA247 http://www.clieuk.co.uk/forum/showth...threadid=14327

    They are discussing how it seems to have design similarities with Palm's latest offerings as well as the old Tungsten C.

    Thoughts?


    This is HTC Iris...

    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/21/h...nt-cdma-touch/
  16. #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by untouchablez View Post
    Jrinehart, thanks for all the info you've been giving us. Do you think the screen will stay at 2.6" like previous treos or will they shrink it like the centro?
    It will have the same 2D dimensions as the 700wx but will be thin like the Centro. It will not have the small Centro keyboard but rather the full size keyboard currently on the 700wx.


    If the GPS in the 800w is like that in the Ovation U727 that will be fine with me. The Sprint Locator is pretty neat.


    And, you're welcome
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul


    Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
  17. #237  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinehart View Post
    It will have the same 2D dimensions as the 700wx but will be thin like the Centro. It will not have the small Centro keyboard but rather the full size keyboard currently on the 700wx.


    If the GPS in the 800w is like that in the Ovation U727 that will be fine with me. The Sprint Locator is pretty neat.


    And, you're welcome
    Thanks for the info J. It's good to be hearing about specs...that's a good sign that palm isn't gonna die.
    I was kinda hopeful that they would expand the screen a bit more but hey I'll take it. I am fine with either aGPS or sat based as long as I can use google maps without subscribing to sprint for it.

    Do you know if they are still planning for Q1 or is it possible we might get this December?
  18. #238  
    Well, Palm says that it isn't going to be available until Feburary of '08. That was what ... 3 weeks ago or so when I heard.

    Funny story about how I found that out directly from Palm. When I have more time I will tell you guys what happened I will give you a hint, it was about a certain photo that I posted .....
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul


    Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
  19. #239  
    One would hope they get it out by December...I am in dire dire need of an upgrade.
  20. #240  
    if this phone is out before March that would be pushing it. If VZW gets it before end of Q3 2008 I would be very surprised.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

    Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)

Posting Permissions