Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Palm needs Terry Tate - Office Linebacker to go work for them.
    LMAO I second that.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    LMAO I second that.
    Terry Tate at Palm HQ

(After slamming Colligan to the ground, immobilizing him)

"You bring the Foleo, I bring the Polio! There is no cure for being stupid!"

(After seeing some internal staff brag about about the Treo line, he shoulder checks them into a wall)

"I'm gonna Sudoku your *** back to the drawing board! Thin is in, baby!"

(After tackling a board member at the annual meeting)

"See, that's what it's gonna feel like when Android drops on ya"

(After Colligan present the "future" Linux platform, Terry grabs him and slams him into the wall)

"You say Unix, but I see Eunuchs! Bring it like a man Eddy, before this company is Deady!"

"Oh, Hi Janice..."
    Classic!!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by ttoppins View Post
    You can add an experience I had this weekend to the rumor mill. I was at a bar this past weekend watching some college football and happened to meet a Sprint corporate marketing rep. She claimed that the 800w would be out "around Christmas time". We'll see. Sprint needs a new "wow" device before Christmas IMHO.
    Unless she considers Feburary "around Christmas time" then there is no Christmas release. Otherwise, I wouldn't hold too much weight in what someone says in a "bar."

As of today, the GPS chip by Qualcomm is still undecided and it's almost mid November. No way it's coming before or on Christmas.

By the way, the Touch rocks as well as the Q9c.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinehart View Post
    Unless she considers Feburary "around Christmas time" then there is no Christmas release. Otherwise, I wouldn't hold too much weight in what someone says in a "bar."

As of today, the GPS chip by Qualcomm is still undecided and it's almost mid November. No way it's coming before or on Christmas.

Good info, keep us posted

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter

At this point, what would be "Wow"?

- 320x320 screen?
    - EVDO Rev A.
    - Wifi?
    - BT 2.0 (not really a wow but and expectation)
    - More RAM?
    - Faster Processor?
    - Thinner?

At this point, unless the Treo 800 is as thin as the Touch, and has all the above, it's going to be tough saying "wow".
    320x320, WiFi, and WM6 through Verizon would be enough to make me purchase the Treo 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    At this point, what would be "Wow"?

- 320x320 screen?
    - EVDO Rev A.
    - Wifi?
    - BT 2.0 (not really a wow but and expectation)
    - More RAM?
    - Faster Processor?
    - Thinner?

At this point, unless the Treo 800 is as thin as the Touch, and has all the above, it's going to be tough saying "wow".
    320x320: Yes
    Wifi: ATM no
    More RAM? Yes, 256mb
    Faster Processor? ATM, Yes 400mhz
    Thinner? Yes, half way between the Touch and 755p

Lots of things are still speculation on the 800 and there is still time for several key components to change but Sprint has asked for the above and so far they are getting most of what they ask for.

We wont know anything until a month before launch at the earliest I would imagine.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Wifi: ATM no

...but Sprint has asked for the above and so far they are getting most of what they ask for...
    So out of curiosity, who decides/requests the Wifi feature? There's been a lot of debate whether it is Sprint or the OEM that determines if it has Wifi or not. Sprint seems consistent in only having one WM device with Wifi, even though surely other devices could have it (like the new Touch).

And the 256 RAM...are you sure that's RAM and not ROM?

256 RAM would be insane!
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    256 RAM would be insane!
    It would be, but I'm also thinking, dare I say, unnecessary?

Think, with Palm's tweaks to the OS, you'd probably have nearly 200mb of usable RAM.

It sounds good on paper, but if I remember correctly, RAM uses power to maintain info that's stored in it. The more RAM, the more juice. Besides saving money for OEMs, it's also a way to maintain better battery management. (Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I would think 128mb of RAM, which would probably still give you near 80mb of available (once again factoring in Palm's OS tweaks), would be sufficient. Plus the usual model for memory today on WM devices is 256/128 (ROM/RAM).

good point... I'd imagine after a point the additional RAM may not have as huge a benefit.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It would be, but I'm also thinking, dare I say, unnecessary?

Think, with Palm's tweaks to the OS, you'd probably have nearly 200mb of usable RAM.

It sounds good on paper, but if I remember correctly, RAM uses power to maintain info that's stored in it. The more RAM, the more juice. Besides saving money for OEMs, it's also a way to maintain better battery management. (Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I would think 128mb of RAM, which would probably still give you near 80mb of available (once again factoring in Palm's OS tweaks), would be sufficient. Plus the usual model for memory today on WM devices is 256/128 (ROM/RAM).
    Mo RAM Mo Betta! I'll get an extra battery :-)

You'll never need more tha 64K....where did I hear that.

I bet 512MB and 1GB are not that far off....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    good point... I'd imagine after a point the additional RAM may not have as huge a benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Mo RAM Mo Betta! I'll get an extra battery :-)

You'll never need more tha 64K....where did I hear that.

I bet 512MB and 1GB are not that far off....
    Well, I guess. lol

I'm kind of with Jag though on this one. The device won't be any faster than current devices with that much RAM, it just means you can have 30 programs openend at once--but how many do that?

As far as the 64k issue, the difference here is WM6 and the programs coming out for it are not anything different from before i.e. Opera doesn't now require 20mb of RAM whereas yesterday it used 2mb.

I think with Photon, we'll have to definitely revisit this issue of RAM and the 64k argument will definitely matter.

I'm just thinking from own expereince on the 700wx: I regularly have 20+ of free RAM, so bumping that up by even 100mb seems a but unnecessary. But maybe others have vastly different experiences. It will definitely render any program management moot (hell, even memory leaks would be moot, lol) I would just hope the power trade off is not too great.

Then again, we still need confirmation we're talking about RAM and not ROM

Well, I guess. lol

I'm kind of with Jag though on this one. The device won't be any faster than current devices with that much RAM, it just means you can have 30 programs openend at once--but how many do that?

As far as the 64k issue, the difference here is WM6 and the programs coming out for it are not anything different from before i.e. Opera doesn't now require 20mb of RAM whereas yesterday it used 2mb.

I think with Photon, we'll have to definitely revisit this issue of RAM and the 64k argument will definitely matter.

I'm just thinking from own expereince on the 700wx: I regularly have 20+ of free RAM, so bumping that up by even 100mb seems a but unnecessary. But maybe others have vastly different experiences. It will definitely render any program management moot (hell, even memory leaks would be moot, lol) I would just hope the power trade off is not too great.

Then again, we still need confirmation we're talking about RAM and not ROM
    All good points. While extra RAM is always nice, I personally would like to see extra internal storage. Despite the fact that applications CAN be installed on SD cards, there are still plenty of applications that don't behave properly (or uninstall properly) if installed on an SD card versus internal storage.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 11/09/2007 at 04:26 PM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Terry Tate ....
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Wait so will this have WiFi or not?
    ... if I remember correctly, RAM uses power to maintain info that's stored in it. The more RAM, the more juice. Besides saving money for OEMs, it's also a way to maintain better battery management. (Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong on this).....
    Standard computer RAM looses it's data if the power is cut, unlike the Flash RAM used in PDAs. Otherwise, we'd be performing a Hard Reset every time we removed and reinserted the battery.

I think there is no such thing as too much RAM. Having to install fewer applications on the expansion card is a good thing. As is giving apps more room to install their various libraries for quicker access.

The short term limitation is processor speed and battery life. I don't know if those will ever be "solved", but they will surely improve. In the long term, the input/output limitations of mobile devices will be the hardest to solve. There is only so much you can do with so little.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelKernel View Post
    Standard computer RAM looses it's data if the power is cut, unlike the Flash RAM used in PDAs. Otherwise, we'd be performing a Hard Reset every time we removed and reinserted the battery.

I think there is no such thing as too much RAM. Having to install fewer applications on the expansion card is a good thing. As is giving apps more room to install their various libraries for quicker access.
    You're confusing ROM and RAM (and incidentally, that's exactly how WM2003 devices and earlier did behave! If your battery died, you lost everything--instant hard-reset. Hence the change in architecture in WM5)

ROM is where we store stuff, RAM is where it is run. The former survives a soft-reset (and a portion of that is factory written to survive a hard-reset); the latter is is temporary memory that does not survive a soft-reset.

Correct in that sense, having a ton of ROM is fine (although with 6gb + micro-SDHC cards, I think a lot of OEMs would rather pass that cost on to you, if you want it).

But there is a downside to having too much RAM, which is what we are focusing on. From Mike Calligaro of the WM Team Blog (and dated, we can bump up his numbers now to 128 RAM/256 ROM):
    RAM: very fast, but burns a lot of power.
    ROM: much slower, but burns very little power.

A "typical" WM5 device will have 64M of RAM. 32M of RAM is very reasonable, especially if the device uses "NOR" ROM (more on that later). Because of the power drain, there are downsides to having "too much" RAM though. And, for that reason, 128M of RAM is unlikely, but may be done for certain "power user" devices.

A "typical" WM5 device will have 64M of ROM as well. Other than cost, there's no downside to having more. So, assuming you can afford it, it'll never hurt to pick the model with more ROM.
    (link)

I also doubt it will have 256 RAM. If it does it is probably due to the fact that it will have WIFI, a hi-res screen, etc. Streaming a video from the Internet (esp via wifi) requires a good amount of memory, perhaps they are overshooting?

Manufacturers have been leaning TOWARDS performance and AWAY from battery life lately, I'd hate to see that trend continue