Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    What is the big hype about picture speed dials? I am 46 and I sure as hell am not going to ask my male coworkers if I can take their pictures for my phone. just thought I would say it like I see it.

Treo 700wx Alltel

Honda Valkyrie Rider
    Ya, probably not something that most use for coworkers. I used it for a bit on my Titan. I had about 5 pictures on my today screen,,,,,, my wife cell, oldest daughter, home, voice mail.....

Its kind of a cute idea but I deleted it because it just didn't seem to be to terribly useful. Also several times it caused me to make accidental calls.
    I use it on my WX all the time, I find it to be the fastest and safest way to dial a commonly dialed number while on the road, or just trying to pay attention to something else. I keep it in an SPB Shell tab so there are no 'accidental' calls, but I keep the tab open while on the road to make dialing easy.

I know it isn't for everyone, but that is my use for it.

Then again....anybody that uses Les for an avatar can't be ALL wrong!!!!! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    ...................Then again....anybody that uses Les for an avatar can't be ALL wrong!!!!! LOL
    I use to love WKRP....... I wonder how Bailey is looking nowadays???
    I have 10 picture speed dials (stock 5 plus SPB Mobile Shell 5). I don't use a picture of the person. I assign cars to people. Stuff I enjoy looking at. My best friend has a Vette so I have a picture dial Vette for him. I find picture dial to be faster than scrolling through contacts.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I have 10 picture speed dials (stock 5 plus SPB Mobile Shell 5). I don't use a picture of the person. I assign cars to people. Stuff I enjoy looking at. My best friend has a Vette so I have a picture dial Vette for him. I find picture dial to be faster than scrolling through contacts.
    That is what I liked about it. Its nice to tap one soft button right there on the today screen rather than hitting the 1st 3 letters of their name then using the 5way to pic the number you want. I would have kept it if it hadn't been for those accidental phone calls.
    I use iLauncher and have a tab for phone and SMS. Large icons with a name make it easy for me. Although, I do like the idea of car pictures for speed dials.
    I aint nobody, dork!
    Ill try to attach it again
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I use it on my 700wx. It is convenient, I would like to see a program that allows more of them on the Today screen.
    About how many does the stock program allow on the today screen?
    It have 5 pic dial spots on my "stock" today screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLERkpd View Post
    It have 5 pic dial spots on my "stock" today screen.
    I checked it out and added 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Will this work to add in an SPB Shell tab? I may just have to look into it!!

P.S. How much memory does it take?

P.P.S. I always had a crush on Bailey as a kid as well!!!!
    Last edited by syrguy1969; 03/05/2008 at 03:33 PM.
    I myself don't use SPBShell and as far as the speed dial app its already on the wx. I posted it because some users of other devices who read these forums might not have it as a stock app. If you are asking because you have a device that does not have this out of the box..... well then the size of the app is automatically tagged on the file when its uploaded to the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    How did you add the other 4?
    It seems to be a normal function on my device. I may have misunderstood so I have attached a pic. If I save more that the screen will allow in a line then there is a arrow over button that I access with the 5way dpad or by tapping it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks,
    I will check it out.
    No. 1's a pic of my family for the home phone, no. 2's a pic of my wife for her cell phone, no.'s 3&4 pics of my boys for their cell phones, no.5's a pic of my works emblem for the main office number. I use them daily and find it very convenient to push them while driving. Never made a call accidentally from the pics, but I use a Palm belt holster and Radio Shack vent mount in the car.
    For the question of 'how many picture speed dials can be added' - I think the max is something like 65 or so - you just keep scrolling to the right. One friend of mine and I decided that we'd spend two hours one day to answer that question.

But - having really more than 5 or 6 (just about any more than the 5 that will fit on the main screen) is really more of a bother than it's worth. Since all you have to do to call ANYBODY in your contacts is just hit one or two letters of the first name, followed by [SPACE BAR], then one or two letters of last name, anyone in your address book is a max of five button presses away.

And I'm always surprised by people who think they need to use the Contacts app, and then scroll 9000 times to call people. No! Here's a best practice to make phone calling easy (yes most of us know this but there are some new folks here from time to time):

- first, disable the lookup field - it's superfluous, redundant and also not needed. (Menu/Preferences/Hide Lookup Field)
    - then, when you want to call someone/anyone in your contacts, just hit one or two letters of first name, then space, then one or two letters of last name. That's it - no need to pull up the contacts list, scroll, blah blah - none of that. Simple! Easy!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast