Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been considering buying a Treo 750 as a back up phone. I currently use an iPhone, but have found its rf reception to be poor. I travel frequently and wanted to get something that would have good rf reception, bluetooth, call quality, and a loud speakerphone. I currently use a Moto Q9h as a backup. It meets these needs, but it is just too wide. It doesn't feel good in the hand.

I have owned a Treo 650 and 700p. The 700p had a number of issues, which I won't repeat here, but these issues are what lead me to go to something different. I have no desire to return to the Palm OS - so that is out of the question.

So I am checking out the PDA phones and pick up the 750. First, impressions - it feels great in the hand. What a surprise. Way better than the Q9h. Matter of fact it feels better than the iPhone. So I start playing around with the phone. While I am disappointed by the 220 x 220 screen resolution, it doesn't seem to be that much of a problem. I also like the modifications that Palm has made to windows mobile.

So I am thinking - BUY! While it is a year old phone, it now comes with win mobile 6 and I have to admit, as a long time Treo user, I like the form factor.

So I grab the Assistant Manager at the store and start asking him about the performance of the phone. How is the RF reception, call quality, etc... He informs me, after a lengthy discussion, that he thinks I would be disappointed with the Treo and would likely return it. He mentions issues that the phone doesn't ring - missed alerts. That calls go directly to voicemail. Also he mentions random lockups that are occurring. He states that they have seen a lot of Treo 750s get returned. His advice - wait a couple months, there are a lot of things (which he can't mention) coming down the pipe. So I walk out of the store buying nothing.

I jump on the Treo Central boards and do see there are issues with missed alerts - phone not ringing, going to directly to voicemail. But everything I see related to this are with people who have win mobile 5 installed. It appears this is not an issue with win mobile 6. Most of the issues I have seen are all related to win mobile 5.

So here are my questions to anyone who has a Treo 750 running windows mobile 6:

1. How is your rf reception. Is it good in fringe areas. Does it handle the switch between 3g and edge without dropping out momentarily (AT&T rep said it doesn't).

2. Are calls going directly to voicemail without the phone ringing? Are there other alerts that are being missed?

3. Is the phone locking up daily. Does the phone shut off randomly?

4. How is the call quality? From the AT&T store, it seemed really good. Particularly since it was a noisy environment.

5. I travel frequently in NY, Ohio, Illinois, and Florida. If you are in any of those areas, how does the phone perform. For example, my iPhone tends to drop out in certain areas of NY. Particularly between the airport and midtown.

I realize that the At&t reps can be the single biggest sources of bad information on the planet. Hence my questions here.
    Quote Originally Posted by justleft View Post
    1. How is your rf reception. Is it good in fringe areas. Does it handle the switch between 3g and edge without dropping out momentarily (AT&T rep said it doesn't).mine works better than my Blackjack did in fringe areas

2. Are calls going directly to voicemail without the phone ringing? Are there other alerts that are being missed?never had this issue, but I installed WM6 the day I got it

3. Is the phone locking up daily. Does the phone shut off randomly?installed well known 3rd party apps and you shouldn't have any problems. Get a good task manager, watch your RAM and soft reset when you think it is getting sluggish

4. How is the call quality? From the AT&T store, it seemed really good. Particularly since it was a noisy environment.Mine is pretty good, mostly used with a WEP200 headset.

5. I travel frequently in NY, Ohio, Illinois, and Florida. If you are in any of those areas, how does the phone perform. For example, my iPhone tends to drop out in certain areas of NY. Particularly between the airport and midtown.not sure

I realize that the At&t reps can be the single biggest sources of bad information on the planet. Hence my questions here.BINGO!
    See my responses in red above...
    First off, the audio problem was WM5 related, and it was fixed with a downloadable patch from Palm long before WM6 even became available. WM6 is already patched. Calls going to voicemail without the device ringing would have been the same audio problem. (It was a sound driver issue that caused sound output to become muted when too many things accessed the driver.)

I've had mine almost a year and have never had lockup issues, nor does mine shut off randomly.

Call quality is great. Gets better reception than my last 2 phones. Having broadband HSDPA speed on 3G is another great plus. And with Internet Connection Sharing built into WM6, you can tether a laptop and be surfing the web in about 10 seconds.

I can't speak to how well it transitions between Edge and 3G. I know it works great on both but my area isn't fringe.

This device has got to be my favorite PDA device so far. My biggest beef, like you, was the small screen. I've long since adapted though.

That being said, while the AT&T rep was definitely ignorant, he wasn't totally full of crap. The Treo is a year old, and in human years, that's like 50-60 years old. It's almost reached retirement age. And the rumors of it's replacement by the new 800/850 have been circulating for a while.

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=unve...shows-its-face

Seeing as how it took Palm about 10 months to release WM6 update after it was officially announced, and NO date (or even an official name) have been put on the new device yet, it's up to you whether or not to wait. Either way, the 750 will continue to be a great device.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
  4. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    I agree with everything both the above posters have said. I have travelled internationally with mine & it never missed a beat.

I have had mine for exactly 8 months tomorrow & upgraded to WM6 in December. I have had my Treo longer than I have ever had any one phone (the Blackjack is a close second), if that shows how much I really do like it.

Having said that I do have one problem still, the phone will decide to not ring from time to time, it will vibrate but not produce the ringtone. There is fix mentioned in this forum, which is to put the ringtone to ascending, and after having done that I have had no problems.

Go for it.
    So here are my questions to anyone who has a Treo 750 running windows mobile 6:

1. How is your rf reception. Is it good in fringe areas. Does it handle the switch between 3g and edge without dropping out momentarily (AT&T rep said it doesn't).
    I have a commute that involves the phone flipping from Edge to GPRS to Edge to 3G. The ONLY time I've ever had a problem was when I was trying to access the web and talk on the phone, and it switched to 3G. Got disconnected in both realms, and that only ever happened once. Hasn't happened again. I get better and stronger signal than my previous phone (a Treo 650).

2. Are calls going directly to voicemail without the phone ringing? Are there other alerts that are being missed?
    No, and no. Always rings - and I haven't missed an alert yet.

3. Is the phone locking up daily. Does the phone shut off randomly?
    No, and no. It has locked up a sum total of once since I've owned it, and I suspect that was from a shady third party program not uninstalling correctly. Hard Reset and Restore from backup (Sprite is included with the 750) and I was back up and running with no hiccups in about 10 minutes.

4. How is the call quality? From the AT&T store, it seemed really good. Particularly since it was a noisy environment.
    Very good in my opinion, the bluetooth radio seems stronger than the 650's as well, because I was able to have the phone at one end of a hotel room, and walk to the door without any static at all.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    I have been using PDA since Palm III, Jornada, and iPaq's, I purchased a Treo 750 4 months ago, and have been very happy with it. I installed the WM6 the day I bought it, and have none of the issues you mention. As far a traveling I was up in NY, Larchmont and NY City, and the phone worked flawless.

I always ask what phone the salesman is using. That can give you an idea if he has a bias. Most of the employees I ran into seem to love the phone. Try it you can return it in 30 days anyway.
    I have had most of the Treo's and the 750 is by far the best. I never had any of the issues with WM5 and WM6 is even better. I've been looking at a new phone and can't find one that I like as much as it. I'm in NJ and have travelled back and forth into NYC as well as JFK. Never had a reception issue.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I have zero problems with the Treo 750 with WinMo 6.

Buy it.

If, after installing 3rd party apps, you find the device to "lock up" or behave badly, hard-reset (restore) the device and start from scratch.

I have a BB 8310 coming, but mostly just to screw around with. The Treo will stay the primary device for now.

EDIT: Sadly most people don't even open their eyes, much less look online for assistance. These are the folks who return the 750 and say that it sucks. Upgrading to WM6 is easy, and works much nicer than WM5.

Last edited by mrjasjit; 03/04/2008 at 02:28 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Based on the replies I got here, I went back to the AT&T store and bought the 750. The 750's with Win Mobile 6 are now in the AT&T stores, so I didn't even need to do the update. Ironically, the Assistant Manager, who was not recommending the 750, was given one to use in place of his Blackjack 2 - ah the ironies of life.
    Last edited by justleft; 03/04/2008 at 08:12 PM.
    I have been using the Treo 750v since December 2006. I have used a variety of pda's/smartphones including blackberries, tytns, q's and the Treo 750 is the best smartphone on the market right now.

The biggest problems come from users:
    - who do not pay attention to the programs they install
    - install too much to the device and not enough to the memory card.
    - who do not manage the history, internet cache.
    - update recent patches or upgrade latest version

Perfect real example. I have been using SPB Mobile Shell (i think ver 1.5), great program!!! I just installed 2.0 and it has lots of great and new features. However I am having some eratic behavior with momentary pauses and hangs. I will be uninstalling and going back to 1.5.

Great reception
    Great signal, even on 1 bar in a kitchen near or inside walk in coolers and freezers.

Windows Mobile 6 a must!
    SPB mobile Shell 1.5 has a great task manager.
    this phone rocks one-handed.
    Now pay attention to software thas has been well thouoght out for one handed use like Agenda One.

Anyway as you can tell I am a fan of the Treo 750.

Buy now and when the Treo 850 comes out sell the 750 on ebay and recoup a little.

Regards
    Last edited by graylion; 03/04/2008 at 08:42 PM.
    graylion
  11.    #11  
    I bought the 750 and been using it yesterday and today. Reception seems to be decent, better than the iPhone but not as good as the Moto Q9h. One issue that I am noticing, and it is mildly annoying, is a buzzing through the earpiece when someone is speaking. Almost as if the speaker is blown. I have the volume turned down, but I can still hear it. Wondering if this is and issue with all of the 750's, or maybe I got a bad one. Anyone else hearing this kind of buzzing through the earpiece? Buzzing occurs only when the person is speaking on the other end, so it has got to be related to the speaker in the earpiece. I don't hear it when I use the bluetooth headset.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    My 750's voice quality is excellent.
  13.    #13  
    The first day I used mine, it was excellent. The 2nd day this problem started. I wonder what day 3 will bring... I will be making more calls and seeing if the problem continues. It is a very slight vibration noise. I still have the factory piece of plastic on the phone (the one that comes on the screen as a protector for shipping) and that could be part of the issue. It has a tab that I just noticed extends over the speaker. It could be that is causing the noise. I'll put on a screen protector and see if the problem continues.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    My 750's voice quality is excellent.
    bought mine in October 2007. general observations-
    - I initially ran WM5. I did have some issues with the alert/not ringing thing, but Palm released a .cab to fix this known bug. Same thing with DST issue. In WM6, these are already fixed, so no issues.
    - I live in a rural mountain area, Breckenridge. Reception is awesome, and usu switches b/w Edge, GPRS, 3G, HDSPA, etc..
    - i use over the air, wirless Exchange Active Syn with my company's Exchange Server, and the push feature is incredible, though it eats battery life. I need to charge my phone every 36hrs, on avg. but that is due to Exchange Active Sync working non-stop from 8a-6p 5 days a week
    - phone has locked up about 5x total in the 5 months I've owned. Each time, a soft reset fixed the issue. Lock up has never made me miss or cut off a live call
    - call quality is excellent, better than my Razr
    - the form factor is nice, and though the Centro gets good reviews, the Centro to me seems very childish looking
  15. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    It has a tab that I just noticed extends over the speaker. It could be that is causing the noise. I'll put on a screen protector and see if the problem continues.
    That could definitely cause it. My Treo also has excellent voice quality.
  16.    #16  
    I haven't noticed the vibration sound today since I removed the plastic. The phone sound is crystal clear - this is far superior to the Treo 700p that I had gotten rid of 8 months ago.

I have been using an iPhone on and off for the last 8 months. I missed RSS feeds, searching on address book names, copy and paste, and a real keyboard. So, so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    That could definitely cause it. My Treo also has excellent voice quality.
    We'll you've already bought it, so I may be too late...

I've not had a great experience myself. I love the functionality, but it does not always work as it should. I've had WM5, WM6 unofficial release and the official WM6 (for several months now). I'm not sure if my issues are OS related, HW related or are a combination/interoperability issue:

1. hang-up, dial times are soooo slow. Much faster on my previous phone, a smart phone (HTC2520 or whatever model that was).
    2. Email problems constantly: won't open emails, won't send, error getting mail or sending mail, unable to send only (yes, have done contemporaneous tests to make sure it's not our servers) rebooting usually, not always fixes it.
    3. When using browser, get a white screen (only). Must reboot. Always fixes it.
    4. Phone freezes (everything). Reboot fixes it.
    5. Won't disconnect after send/receive, must reboot.

I reboot mine about 5 or 6 times a day when I'm traveling and really using it. It's been the same with every OS (though my 'consistent' problems have differed from version to version).

I thought the OS was the sole culprit, but going to the ATT site and reading the reviews of the 750 as well as those of the other PDA's, it becomes clear I'm not alone and the 750 is rated lower than other (yes, I know it does a bit more than non-touch screen phones) than say, the Moto Q9, Blackjack, etc.

Reading the reviews for each you see consistent pros/cons (e.g. - the tilt has some *serious* HW issues)..

My 2 cents...

Probably going to check out the Moto Q when my upgrade 'activates' in early May (I get mine pretty frequently as I'm sure others do as we have high rev accts) and see if I can deal with the lack of touch screen. Pluses and minuses to that...
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I have to chime in here. There are a few minor things about the 750 I don't like the screen and the slow to hang up issue, other than that, I keep coming back to the 750 as it is the best phone I've owned, I actually prefer it over my iPhone, I ended up selling the iPhone and kind of want one back.

Right now, I have my 750 running WM6, as far as apps I really on have an ebook reader on it, Palringo and Mobile Shell 2.0 which works great for me. I like my Blackjack 2 as a backup phone cause its a wonderful device, but there are just things like the threaded sms and the ease of one handed use that keeps me coming back to my 750. Very rarely do I ever use the phone's speaker, I almost always use bluetooth, but I've never had any issues with quality, the sound has always been great. I think I got the Blackjack 2 cause I wanted something new and shiny and couldn't wait for a Tilt to be cheaper.

I have seen the white screen browser issue, and I don't think its a Treo issue, cause my Blackjack2 and my mom's original Blackjack do the same thing, and also my old 8525 did the same.

The Treo gets a bad rep for some reason, cause you hear of more people with issues than you do with people that have never had a problem. I've made the mistake of selling my Treo twice and each time have really regretted it and ended up buying another one. The one I have now, I am not going to sell its like a trusted old friend at this point.
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    In fairness, all devices have issues of some sort (aside from my old StarTAC, which I've 'immortalized' in my mind). The question is how many and what.

This is all wild speculation based on anecdotal evidence, but:

1. Treos have more issues because they do more (and hence both the SW and HW are more complex). I'd likley have similar issues with another WM5/6 touch screen device (the high water line of WM devices) .
    2. More people have Treos than, say, a 8525 and other models that come and go more quickly, hence more reported issues.
    3. That said, the 8525 specifically, gets a lower rating on ATT.com, for and it has lots of reported issues (which support item 1).

That said, when I start conversations (e.g. - How do you like your Treo), in my experience most people I've talked to (both WM and Palm users) complain about issues (then again, *everyone* seems to hate their carrier).

I think IraMike hits it on the head when he says, "...there are just things like the threaded sms and the ease of one handed use that keeps me coming back to my 750."

These are specific things he likes about this device and, thus, is a fan. I bet if those things were important to me (they aren't, I email mostly and I don't need to use it one handed), despite the issues I have, I bet I wouldn't have chimed in here. I've certainly had devices I liked for other reasons and thought, "Hey, what's a few reboots a day." Sound familiar? Anyone?
  20.    #20  
    I have not experienced the issues you listed, with the exception of the white screen on occasion in Internet explorer. I found when this happened if I turned the radio on and off it would usually start working. A better alternative was to download and use the Opera browser.

I also have a Motorola Q9h. It is a very good phone, it just didn't feel right in my hand. Also missed the touchscreen. Further, I like the Palm modifications to windows mobile 6.

It is interesting to see the wide variety of experiences on the same devices. There has to be other variables to explain these differences. I bought my 750 with windows 6.0 already installed. I have found certain programs did not play nicely with others, and removed them once I discovered the issue. As I said before, so far so good. I am very happy with the phone. Haven't missed a call in the last week. Have not dropped a call (my iPhone dropped 3 to 5 calls a week).
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinBear View Post
    We'll you've already bought it, so I may be too late...

snip snip

Probably going to check out the Moto Q when my upgrade 'activates' in early May (I get mine pretty frequently as I'm sure others do as we have high rev accts) and see if I can deal with the lack of touch screen. Pluses and minuses to that...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast