1.    #1  
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/h...n-m536-qwerty/

Be afraid Palm. This is your market and your getting killed...

Hmmmm... flush screen, so pretty.
    Good find, my brutha! The 850 band missing on the GSM side is becoming less and less problematic, as more and more 3G towers go up. What do you guys think of my assertion?
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

blah, blah, treo-killer, blah, blah

anyone like broken records?
  4.    #4  
    You're talking to someone who loves his WX, but knows it is certainly long in the tooth at this point; anyone throwing out similar devices to the Palm's WM division (with similar form factor) needs to be taken seriously as taking a part of Palm's possible revenue. Lack of said revenue results in Palm being no more... no more Palm, no more Treo's.

It should be taken seriously, even if it is regarded as a broken record. Who knew the EEE would kill the way it is?! I mean, hell, even I am considering picking up one of them!
    Are we sure this is the killer and not the cousin? Isn't Asus the ODM for the 500v? So, could this not be the Treo 850 Drucker with a slightly different outfit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/h...n-m536-qwerty/

Be afraid Palm. This is your market and your getting killed...

Hmmmm... flush screen, so pretty.
    Just curious...how's this a Treo killer? Wouldn't there have to be GSM and CDMA versions to be a "Treo killer"?
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 03/03/2008 at 12:34 PM.
    Who cares? I want the 800w already. WHEN???????????????? Can anyone tell me how long it's been in the rumor mill? When was this 800w originally announced?
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Who cares? I want the 800w already. WHEN????????????????
    Let's see....it's Palm so the "When" usually means about the same length of time it takes to get frustrated enough to move-on to another manufacturer's device.

All kidding and sarcasm aside, it made it's unofficial debut in a presentation slide during Bill Gates' keynote at CES. He was talking about Windows Mobile and there were a few graphics of Windows smartphones in the background...the rumored Treo 800w was one of those phones. Seems to fit for April/May release but there's some hints at that time frame being delayed as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Just curious...how's this a Treo killer? Wouldn't there have to be GSM and CDMA versions to be a "Treo killer"?
    No Kidding. It's going to be a while before the US GSM carriers can compete with the CDMA carriers in network speed. Tmobile will be close whenever that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by instrmntuvdeth View Post
    No Kidding. It's going to be a while before the US GSM carriers can compete with the CDMA carriers in network speed. Tmobile will be close whenever that happens.
    Besides....the Treo was 'killed' along time ago on GSM considering the 'plethora' of devices available nowadays. Only a handful of smartphone decives are available in both varrients (CDMA and GSM).
    Even though Asus makes pretty nice laptops, the keyboard on this series is "eh" and...
    • They don't have many carrier relationships/deals yet
    • Are in a crowded market
    • This lacks quad GSM for the US

Palm in making in-roads in Europe and the 500v is doing pretty well, but Palm's main business is in the US and since this device has zero chance over here, not much of a concern.

Plus Asus has no carrier relationships here, like i-mate, which can be deadly.

re: time frames

Just because you show it off at a show, doesn't tell you anything about release dates. The Sony Xperia was shown a few weeks ago and it's plan to be released sometime "in the second half of 2008" which is quite the large range.

As discussed in the WMExperts podcast (#3) we don't know why the 800w is taking so long, but it has probably more to do with (a) carrier decision or (b) adding/refining features than any "problems" on Palm's end. Take into consideration that in the middle of your product development phase, you replaced your entire team and changed focus--having delays and reconsiderations are to be expected on new devices.

Or you can be like HP and announce devices in Sept 2007, delay one till February (ipaq 600), then cancel that one in the US and we're still waiting on the 900 series (ETA May). That kind of bad press (and i-mate's recent happenings) are things that Palm tries to avoid. And since Palm just doesn't make devices on a whim and hope that someone buys them, they have more solid footing in the market since their products are made-to-order.

Plus that 2.4 inch screen is a wee bit small w/ what looks like a lot of wasted screen real-estate--standard Treos are 2.6, which I hope carry over to the 800/850.

Oh and no, Asus is not making the 800.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Asus here in the US as I dig their laptops (they supposedly manufacture Apple's laptops too), but I don't see this as a slam-dunk yet for them. It takes quite a few tries to nail down the hardware/software thing and to figure out what makes a good smartphone.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/03/2008 at 03:02 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12.    #12  
    People... I did not post that link as a means of saying it's a TREO KILLER. I said Palm is getting killed in terms of losing out on valuable market space.

Granted it isn't a US phone... YET. I wouldn't put it past ASUS to eye this market considering the AWESOME response to the EEE. This was something merely to think about... telling me that it won't compete with the Treo is pure crap from anyone. A) The Treo hasn't even been formally announced in any way yet, and seeing it in a crappy Gates slide show doesn't confirm deek... B) Sometimes to turn around and release a phone that is European based in the US doesn'take much... a new chip here and a few filings later it could be US bound before we know it.

I am awaiting the 800 just like all the other eager beavers. I just thought it might be interesting to note. Bunch of savages in this town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    People... I did not post that link as a means of saying it's a TREO KILLER. I said Palm is getting killed in terms of losing out on valuable market space.

Granted it isn't a US phone... YET. I wouldn't put it past ASUS to eye this market considering the AWESOME response to the EEE.
    I understand that but what I was suggesting was wanting to enter the US market and actually successfully doing it are two separate things.

Just ask i-Mate who had a killer line up with their Ultimate series and look what is happening to them. Asus needs carrier deals to get market penetration. Selling them unlocked won't get them anywhere, so till we hear about those...

Along those same lines, there is ZERO difference between seeing a mockup on a PowerPoint presentation (800w) and seeing a demo unit at a trade show (Asus, i-Mate, Xperia, Shift, HP iPaq, etc).

They are both just as non-existent to the end-user--the latter though is easier to buy into since it "feels" more real, but it ain't.

I still think it's a nice phone though and hope Asus does get more market share as their stuff is pretty top notch.

ps lol, and don't take any of this stuff personally! it's all been worded fairly in this thread as far as I can tell ;-)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I understand that but what I was suggesting was wanting to enter the US market and actually successfully doing it are two separate things.

Just ask i-Mate who had a killer line up with their Ultimate series and look what is happening to them. Asus needs carrier deals to get market penetration. Selling them unlocked won't get them anywhere, so till we hear about those...

Along those same lines, there is ZERO difference between seeing a mockup on a PowerPoint presentation (800w) and seeing a demo unit at a trade show (Asus, i-Mate, Xperia, Shift, HP iPaq, etc).

They are both just as non-existent to the end-user--the latter though is easier to buy into since it "feels" more real, but it ain't.

I still think it's a nice phone though and hope Asus does get more market share as their stuff is pretty top notch.

ps lol, and don't take any of this stuff personally! it's all been worded fairly in this thread as far as I can tell ;-)

Never take it personally, its just a quote from a great movie. Just wanted people to see a different design and keep their minds open as WE ALL blindly go towards the pitcher of Kool-Aid.