Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    One of the sales representatives at verizon said that if I leave the phone to charge overnight, after the phone is full, it can hurt the battery life!
    Is that true!?
    Thanx in advance
    -Devin
    i let mine charge every night and my batter is fine been doing this for a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinF View Post
    One of the sales representatives at verizon said that if I leave the phone to charge overnight, after the phone is full, it can hurt the battery life!
    Is that true!?
    Thanx in advance
    -Devin
    Basically, a rechargeable battery can form a 'memory' if you charge it too often. This is actually what happened to my last phone. It got to the point that my phone would only last for about 5 MINUTES of talk time on a full charge.

What happens is that if you only use a small amount of you batteries charge and then you charge it, and then this process gets repeated frequently, the battery will eventually only recognize the small amount of power you are using and will not use the rest of the batteries charge.

This is not for all types of batteries, but it's a good rule of thumb with ANY rechargeable device more than a year or two old: drain the batteries completely before you charge it again. For my phone I bought a spare battery and a charger that will fit the phone AND the spare. Now I just drain my battery completely and swap out the batteries.

As for leaving the phone on the charger after it's fully charged, with MOST chargers available these days it will begin to trickle power to the battery after it's full, so it should not damage anything.
    Totally not true.

These devices use a Lion battery. Not the same as a Nicad.

I have been leaving my devices on the charger when full for years. I never had a Lion battery failure yet.

As I said above:

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
    This is not for all types of batteries
    And your response is exactly what the guy who sold me my last phone said. Years later, and my phone wouldn't hold a charge.
    Bacically....if I am home, my phone is on the charger....I have it hooked up if I am at 15%, 50%, 85%.....whatever!! I have had my phone for over a year now, and there is no sign of the battery running down faster or not charging. The idea of a battery having a 'memory' is true about a lot of rechargable batteries, but not the ones that come with our phones!!
    The phones are smart enough to basically stop charging the battery once it reaches 100%. If they didn't, it would overheat and explode. Seriously.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    ...And even if the phone DID have an older Ni-Cad or NiMH battery, leaving it in the charger still wouldn't cause a problem. Someone should compile a list of all the screwball things that wireless sales reps say...
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    ...And even if the phone DID have an older Ni-Cad or NiMH battery, leaving it in the charger still wouldn't cause a problem. Someone should compile a list of all the screwball things that wireless sales reps say...
    I don't think this forum had enough bandwidth for a list that size!!!!
    I charge mine everynight with no problem.
    You may want to check this link. Speaks for itself.

http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
    according to Palm, they said that you SHOULD charge it every night, because they may even IMPROVE battery life.
    As I said above:

And your response is exactly what the guy who sold me my last phone said. Years later, and my phone wouldn't hold a charge.
    This is true... However ANY chargable battery will eventually stop holding a charge, not matter HOW you treat it.
    As I said above:

YEARS later? Pretty much any phone/laptop battery is good for only about three years of normal use. Anything over that would be fantastic.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Yea thats kinda what I thought but just wanted to check again...
    Thanks...
    -Devin
    you can get OEM batteries on ebay for $5.... i have 5 of them. no worries.
    Treo 750, at&t wireless.
    The Treo user manual tells us to charge frequently and as often as one can.

I leave it on the charge every time I get a chance and leave it there. It's more than two years and I don't see more than 30% discharge most days... with all kinds of things happening in the background through out the day... ChatterEmail, backups, downloads, alarms etc.

on the other hand...

The Sony Vaio prefers to keep the battery at 50% charge to extend battery life when the laptop is plugged-in all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    YEARS later? Pretty much any phone/laptop battery is good for only about three years of normal use. Anything over that would be fantastic.
    Sorry, I mis-stated that. The phone wouldn't hold a charge very soon after I got it. The problem persisted for years, as I signed a contract. The problem at the time was I am not a heavy phone user, and used it so little and charged it so frequently the battery formed a 'memory'. As I didn't use it much anyway, I didn't care. However, after the contract expired I got hooked into the PDA idea, and after signing with sprint for their much more reasonable prices I worry about developing similar problems with my treo. Thus my buying a precautionary spare battery.

I have learned a lot from some of the posts in this thread, and I definitely feel more secure about my battery life. Either way, new batteries are very cheap these days. My spare cost me 9.99, and it is a bigger capacity than the original.
    Thus my buying a precautionary spare battery.
    I read somewhere that batteries must be "exercised" to keep them going and also that they deteriorate over time if left on the shelf.

- mvk
    the battery formed a 'memory'.
    That's the thing - li-ion don't have memory effect, just the ni-cd. It could well have been a old battery that was included in your phone, or just a manufacturing defect. It is stated in the article posted above, but not really in the thread, li-ion batteries deteriorate. After 2 years they will have max 30-40% of their original life left with general use. There is nothing you can do to prevent it (keeping it at constant temp/charge is somewhat rediculous to consider as a user - only for storage).

I recommend This battery since it's the same dimensions/weight as the orig battery, but has 45% more life. The ebay batteries are great for cheap, but you do get what you pay for. There was a test run over at ppcgeeks (though orig might have been on xda-developers, can't find the thread) that compared batteries for the 6700. The no-name brands on ebay worked fine, but they tended to be lower mAh then the actual rating (the 2400mAh ext. was really about 1800-1900).

The larger ext. are great too, but I don't want the extra size, that's the reason I switched to this phone in the first place
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast