Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Spri...le-a_2489.html

well folks phonearena reporting the first round of phones(April 16 release) on Sprint are going to be Q-chat phones, DC and a new BB no Treo 800 in sight. Looks like Q2 or Q3 for the 800W wonder what is the hold up.

that is too bad, I had heard March or April but with this news I am not going to hang out for 3 months plus for the 800W.
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    That's too bad but if the phone has kick-*** specs, then I don't mind the delay since my 700wx has served my needs for over 1 1/2 years already.
    Yup...Looks like I'm going to be BB-bound then..
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Yup...Looks like I'm going to be BB-bound then..
    I am thinking the same thing. Holding off the on my purchase since Dec and need to do somthing.
    Tritan

I spoke to our AT&T business rep who could actually speak about a Drucker/Treo 850 was and quoted that AT&T would not have it until 2009.

I am placing stock in the reps will have no idea when it is to be released.

Anyway, holding out hope....

Regards
    graylion
    Well, I'd just like to point out that the article above does not necessarily list all devices coming out in the near future for Sprint. It does not even pretend to claim such a thing - it only lists some devices on which they have some info on a Sprint release date.

Thus, I would not consider this a source for when the 800W will or will not be released through Sprint.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    Well, I'd just like to point out that the article above does not necessarily list all devices coming out in the near future for Sprint. It does not even pretend to claim such a thing - it only lists some devices on which they have some info on a Sprint release date.

Thus, I would not consider this a source for when the 800W will or will not be released through Sprint.
    I would think it would have been announed or leaked by now.
    Tritan

Delayed. And you're surprised??? This is Palm we're talking about here. Apparently, CDMA carriers will get it first anyway.

So what about an unbranded/unlocked GSM version directly from Palm? With the specs that have been reported, I'd be there in a New York minute to buy it the minute it comes out. Any news/rumors/wishful thinking with regards to that?
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Delayed. And you're surprised??? This is Palm we're talking about here. Apparently, CDMA carriers will get it first anyway.
    FYI, delays sometimes work both ways...that is certain carriers may be waiting till
    • Older stock is cleared out (700wx)
    • Coincide with launching of new services (RevA and/or QChat are possibilities)

Or maybe Sprint/Verizon just have certain time-frames to launch devices.

There is also the known shortage of certain components that are out of Palm's hands.

In other words, there are no clear reasons and there could be many.

Since Sprint nor Palm have ever commented publicly on the "800w" release and only some techy people are aware of it, neither company is in a position to have to defend itself either over "delays".

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    All i'd like to say is that I would love to remain a Palm customer. I think that my 700p is THE BEST phone out there when you consider what it's capabilitites are. It can do everything all it's competitors do...combined.... and that's almost right-out-of-the-box without any 3rd party apps (other than those ROM). It's definetly the jack of all trades...master of none.

However, this statement holds true only part of the itme as there's usually some 'bug' issue plauging it from operating properly. This is where I can no longer wait.

With 4 young children, demanding occupation and a wife who runs a home-based business at the same time, I just don't have the time to fart-around with a phone as problematic as this (also the main reason I switched to a Mac). I need something by April/May and with a possible delay, it doesn't look like it's going to be a Palm product.
    All i'd like to say is that I would love to remain a Palm customer. I think that my 700p is THE BEST phone out there when you consider what it's capabilitites are.
    If on Sprint, I'd say grab a Centro: it's a 700p, minus all the bugs and "issues". It's very fast and speedy. Then again, it might not be enough of an upgrade if that is what you are looking for...

12.    #12  
    All i'd like to say is that I would love to remain a Palm customer. I think that my 700p is THE BEST phone out there when you consider what it's capabilitites are. It can do everything all it's competitors do...combined.... and that's almost right-out-of-the-box without any 3rd party apps (other than those ROM). It's definetly the jack of all trades...master of none.

However, this statement holds true only part of the itme as there's usually some 'bug' issue plauging it from operating properly. This is where I can no longer wait.

With 4 young children, demanding occupation and a wife who runs a home-based business at the same time, I just don't have the time to fart-around with a phone as problematic as this (also the main reason I switched to a Mac). I need something by April/May and with a possible delay, it doesn't look like it's going to be a Palm product.
    Its funny this 800w looked to be the flag ship high end business users device the it seems the centro is emerging as the new flag ship device unexpectedly as it was supposed to be a teenie booper device. There seem to be alot of debate on the flagship 755p vs the centro and how there really is no internal difference. Its all a matter of keyboard and size(screen,keys) etc.
    Tritan

what a suprise another palm product that is delayed. the specs looked good on this 800 series device. but, by the time palm gets it out, it should be out dated. good job palm---at least you are not deviating from your past history on product launches!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God View Post
    -at least you are not deviating from your past history on product launches!
    Actually, according to the WSJ, the Centro launched ahead of schedule.

Like I said earlier, had Palm or the carriers announced a release date, then I think it would be fair to say it was "delayed". Since that is not the case, no one can say who is holding up who here e.g. what if the carrier wanted to launch it with WM 6.1 due to large enterprise clients requesting such a device?

That is exactly what happened with the Mogul & its delay: it was built for WM5, everyone changed their mind and wanted to add WM6 to catch the wave. (Of course HTC forgot to update the RAM, lol). So they did it and it added about 6 months to release (remember, carrier branded photos were floating around in late 2006).

In other words, there are delays because of problems then there are delays because you want to add new features, wait for old stock to be sold, have large enough quantities of components available, or other scheduled time-frames.

No need to assume any specific one at this point without further info.

Going one step further: Look at the "HTC video" issue which is from a problem with the MSM7xxx chipset.

Look at all the flack they are catching--well, guess what the 800w will most likely use? You think it wise for Palm to release a device with the same flaws? That could be at issue, amongst Qualcomms other legal troubles...
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/27/2008 at 06:25 PM.

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Actually, according to the WSJ, the Centro launched ahead of schedule.

Like I said earlier, had Palm or the carriers announced a release date, then I think it would be fair to say it was "delayed". Since that is not the case, no one can say who is holding up who here e.g. what if the carrier wanted to launch it with WM 6.1 due to large enterprise clients requesting such a device.
    the leaked schedule for sprint stated it would be launched Q1 and we are knocking on Q2 with no leaks or solid facts on it yet. I would dare to say "delayed". Palm can't keep a secret like Apple so we should have had some evidence for an April release by now . The qchat phones all where found on the FCC website a month ago with leaked pics of the curve a few weeks ago and nothing on the Treo 800W .this tells me it will be May or later some sites I have seen are saying June thats too bad.
    Tritan

Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    the leaked schedule for sprint stated it would be launched Q1 and we are knocking on Q2 with no leaks or solid facts on it yet. I would dare to say "delayed". Palm can't keep a secret like Apple so we should have had some evidence for an April release by now . The qchat phones all where found on the FCC website a month ago with leaked pics of the curve a few weeks ago and nothing on the Treo 800W .this tells me it will be May or later some sites I have seen are saying June thats too bad.
    Roadmaps are one thing, but release dates are another.

Like I said, the Mogul had a roadmap too that was not met because they wanted to add WM6 to the device (this only came out a few months ago on Sprints Buzz site).

QChat phones were found on the FCC site: true. Guess they also didn't have confidentiality agreements. GSM Centro docs did not go up till 3 days after it was being sold by AT&T. Heck, I posted the FCC ID for the 800w (O8F-715) but good luck finding it the FCC database--its not there (yet).

Trust me, I want this phone as much as the next guy, but we have no idea why it is taking longer than expected: if they are making the screen flush, adding WM6.X, testing out QChat or maybe just fixing a ton of bugs--we just don't know.

But, if the delay is to add features or refine function, I guarantee you the users and Palm would prefer to launch that device over one with regrets.

Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    I believe leaked is the key word in your statement though, it was never meant to be an official release date for consumers. Internal deadlines get pushed more often than not, so I still side with Malatesta here

Just my opinion though...

EDIT: I guess Malatesta was typing at the same time
    Quote Originally Posted by Pibe38 View Post

EDIT: I guess Malatesta was typing at the same time
    lol

but you were waaay more concise

If on Sprint, I'd say grab a Centro: it's a 700p, minus all the bugs and "issues". It's very fast and speedy. Then again, it might not be enough of an upgrade if that is what you are looking for...
    No thanks...too small for my hands. The 650 - 755 form factor is just about right...maybe a bit on the thick side, but width/height is just right.

Also, I was hoping to move to something 'fresher' as Garnett feels tired. That's where the 800w with the newest Win Mob (OK 6.0 not 6.1 maybe) was my "great white hope".
  20.    #20  
    lol

but you were waaay more concise
    I agree the date can change. I have just been holding out since November to change just sold the trusty TX a few weeks ago and hoping to get into a smartphone soon. I think the centro is a soild device but would kick myself to get a centro and then the announcement you know !
    Tritan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast