Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't know if the Treo 800W is going to be delayed or not, but I can't believe that people still believe that the cause of all delays is the manufacturer. I'm not saying Palm doesn't have a role in this matter. Obviously they do, but people continue to exclude the carriers from this issue of delays.

People still have absolutely no idea how much control North American cellular carriers have over the devices that are released on their networks. I remember the whole Treo 700P maintenance release issue. That maintenance release was prepared MONTHS before it was eventually released and when it was finally released, it was released on Sprint first. Ironically, who had the most problems with the MR? Verizon, second out of the gate.

Then look at the Treo 755? Remember Palm's financial statement about how their revenues were down because a carrier had not sold one of their handsets in the quarter that they (Palm) had planned? Everyone knew that was Verizon with the 755.

I look forward to Palm getting their act together better than they have over the last couple of years. I especially look forward to them getting their new operating system out there. But just try not to forget that its eventually up to the carrier as to when it hits and their motivations are not even vaguely in sync with either the manufacturer or even with the average consumer more often than not.
    Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    I agree the date can change. I have just been holding out since November to change just sold the trusty TX a few weeks ago and hoping to get into a smartphone soon. I think the centro is a soild device but would kick myself to get a centro and then the announcement you know !
    No doubt...

Normally, I would be weary of the 800w being delayed, but Palm since Elevation has been quite serious about getting back into the market and at this point my thoughts are any delays are intentional to add/improve the device, not because of problems--but that's my gut and I'm willing to hear any insider info that agrees with that or contradicts.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    I don't know if the Treo 800W is going to be delayed or not, but I can't believe that people still believe that the cause of all delays is the manufacturer. I'm not saying Palm doesn't have a role in this matter. Obviously they do, but people continue to exclude the carriers from this issue of delays.

People still have absolutely no idea how much control North American cellular carriers have over the devices that are released on their networks. I remember the whole Treo 700P maintenance release issue. That maintenance release was prepared MONTHS before it was eventually released and when it was finally released, it was released on Sprint first. Ironically, who had the most problems with the MR? Verizon, second out of the gate.

Then look at the Treo 755? Remember Palm's financial statement about how their revenues were down because a carrier had not sold one of their handsets in the quarter that they (Palm) had planned? Everyone knew that was Verizon with the 755.

I look forward to Palm getting their act together better than they have over the last couple of years. I especially look forward to them getting their new operating system out there. But just try not to forget that its eventually up to the carrier as to when it hits and their motivations are not even vaguely in sync with either the manufacturer or even with the average consumer more often than not.
    Don't listen to the crackberry podcast then . They talk about how Palm is circling the drain and its a dieing OS . That is why its so important for the carrier or Palm to get there act together and roll this thing to show people the are still a player. Treo 800 out and centro adjustment threw 09 then Nova they might just pull threw.
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    tritan;

I would not claim that there is no "internal difference" between the 755p and Centro at all. For starters, the Centro apparently has re-engineered hardware oriented to POS and not a dual WinMob/Palm OS design like the 700w/700p were. The Centro has the best performance of any NVFS Treo I've ever used. In fact, it's arguably one of the snappiest NVFS devices EVER from Palm. It also has good reception and voice quality and apparently (Mal, correct me if I am wrong here) BT 2.0-compatible hardware even though the BT stack in FrankenGarnet doesn't support it.

The Centro does have a bit smaller DBheap/cache than the 700p & 755p but it actually has more available RAM out of the box (~68.8mb) as well as a considerably better & up to date software bundle. Finally, there are a few ROM/OS tweaks that are nothing major but still nice little touches. You can read about those http://blog.treonauts.com/2007/10/palm-centro-sof.html

If you can live with the weak screen, weak keyboard, weak battery, and small/fragile/hard to access microSD card slot, then the Centro is an overall better peforming, more robust device.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    vaporware like the flopeo
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by pump14
    vaporware like the flopeo
    errr...methinks you need to learn your terms first. Vaporware means there are none around in existance, not functioning, never made it to manufacture...but there are foleos, they work, even Engadget has one.

Evidently the Sony Xperia is vaporware too...?

hkklife: I agree with all that...though I would not really say the screen, body & kb are "weak", just maybe smaller, lol (but I know what u meant)--the screen quality is prett darn good though...

Not to go too far off-topic, but my wife has been using a Centro for about a month now and she is demanding her 650 back. She is sick of the weak speaker, creaky battery door, awful and inconsistent battery life (I've tried everything- even when the battery life is "good", it's still not very long). I love the form factor but she needs something with reliable battery life.

Hopefully the 800w higher-priced flagship won't suffer from the same issues.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    You must be using a third party app that's draining the battery? Some have reported that Chattermail can drain the battery a bit faster than Versamail. With no third party apps the battery life on my Centro is great. I think the trick is to find the right mix of apps that play well together.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I agree with BigTreo on this one. Among my friends, family and co-workers using Centros, none have experienced adverse battery performance(for a smartphone.) It's generally understood that the battery life is not great; however, most users make it through a day. At this point, I'm not sure if we can expect too much more than that for an active device of the current generation.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    No doubt...

Normally, I would be weary of the 800w being delayed, .
    This is factually incorrect. Just because phonenews has a list of phones released in Sprint in April does not mean Palm won't be releasing anything in that month. Nobody announced a delay. Just another bad assumption.
    It seems to me that this thread should be deleted or the thread title changed. Right now it's the first thing you see when you go into the 800w section. The title seems to be so sure of itself and then you find out that it's not based on anything. If you don't bother to read through the thread you may never figure that part out though. People can be very easily misled by this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    It seems to me that this thread should be deleted or the thread title changed. Right now it's the first thing you see when you go into the 800w section. The title seems to be so sure of itself and then you find out that it's not based on anything. If you don't bother to read through the thread you may never figure that part out though. People can be very easily misled by this.
    Well, I've heard from some peeps a few weeks back that June is the new month to salivate over, fwiw.

Certainly this is a tricky issue: we know from internal Sprint & Verizon docs that the 800w was delayed from late 2007 till ?, so in that sense, it is delayed.

OTOH, since we don't know why it is delayed and also the fact it was never officially announced by anyone, it's not really fair to judge the situation from our ignorance of the matter.

Well, it has so many great specs, but at this point, you might as well add HSUPA to it. Leave the already perfect form factor alone. The Centro is awful in my opinion. The one they just released for AT&T? What's with the green buttons with the white backdrop? It looks like someone threw up and said, dial on that, moth******...lol
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, I've heard from some peeps a few weeks back that June is the new month to salivate over, fwiw.

Certainly this is a tricky issue: we know from internal Sprint & Verizon docs that the 800w was delayed from late 2007 till ?, so in that sense, it is delayed.

OTOH, since we don't know why it is delayed and also the fact it was never officially announced by anyone, it's not really fair to judge the situation from our ignorance of the matter.

thank you . My point exactly
    Tritan

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    What's the fuss? People have been saying June for a while now. In fact, that's my rumortastic guess!
    Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Spri...le-a_2489.html

well folks phonearena reporting the first round of phones(April 16 release) on Sprint are going to be Q-chat phones, DC and a new BB no Treo 800 in sight. Looks like Q2 or Q3 for the 800W wonder what is the hold up.

that is too bad, I had heard March or April but with this news I am not going to hang out for 3 months plus for the 800W.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but could it be that it won't launch on Sprint then because it is actually launching on Verizon first?
    No I don't think Verizon will get it before Sprint just because of the delay.

--James
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Not to go too far off-topic, but my wife has been using a Centro for about a month now and she is demanding her 650 back. She is sick of the weak speaker, creaky battery door, awful and inconsistent battery life (I've tried everything- even when the battery life is "good", it's still not very long). I love the form factor but she needs something with reliable battery life.

Hopefully the 800w higher-priced flagship won't suffer from the same issues.
    From past WM devices they usually have worse battery life then there palm counterparts.
    Tritan

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    No I don't think Verizon will get it before Sprint just because of the delay.

--James
    I thought about this too. Perhaps the Sprint "delay" is actually the result of Verizon's lengthy testing and possible exclusivity. Seems to me that last year we saw the 800w on a Verizon roadmap too...maybe even before or around the same time we saw it on a Sprint roadmap.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast